Wolf at Heart

By Whisper486

. : Book One : . Melody is a member of one of the five tribes of animal shapeshifters who live beyond the hum... More

Notice
Prologue
Chapter One: The Ceremony
Chapter Two: First Encounter
Chapter Three: Friendly Fire
Chapter Four: Sea Serpent Scandal
Chapter Five: Remembering Them
Chapter Six: Fight in the Forest
Chapter Seven: Bandit Trouble
Chapter Eight: The Message
Chapter Nine: Silent Escape
Chapter Ten: The Lupine Camp
Chapter Eleven: Midnight Feast
Chapter Twelve: A Hunter's Advice
Chapter Thirteen: Left or Right
Chapter Fourteen: The Instructors
Chapter Fifteen: Stable Life
Chapter Sixteen: Training
Chapter Seventeen: His Perspective
Chapter Eighteen: Into the Woods
Chapter Nineteen: Surprise Attack
Chapter Twenty: The Hunters
Chapter Twenty One: The Predators
Chapter Twenty Two: Meeting Him
Chapter Twenty Three: Wolf and Raven
Chapter Twenty Four: Visions
Chapter Twenty Five: Yes or No
Chapter Twenty Six: Paranoid
Chapter Twenty Seven: Welcome Home
Chapter Twenty Eight: Problems
Chapter Twenty Nine: Sun's Chosen
Chapter Thirty: His Memories
Chapter Thirty One: Discussion
Chapter Thirty Two: Flashback
Chapter Thirty Three: Aftermath
Chapter Thirty Four: Confusing Feelings
Chapter Thirty Five: To Think
Chapter Thirty Six: Plans
Chapter Thirty Seven: Sharing
Chapter Thirty Eight: Captivated
Chapter Thirty Nine: Wrong Captive
Chapter Forty: Stolen Property
Chapter Forty One: Last Warning
Chapter Forty Two: Another Perspective
Chapter Forty Three: The Raven's Claw
Chapter Forty Four: Dominance Game
Chapter Forty Five: Alpha's Command
Chapter Forty Seven: Tomorrow Night
Chapter Forty Eight: The Deal
Chapter Forty Nine: Scars
Chapter Fifty: His Worries
Chapter Fifty One: Tight Boundaries
Chapter Fifty Two: Mistakes Made
Chapter Fifty Three: Double Crossed
Chapter Fifty Four: Unexpected Help
Chapter Fifty Five: A Mysterious Man
Announcement
Chapter Fifty Six: Awoken
Chapter Fifty Seven: Training Begins
Chapter Fifty Eight: Unspoken Promises
Chapter Fifty Nine: Hidden Waterfall
Chapter Sixty: Heated Moments
Chapter Sixty One: The Festival
Chapter Sixty Two: Secrets Revealed
Chapter Sixty Three: A Day Off
Chapter Sixty Four: Risky Assessment
Chapter Sixty Five: Icy Barriers
Chapter Sixty Six: Earthen Explosion
Chapter Sixty Seven: Lost Relations
Chapter Sixty Eight: Final Oblivion
Epilogue
Afterword
Notice

Chapter Forty Six: Bandages

22 6 0
By Whisper486

Extra Update :)

I opened my eyes slowly, my head pounding. Turning my head, I winced as the world dipped and spun around me.

"You're finally awake."

I tried to pinpoint where the voice was coming from. I couldn't make out who was speaking.

"Do you know how worried I was?" The person asked. "You almost died."

Blinking, I saw the figure come into focus.

"Ash?" I said. Or tried to say. My voice came out scratchy and rough.

"Yep" he replied lightly, but I could see the conflict in him. "It's me."

"Where am I?"

"We're at your friend's place."

Looking around, I saw unfamiliar dark wooden walls. The small room with a single window and a door that presumably led to the rest of the building. I let my gaze recenter on him.

Ash was sitting on a rickety chair, his head resting on his fist. His gray eyes locked on mine and I saw how angry he was. He might've been able to hide his emotions from me before, but now it was evident to me that he was upset.

"What's wrong?" I asked, then regretted the question the instant it left my mouth.

"What's wrong?" Ash repeated, putting his head in his hands and letting out a low chuckle. "I should've known you would've gone to the Raven's Claw."

That...doesn't really answer my question.

He looked up as I got into a sitting position, my back against the bed's headboard. I glanced down at myself, trying to recall what had happened.

"Wolves," I said suddenly. "They attacked."

"Yeah," Ash said quietly, straining to keep his voice calm. "They did."

I lifted a hand to my neck. Bandages were wrapped around all the way to my left shoulder. My arms were also covered in white cloth. And my right leg.

"They didn't heal?" I asked, surprised. Usually, my wounds disappeared or healed within hours. Perks of being a super human-wolf person.

Ash furrowed his brow, glancing at the cloth. "No."

His voice told me that he didn't know why either.

I focused all my attention on him, really checking to see what was wrong. He was less talkative than usual, and it worried me.

Or...was he worried about me?

He must've seen the question in my face and let out a slow breath.

"I found you," Ash started, his voice trembling with concealed emotion. "On the ground outside of town. There were these shabby bandages wrapped around your body. You were bleeding from so many different places..." He paused and collected himself for a moment. "Your friend was next to you. He was knocked out and injured too. He woke up and told me the directions to his place before he passed out again. And...yeah."

He was worried about me. Why?

You know, I answered myself. You just don't want to think about it right now.

I looked down, clenching and unclenching my hands to judge the pain. Maybe I was doing it to distract myself. I didn't know. I didn't know anymore.

Then Ash put his hand on my arm, stilling me.

"Don't," he said.

My heart was racing again, but not from adrenaline. "Huh?"

He elaborated. "Don't hurt yourself."

"I won't," I said simply. "Where's Adrian?"

Ash glanced up as if he'd just remembered. "Oh, oh yeah. He's in the living room with some other person. His roommate or something."

Roommate?

I moved over so that my legs were over the side of the bed. "Did you tell him about the 'Chosen' thing yet? And is he it?"

Ash shook his head. "He knows about the Chosen thing, but he doesn't know that we're it. I haven't asked him if he's the Earth's Chosen yet."

I nodded.

"Maybe it's time to find out."

With Ash's help, I managed to stand and slowly make my way to the door. I picked up my items on the way, rolling my eyes when he insisted on holding my satchel. He shot me a quick look when I reached my hand forward for the doorknob, warning me. 

Even breathing hurt, but it was bearable.

I turned the knob, stepping into the 'living room.' Adrian was at the table, sitting across from a girl about our age. I hesitantly waved.

Adrian caught sight of me and grinned back. "Hey. Finally awake?"

Guilt washed over me like a tide. How am I supposed to tell him that his brother died?

How am I supposed to tell him that it was my fault?

"Yeah." My voice came out scratchy and I cleared my throat. I nodded to the other girl. "Hey."

She nodded back politely but sat slouched in her chair. "Hi. Adrian's told me about you."

I glanced at him. "He has?"

Adrian coughed. "I should probably introduce you guys. Mel, this is Trista. Trista, this is Melody. Trista's my girl."

I barely covered a shocked look. Since when did he get a girlfriend?

"We met at the post-Ceremony festival at the town square," Adrian clarified. He knew me too well.

Ash caught our attention. "Hi, I'm Ash. Okay moving on. We need to talk. Preferably alone."

Adrian understood and sent an apologetic smile to Trista. "Would you mind stepping out for a while? Sorry, but some weird kinds of stuff been happening lately. I can fill you in later."

Trista returned the smile. "Sure. I'll be outside."

Once she'd left, I commented to Adrian absent-mindedly, "You've never liked anyone that much before. What's up?"

He sent me a dorky grin and I knew he wasn't faking his affection. "She's just...she's great."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah, spare me."

Ash was shaking with silent laughter but quickly schooled his face into submission. His eyes were still glittering with mirth when he asked, "Alright, so I'm going to be blunt with this --"

Adrian pointed a finger and mimed shooting. "Come at me."

"-- but what kind of weird stuff's been happening?" Ash finished.

He thought for a moment. "Off of the top of my head, I can say that these shadowy things have been patrolling around the perimeter of the town. Our tribe leader's been trying to get rid of them but whenever anyone gets close, they vanish. People are hearing whispers about these element wielding bunch of people. And apparently, they're from the Lupine, Avian, and Feline so far. The last visitors said they're heading for the Serpentine next. I'm not too worried though."

I heard nothing about the Lupine's destruction and the Feline attack. The leaders must've been keeping it under their hats as to not cause mass panic.

And I don't know what happened to the Avians either. When I tried to bring it up with Ash, he clearly looked in pain and I dropped the subject.

I ventured to ask a question. "Do you know who the three people were and why they're coming here?"

Adrian shook his head. "No clue. I just know that there's a grey wolf, raven, and lion in the group."

Nodding, I couldn't help but ask, "What do you think of these people?"

He shrugged. "As long as they're not trying to hurt people I think it's all good. I'm not sure about the element thing though. It's a bit far fetched."

Understandable. But that meant news hadn't really spread yet. And the tribes had to be prepared if they were going to survive the next attack.

Should we tell him? I asked Ash silently, prayed that he'd understand.

He shook his head. Not yet.

Okay...so now what?

Ash took over. "Alright so since there's one from three tribes already, it makes sense that there'd be a guy from the Serpentine, right?"

"Yep."

"Who do you think the person is?"

Adrian shrugged indifferently again. "Dunno. I've never really believed in the higher up deities. They've never helped us out."

I looked over at Ash. So was he the Earth's Chosen or not?

Ash glanced down and thought. He shook his head and lifted his shoulders. I don't know.

Frustrated, I stood. "I'm gonna be outside for a bit. It's hot in here."

"Yeah, sure," Adrian said sheepishly. "That's what comes with living in a swamp."

Ash picked up the conversation as I left, keeping Adrian from becoming too suspicious. Their voices faded away as I found the door and opened it to the outside.

I breathed in the humid air, trying to calm my racing heart.

Adrian's backyard was tiny. It only consisted of a tiny, wilting tree and a standing swing chair. The grass was basically drowning in puddles of water splashed everywhere. At the corner of the house, a spiderweb glistened with drops of dew. The sun was still partially covered by clouds, meaning that shadows dappled over the surroundings.

How many more days until the competition?

And how many more lives would be lost before we stopped the Predators?

That brought me to a pause.

How do we stop them anyway?

I had no clue. Why hadn't I thought about this before?

Just focus on healing, then do whatever. I can't help anyone unless I take care of myself first.

I flicked out a finger, making a puddle of water swirl around. Another wave of regret passed over.

If only I could've done this before. No one would've died in the Lupine camp. If I was more powerful, no one would've died at all.

Raising my finger, I made the water rise in a little orb and spun it through the air.

Then I heard a choked voice behind me.

"Melody?!"

I turned so quickly that my neck hurt.

Adrian was staring at me with his mouth open. 

Or more importantly, he was staring at the orb of water that was still prancing around mid-air.

(Side Note: ... What do you think Adrian's reaction is going to be? Any thoughts on Ash or Melody?)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

399K 12.6K 39
Lucy Parker Your average eighteen-year-old girl right? Wrong. When Lucy was eleven she shifted into a huge red fox. When she shifted she got this 'vo...
360 38 13
Sequel to My Friend is a Vampire The Originals and it's the 4th book Andrea's life has change forever when she and Kasey drive off Rosen Falls Bridge...
26.4K 1.6K 58
Lunas are revered. Lunas are loved. Lunas are protected. Chosen by Alpha of the Southern River Border, Isabel is none of these. Isabel cleans herse...
3K 131 23
I look as she yells at my beta for making her friend mad, and I can't help but think about her. She is always going to be my world, no matter what. W...