Never the Same

By Natasha_Smith

After everything that has happened between Luca and Kaylee over the years, finally getting engaged was one of... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39 - Epilogue

Chapter 9

907 36 2
By Natasha_Smith

I can't stop yawning as I walk down the stairs of Luca's London home the next morning. After a long flight that landed here in London late on last night, I was only fit for my bed by the time we made it to here. Even though it's eight thirty in the morning and I slept for a total of five hours when I finally got settled, it feels like I've only slept for an hour at most.

It's weird being here without Luca. Every time I've been here, I've had him to talk to or to go to if I needed help finding something or help on how to work certain things. Now I'm here alone – or as alone as can be with cleaners and some of Luca's staff walking around.

Stretching my arms above my head and walking down the remainder of the steps to the ground floor, I'm greeted at the bottom by a blonde haired woman. I recognise her face from the first time I ever came here. She was the woman who came out of Luca's office and took Allison to a different room while I spoke to Luca in his office. I've never gotten her name and I know that's about to change with the way she's looking at me.

"Your morning coffee, Miss. Fletcher." She holds out a white and blue travel cup for me while smiling brightly. "My name is Lyla, Mr. Maddens caretaker as well as his UK assistant."

I take the offered travel cup. "I thought Trent was his only assistant."

"Trent is his main assistant," she verifies. "I help tend to things here and make sure everything is in working order for him at this side of the world. If things are urgent here, I contact him and he's here within a day to sort them."

"I . . . see."

"I know it may seem strange but Mr. Madden is a very busy man. He can't be everywhere at once. Trent deals with the majority of his workload and for your time here, I will be assisting you in whatever you need. All you have to do is ask."

"Fair enough." I nod and take a sip of coffee. "Did you make this?"

"Mr. Madden gave me a list of the things you like and dislike. One of which is how you take your coffee. Is it okay?"

"It's just how I like it, thank you." I smile.

Lyla walks away from me only to return with a set of car keys in one hand. She holds them out for me to take. "Mr. Madden has also insisted that you use his car for your time here."

I take the car keys and narrow my eyes at the Audi logo I see.

"But isn't that why Jones is here?" I ask.

"He'll be following you closely and will keep his distance unless the situation calls for him to intervene," she answers. She beckons me to follow her to the front door and I do so while drinking my morning coffee. "Your sister called this morning to make sure you knew that your parents were expecting you at their house for ten o'clock."

She hands me my dark blue quilted coat to put on along with my black ankle boots. I give her my travel cup and the car keys to hold then get ready to leave.

"I will give you a warning beforehand to be careful with this car," Lyla notifies, handing me the car keys and travel cup back. "Mr. Madden loves this car."

"He loves all his cars," I remark.

She raises a single brow at my comment but doesn't respond to it.

We walk outside and down the steps to the car that's sitting parked up in front of Jones' car. I stop walking and point to it.

"The Q5? Luca is trusting me with his Q5?" I gasp.

I can't say I'm surprised that he wants me to drive his Q5 because it is more appropriate for me to drive than any of the other cars he has. Granted, I don't know what other cars he does have here but this would unquestionably be my first choice to drive if I was given the chance.

"Unless you want the R8," she mentions. She points to the garage where the R8 is sitting and I catch a glimpse of it before the garage door closes over. "However, Mr. Madden thought this would be less flashy than that one and more convenient."

"No, it's fine. This is fine." I rush to assure. I unlock the car and get in the driver's seat. "Thank you."

"I hope you know how to drive an automatic," Lyla says with a small smile.

"Push the brake pedal down when starting it up. R for Reverse. D for Drive. P for Park." I nod with puckered lips. "I think so."

"And N for Neutral," she adds. "Have you ever driven an automatic?"

I shake my head and get everything sorted in the car to my needs. "It can't be that hard. All that's really missing is the clutch and a manual gearstick. I got my license by driving a manual and they always tell you that it's easier to go from a manual to an automatic. But I've barely driven since I moved to London and there's been no need for me to drive there when there's public transport."

"I see." She shares a glance with Jones who is sitting in his car behind me. "Well, Jones will be driving behind you to your parents. If you struggle with anything, call him and he'll talk you through it." She closes the door and taps the roof. "Have fun."

I pull into my parent's driveway slowly, making sure to not hit my dad's car or drive on the grass. Both of which would have my dad going off on one at me which wouldn't be good for his health.

"And into park like it was when I got in it," I mutter while turning the engine off.

I get out the car, lock it, and walk into my parent's house.

"Hello," I call out.

"Kitchen," my mum calls back.

I walk to the kitchen and smile when I see my family. Chloe is the first to respond to me, getting up from the dining table to hug me.

"Sorry I made that incident up but it was all I could think of to make it seem believable," she apologises.

"It's fine," I brush off.

I give Declan a brief hug as he passes and receive a kiss on the cheek from my mum as she walks past with dirty dishes. I walk to the end of the table to my dad who stands up to greet me.

"How's my baby girl doing?" My dad engulfs me in a tight hug before retreating back to his seat. He grimaces a little, trying hard to make it go unseen but I saw it. We all saw it. "It's okay. I'm fine. Just a little sore today."

"I did tell you not to overdo it with the exercises yesterday," my mum says. She picks up his empty cup and walks away. "You're still classed as being in recovery mode."

"Am I not allowed to give my daughter a hug? I haven't seen her since she went to New York and now she's back and engaged." He breathes deeply and blinks rapidly. "I'm happy for her."

"Aww, dad's crying." Chloe points out.

"I'm not." Dad fires back. He wipes his eyes and sniffs. "Fletcher men don't cry over their kids getting engaged."

"You're the first man in your family to have girls so you're entitled to," my mum retorts.

"Even at that, Fletcher men don't cry."

I roll my eyes and sit down on the nearest chair.

"How long are you back for?" Chloe asks around a mouthful of a half-chewed pancake.

"Really, Chloe? Stop talking with your mouth full like that," I tell her with a disgusted look on my face. "I'll be here for about a week or so. The court case between Luca and Nadia started yesterday and I've to give evidence at some point."

"Why? You didn't do anything to make their relationship break down," my mum points out.

"I know that," I agree. "You know that. Everyone knows that."

"But?" My dad adds, knowing all too well that there's a but coming.

"But the way Nadia has spun it, it looks like I'm the one that caused their relationship to break down."

Declan sits down next to me and frowns. "How does that one work out?"

"The phone Luca had when we were together . . . he kept it because it still contains all the voicemails I left him over the course of our break up. It was stolen from his apartment and it'll be used as evidence against Luca."

"What a deceiving, spiteful, blackmailing bitch." Chloe comments.

I wait for my mum to tell Chloe off for her choice of words but it doesn't come. It's not like my mum to not tell us off for our choice of language because she hates it when any of us swear. Even if it's by accident – like everyone does – she's quick to tell us off.

It's an extremely rare thing to hear my mum swear unless it's called for. So when it does happen, everyone is taken aback at hearing the words come from her mouth because it's not something we're used to hearing from her. I've only ever seen her go off on one when it comes to people talking shit about her family. She gets defensive, like we all do when it comes to our families, and let's rip with her war of words.

It's safe to say that she isn't fully aware of the choice words each of us use in our day-to-day lives. If she did, we would all of had it by now.

"Okay, then. Onto a different note before your mum decides to say something about that comment," my dad says loudly, changing the subject. "Have you seen Allison's new flat yet?"

I take a small handful of grapes from the fruit bowl in the middle of the table and eat a couple. "I only got here late last night. I haven't had time to text her yet but I will. I'll phone here later and get the address then pop round for a catch-up."

"From what I've heard from her mum, the place is beautiful. So very Allison." My mum informs.

"If it's anything like how she decorated the spare bedroom of my flat, I have no doubt that it will have a different theme in each room."

"Something along those lines," my mum agrees. She walks out of the kitchen and comes back in with a small white envelope and hands it to me. "Her mum said to give you this from her."

I take the envelope and open it, pulling out the single key that's attached to a keyring with a friendship slogan on it. "Of course she'd give me a spare key."

"Only fair considering she had one for your flat," Chloe nods. "What does it say?"

I move the keyring to a distance for me to read the slogan without needing to put my glasses on. "Distance means so little when our friendship means so much."

"That is more than true for your friendship," my dad smiles.

"It is." I flash him a quick smile and slip the key into my jacket pocket where my phone is. I look at my family and clasp my hands together on the table. "So, what's everyone doing today?"

"My classes don't start till one," Chloe answers.

"I have the day off," Declan grins.

I look at my mum and dad who are looking at each other like there's something going on that I don't know about. My mum raises her brows and tilts her head in my direction, to which my dad clears his throat and slowly gets to his feet.

"Kaylee, can you take me out for a little bit? I've not done my exercises for the day I don't want your mum to start nagging me."

I glance at my dad and nod.

"Alright," I draw out. I get to my feet. "Is there anywhere in particular or-"

"Not that I can think the now." He pulls his coat off the back of his chair and puts it on. "I'll have a think and say to you when we're in the car."

I nod and lead the way out of the house to Luca's car. Seeing the Audi's mirrors unfold and the daylights come on has my dad pouting while nodding with approval.

"Very nice," he comments while getting in the passenger side. I settle into the driver's seat and start the engine. "Very nice indeed."

I grin and reverse out of the driveway. "So where am I going?"

"I think the park I used to take you to when you were a little girl will do perfectly," he answers.

I frown. "Farnham Park?"

"That's the one."

"Well, I hope you have an umbrella if it starts to rain because that dark cloud overhead may just be a sign that says you shouldn't try to do that walk."

"I'm sure Luca will have one in this car. Just drive."

I say nothing and drive.

We pull up at the park and I park the car in the nearest space to the path so my dad doesn't have to walk far if we need to come back quickly. We get out the car and I zip up my coat up while walking slowly next to my dad.

"I can remember coming here every weekend with you and your mum. I'd be walking by her side as she pushed the pram around for the first half of our walk and then I'd push it for the remainder. Even when we had Chloe and Declan, we still came here. You were a little rascal at times, especially when Chloe could walk and run about. God, the two of you were a nightmare."

"We still are at times."

He laughs. "Sometimes. Not too often, though."

We walk a bit further in silence. It's only until my dad sighs and slows his walking pace that I look at him.

"Something wrong?" I query.

"Nope." He shakes his head. "I'm just thinking."

"You never 'just think' quietly."

"All I've ever wanted was for my kids to be happy." He smiles after sighing heavily. "Chloe is happy with her studies at university and even more so now that she's passed her driving test. Declan is surprisingly even happier now he knows how to control his anger and now he's going to university. And you're particularly happy now Luca is back in your life."

I scoff. "I wouldn't get too carried away with that one just yet."

"This whole thing with his ex will blow over. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for, Kaylee. Just look at how well you handled meeting Luca's daughter. She wasn't nasty to you like most kids would be at the thought of someone taking their only parent's attention away from them."

"She wouldn't have done that. She's not that kind of little girl."

"And you're not a nasty person or the type of person people can hate straight off the bat."

"I don't think Nadia would agree with that one."

"Oh, she only hates you because you've got what she wants."

"But she's happily married from what I can tell. What's she going to get by trying to destroy what Luca and I have?"

"You're his ex. She sees you as a threat and the person who has always made him happy even when she couldn't when she was with him. You're the only person he's ever truly loved and that's what's making her angry. You're the one thing that has kept him going all these years and now he's got you, he sure as hell isn't going to let you slip away."

I look at the ground and kick a couple of stones before frowning. "It's never going be the same, is it? After the trial, I mean."

"Nothing in life ever is after something like that happens. Life for you and Luca will be different once you get married because sooner or later your own kids will hopefully come along. Then the two of you will have the talk of maybe you adopting Louisa as your own. Then-"

"Okay, I get it." I cut off.

My dad laughs and I smile.

He's not as forward with his hint at wanting to be a grandpa but I can tell it's what he's getting at. He wants to enjoy life while he can and that's the next step in his life that he wants to enjoy. He wants to see his kids happily married and to hopefully gift him with the upgrade from dad to grandad.

"But who am I to try and predict things?" He laughs before it's cut short with a sharp intake of breath.

He holds a hand out and I move to him quickly, taking his hand in mine with holding onto him around his waist with my other hand.

"Dad." I help him to take a seat on the nearest bench, taking clear note of the grimacing look he's trying his hardest to hide again. "Take a second then we're going back."

"No, I'm fine." He assures with a small smile. He takes a few more deep breathes and gives my hand a squeeze. "I just keep forgetting I'm not a young thing anymore."

"We could have stayed at home or gone somewhere else. I don't think mum will be too pleased to hear we came for a walk in this park."

"It'll be fine. Leave your mum to me. She's always saying I need to get out more and even when I do get out, she's moaning because I've gone too far. I can't win."

I rub his back and kneel down in front of him when I see he's gotten his breathing under control. "She's just worried and so am I. You're not doing that well, are you? Be honest with me."

"I'm fine. Trust me. I just keep forgetting that I had major surgery not that long ago. You know me and what I'm like with injuries."

"But this isn't just some injury," I remind.

"Kaylee, darling, I'm alright." He lets go of my hand and pats it with a small smile appearing across his lips. "Now, onto the most important and real matter as to why I asked you to take me out. Your wedding."

I get to my feet.

"Is that what this was about?" I take a step back and glare at him. "You're not meant to be out doing this, are you? Like mum said, you're still healing."

"Kaylee," he starts.

I shake my head. "We're not talking about this. I'm taking you home."

"No, we are and we will." He looks at the ground and raises his brows. "Your mum said she doesn't want me to dance with you over fears that it will tire me out. Even your gran said she doesn't want me to dance with you over the same fear but I'm not going to do that." He looks up at me. "I'm going to walk you down the aisle and I will dance with you on your wedding day."

My breath catches in my throat.

Walking down the aisle and the father-daughter dance with my dad on my wedding day was always something I dreamed of when I was a little girl. I think all girls dream of that. But then reality hit and the one man who was always constant in my life, the man who I thought was invincible, had a heart attack and I thought I would never get to do those things.

When my dad had the first heart attack, I had the thought that he won't make it through. I could vividly see a life where my dad wasn't there. He was gone and I didn't have the wedding I always dreamed of having. I didn't dream of having a big wedding or any type of wedding at all because it wouldn't have been the same without my dad being there.

Even when I knew he was going to be okay, I didn't allow myself to think of marriage because I was too focused on my life. On my work. On trying to make it through each day and be thankful that my family were fine.

Then there was his second heart attack. Something that came out of nowhere but also something I think I caused in the back of my mind. All the stress of having Luca come back into our lives and my dad having to deal with Declan's hatred of him. Having the stress of people at his workplace asking if I was dating the famous Luca Madden. Add on the stress of me not telling him I was seeing Luca once again – I know I was to blame for that one.

Deep in the back of my mind, I know I was to blame and I can't shake that feeling. I've never told anyone that, not even Luca, but I know I was to blame despite Declan saying out loud that he was to blame for it. It would be a never-ending argument between Declan and I if I said it to him. It would most likely prompt my mum to intervene and say otherwise but we know the truth. The truth is the facts and they don't lie.

"Dad," I whisper.

He smiles and gets to his feet. He holds my right hand in his left and places my left hand on his shoulder before his right hand sits on my back.

"We'll dance like this during the father-daughter dance," he explains, starting to sway like we're practising for the wedding that still doesn't have a date. "I heard the most perfect song for us to dance to during my rehabilitation sessions. I think it fits well for our circumstance."

"How does mum feel about that one?" I query with a raised brow.

"She doesn't get a say in matter unless Luca wishes to dance with her," he chuckles.

"I'll have to ask him about that one."

He takes a deep breath and smiles at me. "I know things will seem very up in the air right now with both my health and Luca's ex turning up but keep in mind that you'll have a beautiful wedding at the end of it all. I'll be there with you through it all and you'll be the one marrying Luca Madden. You'll be the one who will help to raise his daughter along with any children you are blessed to have together."

"I let you off the first time you mentioned that because you scared me but I won't now." I pull back without breaking our hold. "Please don't start asking for grandkids. Jane has already gone on about wanting more grandchildren and I don't think I can deal with you asking the same questions she has."

"Oh, darling." He pulls me back in and kisses my forehead. "I only want you to be happy. Anyway, when you get married, Louisa will technically become our grandchild even though it's not biologically."

"And I'll become her step mum," I add. "I already know this."

"After what she's had to deal with her whole life, I'm pretty sure you could drop the 'step' from step mum. You'll be more of a mum to her than her own mother ever was."

"I'll have to arrange a time for you and mum to meet her before the wedding."

"And we will be happy to meet her. Just tell us a time and a place."

"How do you think Chloe and Declan will react to becoming an auntie and uncle?"

"I think Chloe will take to it more than Declan will. At first." He takes a deep breath and smiles at me. "But I think Declan will take to it even more when he finds out he will be a proper uncle when you have your first baby."

"I think he'll be the protective uncle."

"He will. He'd make a great godfather if you decided to give him that honour. As would Chloe if you gave her the honour of godmother. But all that is in the future. We don't know what the future holds so just take it a day at a time."

I nod and lay my head on his chest. "A day at a time."

We stand swaying together for a few more minutes until spots of rain start to hit off the ground and our coats.

"I think that's our cue to go back to the car," my dad chuckles.

"I think it is."

We start walking back to the car; my arm linked with my dad's as the rain starts to get heavier.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.1K 2.4K 38
They say that what's meant to be, will be. That if something is meant to happen, there will be a way for it to happen. So what if Kaylee Fletcher d...
1.8K 62 18
Katherine Nichols, the one that everyone knew didn't want children, agreed to become the godmother of her friend's kid. She figured that she wouldn't...
1.8M 80K 51
"Stop pretending. Boyfriend, right? With whom you'll be hanging out once Eth and your Dad are gone." I stared at him in disbelief. "What more things...
23.6K 2.7K 54
Life was never fair and Elizabeth, understood this concept when her boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend. That was the worst day of Elizabet...