The Devil's Kings

By NaeWinchester

Editing is now complete on the chapters that were published. Let me know what you think! "So what if he is a... More

One
Chapter two
Chapter four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter seven
A/N
A/N...another one

Chapter three

1.8K 41 0
By NaeWinchester

Annabelle had given birth to a healthy baby boy. She had wanted to name her son after her late father, however, Brandon was not a fan. He told her that he would be named after him. He wanted to name his son after himself to carry on his legacy. Annabelle tried to explain to Brandon why it was so important to her for them to name their son after her father, Brandon wouldn’t hear any of it. His mind was made up. Their son was officially Brandon jr.

After the standard three days in the hospital it was time to take Brandon jr home. Annabelle knew she should count her blessings, she had a happy and healthy baby boy, but she wasn’t taking him to the home she shared with her husband. No, they had moved back in with his mom, step-father and little sister Ashley. Who now has a boyfriend that no one liked. All she wanted was to go home and have a quiet evening with her son and husband. That was not in the cards however. There were too many people already there when they arrived at the house. Everyone was home and they had invited other people over. She tried to keep her irritation at bay, but she couldn’t help feeling like no one had thought about her wants and needs. This was her first baby and she knew everyone wanted to see him and hold him, but they could give her a day or two to get settled first.

The door opened for Annabelle and she was a bit surprised to see Brandon’s father Derik, holding it open for her. Before opening the door Annabelle took a deep breath and tried telling herself that everything would be ok. The door opened and she wished she could be anywhere but where she was. The house was filled with too many people and it was loud and noisy. As soon as everyone noticed Annabelle with the carseat in her hands they swarmed her. Before the car seat was taken out of her hands, Annabelle set it on the couch and unstrapped her three-day-old son. He was luckily sleeping through everything. Everyone was asking to hold him and she didn’t want to be rude but she also was not ready to part with her son yet. Thankfully Brandon seemed to catch on and told everyone to back off. He was never as polite as she would like, even to his own family.

Annabelle was able to make it to the bedroom that she shared with Brandon and now their son. She breathed a sigh a relief once she had the door closed and she and Brandon jr were hidden from everyone. Thankfully, he had slept through the whole homecoming, Annabelle might have lost it if he had woken up. She was sore and tired and would not be held responsible for her actions if one of the unwanted visitors had woken up her son.

The door opened a crack and Brandon stuck his head through. ‘You coming back out? Everyone wants to see the baby.’

‘I know they do, but I really just want to rest with him. I’m sure he will wake up soon and then I will bring him out, but I’m not going to wake him up. I’m not doing that to myself.’ Annabelle waited for Brandon’s reaction. With him, he usually would not tolerate any back talk from her, recently thought, he seemed to be a little more understanding. The last few times Annabelle had not been able to keep it to herself and spoke out Brandon didn’t seem upset. He didn’t yell at her or make her feel like it was somehow her fault. It was confusing and it had her on her toes at all times. This particular time he merely stared at her before nodding and shutting the door after himself. Annabelle shook her head in amazement. Instead of wondering about the back and forth of her husband’s behavior, she gently lifted her son from his carseat and then laid him on the bed. With a loving smile Annabelle curled up next to her son.

It felt like Annabelle had just fallen asleep when she heard her door open and footsteps approach the bed. She blinked her tired eyes open a few times to find Ashley standing next to her bed.

‘I’m going to take the baby so everyone can meet him.’ Ashley said, bending down to pick up the baby.

‘I would prefer if you waited until he wakes up. He’s only a few days old and needs his rest and so do I.’ Annabelle was wide awake now. She had no idea how long she was actually able to sleep, but this is exactly what she wanted to prevent from happening.

‘Brandon said it was okay now to come get him. You can keep resting.’

‘I don’t care what Brandon said, you guys can wait. This is our time with our son, everyone else can wait. It’s not going to be any of you taking care of him once he is woken up. It’s going to be me.’ Annabelle could tell the Ashley was getting annoyed and would probably throw a fit to her mom and Brandon when she let the room, but Annabelle felt like she was in her right as a mom and a new one too. Ashley was being unreasonable and it was getting Annabelle’s last nerve. Becoming a mom has made her become bold.

Ashley left in a huff. Annabelle knew that she would be back with reinforcements. It didn’t matter to her, she was tired of her husband and his family walking over her and not showing her any respect. She would do whatever it took for her son to have a happy life, even if that meant limiting the exposure of certain people. Just like she thought, her door opened once again a few minutes later. Ashley walked back in with Brandon in tow. Ashely had a smug look on her face and Brandon looked irritated.

‘What's the problem? I told Ashley to grab Brandon jr so everyone here can meet him.”

‘I get that. We just got home. Don’t you think we should have some time together just the three of us?” Annabelle was hopeful that Brandon would see things from her perspective, however, she was not hopeful.

‘Your being rude Annabelle. My family showed up to meet our son and they have been waiting here all day for us. It took forever to get released from the hospital.’

‘I’m sorry that it took forever. Remember though, you didn’t help at all. I did all the packing and paperwork. I’m the one that got everything ready for us to leave while you slept on the couch. All of that after having a c-section. I want to rest. If anyone should be resting it should be me.’

Brandon and Ashley both had blank stares after her little rant. It was like they didn't hear anything she said. Annabelle knew what was going to happen next, it would be so much easier if she just gave in and gave into whatever Brandon wanted, but she was so tired of giving in. Why is it always her that has to give in and make compromises? It wasn’t even compromises anymore. Annabelle felt like he was trying to turn her into something that she was not.

Annabelle was right. Brandon went on and on about how ungrateful she was. His family had been invited to be there when they got home from the hospital. His family, not hers. No one asked if it would her if it would be overwhelming for her to come home with her brand new baby to a house full of people. Not just people, loud people who didn’t have any respect for her. Annabelle wanted to be tougher. She didn’t want to give into Brandon everytime. She was tired of hearing her shortcomings every day. With a roll of her eyes Annabelle gave into her husband and his sister, just like she knew should have too. She tried to lay down and get some more rest. She knew that it wouldn’t be long before her son woke up.

Sleep was elusive for Annabelle. Instead she laid in bed and listened to everything happening out in the living room. It had only been maybe ten minutes since Brandon and Ashley took the baby. She was surprised that Brandon jr hadn't woken up yet with all the loud talking and laughing. She lazed about in bed for a few minutes, soaking up the rest while she could. The piercing wale of her son rosed Annabelle right as she was falling asleep once more. With a heavy sigh Annabelle slowly moved herself out of her bed. Before she could hobble over to the door it opened and Ashley was back with the screaming baby in her arms. She didn’t say anything, just handed the baby over to his mother. Annabelle gave her sister-in-law her best snotty pointed look. She had been right all along. If only they had listened to her. 

After Ashley left the room Annabelle got herself and Brandon jr comfy on the bed and brought him to her breast to nurse. The little guy drank with gusto, Annabelle paused for a moment, worried that he was nursing to fast. After another few seconds, it seemed that her baby boy figured it out and slowed down. Annabelle allowed her body to relax and enjoy this wonderful moment with her son. In this moment there was nothing wrong with her life. She was happy and had a good man that showed his love instead of his anger. Hopefully one day Annabelle would be able to know it instead of thinking about it.

SIX MONTHS LATER

 ‘Thank you. Enjoy your meal.” Annabelle said with a smile. The customer gave her a nod in appreciation before Annabelle turned and walked away, ready for her day to be over. Annabelle sighed as she gathered up another customers order. She had been back to work for a while now and it was the only place that she could get away from Brandon. She lived for when she had to work and when her husband worked. Basically, any time she didn’t have to be in the presence of her husband. 

‘Hey you okay?’ Heather asked.

‘Yeah. I’m just tired I guess.’ Annabelle tried to shrug it off. What was the point in telling anyone how she felt. She had made the mistake of trying to confide in someone and she had been told that everything wrong was her fault because she was no longer a happy person and she was trying to blame that all on her husband.

All of the friends she had before were now gone. They had tried telling her that they didn’t like the vibe they got from her husband. They had tried to be there for Annabelle. Brandon had been a master of isolating her from anyone that cared about her. Friends and family. She barely talked to anyone and when she did, it usually ended in an argument. It was easier for Annabelle to say good-bye to the people that she cared about. There was no sense in dragging them into her mess of a life. Annabelle found herself wishing more and more that she had listened to them back when the were dating. Maybe then she wouldn’t be stuck living like this.

Heather continued to watch Annabelle as they worked their shift together. She wasn’t sure what was going on with Annabelle, but she knew it was more than being tired. There was something there, she just couldn’t put her finger on it. She watched as Annabelle interacted with the customers and her co-workers. She almost always had a smile on her face. As heather was sitting in the lobby on her break, musing to herself about the changes in Annabelle, she watched as Brandon, Annabelle’s husband walked in with an opened box. He didn’t look happy. She glanced over to were Annabelle was standing and found that any trace of happiness had been sucked from her friend.

Brandon waited somewhat patiently for Annabelle to go on break. When she did she walked right over to him and peeked inside the box. It was the box set of mystery romance novels she had ordered online. She was confused and disappointed. She had been looking forward to coming home and opening the box for herself.

‘Why did you open it?’ she questioned her husband.

‘I thought it was the package I ordered. I was wrong. What is this crap?’ he was irritated and it wouldn’t take much to set him off. Annabelle didn’t understand why he didn’t wait till she got home. Plus, who was watching her son?

‘Who’s watching the baby if your here?’ Annabelle didn’t mean to sound so panicky, but she had a sinking suspicion about who's taking care of her son was in.

‘Ashley has him. I wanted to come talk to you about this and I didn’t want to have to get Brandon jr ready and getting him into the car. It’s too much hassle for a quick trip.’

‘Too much hassle? Wow.’ she tried not to roll her eyes at her husband. Seemed like he was the younger of the two of them sometimes. 

Brandon huffed at his wife,’ don’t change the subject. Why did you buy this crap? We don’t need this and it's a waste of money.’

‘Didn’t you just say that you were waiting on a package also?’

‘Thats different. I’m waiting on a new light bar for the jeep. It’s a work thing.’

‘But it’s not. You already had a light bar, you didn't need to order a new one.’ Annabelle could feel herself getting worked up and she took a small moment to remember that she was at work. ‘I have been working very hard and they were not that much so I bought them. It’s a small treat for myself. I should be allowed to treat myself every once in a while.’

‘Every once in a while Annabelle. Your spending money all the time, no wonder we are broke all the time.’

Annabelle stared at him incredulously. He must be joking, looking at his face and knowing him, he believed every word that came out of his mouth. He believed she was the root of their money problems. True, she spent her fair share of money, but she never spent his money. She only spent her money. Brandon always promised they were okay. Everything would be taken care of. She had allowed him to suck her into a false feeling of security. Promising her one things, but never delivering. 

‘Brandon, can we not do this here? This is my work and I don’t think it's appropriate for you to have come all the way down here. You could have waited until I got home to yell at me about spending my money.’ She stressed the word my. She wanted him to remember that she spent her money, not his. Of course he didn’t back down, he had to have the last word.

‘I’m not yelling at you.’ he said with a huff,’ I’m upset with your spending. This i friviouls spending and you need to stop. We’ll talk later when you get home.’ He moved to grab the box, Annabelle’s hand shot out to stop him.

‘Why are you taking my books?’

‘Like you said, your at work. You don’t need them here. You can have them when you get home.’ he grabbed the box with her books and left the restaurant. Annabelle  couldn’t believe Brandon, he was being controlling again. He was doing better since the birth of their son, but he was slowly falling back into old habits.

Annabelle walked back to her work station and tried to smile at her co-workers, all who were looking at her with pity. Heather walked over and hip bumped her, giving her a small smile. Annabelle gave her a small grateful smile back. Heather could always help pull her out of any funk she was in.

‘What did he want? You don't look very happy.’

‘He was just upset about some books I bought online.’ Annabelle tried to pass it off as nothing. She was grateful to Heather for checking on her, but she had learned to not lean on anyone too much. It seemed like everyone she trusted with her problems drop her from their lives. She also didn’t want to be a burden to anyone with her problems. She still wished she had someone to talk to. Her mom had also been her confidant, with her marriage to Brandon, annabelle noticed that her mom was no longer willing to fill that role.

Heather nodded her head ad gave Annabelle a knowing look like she always did when they talked about Brandon. She knew there was more but never pushed Annabelle to tell her. Annabelle was grateful. 

‘Oh I forgot to ask. How was your girls night out with Molly?’ the small smile fell from Annabelle’s face.

‘Oh.’ 

‘It was great. It was awesome to get out of the house and go out, just be me for a little bit. No baby or husband.’

‘ So what happened then?’

‘I told Brandon that I would be home around eleven. Well we were a little later than that and he called me all pissed off, not even five minutes after eleven. I was around the corner when he called me. Like three minutes after eleven and he’s calling me and making me feel bad for going out with my girlfriend.’

‘Sorry Annabelle.’

‘It’s fine. I’m just so tired of him making me feel bad about everything.’

‘Don’t let him, hun.’ Heather says as she pats Annabelles’ shoulder.

‘I know, it’s just become a way of life. Without him I have nothing. There's no way I could move back home, my step-father wouldn’t allow it. Plus Brandon has already expressed what he would do if I ever tried to leave him. It’s not worth it.’ the defeated sigh left Annabelle without her permission. She had said much more than she ever had before.

‘You deserve to be happy Annabelle. Don’t forget that.’

Annabelle gave her a tight lipped smile and a small nod. Thoughts of her own happiness had become nothing more than a dream.

Annabelle parked her car in front of her in-laws house, dreading that she had to walk into the house. She hated living here in the house with everyone, it was a small house with too many people living there. After Brandon’s visit earlier Annabelle felt even more defeated and weary. Sh bucked up and forced herself to walk through the door and hope for the best. She threw her purse on the couch and headed straight to the kitchen, looking for something to eat. The house was quiet, but most of the cars were home, Brandon’s especially. She walked down the hall to the bedroom she shared with her husband and son, she heard Brandon talking to their son through the door. Not wanting to interrupt their time together, Annabelle went back to the kitchen, hoping to find something for a late lunch.

A short time later Brandon come out to the living room with their cranky son. Annabelle continued to sit and eat, wanting to see how her husband would handle the cranky six month old. Normally, everything was Annabelles’ responsibility. Brandon really only watched their son when Annabelle had to work. She ate quickly, getting irritated that Brandon was choosing to sit there playing video games with their son on his lap, Brandon was more focused on the game, not their son. Annabelle was just about to move and get her son from his father, Brandon surprisingly paused the game and picked up the crying baby. Brandon laid him on the couch and pulled the gun that he always carried on his person. Annabelle opened her mouth to ask what Brandon was doing with his gun. Before she could get  word out, Brandon had already taken the magazine out and given the gun to their six month old son to play with. The baby instantly put his mouth all over the gun, attempting to use it as a teething toy.

Annabelle was on her feet instantly,’ What the hell do you think your doing?’ Annabelle yelled. She had never been so terrified and confused in all her life. She grabbed the gun from her son, who instantly started crying again.

Brandon didn’t answer her, he rolled his eyes and went back to playing his video games. Normally Annabelle wouldn’t fight Brandon too much about any decisions he made, it was not worth the verbal abuse that would spill from his mouth. This was different. This was her son, the only good thing to come from her asshole of a husband.

‘Brandon.’ she had tried to calm herself down. If she continued to sound hysterical Brandon would only use it against her. She called his name one more time before she stomped in front of the screen holding his attention.

‘Brandon. What the fuck? You gave a gun to our baby. To out six month old infant. He could hurt himself.’ she was trying her hardest to keep her emotions in check, it was difficult. She just wanted to yell and scream and push him out of the house and far away from her son. 

‘What the hell Annabelle? Why are you being such a bitch? I was in the middle of a game.’

‘I would like to know why you thought it would be a good idea to give our infant son a gun to play with?’ she seethed.

‘What is going on out here?’ Sarah asked,’ I could hear you guys over my shows.’ She stood, waiting for either of the young couple to answer her. Neither one was willing to back down from the standoff between each other.

‘ Your son decided to give my son a gun to play with, instead of getting his teething ring out of the freezer, like a normal person.’ Annabelle didn’t even attempt to keep the venom out of her voice.

‘What?’ both Ashley and Sarah said this time. Of course Ahsley is out here now. She was just as nosey as her mom.

‘He was upset and it’s not like it was loaded. I took the magazine out and there was no bullet in the chamber.’

Annabelle threw her hands in the air.’ It’s still not okay to give a gun to my son Brandon. His mouth was on it. What if he got sick? There is no telling what is on your gun.’

‘Oh god, your so stupid. I clean the gun, i’m pretty sure the oils used to clean the gun are not going to hurt him.’

‘See. Brandon says it’s okay and the gun was not loaded when he gave it to him. Everything is fine.’ Sarah said.

Annabelle was frozen in her spot. It felt like her mind was fracturing and going to break any moment. She was appalled that no one else seemed to think that giving Brandon jr the gun was a bad idea. What if Brandon had not checked to make sure there was no bullet in the chamber? What if he had a reaction to any of the chemicals used to clean the gun? Annabelle could admit that maybe she was just a tad overprotective of her son. Could she be faulted for that though? It was her job as his mom to protect him, even if it was from family.

Brandon was busy mumbling under his breath and Ashley and Sarah had gone back to their rooms. Annabelle went to grab the teething ring from the freezer and pick up her son from the couch. She went to her room and curled herself around her baby, not willing to let him go. Mother and child soon found themselves asleep.

The next morning Annabelle got up for work like any other normal day. Today felt different to her. There was a change that needed to happen and Annabelle needed to be strong enough to make the change.

She went to work and did her job without her usual cheesiness and chatter. Her co-workers must have gathered that she didn’t want to be friendly today and for that Annabelle was very grateful. She didn’t think she could tell anyone what was going on without completely breaking down. Brandon had been texting her since she left the house. Both Brandons had still been asleep when she had left to open the restaurant that morning. His text messages were filled with sweet words. None actually held an apology for his choice last night, just meaningless words meant to pacify her. She ignored them all. Eventually he showed up, Annabelle glanced at the clock. She had three more hours in her shift before she could leave. She asked her manager for her last break. She knew that telling Brandon at her place of work was probably not the best place, she also knew that she needed to tell him in a public place.

She reached the table Brandon had chosen and sat down opposite of him on the stool.

‘Hey babe.’ he said. There was no remorse for his actions last night. Everything was back to normal for Brandon. He was expecting Annabelle to get over last night's events as well, thats what would normally happen.

‘I want a divorce.’ there, she had said it. She felt a strange relief after coming clean that she was not expecting. The tense anticipation, waiting to see how he would respond, she was expecting that feeling. For once Brandon did not have anything to say. 

‘What? Why?’

‘I'm not happy anymore, I haven't been for a long time. That's the main reason I guess.’

‘You guess? What the hell Annabelle, you need to tell me what is going on. Is there someone else? You’ve been seeing someone else. Well jokes on you, your nothing but a slut and he’ll grow tired of you soon. No one will ever want you if you walk away from me.’

‘That got ugaly quick. That though, that whole little speech about me being a whore and never finding anyone after you, that's why I’m not happy anymore. This is not the place, but I can’t do this anymore.’

Annabelle watched him carefully. He had been surprised for sure when she dropped her little divorce bomb on him. Then came the anger and it seemed like he was trying to make himself sad at the situation, but his face gave him away. His face was blank, no emotion in his eye, except maybe boredom.

‘We can talk more when I get home. I have to go back to work.’ She left the table and went back to work. She didn watch as her soon to be ex-husband sat for a moment longer at the table and then left. Heather gave her an imploring look from her spot across the kitchen.

‘Later.’ was all Annabelle said. Heather nodded her head and left it alone. Annabelle knew she needed a game plan. This feeling of freedom would not last. Brandon would find a way to crush it if she let him and there was no way he would make the divorce easy on her. A part of her was hopeful that he would agree to it, neither one of them was happy it seemed. Annabelle pushed her failed marriage from her mind and focused all of her energy on her work. She needed to find the strength to believe that everything would work out in the end. Hopefully. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

443K 12.9K 34
Blaze White is the New Girl at the Prep school in her mothers old home town. But her only goal for senior year is to keep a low profile, no friends...
2.1M 41K 34
You're going to pay for that." I whispered to her, making sure to graze my mouth across the spot that makes her breath hitch. When I saw her remain u...
503K 13.5K 36
✔COMPLETED ✔ Description: So, what do you do at 14 when you've been kicked out of the only home you've ever known? What do you do when you call you...
7.6K 516 58
"You're nicer when drunk" I state looking ahead. "You don't know me that well" she replies. "Neither do you but look where we are now" I murmur start...