To Slow a Treacherous Heart ✓

By thedrowningfishi

[Book I of the Heart Series] ❝I'm sorry Ryan. But I will never love the face of my parents killer.❞ ❝You can'... More

Foreword
Copyright
The Note
Praise for Treacherous Hearts
Violet Thorne [1994 - 2005]
Prologue| A Night Worth Fighting For
01| Misting Memories
02| A Bleeding Heart
03| A Million Dollar Smile
05| A Painful Punishment
06| A Panicked Reunion
07| A Trying Time
08| A Confused Confession
09| An Unwanted Explanation
10| The Eye of the Storm
11| Tipping Point
12| Can't Love My Killer
13| A Blinding Rage
14| The Leech
15| A Death Like Conversation
16| A Pain in the Past
17| Tricky Planning
18| Playing with Fire
19| Threaten Me Twice
20 | Loose Strings
21| A Revolting Revelation
22| The Bloody Plan [Part I]
23| The Bloody Plan [Part II]
24| An Unsatisfactory End
25| Watching Over You
26| Waking Up
27| Pulling the Plug
28| Therapeutic Torture
29| Death Thou Eternal Bliss
31| A Depressing Departure
32| The Tell-Tale Heart
33| The Final Stage of Grief
34| A Different Kind of Ache
35| The New, the Old and the Guilty
36 | A Frantic Call
Epilogue| You Again
Book 2 |How to Heal a Broken Heart

30| Heart Beats

1.9K 106 10
By thedrowningfishi

Date Published: Tuesday, May 14th 2019

         Chapter Thirty: Heart Beats

"Turn it off," May said, her voice off. She wanted it to stop. The siren wail of the heart rate monitor.

Aditya choked back a sob. He walked towards the machine himself, not trusting the nurse with this final minuscule task.

His eyes watched the line, a manic through crossing his mind.

Get up!

Just one beat.

Show me. That you still want to be here. That you want to be with us.

He did something he very rarely did.

Please God, please bring him back.

The horizontal line did not move. He glanced at May.

She was starting stock still at Ryan's body. For that would be what it would be referred to from now until his burial. A body.

This was what death did. It took away everything.

It reduced a man to something inanimate. Something extinct.

He had dissected bodies in his youth. Seen dozens of them. But nothing prepared him for this.

The body of a loved one.

He hadn't even felt this wretched at his parents' divorce. God, and that had been hell. Not for his parents, they were better off separated.

But to take care of his siblings after-well.

He shook his head, pulling himself out of the dark void it almost sunk into.

He turned back to the heart rate monitor.

He would do procedures that required no effort and could be done by anyone. A random nurse.

He would check vitals, write down the time of death, do all the little nothings one did during such a situation-but he couldn't, couldn't process what happened.

He'd read a text once- an essay on idleness. Idleness could even be defined as the state of being perpetually busy with mundane useless, unproductive work.

He didn't care. He'd be idle then-to hell with it. He'd bloody clean syringes if he had to. He just couldn't accept it.

His best friend was dead.

"Please, turn it off Aditya!"

His finger hovered at the button. He felt its grooves under his finger tip. Brushing against it. He didn't want to; it was too final. Way too final.

Stalling, stalling, stalling.

He sighed. A deep one. This was useless. He was going to press the button.

He willed his finger to-

And then; his whole body froze. Stalled by the beep. His face snapped up before he could even process what was happening.

"May," he whispered.

May looked at the heart rate monitor. Then she looked back at Ryan.

Her gaze moved like that for about an entire minute.

Like a person watching tennis match. Without processing what was actually happening.

She looked back at the doctor, questioning the functionality of his machine. 

Aditya? Aditya, is this real? Am I delusional?

He seemed to grasp her meaning; he gave her a small smile and motioned to Ryan. She glanced back at the bed.

Her eyes filled.

Ryan's chest was moving; up and down. A steady rhythm. 

***
Next Update: Friday, May 17th 2019

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 6.2K 61
------- He loved the girl that can't love him.....And now he can't love the girl that loves him -------- ** "Don't worry.." I say, getting up off the...
1.7M 67.8K 58
[COMPLETED] Wattys2018 Shortlist! PROMOTED ON COSMOPOLITAN.COM Highest rank #6 on Chicklit What's Hot List FOLLOW ME FOR EXCLUSIVE UPDATES ❤ ...
7.9M 326K 153
*Book 1 in the Soulmates Series* 🎖Featured Reading Lists: •@Wattpad's Editor's Pick & Spring Cleaning •@TeenFiction Soul Deep •@WattpadRoyals Fantas...
237K 10.9K 80
❝ You make this messed-up world look so much more beautiful. ❞ Gathering me in his arms, he pulled me close -- his lips seeking mine hungrily. ──────...