Contract Marriage

By brittneu

"I'll pay off your debt. In exchange, you have to marry me." More

Disclaimer

Chapter 1

249 6 6
By brittneu

I had bought an issue of night time job search magazine at the corner store.

Holding it in my hand, I was waking toward home.

"I have a debt of...$500,000..."

This all happened within the last few days. my father, who had his own business, solemnly broke the news to my mother and me.

"It might be impossible to sustain my business." he had told me.

It was not a very large business, but I thought he was doing reasonably well. After graduating from university, I had started work for a publicity agency as a secretary, and was never involved it.

I had no ideas that it was in trouble. Honestly, even after he told me he had gone under, I never really understood.

However, what I did know was that I had a huge liability of repaying the $500,000.

I was told that I had no legal responsibility to repay it, but I refuse to default on the debt. I was the only child so my parents debt became my debt. Even if I claimed no obligation to repay it, no bank or loan company would accept that.

After explaining the situation to Satake who I though of as my boyfriend, he stopped returning my calls, even though I never intended to ask him for money.

I thought about my parents and the unhappiness I heard in their voices every time I called...

I took the magazine I had just bought and flipped through a few pages while waking.

"I'll keep my current job, and work another part time job" I though out loud "even though it's prohibited, I have no other choice..." I began scanning the pages "A cabaret club? No, I'm 28, which is too old for that job...how about a hostess job? that requires a person who has a nice figure...can I do that?"

If I kept questioning myself like this, I would never be able to pay off the $500,000. Instead of thinking about it, I had to do something.

BANG

My train of thought was interrupted as something bumped into me hard and I fell flat on my butt.

The magazine flew out of my hands.

"Are you alright?"

When I raised my head to look at the source of this calm, caring voice, I saw a serious-looking man standing there wearing a expensive looking suit.

"Yes...I'm sorry..."

"You dropped something." He picked up the magazine and passed it to me.

I didn't want to be seen reading this kind of magazine.

"Why do you need a night job?" He asked

I looked at him, surprised by his noisiness "That's none of your business."

He just smiled at me "Oh, I think you'll find it is my business."

"What...?"

Surprised by his response, I asked him again. He gave me an odd looking smile, turned his back, and started walking away.

"You will understand soon."

"Wait..."

Unable to run after him I just stared at his back while holding on to the night time job search magazine.

⑅*♡⑅*♡⑅*♡⑅*♡⑅*♡⑅*♡

What happened yesterday? I don't know anybody handsome like him...but I have the feeling that I've definitely met him somewhere before.

The next day, while going about my job as usual, I couldn't stop thinking about what happened the day before. I thought that he might be in show business but I couldn't think of anybody like him.

He had handsome features which could pass for an actor...

"Humm, this is going to keep bothering me..." But I didn't really have time to escape reality thinking about that.

I had to think about what to do to pay off the $500,00.

"Do you have a moment?" My boss asked, interrupting my thoughts

"Ah, yes!"

"It seems that we finally got a good response form a major company we've been pursing, but they insist on having you there for the meeting."

"Huh!? Me?"

"Yes...do you know this company?"

I saw Platinum Corporation written on the document handed to me by my boss. As a secretary at the publicity agency, I hand, of course, seen the name of the company before.

"This is...quite a big company, isn't it? I think it's an IT communication company...don't they also have other companies in their group?"

"You're right" answered my boss "and we really want to seal the deal and get a contract with them. I don't know why they want you to come, but can I count on you?"

"Ah..." to be honest I'm scared to go. I had no idea why such a big company would request my presence, but it was the company's order and related to my work. I had to do what they asked of me. "Ok. I will, but even if I go I'm just a secretary and don't know what I should do there."

"You can start by taking these" he handed me some folders "they're detailed documents detailing the terms and conditions we offered and the actual contract it self."

"The contract!?" I stared down at the folders "such an important thing...

"Hey, you don't have much time to get to the appointment."

When I left my department, I felt as if everyone was rushing me out of there.

"If you get into any trouble, call us right away" my boss seemed more nervous that I did. If I made any mistakes, it would directly affect the contract.

But why do they want me to go? With a feeling of anticipation and more than a few doubts I headed to Platinum for the appointment.

Compared to the size if my company, Platinum was on a completely different scale. It was a major company with more than 3,000 employees and the entire top 4 floors of the building, from the 39th to the 42nd, were occupied by them.

I managed to get past the front desk somehow.

Standing there in a daze, the receptionist had smiled cheerfully and told me "Thank you for waiting. Someone will be here soon to escort you."

It seemed that a security guard would take me to the appointed place.

The guard came to the front desk and led me up to 42nd floor, the top floor.

...is it usual for a meeting room to be on the top floor? In the case of a major company occupying several floors, the top floor usually had the president's office and executive offices. Any meeting room on the upper floor would be for them.

Let me think about this calmly...this is...definitely strange. This major company had named me, a mere secretary, to come here from a little-known publicity agency and I was to facilitate the meeting. Everything was completely strange.

I told my boss that I would do my best, but I really want to go home...

"Here we are" the security guard stopped outside a door

I was still mulling things over when we arrived at the appointed room. The security guard knocked on the door. While we were waiting, I looked up and saw president written on the nameplate above the doorway.

P-President...?!

"Excuse me" the guard brought us into the room "I brought her."

"Thank you, you can leave now." Said a voice from a desk at the back of the room

The security guard motioned for me to enter the office. Without looking up, I took a step inside the doorway.

"Why are you so nervous?" Asked the mysterious voice

That voice was so frank and it seemed familiar. Trying to avoid looking down any longer, I cautiously lifted my head.

I saw a man sitting at a big desk, looking at me calmly, he was the same man who had picked up my night time job magazine yesterday.

"How long are you going to stand there? Come in!"

"Y-Yes!"

As soon as I had entered, the security guard bowed and closed the door.

The two of us were left alone in the room.

"I see you like to quietly stare at people when you enter rooms" he said

"Oh...um...thank you very much for yesterday."

"What are you taking about?"

"I bumped into you, and you picked up my magazine for me"

"Did you find a good job?" he looked at me wickedly and grinned in amusement and whispered my name "You're 28 years old. 3 people in your family, a father who owns his business, a mother who helps run it, and you. No siblings."

"What?"

He continued "After graduating from university, you started working at your current job at the publicity agency as a secretary. recently your father's business failed. You are $500,000 in debt."

"...how do you...?"

"I've got all your information up here" he tapped his head with his finger.

While he was doing that, he continued looking straight into my eyes. His sharp gaze pierced through me and I couldn't move at all.

"You were reading that magazine looking for a job to pay off your debt, am I correct?"

"H-How do you know...?"

"Are you planning on paying the whole $500,000 all by yourself?"

"That has nothing to do with you" I was going to say something, but realized our circumstances had changed since yesterday. If I put this man in a bad mood it might affect the contract between our companies. This is a heavy burden for me.

"I like that expression" he smiled

"What did you say?"

"Are you scared of me?"

"No, not really..."

"In your mind just now, you were contemplating what you should do." he continued "If you anger me, it will mollify the contract and cause trouble for your company. However you don't understand why I know you so much about you and you want to get out of here. Am I correct?"

"H-How...?" I hesitated. He knew exactly what I think there was no point in denying it.

"Anyway, have a seat, we can't talk calmly while we are standing."

I don't know why...but I find myself powerless to resist this man, is it his commanding tone of voice?

I sat down on the sofa as instructed, he smiled with satisfaction as he took the dear across from me.

"Don't be so timid." he ordered

"Y-Yes, ok..."

"You were like that yesterday too, you looked like you were trying to be strong, but you must have been nervous. You must be the type of person who follows orders instantly when they are given to you." his guesses about me were right on the mark, I guess he found that amusing.

Every time he said something, I felt cold swear dripping on my back.

"I'll ask you again. Are you going to pay the $500,000 all by yourself?"

"My father's business went under, so it's my responsibility." I answered

"Legally you don't need to pay it off, you know that right, right?"

"I know that."

"Nonetheless, are you still intent on paying it?"

"If I decide it's not my responsibility, and don't pay it back, that would be the same as my father failing to pay his loan."

"Hum...you are of unexpectedly high moral fabric." I felt his smile didn't express his true opinion. However, his words and smile pierce arrows right through me.

"I'm Soji Shirogane," he said whilst still keeping that smile on his face "and I represent Platinum. I will pay all of your loans in full.

"...What?"

"But in exchange" he continued "I have conditions."

I stood there stunned and unable to respond to such a strange proposition.

"From this moment onward, you will be my slave."

My eyes were fixed stupidly on the corners of his mouth.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 2.4K 3
"The Malhotra Brides" is a heart-warming tale that explores the emotional journey of two sisters, Aditi and Pragya, as they navigate their new lives...
327K 10.9K 35
My back was pressed against the wall, and our faces were merely inches away. He gently placed a finger below my chin and tilted my face upward. I tri...
1.6M 71.3K 76
မာဗာရစ် + ခွန်းညီလွန်းရန် ( 8.9.2023)
361K 42.3K 20
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...