Better Than I Know Myself

By sleepwalker

Jesse Logan's life was turned upside down when his younger sister Holly was kidnapped and presumed dead. Sinc... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Author Note

Chapter Eight

26K 1K 101
By sleepwalker

(Adrian POV)

I watch as Jane walks outside with Jesse, I am so glad this night is over. I wasn't sure how much longer I could have put up with Jesse's non-stop annoying behavior. I walk up to her bedroom and wait for her to come back.

I sit on Jane's bed as I wait for her to say goodbye to Jesse. My mind goes back to Jesse, no matter how hard I try to push him out of my head, he just always seems to weasel his way back in. Ugh, to make it worse, he is your typical straight guy that enjoys tormenting the gay kid. The nerve of him flirting shamelessly with me. I hate guys like that. They just think they are so smug by leading on the gay kid, just for their sick amusement. I grab one of Jane's pillows, punch it over and over. I imagine it is Jesse's dumb smug handsome face. Ugh, dammit Adrian! He isn't handsome, you hate him, he is such a jerk, remember? Frustrated, I toss the pillow at the door, just when Jane walks in and hits her in the face.

"Ouch jerk wad, what the hell! Why are you throwing my pillows around?" Jane demands as she picks it off the floor and throws it back at me. I duck in time, "well, what's your deal?"

"Ugh, nothing, so is the spawn of Satan gone already?"

Jane raises her brow at me, "spawn of Satan?" she deadpans.

I roll my eyes at her. I know she likes Jesse, but I just don't see why she does.

"Jesse, is he gone already?"

"Yes, he is gone, hmm by the way I said we would give him a lift to school."

I groan. I really wish she would have asked me before volunteering me to be his personal chauffeur.

"You know it's rude to offer rides to other people, when it's not your car they are going in."

Jane sighs deeply.

"Besides I don't like him and frankly I don't want to even pretend to like him either."

"Why do you dislike him so much?" Jane questions me.

I snort, "Did you not see what he was doing at dinner?"

She cocks her brow.

"Are you honestly going to sit there and tell me you didn't see him flirt with me at dinner?"

"Really Adrian you're going to hate him for that?"

"Well yeah, you want me to be flattered that some dumb straight boy thinks it's okay to flirt with me for his own sick amusement? I don't think so Jane, if there is one thing I hate the most is being a butt of someone's joke. I get that enough at school. I don't need it outside of school too." I hiss.

I hear Jane sigh as she sits down next to me. She places her arm around my shoulders. "Adrian he doesn't do it to be mean, it's just harmless teasing. You should really get to know him before you judge him."

I roll my eyes.

"He really is a nice guy and it's not like he has ever told you or done anything rude to you."

I know she is right, but truth be told I am scared. What if he really is a nice guy, which would mean it will make it harder for me to hate him. Like I said before I don't need to fall for the straight guy. "I'll think about it, but I'm not making any promises."

Jane kisses me on the cheek and gets up from the bed.

I watch her as she goes through her movie collection; every Sunday night before going to bed we watch a movie. Today is her turn to pick out a movie and knowing my luck she is going to pick a horror movie. This means I am not going to get any sleep tonight.

"Okay, I want to watch From Prada to Nada." She announces.

I look at her oddly. She doesn't like that movie, in fact the only reason she even has it is because I left it here one day. She hates any movie that contains romance in it, she is up to something.

"Okay, what do you want?" I demand.

Jane tilts her head and stares at me with confusion.

"Oh, don't give me that look; I know you're up to something. So what is it?" The only thing that I can think of is she really wants me to get to know Jesse. This means she really does like Jesse to the point they might start dating and she wants us to get along.

"I don't want anything, I just felt like watching this movie. Besides I know how much you love this movie, and since I did kind of just made you Jesse's personal chauffeur, I feel bad." She claims.

She might have fooled anyone else, but with me I know her better than I know myself. For now, I am going to let it go, one because my mind is already busy with other thoughts, and two because I really want to watch that movie, so sue me I am a romantic at heart.

Jane pops the DVD in and starts the movie. I glance at her every so often to see if she is really watching the movie. She isn't watching it at all, in fact she is texting and I am pretty sure it is Jesse she is texting.

"So when is Jesse going to officially ask you out on a date. Let me guess he doesn't date, he is more of a player type?" I ask.

Jane glares at me and throws one of her pillows at me.

"We are just friends, so don't think you are going to be able to get rid of me that easily. He isn't a player; in fact he has had only one serious relationship. Besides you are right I am not exactly his type."

I sigh. I knew she was crushing on him and I'm pretty sure he had already made it clear to Jane that he just isn't into her. Still, I don't see why she would still want to hang out with him.

"I'm sorry, well it's his lost any way. So what is his type then?" I really didn't care, but I think maybe if I can find out I can get him a girlfriend and get him out of my life.

"I don't know, why?" She asks casually.

I stare at her, "then how do you know you're not his type then?" I question her.

"I just know okay and why do you even care, I thought you didn't like him anyway?"

I scrunch up my nose towards her.

"I don't," I say as I turn back to watching the movie.

"You're a terrible liar, so come on tell me the truth." She demands.

"Ugh fine, I just thought that maybe if we could get him a girlfriend we can get rid of him. I'm sorry Jane I know you like him, but I just don't think I can pretend to be his friend." I say.

Jane looks at me as she narrows her eyes.

"Oh my god you like him don't you?" She shouts excitedly.

"What? Hell no, I don't. I can't stand him." I spit back.

"You're such a liar, why don't you just admit you like him?" She says.

Because he is straight and why in the hell would I want to like someone who is never going to return the feeling?

"There is nothing to admit. I don't like him and even if I did, have you forgotten he is straight? Why would I put myself through torture like that pining after a guy who is and will never feel the same way about me?" I get off the bed and start putting my shoes back on.

"Where are you going, I know you're not going to go home?" She demands.

"If you're going to be pestering me about if I like Jesse then, yes I'm going home." I grab my sweater and put it on. I walk to the door and turn the handle. "I will rather be there knowing people won't be pestering me about liking someone who I can't stand." I open the door and pause a while to see if Jane will try to stop me from leaving.

"Okay, fine I will drop it, just get back over here and finish watching the movie. Then, we can go to bed." She pats the spot I was sitting.

I sigh and walk back to the bed. She is lucky I don't really want to go home.

"Okay, let's finish this, I'm tired and I really want to get to bed." It is a lie; I just don't want to sit here while she watches me. She know I am lying about not liking Jesse. I just wish she would realize there is no point in me admitting I like him when I have no shot with him.

-k^JF

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

964 28 23
Vinny is a quiet kid. His dad thomas is a lawyer , his mom Alice is a nurse and his twin brother Xavier well.. he's a real asshole. Vinny's parents h...
69.9K 1.6K 25
(BoyXBoy) Death has a strange way of working. While it takes away someone you love it can bring you closer to someone you never thought you would get...
4M 196K 38
***EDITED AND REVISED VERSION IS AVAILABLE ON AMAZON IN PAPERBACK AND KINDLE*** "You wrote my name wrong" "You said it's Rider" "It's Ryder with a Y"...
125K 225 2
After losing his parents and being abused, Thomas is learning how to enjoy his life again - something he thought was impossible for him, but then he...