Fire {Elements of Power 1}

By makexbelieve

Two girls, two secrets, and a boy who will make them question everything they've ever believed. *** Roxy thin... More

Chapter One: Roxy
Chapter Three: Roxy
Chapter Four: Jasmine
Chapter Five: Jasmine
Chapter Six: Jasmine
Chapter Seven: Roxy
Chapter Eight: Roxy
Chapter Nine: Jasmine
Chapter Ten: Jasmine
Chapter Eleven - Roxy
Chapter Twelve - Jasmine
Chapter Thirteen - Roxy
Chapter Fourteen: Jasmine
Chapter Fifteen: Roxy
Chapter Sixteen: Roxy
Chapter Seventeen: Jasmine
Chapter Eighteen: Roxy
Chapter Nineteen: Roxy
Chapter Twenty: Jasmine
Chapter Twenty One: Roxy
Chapter Twenty Two: Roxy
Chapter Twenty Three: Roxy
Chapter Twenty Four: Jasmine
Chapter Twenty Five: Roxy
Chapter Twenty Six: Roxy
Chapter Twenty Seven: Jasmine
Chapter Twenty Eight: Jasmine
Chapter Twenty Nine: Roxy
Chapter Thirty: Jasmine
Chapter Thirty One: Jasmine
Chapter Thirty Two: Jasmine
Chapter Thirty Three: Roxy
Chapter Thirty Four: Roxy
Chapter Thirty Five: Roxy
Chapter Thirty Six: Jasmine
Chapter Thirty Seven: Roxy
Chapter Thirty Eight: Jasmine
*Bonus Chapter* Panic

Chapter Two: Jasmine

55.8K 1.4K 295
By makexbelieve

The Arcan Realm was bitterly cold, as usual. But that hadn't stopped me from rushing down to the sea as soon as I finished my morning chores. I'd been there for an hour now, standing on the very edge of the shore, eyes fixed to the horizon. Facing the cold was more than worth it; today, Brae was coming home. 

Brae had been like a brother to me my whole life. We were like twins, everyone always said so, which was why being away from him---even if it was only for a couple of weeks---had been so hard. There had been so many moments when I'd wanted to find him, to ask him some crazy question that he would have thought I was insane for even coming up with, to suddenly remember that he was in another Realm.

I pulled the beige shawl Noni gave me for my last birthday a little tighter around my shoulders; protection against the icy wind that whipped across the sea. My shoes were off though, lying discarded half way up the beach; it didn't matter if I was about to turn into a glacier, I never missed an opportunity to let the waves break over my feet. Besides, once you got used to it, the water felt a lot warmer than the air; its temperature always stayed the same as it wasn't constantly fluctuating like the wind.

I let my bright, cerulean eyes scan the full length the horizon, but they couldn't pick out so much as a speck in the distance, let alone Brae's ship, the Aeolia.

Frustrated, I turned my attention back to the water, letting my feet trail slowly across the surface, sending ripples out into the sea. I closed my eyes, focusing entirely on the movement of the water as it licked the bottom of my feet like flames. I'd always felt drawn to the sea. In the same way that Brae liked to stand on the top of Bryer Hill and feel the winds whip around him, I liked to walk out into the open ocean. In fact, I really preferred to be completely submerged in the water rather than out in the open air, but I wouldn't have time to get dried and changed when I saw the ship if I did. Besides, I'd promised Brae that I'd try to keep myself out of harm's way, and swimming out into the open water without anyone nearby wasn't exactly the best way to stay safe. Not that I'd ever had any trouble out in the water over the sixteen years I had been alive, but it could happen.

I spun slowly in the water as I went in deeper, feeling it rise up almost to my knees. I opened my eyes to check that I hadn't got my dress wet, but before I had the chance to lower them, they caught sight of a large object obscuring the horizon. It was getting closer every second; its sails billowing in the wind as it travelled unnaturally fast towards the shore. Protectors must have been inciting the wind and that could only mean one thing; Brae was nearly home!

I hurried back to the shore to retrieve my shoes so that I could go out onto the quay to meet him. A playful breeze caught my hair, blowing a long dark ringlet across my face, which reminded me that I needed to put it back again before I went anywhere populated. I secured it in a loose ponytail with a blue ribbon before rushing back to the water to check my reflection, making sure that everything was covered. Once I was certain I was safe, I started the walk back across the beach towards the quay.

It was empty save for a few sailors, who were busy untying their dinghies so that they could get back to their ships. Brae had arranged to meet the rest of his family back at home and everyone else was busy preparing for the surprise welcome home party we were holding in the city centre later that night.

A few sailors acknowledged me with a polite nod, but the rest were too busy to take any notice. Most of them were Brizans, here for trade, which was evident from their sandy hair and pearly, ivory skin. I loved coming down to the quay to watch them work; they moved so gracefully, fluid like water. But today I had eyes only for the Aeolia. It wasn't long before I thought I could make out Brae on the prow, the silver streaks in his hair glinting like diamonds in the sun. As they drew closer I waved at him, realising at the same time that he was actually stood on the bowsprit and had stripped down to just a pair of shorts. When the boat came to a halt a little way off from the quay, he leaped off the edge none too gracefully and crashed into the sea, re-emerging a few metres away and swimming towards land. I rushed to the end, laughing, to meet him and threw my arms around him as soon as he made it up the stairs.

''Jazz! I'm soaking!"

''And?" I pulled away, smiling.

''Well... if you don't mind getting wet..." He bent down but anticipating what he was about to do, I darted backwards out of range, so when he shook his hair out madly the only person he splattered was a passing sailor.

''Oi! Watch it!" the man grumbled, glaring at Brae furiously.

''Sorry!" Brae said, mortified.

I had to turn away from them to keep from laughing, but as soon as the sailor had disappeared out of hearing range, I exploded into giggles. ''Tisk, tisk---that's hardly princely behaviour is it?"

Brae shook his head in mock disbelief. ''I've only been home two minutes and you've already got me into trouble for behaving inappropriately."

''Me? You were the one who decided to shower the quay!"

''Which reminds me---I believe I still have to get you drenched." I turned to run back down the quay towards dry land but Brae caught up with me effortlessly and clamped his hands around my waist, lifting me clear off the marble floor. He carried me so that I was hanging over the edge. ''Fancy going for a swim?"

''No! No, Brae don't... please... not that..." My plea lost most of its impact due to my breathless laughter, but Brae put me back down on the ground anyway. As he took his hands away from my waist I felt a brief pang of disappointment. But then a fierce gust blew across the quay and I pulled my shawl more tightly around my shoulders.

''Wow, Jazz, just how many layers are you wearing?" He looked at me incredulously. ''I know you feel the cold but still, a shawl and a cardigan? Isn't that a little over the top, even for you?"

''I've been feeling it more recently, is all," I said, a little defensive.

''And how come you've got your hair up---you never have your hair up." We were walking back down the quay now, towards the city.

''You know, I wouldn't have been so eager for you to get home if I'd realised you were just going to criticise me when you did," I deflected, avoiding the question.

''Sorry, I guess I'm just worried that too much will have changed while I was away."

''You were only gone for a few weeks, Brae!" I weaved my arm through his as we walked.

''A lot can change in a few weeks," he replied sadly.

Didn't I know it. Thankfully, he didn't notice how anxious my expression had turned when he said that, since he was looking out across the sea, back in the direction he'd come. I managed to compose myself before meeting his gaze again.

''If we walk quickly we can catch the next bubble cart." I was eager to get back in the warm after spending so long outside waiting for him.

''I'd rather walk back with you actually."

''But it will take longer and everyone's waiting for you."

''I'd rather have more time to catch up."

I shrugged. I wasn't going to argue with getting to spend more time together.

''If we go by the cart we'll be back home within a few minutes and that's not nearly enough time for me to ask you all of my questions."

''You ask me questions? But it's me who's been waiting to hear what your trip's been like!" We started walking along the footpath which led to the city.

''You'll probably hear about nothing but my time in the Brizan Realm once we get home, but who knows when I'll get another chance to quiz you, one-on-one."

''Speaking of one-on-one, where's Cameron? Did you leave him in the Brizan Realm?"

Brae shook his head, smiling. Cameron was the other Protector who had gone to the Brizan Realm with Brae, they were the same age and it had been the first trip away for both of them. ''Still on the ship; he offered to finish up with the crew so that I could come and meet you." He smiled happily. ''So what have you been up to while I was away?"

''Nothing very exciting---Caleb's had a million and one jobs for me to do, as per usual; he's been getting me to help him on his rounds though, which has been quite interesting." Caleb---my adoptive 'father' for want of a better word---was the chief Arcan Priest in the city and spent each morning visiting those who were unable to attend his church service, due to illness or old age, taking them kind words and our house-keeper Noni's home-baked food. While Brae had been away I'd started to go with him, helping him carry everything and talking to some of the Arcan Elders. ''I spent quite a bit of time with Devon and Imogen as well, we went shopping a few times and ice skating, and yesterday we had a picnic on Bryer Hill. But you can't seriously be interested in hearing all of this, can you?"

''But I am! I want to know everything! Who did you see with Caleb? You managed to survive ice-skating without anything disastrous happening?"

''Hey! Of course I did---I know how to skate, Brae, just because I ran into difficulties last time... I am capable of skating safely."

''Difficulties? Jazz, the ice cracked down the middle---it doesn't get much more dangerous than that!"

''I didn't fall in though," I retorted defensively, folding my arms across my chest as I spoke. I decided I needed to change the subject, ''I really didn't do anything overly interesting while you were away, you know, I don't understand why you're being so inquisitive."

He shrugged. ''Did you make advancements in any other areas?" he asked, looking at me meaningfully.

''No, nothing at all," I answered quickly, maybe a little too quickly in fact.

''Are you sure? You sound like your keeping something from me."

I forced myself to laugh. ''Being away has made you paranoid. Trust me, if I manage to shed any light on that problem, you'll be the first to know." Or the last, if the answer was what I was beginning to suspect it was. He shook his head. It was obvious he didn't entirely believe me; I was going to have to be much more careful.

We were past the outskirts of the city now and the buildings were much bigger. Being as subtle as I could, I led Brae down the more secluded side streets, avoiding the main ones which led to the city centre where everyone had gathered to arrange his party. He either didn't notice or didn't mind extending the walk---unlike me, the cold never bothered Brae. One of the perks of being a Protector in the Realm associated with the air I supposed. 

''I really missed you, you know? More than I thought I would actually." He put his arm around my waist, drawing me close.

''I missed you too; there were so many things I wanted to tell you about; silly, insignificant things, but it still upset me that you weren't there to tell them to."

''Well, I don't plan on leaving again anytime soon."

''Good." We walked along in silence for a few more minutes, both lost in our own thoughts.

It was Brae who spoke first. ''It was strange over there. Everyone looked more or less the same: blond with startling blue eyes, it was impossible to tell anyone apart at first---there was no variety. Seeing your dark hair is like a breath of fresh air---it's so unique. Your eyes are just like theirs though, have you ever noticed that? Bright, bright blue---like the ocean."

I smiled, thankful that he didn't yet know just how unique I was.

{Thank you so very, very much to greek_freak1 for the beautiful fan art. It looks so much like how I imagine Jasmine! If you've enjoyed reading this chapter, please vote/comment to let me know!}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20 1 17
The tragic story of Arnkatla! She is cursed by a horrible spell and has to navigate a world filled to the brim with bloodthirsty monsters and corrupt...
38.8K 1.9K 49
'One person on their own may be able to save the world. But a team of friends, all working together, have a much greater chance of succeeding...provi...
750 104 16
For as long as Ray could remember, she's felt as if she's been drowning in an endless sea, struggling to keep her flickering flame alive. An invisibl...
714 59 7
SNEAK PEAK! Set to be published on Amazon Kindle! Coming soon! **** A modern day witch has to learn how to navigate royal life while uncovering the t...