One Last Thing ✅

By jaxharlow

From childhood, Lil's life has been a nightmare. Her mother tried drowning her in the bath as a baby. As a re... More

one thing
two things
three things
four things
five things
six things
seven things
eight things
nine things
ten things
eleven things
twelve things
thirteen things
fourteen things
fifteen things
sixteen things
seventeen things
eighteen things
nineteen things
twenty things
twenty-one things
twenty-two things
twenty-three things
twenty-four things
twenty-five things
twenty-six things
twenty-seven things
twenty-eight things
twenty-nine things
thirty things
thirty-one things
thirty-two things
thirty-three things
thirty-four things
thirty-five things
thirty-six things
thirty-seven things
thirty-eight things
thirty-nine things
forty things
forty-one things
forty-two things
forty-three things
forty-four things
forty-five things
forty-six things
forty-seven things
forty-eight things
forty-nine things
fifty things
fifty-one things
fifty-two things
fifty-three things
fifty-five things
fifty-six things
fifty-seven things
fifty-eight parts
fifty-nine parts
sixty things
sixty-one things
sixty-two things
sixty-three things
sixty-four things
one last thing

fifty-four things

275 31 5
By jaxharlow

The next morning I awake with a start, thinking I'm late for school, until I realize it's Saturday. I relax into my blankets and sigh. Stir the sheets with my legs, stretch.

The weekend.

Two days until my arraignment.

Till the process to decide my fate begins.

The thought is enough to propel me out of bed. I go to my full-length mirror, hung on the back of my door, and try to see myself objectively.

The girl looking back is about average height, thin, with straw-colored hair. You can't see the bandages beneath her long sleeved pajamas. She looks like someone you might pass at the mall and regard as a regular girl with college plans and a dream to settle down someday, get a good job, maybe have a couple of kids.

You know, normal.

You'd never know my dream is simply to live. To stow my terrible past somewhere deep inside and learn to carry on. To want to do so.

I reach out and touch my reflection tentatively. Trace the outline of my face with the tip of my finger. Pretend I'm someone else, looking at me. Seeing me for what I really am, good and bad. And everything in between.

Something strange happens.

All the pain, the fear, the hate—it starts to melt away.

I stare at myself and see only a girl.

Nothing less, nothing more.

Just a girl who made a mistake.

A bad fucking mistake.

But I will do everything in my power to make things right again. 

As I stand there, I feel a heaviness lift from my heart. I don't know where it goes. I feel the sudden release of a pressure that's been with me as long as I can remember. It just evaporates.

And there's... relief.

This feeling I've never had before, that whatever comes my way, I'll figure it out. Somehow. I'm not naïve enough to believe that everything's going to be work out perfectly in the end. People's lives have been irrevocably changed. But I have this sense that I'll be able to get through it, with the help of Grams and my friends. And I will devote my life to making up for my sin.

This.

It's a feeling of strength.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123 0 26
TRIGGER WARNING STRONG CORSE LANGUAGE I am just a shell of what used to be, nothing but an empty discarded soul searching for hope in this decrepit w...
6.9K 320 54
Everyone would call them ill fated lovers. They started their story without realising the end is sooner then expected. 2 guys who found comfort in ea...
807 9 79
(NOT COMPLETED)(EDITING) ,, Kiss me until your pain is mine ,, he whispered ,, I fear you might drown if I try. ,, ,, I would drown in oceans for yo...
206 42 6
"You should care, Dylan. You would still be living in the back of a car, stealing from Seven Eleven! Is that what you want?" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...