One New Message | jjk ✓

By SingularitaeAddict

You have one new message. Reply or ignore? More

II. Uninstall App?
III. Bonus Chapter: His Journey

I. Install App?

12.2K 403 1K
By SingularitaeAddict

***
This story is a(n early) birthday present and is dedicated to the wonderful sarcastrophist 💜

***

One of these days Shan was going to stop listening to her friends' crazy ideas. Signing up for a profile at a dating site seemed really fun when she was chugging on the bottle of tequila but now, when she was actually stuck with reading messages from horny guys hitting on her, she wasn't so amused.

The truth was, she desperately needed a distraction after the last guy she went on a couple of dates with turned out to be a complete tool, seeing several women at the same time. Shan was already so fed up with men in general that she couldn't care less when she had to tell him things between them were over. At least she had the decency to lie and tell him the eternal cliché "it's not you, it's me".

He was heartbroken, or so it seemed, until later that week when Shan spotted him at the very same restaurant he took her, only this time he was with a new girl.

Later that same night her friends had enthusiastically told her about a new dating app that was apparently very in at the moment, encouraging her to try it out – BigHitMeUp.com. Shan had never registered at dating sites, she had always thought people who use those to be pathetic and desperate.

But if she wanted something new and exciting to happen in her life, she had to at least try and get out of her comfort zone, right? It wasn't difficult for her friends to convince her further and under the influence of the alcohol soon enough there she was, scrolling through profiles of random men in her area.

It wasn't until the next morning when the hangover set in along with the terrible realization that she had, in fact, joined a dating site.

Struggling to keep her eyes focused on the phone screen, she groaned at the sight of how many notifications she had. It seemed like her friends drunkenly choosing the photo where she was wearing a tight strapless black dress as her profile pic had worked in the end, earning her the approval of several men.

DomDaddyV: hey kitten, you'd look crazy hot in a maid's costume ;) have you ever been dommed, baby girl

AgustD: hey there babe, I'm a very successful music producer and I make $900k a month, want me to take you on my yacht?

WorldwideSuckjin: fuck just seeing your pic made me horny. can you help me with my boner

DestructorOfPanties94: Hello, Shan. You're a very beautiful and attractive girl and I'd like to know more about you. May I take you out on a date? I'd be more than happy to make your acquaintance.

JayDope: oof babe. your eyes would match the color of my bed sheets

JamlessJibooty: my fingers may be small but they sure know their way around a woman's body

BangBangPD: are u into older men sweetheart? come to Oppa

Shan couldn't really focus on the words at first. However, her attention was instantly drawn to another message at the bottom of her inbox, its sender mysteriously didn't have a profile picture.

JohnCook: Is that a Slytherin scarf in the back?

Shan scoffed in disbelief, her palm slapping against her forehead. Her body and half of her boobs were on full display in that picture, and what that person noticed was the Slytherin scarf peeking from the upper left corner of the photo that she had forgotten to put away that day after having one of her Harry Potter movie marathons.

Without further hesitation, she started typing angrily.

Shan: yeah, so?

Short and simple, and as she realized only after sending the message, a little bit mean. She didn't want to be rude, but her irritation slightly flared when she noticed how brightly this John Cook person's message contrasted with the other guys who had messaged her admiring her looks. Was he by any chance messing with her?

And what kind of a name is John Cook?

A dumb one, that's for sure.

Her phone buzzing in her hand quickly snapped her out as the words appeared on the screen.

JohnCook: Oh nothing. Gryffindor guy here, it's a pity you guys never even once got the House Cup because of us always snatching it under your noses ;)

Shan's green eyes widened as she let out a huff at the stupid message. Not only didn't he praise her looks, he also dared insult her House. She tossed her phone to the side. She wasn't going to let some nerdy obnoxious nobody that was probably too ugly to put a profile pic of himself mess with her brain.

It hadn't been one day yet and this dating site was already starting to annoy the hell out of her. Shan turned around in her bed, burying her face in the pillow as the hammering headache intensified. Just as the thought of uninstalling the app crossed her mind, her eyelids grew heavier and heavier until she dozed off into deep slumber again.

Maybe later, when her head stopped hurting like a bitch.

***

It was another party night for Shan as she made her way into the club, finding her friends at their usual spot at the bar. Ten tequila shots later and the room was already swirling. The music was so loud that it made her skin tingle. She couldn't even hear the chatter of the people around her over the roar of the speakers. Neon lights flashed in her face, making her wince.

Her mind in a frenzy, she was still bored. There was nothing new and interesting in the same old club she went to every week. Same old people, same dumb music. She stared off into the dancefloor mindlessly, observing the crowd of people dancing. She reached for her phone in her purse, pulling it in and unlocking the screen.

JohnCook: hey, what are you up to?

Ugh, that guy again.

AgustD: mmm you're gorgeous in that dress babe, you'd look great on my yacht

This was his response at Shan sending him a selfie after she had done her make up and put on her dress. Over the past few days, she had exchanged a few messages with this AgustD guy. His name was Yoongi and he seemed nice, even though apparently he was weirdly obsessed with his yacht.

The words were blurry in front of her as she struggled to accommodate her eyes to see better.

AgustD: I want to see you

Shan: I cannt' rn I;M at a clubB with my frriends.,

AgustD: want me to come pick u up?

AgustD: text me ur address princess

Wanting to get out of that boring club as soon as possible, Shan would have gladly texted Yoongi the address if only the room would stop spinning. She frowned in obvious displeasure when she realized her hands didn't listen to her. Struggling to keep her balance, she staggered backward and dropped her phone on the ground.

"Shit!" Shan hissed, crouching to frantically search for the small object. Her phone was valuable to her, it contained almost all of her personal information. Losing it now would be the last thing she needed.

"Looking for this?" someone yelled over the music as a pair of Nike Air Max Goadome boots appeared before her, their owner leaning downwards to meet her gaze. Shan looked up and was instantly met with the softest deep doe eyes she had ever seen. Sobered from the scare of losing her phone a little bit, she somehow regained her balance to stand up, facing the stranger that was now holding her phone in his hand.

"Yes, thank you," she was horrified to realize she was slurring the words so she cleared her throat, hoping he hadn't noticed.

"You should be more careful. This place is so cramped, someone could have easily snatched it," he warned, but Shan didn't seem to pay attention to his words while she was admiring his lustrous ebony bangs cascading over deep black eyes, sucking her in like bottomless pools of ink.

His hair looked so soft, she'd give anything to touch it. She didn't realize how her hand shot to his head, her fingers brushing against the strands lightly as she marveled at the warm hue.

"What-," his midnight eyes widened as he stared at her in bewilderment, rooted to his spot. Shan wasn't the least bit bothered by his astonished look, the alcohol circulating through her system washing away every last ounce of shame she had in her body.

"Your hair is so soft," she mumbled. Feeling oddly poetic all of a sudden, she determined the color of his hair reminded her of the earth after the summer rain. He started laughing, flashing a perfect set of white teeth and throwing his head back as his shoulders started shaking with amusement.

"Looks like someone's had too much to drink," he chuckled, revealing a set of flawless teeth and leaving Shan to wonder how the hell did he hear her over the thundering music. Was she talking so loudly? "Do you need someone to get you home?" he peered into her eyes.

"Noo," Shan protested, her lips curling down in a pout. "I'm here with my friendsss."

The man's gaze drifted somewhere over her shoulder as he raised an eyebrow. "Are that your friends?" he questioned as Shan glanced over at the girls she had come here with only to discover they were each making out with a different guy already. "They seem rather busy."

"Traitorss," Shan grumbled darkly. "We were having a girls' night."

"I'm leaving now, so if you'd like I could give you a ride to your place."

Shan's emerald eyes darted to and fro the stranger and her friends as she nibbled on her lip hesitantly. As reluctant as she was about getting in a stranger's car, she really wanted to get out of that smoky club already, get rid of the uncomfortable stilettos that were causing her blisters and of that tight dress that prevented her from breathing freely.

She glanced up at the man again, the frown on her forehead getting only deeper as she thought it over and over again. Someone this innocently looking couldn't possibly be a serial killer, right?

"Okay," she agreed finally as her lungs deflated in a slow exhale. She didn't even bother telling the other girls that she was leaving, she didn't want to interrupt whatever they were doing with their mouths. They'd find out eventually.

Shan was glad that he walked in front of her, she really didn't want him to witness her 'baby-deer-walking-for-the-first-time' drunk walk as she stumbled on her own feet in the high heels she cursed herself for putting on that night. Following him to the exit, she was relieved when the loud thumping music slowly became just a distant, muffled sound behind the massive door of the club.

"So, you seem like you love partying," he spoke out as he opened the passenger door for Shan to sit in the car.

"Yeah, don't you?" she was kind of thankful he didn't seem to want to hit on her shamelessly and instead was polite enough to make small talk.

"Not really," he replied after taking his seat behind the wheel, leaning over to help Shan buckle her seatbelt. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up as his breath sent a warm breeze to her face, his minty scent infiltrating her nostrils. "I'm more of a stay at home kind of guy. I prefer the comfort and silence of my own home instead of the roaring music of the club," he explained, putting the car into gear and starting to drive smoothly.

"Nice," Shan admitted absent-mindedly, her mind dwelling on his words. Actually she'd be more than happy to spend her Friday nights at home, if only she had someone to snuggle comfortably in, to melt into someone's warm and strong embrace. The main reason she went out to party so often was that she felt lonely in the coldness of her own home, but she wouldn't admit that even to herself, let alone to a complete stranger. "So why were you here tonight then?" she asked, unsure if she wasn't prying too much but she really wanted to keep the conversation going.

"I was at a birthday party," he answered simply before stopping at a red light, the engine of the car idly rumbling as the vehicle came to a halt. He turned to her direction to face her, the street lights illuminating his handsome face. "The question is why were you there tonight?" he smirked, his hand resting on the gear as he drew circles around it with his finger.

"Pardon?" Shan knit her eyebrows in a slight frown, a little bit confused.

"You don't really seem like you belong that kind of place," he explained, glancing up at the traffic light.

"Oh," she muttered, gazing straight ahead at the light shifting to green as he started driving again. "Well, I had promised my friends we'd have a girls' night out," she couldn't really admit to a stranger that the reason she was out every Friday night was that she didn't want to stay home alone, sulking.

"It didn't really seem like a girls' night out," he snickered. "Why weren't you doing what they were doing, hooking up with random boys?"

"Because I don't want to do that," Shan scoffed, slightly taken aback by his direct questions.

"But why?"

"Because that's not what I'm looking for."

"So you're not like any other girl?"

Shan remained silent, widening her eyes at him.

She didn't really have any idea why he was actually interrogating her like that, but she decided she wasn't going to give an answer to that. On the inside, she knew she didn't want to leave him under the impression that she was a basic girl whose only priority was to go out and get drunk. At the same time, she wondered why did she suddenly care about a stranger's opinion of her. "Take a right turn here," she instructed him, pointing to the direction of her house. She wondered why she suddenly felt comfortable enough showing him where she lived, but despite his shameless prying she had the feeling he meant her no harm.

It suddenly became very quiet after he pulled over in front of Shan's place and turned the car off, shifting in his seat to look her in the face, his small smirk still resting on his lips and reaching his deep doe eyes, creasing their corners.

"Thank you for the ride," Shan offered him a warm smile as she reached to unbuckle her belt, their fingers brushing against each other as he leaned in to do the same. "Sorry," she said, becoming more flustered by the second as she felt a warm sensation spill over her cheeks. Why was she being so shy? This was so unlike her.

"You're welcome," a glint of playful mischief flashed through his velvet black orbs as he clearly found the situation amusing. Not leaning back to rest his back against his seat, his face remained close to Shan's as her breath hitched in her throat. They stared at each other for a couple more seconds, no one peeping as much as a word as her thoughts ran in frantic circles. Why was he looking at her so intently? Was he going to kiss her?

She released the breath she hadn't realized she was holding in as he drew back, restoring the distance between them. Even so, his eyes didn't leave hers as she felt them drilling holes into her soul. It was like she was looking into an endless stretch of the midnight sky, small stars flickering in them.

"I'll get going then," Shan said breathlessly, fixing her hair that she realized by that time of the night probably looked like a mess.

"Okay. Good night," he nodded, his lips still stretched in a smug smile. "I hope you find what you're looking for," his voice was surprisingly husky now, washing over her like warm velvet. Shan rested her palm on her car door, faltering.

Wasn't he going to ask her for her number? Or her name, at least?

"Good night," she replied finally, realizing he didn't have any intention of doing any of that. Feeling salty all of a sudden, she quickly hopped out of the car and slammed the door shut behind herself, a little bit more roughly than she wanted to. The car didn't move as she continued walking to her door, wondering why the hell didn't he at least introduce himself.

So impolite.

A bitter feeling overwhelmed her as she assumed he probably was already seeing someone else and that's why he didn't take any action towards her. As always, it seemed like the good and decent guys were taken or just weren't that much into her.

Closing the door shut after entering her home, Shan finally heard the roar of the car engine outside as he drove away. She didn't let herself dwell on the thought of how nice it was of him to wait and make sure she had gone inside her house.

Sighing heavily, she threw her head back, resting it on the door. Looks like it wasn't meant to be.

***

The next day, Shan was just about to head out and go get a coffee from the coffee shop across the street when she felt a light buzzing in her pocket.

JohnCook: good morning

JohnCook: slept well?

This guy. It seemed like he was particularly taken with the idea of talking to her. She hadn't replied to any of his other texts since that morning when he annoyed her with his geeky comment. Feeling generous all of a sudden, she decided she was in a good enough mood to reply.

Shan: not that it's any of your business, but yes

JohnCook: what are you up to?

Shan: just grabbing a cup of coffee

JohnCook: mind if I join you?

Shan: not really looking for company

Shan: plus I don't really know what you look like

JohnCook: are looks that important to you?

Shan: no but it would be nice to know who you're talking to, wouldn't it?

JohnCook: maybe

JohnCook: but the thrill of a mystery is so much more exciting imo

Shan: I can see that

Shan: what are you even doing on this site without a pfp?

JohnCook: I'd rather not answer that

Shan: lol okay mystery guy

Shan: well I'd rather stop talking to you then

JohnCook: I don't have a pfp because I don't care about outer appearances

Shan: well was that so hard?

Shan: also I don't believe you

JohnCook: why?

Shan: because there isn't a man on this world who wouldn't care about outer appearances

JohnCook: looks like I'm one of a kind then

Shan: woooooow

Shan: you sure are confident, mystery guy

JohnCook: so what are you doing on this site?

JohnCook: I already answered your question it's only fair that you answer mine

Shan: nothing much just having fun

JohnCook: is fun what you're looking for?

Shan: not necessarily

JohnCook: so what then?

Shan: you sure ask a lot of questions mystery guy

JohnCook: just wanted to know more about you

Huffing, Shan slid her phone back in her pocket. This John Cook guy and his questions. None of the other guys she talked to asked her so many questions, if any at all. She was used to listening them talk with hours about themselves. But this guy, he seemed genuinely interested in her and the thought of that hit her harder than she thought it could.

Stop it, Shan. You're imagining things. You don't even know what his face looks like. Most probably he's a middle-aged creep lurking around younger girls. Yes, that's probably what he is.

The buzzing of her phone in her pocket snapped her out of her thoughts. Glancing down at the screen, she felt goosebumps run across her skin.

JohnCook: well I hope you find what you're looking for

Scoffing, Shan shook her head. There was no point in letting random weirdos occupy her thoughts. She looked up at the clear sky, the sunrays warmly caressing the skin of her face. Such a beautiful day, maybe she would go for a run.

***

"Shan, princess," Yoongi stretched out both his arms to greet Shan with a warm hug, his disheveled ebony locks falling over his black aviator sunglasses. "I'm so glad you came."

"Thank you for the invite," Shan mumbled, accepting his eager hug and flushing when she felt one of his hands resting a little bit south of her waist. She pulled away, removing a couple of disobedient hot pink strands that the ocean breeze had sent all over her face. "So, nice yacht."

"She's a beauty, isn't she," Yoongi purred, a satisfied grin plastered on his lips as he gestured at the luxurious watercraft.

It was the weekend and he had invited her to a party at his yacht. Having nothing better to do, Shan had accepted his offer reluctantly. A party wasn't exactly her idea of a perfect first date, but over the course of two weeks she and Yoongi had texted almost every day and she had decided it was time to meet him in person.

Shan offered him a sheepish smile. She had no idea that it was a she, nor did she know boats had genders. "Yes, she is," she agreed, not wanting to offend Yoongi since he seemingly took pride in his beloved yacht. She looked around, feeling uncomfortable at seeing all those unfamiliar faces.

"What would you like to drink?" Yoongi questioned, waving down one of the waitresses. "I have everything, you name it."

"A glass of wine, thank you," Shan smiled politely.

"Just wine?" Yoongi looked disappointed. "What about something stronger?" his eyes glimmered with a devilish spark.

"Maybe later," Shan replied, having no intention of drinking anything stronger than a glass of wine. No matter how nice Yoongi seemed, she didn't want to find herself in an unfortunate situation just because she couldn't handle her liquor.

The waitress nodded and scurried off to the bar. Shan took a moment to admire the enormous yacht. It probably costed a fortune. This Yoongi guy obviously had a lot of money and apparently, so did his friends. Most of the people there were dressed in top brands from head to toe and Shan was grateful she had chosen to wear her best outfit that day.

"What do we have here," Shan heard an unfamiliar deep voice come from behind her back. "Yoongi, are you keeping all the beautiful girls to yourself?" the newcomer smirked, his rich earthy eyes gleaming against the sunlight as the wind ruffled his dusty blond locks.

Almost instantly, Shan felt Yoongi's hand snake its way up her waist, causing a slight wince to go through her face. She narrowed her eyes at the blond man, thinking how his face seemed oddly familiar.

"She's really pretty, isn't she?" Yoongi said, his voice almost the same as when he was talking about his yacht a couple minutes ago.

"Not really loving the hair color," the other man sucked in on his teeth and then pressed his lips into a thin line.

"Well, that could be changed," Yoongi sounded almost apologetic.

Wide-eyed, Shan's orbs darted to and fro the two men in astonishment. Listening to them discuss her like she was just an object and not a human being, she felt so outraged that she was at a loss of words. "Excuse me, but I'm right here," she reminded bitterly, her anger starting to boil up at the surface, threatening to blow up any minute.

"Shan, this is Taehyung. Taehyung, Shan," Yoongi introduced his friend whose hand Shan shook begrudgingly. Something rankled her brain as she couldn't help but be overcome of the feeling that she had definitely seen him somewhere.

"Nice to meet you, Shan," Taehyung's dark chocolate voice washed over her as he held onto her hand a little bit too long. Shooting him a glare, she was still sour about his stupid remark about her hair. Suddenly the realization struck her like a lightning – this was one of the guys that had texted her at that dating site! DomDaddy something?

"Me too," she grinned, now slightly amused. This was too funny. Just as she was trying to think of something witty to say and let him know she recognized him, the waitress came with her drink.

After a couple more minutes of small talk, Yoongi had excused himself and said he had to greet some of his other guests. Not wanting to be alone with DomDaddyV or Taehyung as he had introduced himself, Shan had scurried off as well, saying she had to make a phone call when in reality she just wanted to sit somewhere and enjoy her drink in silence.

Leaning on the iron railing, Shan drank in the sight of the waves. The ocean was calm and it brought her a feeling of tranquility as she gazed into the horizon.

Unwittingly, her mind drifted off to that night when she had met that mysterious stranger in the club. Recently, he popped up in her mind rather often. Shan couldn't get him out of her head no matter how much she wanted to. She wouldn't admit that to anyone else, but she'd give anything to see his midnight eyes again. Was fate so cruel to not let them meet again?

Letting out a deep sigh, Shan let her eyelids fall over her emerald orbs as she inhaled the salty scent of the ocean. She finished her drink and then got another one while Yoongi still hadn't come to talk to her yet. She did her best to avoid Taehyung, not failing to notice the lustful glances he threw her when they locked eyes once or twice.

Feeling both bored and a little bit offended at how uninterested Yoongi seemed in her, she did what every normal person in this century does when they don't know what else to do – she took out her phone and started scrolling. Feeling bold all of a sudden, she clicked on a certain conversation.

Shan: I'm bored

The reply was so immediate that she nearly dropped her wine.

JohnCook: want me to entertain you?

Shan: yes

JohnCook: what are you doing now

Shan: I'm at a party

JohnCook: seems like it's a really shitty party if you have nothing better to do than text me

Shan: it is

JohnCook: why don't you leave

Shan: I can't, it's on a boat

JohnCook: that's funny

Shan: what is?

JohnCook: I'm actually on a boat now too

Shan's heart stopped. What if... No. What are the chances? She raised her gaze, her eyes roaming the gigantic watercraft. She suddenly wanted to slap herself. Even if he was here, there was no way she'd recognize him. She quickly got back to typing, her pulse rate rocketing higher with each passing second.

Shan: what a coincidence

JohnCook: yes, but I can't really say I'm at a party

Shan: why

JohnCook: doesn't matter

JohnCook: so why are you suddenly taking interest in me, you were doing such a great job at ignoring my messages

Shan: I'd like to know what you look like

JohnCook: that's not going to happen

Shan: but why? you know how I look like, why can't I know what you look like? it's not fair

JohnCook: you're suddenly very eager to see me

JohnCook: are you perhaps in love with me?

Shan: OMG

Shan: are you crazy?

Shan: how can I be in love with you when I don't even know what you look like?

JohnCook: idk

JohnCook: love works in mysterious ways

Shan: again with the mysteries

JohnCook: can't help it

Shan: why can't I know what you look like?

JohnCook: because I'm shy

JohnCook: and you're probably not going to like me

Shan: omg. you sound like a high school girl. let me be the judge of that

Shan: what if I told you today was my birthday? you can't say no to a birthday girl

JohnCook: I know for a fact that it's not your birthday

Shan: dammit

Shan: how did you know? are you a stalker?

JohnCook: it's on your profile honey

Shan: oh

JohnCook: if I send you a pic do you promise you'll stop asking?

Shan: Y E S

JohnCook:

Using her fingers to zoom in to the maximum, Shan inspected every pixel of the photo. To say that she was surprised would be an understatement. She was completely and utterly shocked. Looking at the man in the picture, it seemed like he was quite the opposite of what she had imagined him to be. Her heart picked up its pace.

Shan: well that's just unfair

JohnCook: why?

Shan: because you tricked me

Shan: I can't see your face

JohnCook: I never said you'd see my face

JohnCook: I only said I was going to send you a photo of myself

Shan: I'm disappointed

JohnCook: I knew you wouldn't like me

Shan: no, not in you

Shan: just in the fact that there's not more of... you in that photo

JohnCook: oh now you're making me blush

JohnCook: didn't know you could be so nice

Shan: I can be nicer than that

Shan: but you have to earn it

JohnCook: like how

Shan: send me a picture of your face

JohnCook: lol nice try

Shan: it was worth the shot

JohnCook: it was nice talking to you but I gotta run now

JohnCook: bye

Shan: okay, bye

***

Nothing of importance happened for the rest of the party except Yoongi coming over for a minute or two for a casual chat. Shan was really disappointed at how little attention he had paid her, making her feel insignificant and out of place. If he didn't want her there, why did he invite her?

The next day after she woke up, she saw she had one new message on her phone. Holding her breath, she unlocked the device with trembling fingers, feeling inexplicably excited.

JohnCook: hey

It was such a short message and it managed to make Shan's heart hammer against her chest vigorously. Since the previous day, she had spent a lot of time thinking about this John Cook guy. Suddenly she wanted to know more about him, feeling pulled by some invisible force of attraction.

Shan: hey

JohnCook: did you enjoy the rest of the party yesterday?

Shan: not really

JohnCook: why?

Shan: well the guy who had invited me there didn't bother to even come and have a conversation with me

JohnCook: what an asshole

JohnCook: if I were him I'd never not have a conversation with you

Shan: woah smooth, mystery guy

JohnCook: it's the truth

Shan: you're very straightforward

JohnCook: I don't like beating around the bush

Shan: I wish all the guys were like you

JohnCook: no one can be like me

JohnCook: just like no one can be like you, we're all different and unique

Shan: thank you for those words of wisdom

Shan: you sound like a fortune cookie

JohnCook: you're mocking me

JohnCook: you sure like being sarcastic

Shan: me? nah. I would never.

JohnCook: here you go again

Shan nibbled on her lip hesitantly. She had always used sarcasm to cover up her nervousness. How did this guy see right through her? They hadn't even met.

Shan: so tell me something about yourself

JohnCook: I like banana milk

Shan: omg

Shan: I meant like something important

JohnCook: you're suddenly very interested in me

JohnCook: why is that?

Shan: idk maybe... you're the first guy who's intrigued me in a while

JohnCook: oh wow is it honesty hour

JohnCook: ice princess admitted she's intrigued by me?!

Shan: ice princess? Is that the nickname you've given me?

JohnCook: well up until now you've been nothing but an ice princess to me

JohnCook: even though you're starting to warm up a little bit

Shan: don't get too full of yourself, that could easily change

JohnCook: I'll watch my mouth then

They texted throughout the whole day and almost the whole evening. Shan found herself grinning widely at his witty responses and at how genuine and funny he seemed. There wasn't an ounce of the arrogance in him that she saw in all the other guys she knew before. By the end of the day, her facial muscles hurt from smiling so much. She was honestly surprised to discover how much they had in common – from favorite color and favorite music to favorite movies and games.

Shan wondered how could a man whose face she hadn't even seen evoke such deep sensations in her just with his words. That night, she fell asleep peacefully for the first time in a while an odd feeling she couldn't yet identify warmed up her fluttering heart.

***

"Yes, of course, I get that. Yes. Listen to me, I don't tolerate excuses," Yoongi's voice was stern but hushed as his hand clutched on the phone next to his ear. "We have to sign this guy, no matter what it would cost us. Am I clear? Okay, now call me when you have results," he put the phone back on the table in front of him, frustration evident on his face.

Shan wiggled in her seat, fidgeting with the edge of her dress. She didn't feel comfortable at all in this flashy, luxurious restaurant Yoongi had brought her to. The fact that he seemingly couldn't get off his phone only contributed to her uneasiness.

"Sorry, sweetie, but running a music company isn't exactly easy when you have morons like this one working for you," Yoongi grumbled, typing something on his phone. "Oh, but what would you know about that? Your pretty face doesn't need to worry about such complicated things," he looked up to flash her a condescending smile.

"I own a coffee shop," Shan muttered through gritted teeth, her hands inadvertently clutching on the edge of her chair. Her business may be small, but it still wasn't easy to run it on her own and she took pride in what she did for a living.

"But that's not exactly the same, is it?" Yoongi's voice was almost above a whisper as he scrunched his nose and the outer corners of his lips tugged upwards in a sarcastic smirk.

A fire of annoyance started smoldering in Shan's emerald green orbs. She huffed, sinking in her seat. This had been the fourth or fifth date she had with Yoongi and she was finally starting to realize he wasn't just annoying; he was a complete asshole. All he talked about was his money and his music company. Shan wasn't even sure if he had ever asked her a single question. She had been eager to give him the last chance to prove her wrong, but after tonight she could hardly stand his presence.

"Good evening, Mr. Min. What would you and your lady like to drink?" a waitress came over, beaming at Yoongi but not even sparing a glance for Shan.

"For me whiskey, neat," Yoongi didn't even bother to look at her, eyes still fixated on his phone. "You?" he mumbled, briefly glancing at Shan.

"A glass of chardonnay, thank you," she forced a polite smile on her face.

"Again with the wine?" visibly annoyed, Yoongi scoffed, causing Shan's eyes to round in disbelief. "Order something normal, will you? What, are you on a diet or something?"

This had been the last drop for Shan as something seemingly snapped inside of her. Yoongi's offensive demeanor wasn't something she'd put up with anymore just for the sake of not spending the evening home alone.

She deserved better. Much better.

Triggered, she stood up abruptly with a shattering screech of her chair against the polished floor. All the heads turned into her direction.

"What are you doing?" Yoongi hissed, finally paying attention to something other than his phone.

"I'm going home," Shan announced, balling her shaking hands into fists involuntarily, a hard edge to her voice.

"No, you're not," Yoongi just rolled his eyes. "Sit down."

This only infuriated her more. Her anger brew like a storm out at sea, clouding her mind. "Oh, yes, I am. You've been nothing but a complete ass to me and I'm fucking done with it," she seethed.

Yoongi's black orbs widened so much that she thought they'd jump out of their sockets. Probably aware that all eyes were on them now, he reached to grab Shan's wrist. "Come on, sweetie, don't be like this," his voice was soft, but the tightness of his grip told Shan he wasn't being honest at all. "This is a very expensive restaurant, let's just enjoy the rest of our date," it was so obvious for her that he was afraid of what people would think of the scene that was being acted out in the middle of the restaurant.

She yanked her arm off abruptly, scoffing. "Don't touch me," she growled and grabbed her purse, taking out a couple of dollar bills and slamming them against the table. "This is for the wine. And by the way, you should know that you're a terrible kisser," she grinned, stomping past him and catching a glimpse of his startled and dumbfounded face before rushing through the doors of the restaurant, hearing a couple of impressed whistles behind her back as she did so.

The coolness of the crisp night air hit her in the face as she exhaled with relief. Getting out of that place and away from Yoongi's toxic presence had been something she needed to do a long time ago.

A spontaneous impulse started flickering in the back of her head and she hesitated whether to act on it. She took her phone out and started typing.

Shan: what are you up to?

The reply she was anticipating came faster than the speed of light.

JohnCook: nothing much, just chilling at home. you?

Shan: wanna meet up?

The suspense was nearly suffocating as Shan stared into the screen, her anxiousness peaking with each passing second. She instantly regretted her decision. It was stupid and what was more important, it was pathetic. Certainly, he'd think that she was desperate and would stop texting her. At least that's what all of the-

JohnCook: alright

JohnCook: where are you?

A warm hopefulness blossomed in Shan's heart as she let out the breath she didn't even realize she was holding in. She looked around.

Shan: I'm in front of this bar called "Ace". do you know where it is?

JohnCook: I'm on my way

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 100 14
collection of one-shots/drabbles to make your heart flutter. warnings not mentioned. contains mature content. ►𝙗𝙩𝙨 𝙭 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙚𝙧 (𝙞𝙣𝙘𝙡𝙪𝙙�...
3.1K 300 20
𝐬𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐥 𝐨𝐟 [𝐬𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞]. 𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, 𝐣𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐨𝐤 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐣𝐢 𝐚𝐡𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠...
1.1K 150 16
A collection of different types of one shot stories. Updating only when I can (Sorry). Mature Content and NSFW AU and Canon FanFicition Stories will...
948 43 3
Here I will cover BTS one shots. You can always request me your ideas in comment section. I'll make sure to work on them.