How to Pickpocket a Pickpocket

By LisaMuller5

Skyrim Fanfiction Brynjolf x OC What was supposed to be innocent pickpocketing for Artis, turned out to be h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Note!!

Chapter 2

995 36 12
By LisaMuller5

Artis arrived in Riften after three days of traveling. She brought Bandit to a slow halt upon arriving at the two large, wooden gates. What would she find beyond those gates?

"State your business, woman." The Riften guard ordered sternly.

"I traveled here from Riverwood." Artis answered honestly, "I was sent here to retrieve a few ingredients for my mother."

The guard accepted her explanation and let her enter the city, just after he told her to leave her horse at the stables where she would be taken care of. She followed his instructions and left Bandit in the hands of Sigaar, a Nord who claimed to be a carriage driver. After that she returned and entered through the giant wooden gates. Artis' eyes widened at the strange layout of the city and the buildings. Everything was built on top of wooden structures with the water and canal right underneath her feet. She was almost too scared to step onto the plank decks in fear of falling through. She inhaled slowly and decided that leaving Bandit outside was a good thing, since the horse's weight might have caused the decks to break.

She took her time to stroll through the streets, or should she call it decks, of Riften. Who knew if she would ever return here again? Everything was so different from Whiterun and Falkreath. Everything was made out of wood, some stone here and there, but most of all wood. The people all seemed relaxed and chilled out, chatting in the streets or making their way towards wherever they needed to go with lazy paces. However, as she passed a few houses, a Nord the size of a bear stopped her.

"I don't know you." He said from where he was leaning against a wall, arms crossed stubbornly over his armored chest, "You in Riften lookin' for trouble?"

Artis let her wrist hang tensely next to her sword, just in case he might attack her, "I'm just passing through."

"Yeah, well, I got news for you; there's nothing to see here." He scoffed and eyed her sharply, "Last thing the Black Briars need is some stranger stickin' their noses where they don't belong. Now, why are you really here?"

Artis rolled her eyes and met his gaze with annoyance, "Well, if you really must know what a young woman such as me is doing here in Riften, I simple travelled all the shitting way from Riverwood just to buy my poor mother, who's sight is failing, a freaking nirnroot so she could create a new potion to make some freaking money. Now what's it to you, uh?"

The Nord blinked at her sharp yet honest answer but refused to let the scowl fall from his face, "Don't say something you'll regret. Last thing the Black Briars need is some loudmouth tryin' to meddle in their affairs!"

"I'm not scared of you."

"That's the wrong answer. Last thing the Black Briars need is some troublemaker tryin' to steal a piece of the action."

"Sounds to me that you should rather be worrying about the Black Briars instead over me then." Artis replied, loving the blank look he suddenly had on his face, "You talk too much for someone who seems all tough and brooding. Who are the Black Briars anyway?"

He stared at her for a few seconds before shaking his head and replying more calmly, "The Black Briars have Riften in their pocket and the Thieves Guild watchin' their back, so keep your nose out of their business. Me? I'm Maul. I watch the streets for 'em. If you need dirt on anythin', I'm your guy. But it'll cost you."

"Dirt, huh?" Artis wondered out loud, "I'm not exactly clean myself."

"Then we're speaking the same language. What do you want to know?"

"Nothing much now, but maybe our paths will cross in the future and you can tell me everything when I seek the knowledge." She flashed him a smile and found it funny how his cheeks turned red for a second, "You could help me find the store selling potions and ingredients though."

It wasn't hard locating Elgrim's Elixirs with Maul's help. They bid each other goodbye, promising to someday drink Nordic Mead together if she ever visited the Rift again. Artis went in and bought the ingredients that her mother needed, including nirnroot, void salts and vampire dust. She slipped a few pearls in her pocket while Elgrim, the owner, wasn't looking and exited the store. She didn't expect darkness to come over Riften so quickly and decided to spend the night. Her conversation with Maul lasted longer than it felt. However, upon making her way to the Bee and the Barb to rent a room for the night, her eyes caught a man standing in the center of the marketplace, advertising some suspicious potion to a crowd of townspeople. For a brief moment their eyes met, her bright blue Nordic ones with his emerald green orbs. He stopped talking for less than three seconds, sent her a tiny smirk and continued speaking to the crowd. Artis didn't think much of it at first, but when she turned to head towards the inn, she saw a hooded figure sneak past every bystander while pickpocketing them.

The sight still replayed over and over in her head as she lie in her bed that night. She remembered Hadvar, who has been to almost every town and city in Skyrim, telling her that Riften was home to a Thieves Guild. Maul also mentioned them. They were famous once for stealing and pickpocketing, but it's been a while since they relived their glory. The other thing that suddenly bothered her was the green-eyed man who caught her eye. What was that potion he was selling? What did he have in his pockets? What would she find if she slipped her hand unnoticeably into the inside pockets of his jacket? With those last thoughts she drifted off into a confused slumber.

Artis awoke the next morning with new determination. In less than a few minutes she packed her few things into her leather bag, ate breakfast at the Bee and the Barb and headed out to town. Her mission before leaving Riften was simple; pickpocket the green-eyed man and allow her mind to have peace.

She didn't really think it much through. Her short time in Riften the previous day was enough for her to survey the area. The guards all marched around the circle where the marketplace was located, not paying much attention to what was bought, nor to who bought it. The only possible threat she found was a tall warrior-like woman who everyone called Mjoll the Lioness. Luckily, she was easily distracted by a bottle of mead if Artis heard correctly. She approached Mjoll calmly, introducing herself in the most natural way possible.

"Mjoll the Lioness." The warrior said proudly, "You're new here too? I've been adventuring across Tamriel since I was a fresh-face young woman barely able to swing a blade."

Artis suggested trading stories with the woman over a bottle mead, which she accepted eagerly. However, Artis spiked the second bottle with the seeds of a poppy flower and had the pleasure to see Mjoll passed out on the ground after drinking half of the bottle.

Artis had to wait for the green-eyed man to show up, though. He didn't seem like someone who was bothered to open up shop at the break of dawn, since he arrived around noon to advertise his potions yet again. And yet again there was a hooded figure that passed the people, leaving them slightly poorer as he or she swiftly slid their hand into the purses and pockets. Artis observed from out of the shadows of the Temple of Mara until the man locked his stall for lunch, even though he only arrived there moments ago. She threw her light blue cotton hood over her head and followed him soundlessly. Upon passing him, she lightly bumped his shoulder with hers, slipping her hand into his pocket...

She, however, found nothing but a small, rectangular box. To seem less suspicious, she muttered a soft apology, shoved the box into her own pocket and made her way towards the gates of Riften. She glanced over her shoulder to see if the man was following her but found that he was nowhere to be seen. Just as she reached the gates, all of a sudden, a hand covered her mouth from behind while another wrapped around her waist and pulled her behind one of the houses. Artis struggled in the stranger's grasp, but with no success. Her back was pushed harshly against a stone wall and the stranger's face came into view. The emerald green eyes were the first features Artis saw and immediately knew who it was.

"Alright, let's see who hides underneath this hood." The man spoke with an accent and ripped her hood clean off her head. His eyes brightened with what seemed to be amusement before they became stern and serious again, "You. I saw you at the marketplace yesterday. You didn't strike me as a thief, aye, lass."

Artis bit down onto his hand, which caused him to release her mouth with a curse word or two, but not her waist, "And you didn't strike me as one either, asshole!"

"You're very observant, lass." He smirked, "But I'm sure you and I both know who the actual thief here is. Let's see, where is that tiny box you stole from me..." his bitten hand reached into her pockets, searching for whatever she stole from him. His hand brushed against her bare skin a few times as he searched the pockets on the inside of her armor, grinning at the scowls and death glares she shot at him as he searched the valley between her breasts as well. "Ah, here it is." He finally announced and dangled the box in front of her face, "This can be quite valuable when I have all the pieces."

Artis watched him slipping the box inside his inner pockets with curiosity, wondering what could possibly be inside. Maybe a fragment of an enchanted weapon, or a jewel with magical powers? She didn't have much time to wonder about it. The man held a coin purse in front of her face with a smirk and an unholy gleam in his eyes.

"Don't take this the wrong way, lass." He spoke, "I'm not letting you off the hook here. I'm teaching you a lesson before I let fate take care of ya. Never pickpocket a pickpocket. Aye, such a shame to see a lass like yourself go, especially with your pretty face, but I have a reputation to keep up here. Hope we'll cross paths again in the future if you're out of jail." Before she could ask him what he meant, he shoved the purse into her pocket, took a few steps back and shouted, "Help, thief! I've been robbed! Guards stop her!"

The moment Artis realized the sick prank he pulled on her, she made a run for it. She couldn't make a bolt for the gates just yet, since the guard who was guarding it stood with his sword drawn. No, she would have to search for a way around. She skidded around the corners of buildings, knocking barrels and crates over on her way to slow down the small army that was chasing her. Upon passing the Bee and the Barb, Maul was just leaving the building and caught sight of her being chased. When the front guard was close enough, he held out his foot and tripped the guard up. The accident caused the entire party to stumble over the leader's sprawling body and soon all were on the ground. Maul stared at his handiwork with satisfaction, sending a running Artis a wave as she flashed him a thankful smile.

Artis found another door that led to the back of Riften, where the fishery was located. She stumbled ungracefully out of town and made a dive for the water. Six guards came splashing after her from the other side of the pier and were joined by the others who Maul tripped over. Artis was forced to swim faster towards the riverbank, having to dive under water to avoid flying arrows. Upon reaching land again, she willed her legs to run as fast as they could towards the stables where Bandit was waiting. Artis hit the guard at the stable in the face with her bow and swung her body over Bandit's back, kicking her in the sides and riding off into the forest where the guards will have a hard time following them. Thanks to heavy armor being even heavier when wet, the guards were slightly slower and gave her hope. She didn't slow down though, not taking any chances until she at least made it close to the border of Skyrim.

That damn green-eyed bastard! Was there no honor left in this world? Surly a thief could help out one of their own in their time of need, but no, he just had to put the guards on her!

Thinking about the man as she rode, made Artis more frustrated and angrier by the minute, making Bandit run faster. She rode on, not slowing Bandit down, nor realizing that she was getting awfully close to the border of Skyrim. It was too late for her to turn back when she suddenly rode into an ambush between what seemed like the Imperials and Stormcloaks. She snapped out of her thoughts of the green-eyed Nord just in time to dodge a sword being wielded at her head. Bandit panicked and stood on her hindlegs, neighing loudly and sending Artis falling towards the dirt covered earth. Even though her wind was knocked out, Artis scrambled to her feet, drew her steel sword and was just in time to block an Imperial soldier's blow from up front.

She fought him off effectively, only with the goal to get out of the ambush alive. The soldier and his friend, however, didn't see it that way, because suddenly, out of nowhere, an arrow came flying through the air and struck her in her chest, sending her flying backwards into the dirt. Artis didn't hear or see what happened next. The moment her head hit the ground, the impact knocked her out cold and she was left to the mercy of the Imperials.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 255 30
Eliza, a inspiring bard, has come to Riften for a fresh start for herself and her nephew, Bo. She thought she was ready for whatever the city offered...
3.8K 443 84
Mirage is the first book of the Shadowmark trilogy. |WARNING| The Shadowmark Trilogy is only recommended for those who are familiar with the Elder Sc...
9.5K 595 28
Macayla wanted to die, only to wake up in the company of Brynjolf, a fellow thief. He recruits her to join Riften's Thieves Guild; even though they'v...
12.8K 439 16
Two years after the Dragonborn's victory, a darkness has settled over Riften. The Thieves Guild has gone into hiding, while the Dark Brotherhood roam...