It Started with Skinny Jeans

By nikkichicky

Aria Jenson had been excited to be returning to Art Haven, a summer art camp she'd been attending since her p... More

Prologue
(Ch1) It Started on the First Day
(Ch 2) It Started with a Critique
(Ch 3) It Started With an Assignment
(Ch 4)It Started with a Pottery Lesson
(Ch 5) It Started With A Midnight Dip
(Ch 6)It Started With a Sweet Gesture
(Ch 7) It Started With A Surprise
(Ch 8) It Started with Heartbreak
(Ch 9) It Started with a Helping Hand
(Ch 10)It Started With a Distraction
(Ch 11)It Started with a Confrontation
(Ch 12)It Started with an Apology
(Ch 13) It Started with Forgiveness
(Epilogue) It Started with a New Beginning.

(Ch 14) It Started with the Unexpected

7.7K 132 9
By nikkichicky

It Started with the Unexpected

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time – Thomas Merton

***

Parents’ Day came around sooner than expected. Had we really been here three and a half weeks already? It seems like only yesterday I’d walked this very same path, starting my first day at Art Haven. Now, I walked this path in the hopes of seeing my parents. Raina and Blaine were both with me, they too going to meet their parents. Though only Blaine’s mother could make it, his dad had to work.

The two walked hand in hand, whispering to each other, while I let my mind wonder off thinking how uneventful the last two days had been.

I didn’t see much of Tommy or Scott after the day I spoke to them. Though, Tommy had joined us for dinner last night, along with Jess. I was so thrilled to see him, but things were a bit awkward between us. I however couldn’t help the elation I felt when I witnessed Tommy and Jess together. It’s clear something was starting there. I’m not sure how long it would take Tommy to move on from his crush on me, but the way Jess hung onto his every word – and by this I mean laughing at his not so funny jokes – I knew it would only be a matter of time before she had him falling for her charm.

Fingers crossed.

Scott on the other hand, I’d seen in class of course. He’d greeted me in passing, but there was no real conversation between us. I missed him actually. Yes I know I’d said I needed time to regain my trust in him, but when I said that I didn’t mean that we couldn’t be friends. Maybe it’s asking too much just to be friends after everything we’d been through together.

How could we be friends when we knew how good it felt to be together, that we could have all that back with more, if I wasn’t being so stubborn?

Though I have to admit, I have seen a change in him. At first I thought I was just imagining things, but then Jackie confronted me, asking if I knew what was going on with him. I of course had no idea and told her that we weren’t exactly on speaking terms lately. I didn’t tell her why, that would be awkward. But I could see she had some understanding that this had to do with the fight and our break up.

She didn’t question it though, thankfully, but she did mention that Scott had seemed… nicer. He’d apologised to her for his wild and inappropriate behaviour, even going so far as apologising for the night he’d found out about his mom, all the things he’s said to her.

I knew that Scott felt sorry about how he’d treated his aunt that night, so it came as no surprise to me that he’d apologised. What did surprise me though was his apology to Tommy. At first I couldn’t believe it that he’d been the bigger man and apologised first. But Jackie said she was there and she saw it first hand.

Well, it seems people can change if they really wanted to. I wonder how long this change would last. I knew Mr Grayson was coming today. Would he too see the change we’ve all seen in his son? Could this change possibly bring the Grayson men closer together?

I sincerely hoped so. No matter what was going on between me and Scott, I still loved him and wanted him to find happiness, especially where his father was concerned.

“Aria,” a voice called in the distance. I blinked as a hand waved in front of my face and my name was called again. “Aria? I think we’ve lost her.”

I sent Blaine a sarcastic look. “Funny, Blaine. I’m right here.”

“Sure looks like you’re a million miles away.” Raina pointed out. “What are you thinking about?”

“How quick these past few weeks have flown by. We only have about three more weeks before this, Art Haven, becomes a memory.” I philosophised.

“True, it’s kind of sad isn’t it?” Raina added on a sigh.

“I do agree with you girls, but we have three weeks, let’s make the most of it and not get teary eyes before the time. I already have to deal with your parting sorrows at the end. I don’t want a pre-farewell party just yet.” Blaine chimed in, making us laugh.

“Blaine’s right. This is a day of celebration.” Raina agreed happily.

“And nerves,” I quipped, thinking about our coming presentation.

Raina laughed. “You need to relax. I’m sure Scott will agree with your description wholeheartedly.”

I worried my lower lip. “It’s not just that. I’m worried about what he’s got planned.”

“I’m sure it’s not that bad.” She assured me. “It’s clear that boy is crazy about you. He wouldn’t portray you in any negative light.”

“What makes you think he’s crazy about me?” I questioned, curious to know the answer.

Both Raina and Blaine grinned. “You really don’t know.”

“Know what?”

Raina just grinned again. “Oh you’ll see later.”

“See what? Do you know something about his presentation?”

She shrugged which only annoyed me. “Maybe, maybe not. Trust me on this one, Aria. Besides, I don’t need to know what his presentation is about to know he is crazy about to.”

“She’s right.” Blaine agreed. “Anyone can see.”  

I still didn’t get what they were talking about. I mean am I going blind? Do I need glasses now?

When I still had the blank expression on my face Raina finally put me out of my misery. “Seriously, Aria, even a blind man can see that boy’s in love with you.”

I froze as a blush crept up my cheeks. “What are you talking about?”

“When you’re not looking he watches you in class. And not in a creepy stalker way.” She added when she saw the expression on my face. “I mean in a he really misses you way. The way he looks at you… it’s so tender. I could see all the regret there. It’s clear he really does regret breaking things off with you. Of course that’s all I got until he saw I’d caught him in the act and then-”

“He brought up his defences.” I finished, already knowing Scott that well.

I considered what she said. Could he really be in love with me? Yes sure, a part of me had always hoped that he would, but an even greater part knew that Scott wasn’t in the habit of giving his heart away so easily.

“Do you really think he could be in love with me?” I asked her, but she never got the chance to answer me, because one minute I’m hearing my name being called and the next I’m crushed in a hug.

“Mom, I can’t breath.” I said feeling slightly suffocated.

“Julia, please give our daughter some space. I’m sure she’s happy to see you too, Honey.” My dad’s voice of reason ran out.

My mom finally released me and I gasped for air. But the moment I took in the glistening green eyes of my mom, I jumped right back into her arms. “I missed you too, mom.”

Letting go of me, she held me at arms length, examining me from head to toe. At thirty eight, my mom was nothing but beautiful. From the pictures and stories my dad told me about their youth, it was clear my mom had been blessed with good genetics. Though there were a few age marks signifying her growth from childhood to adulthood, my mom still looked as beautiful as the dark haired, green eyed beauty she was in her early twenties when my dad first met her.

“Oh, your hand, sweetheart.” The tears in her eyes almost threatened to spill. “Are you okay? Are you in any pain?”

“Mom, I’m fine. My hand hasn’t been giving me any trouble.” She narrowed her eyes, knowing I was down playing it for her benefit. “Fine, maybe it’s been stinging a little, but nothing too serious. I promise.”

Satisfied with my analysis, she hugged me again, this time gentler. “I missed you so much, Aria. This is the last time you’re leaving home this long.”

“Jules, she’ll be off at college within a year or so. Something you can’t stop.” My dad said, coming to stand beside mom, kissing her temple. It wasn’t that hard to see how much he still loved her. “And don’t I get a hug too, sweetheart.”

I smiled at my dad. He’d grown a slight rounding of his tummy, but other than that, he was still in good shape for his age. I stepped into his waiting arms. Even though people told me numerous times how much I looked like him, it still had me taking in his laughing eyes and brilliant smile, and his well shaped nose that I seemed to have inherited from him, whenever people pointed it out.

Yes, there was no denying that I, Aria Jenson, am my father’s child, while I had inherited my mother’s talents. I was a clever combination of them both and there as no way I could deny it.

“How are you, sweetheart?” he asked when we pulled apart.

“Great now that you’re here, both of you. I didn’t even realise how much I really missed you until now.” Both my parents chuckled. “Where’s Todd?” I asked looking around for my brother.

“He’s spending the week with his friend’s family.” My dad replied. “They went to the beach and Todd practically begged us to go. I had no problems with it, I know the boys parents, but your mother on the other hand.”

“You can’t blame me for wanting to keep my babies close.” She sniffed.

“Yes, but at some point we’re going to have to let them go.” He added, wrapping an arm about her waist.

“Dad’s right, mom. This will be a good exercise for you. You let us go a little at a time so when we really do leave, it’s not that bad.” I stated.

“I suppose you’re right.” she agreed reluctantly. “But let’s not dwell on this now. I believe we came here to see what you’ve been up too these past weeks. Shall we go?”

“Yes, there’s a welcome in the mess hall. I’ll lead the way.”

We made out way through campus and I pointed out all the spots and what certain classrooms were for. Though my parents had been here last year, they still marvelled at the beauty and wonder that Art Haven offered with its nature feel.

We stopped near the mess hall, my parents admiring a mural that against one of the courtyard walls. It was signed by previous year’s students who had come and gone. It was a tradition that was started a couple of years ago that all last year students would either sign their names or leave a short message to inspire, on their last day at Art Haven.

They were still looking at the wall when Jackie came up behind us. “Mr and Mrs Jenson?” both my parents turned. “Hi, I’m Jacqueline Price. We spoke on the phone the other night.”

“Ah yes, the headmistress of Art Haven. It’s a pleasure to see you again Ms Price.” My dad greeted, shaking her hand, as well as my mom. “I know we didn’t get a chance to talk last year. You were quite busy.”

“Please, call me Jackie. Yes, I apologise for that. I try to speak to as many parents as possible, but some require more attention than others.”

They chuckled. “That is understandable. I just want to thank you for taking such good care of Aria. If you have children of your own, you’ll know a mother’s worry for her child, especially when she can’t be there to protect them herself.” My mom said, smiling down at me, her arm wrapped about my shoulder.

“Sadly I don’t, but every summer I have quite a few children who become my responsibility. So in part I do know. Plus I have nephew whom I think of as my own.” Jackie looked at me as she said this last part. “But it is a pleasure having Aria around. She is quite a special young lady. It was only my pleasure to make sure she was okay.”

I smiled at Jackie knowing that our bond ran deeper than me being one of the many she was responsible for. In a way our connection to a certain dark eyed beauty had our bond being stronger with each passing day.

“It is a pleasure to personally meet you both and I hope you’ll enjoy the refreshments in cafeteria. I’m sure you’re both looking forward to our presentation later on.”

“Oh, very much so.” My dad said enthusiastically.

“Yes, I’m quite interested to see what my students have planned. If you’ll excuse me though, I have something I must attend to before the welcome.” She smiled warmly.

“Of course. I hope we’ll get to talk before the day is over.” My mom said.

“I’m sure we will Mrs Jenson.” Jackie smiled at my parents and winked at me before heading in the direction of the mess hall.

“So this presentation should be interesting.” My mom smiled knowingly.

I swear did everyone know something I didn’t? “That much I can assure you of, mom.” Knowing it definitely would be an interesting one.

***

We got Blaine and Raina outside the mess hall, along with their parents. Mom and dad knew Raina’s parents, but were only now introduced to Blaine’s mom. While they chattered outside the hall, the three of us stood off to one side and that’s when I caught sight of Scott.

My breath caught as I drank in his appearance. He looked gorgeous and I felt the sudden need to go over to him and wrap my arms about him.

I snapped out of my trance, however, when I noticed his defensive stance and that’s when I took in the two figures that stood with him. Jackie stood to one side, while a man I didn’t know stood in front of Scott.

I could only see one half of his face, but there was no mistaking, this stranger was Scott’s father, Mr Grayson.

I’d always through Scott was the splitting image of his mother, but looking at the older Grayson makes me realise Scott had quite a bit of his father in him too.

Though they were a distance from us, I could clearly see Mr Grayson and Scott shared the same jet black hair. While Mr Grayson was much older, it was clear that beneath his slacks and shirt, he was a well build man. I guess Scott gets that from him too. But it wasn’t just that. It was the mannerisms too. The way they both stood – both strong and proud – it was clear these two were a lot more alike than I’d anticipated.

Jackie pulled Mr Grayson into a conversation and I saw Scott relax as his father’s critical eye was shifted from him. My heart bled for him and though I had been avoiding Scott to a certain extent these past two days, at that moment I wished he would look my way.

As if he heard my plea, he’s head shifted in my direction and he froze when he saw me. I felt suddenly hypnotised, under his spell once again. Would I always feel such a rush whenever he looked at me or was it just a passing phase?

Finding my courage, I smiled at him and waved. He smiled back, mouthing ‘hi’. We held each others gazes for a bit longer, communicating with our eyes what we couldn’t verbalise with the distance.

He seemed to understand my message for him to hang on, for he nodded and smiled warmly at me, making my breath hitch.

“What are you grinning about?” my mom’s voice broke into our secret world, making me blush profusely.

For the first time I noticed both my friends were looking at me, huge grins planted on their faces. I was grateful the rest of the adults were locked in conversation. That would have been so embarrassing if they saw all that.

“Err… nothing. Just a friend.” She looked at Scott and a knowing smile crept onto her face. “Ah, a boy.”

“Mom!” I exclaimed in a whisper, looking to see if my dad heard. “I don’t want dad to know. You know how he gets.” I said, knowing it was pointless to keep this from my mom. She has a way of figuring things out. I’m sure she would have picked it up eventually. Better now than later I guess.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be very discreet.” This made me worry. Mom was terrible at keeping secrets from dad. I’m sure in no time he’ll know all about Scott. Thankfully there were no names… yet.

“Let’s get inside before the welcome starts.” My dad said to us all.

I turned to look one last time at Scott and found him looking my way. I offered him a slight smile, which he returned and then headed, together with my parents, into the mess hall.

***

The mess hall was packed with excited parents and students, all happy to be reunited with their families even if it was only for a short while. I stood with Raina and Blaine at our parents’ table, letting them enjoy their coffee and muffins laid out by the cooking staff.

We were happily relaying some of the excitements we’d experienced thus far. The presentation dominated the conversation however and Blaine’s mom felt slightly jealous that she couldn’t see it for herself. I’m sure if we asked, Jackie wouldn’t mind having an extra parent observe.

Blaine was excitedly passing on a new technique he’d learnt in his graphic design class when of all people, Mr Grayson walked past our table, headed for the refreshments table. I don’t know what possessed me then, but before I could think it through, I excused myself from our table and with steadfast determination I walked up to Mr Grayson.

“Excuse me, Mr Grayson?” I asked.

“Yes?” He turned, acknowledging my presence.

There was no smile of greeting; in fact there was nothing friendly at all about this man. His face carried no expression, a mask much like the one Scott wore when he didn’t want anyone to know his true feelings. His eyes, though a deep brown, were not warm and inviting at all. In fact I’d say he was one really intimidating man and it almost had me retreating in fear, but I held my ground, something I was quite proud of.

It was clear Mr Grayson commanded respect and used his intimidating stance to inflect fear in others to get it. No wonder Scott was so messed up. On one hand he his mother abandoned him when he was just a kid, and on the other, his father was cold and unfriendly.

I could be wrong though about Mr Grayson. Though his face now portrayed mild irritation, I somehow sensed that deep down he wasn’t as bad as he pretended to be. If he is anything like his son – which I think is the case – I’d say he was using this tough act as a shield. I’m sure he too suffered, as Scott had, when his wife left.

Yes the Grayson men are a lot more alike then they think.

Mustering my courage I stood tall and said. “You don’t know me. I’m Aria Jenson. I’m a friend of your son’s.”

“I know who you are, Ms Jenson.” He stated. “My sister-in-law has been giving me updates about my son’s activities.” He looked down at my still bandaged hand. Feeling somehow self-conscious, I held my hand behind my leg. Not that it would do any good.

“Yes, well. What happened; happened. I’m actually not here to talk about my hand or that night, Mr Grayson.” I added, determined to see this through.

“Oh?” he asked brows raised questioningly.

“No, I came to tell you something.”

“And what would that be, Ms Jenson?”

“Scott and I were very close.” He didn’t look surprised by this. I guess Jackie’s been filling him in on a lot of things. “He told me a lot about his relationship with you. I know there are two sides to the story. I don’t know yours, Mr Grayson, but I do know Scott’s and I just want you to know what a great job you’ve done raising him.”

Mr Grayson actually looked visibly shocked by this compliment. It was clear he’d been expecting me to say something bad about him considering Scott didn’t have many good things to say about him, but everything pushed aside that I’d thought earlier, I really did believe Mr Grayson could have done a lot worse where Scott was concerned.

“What exactly did Scott tell you about us?” he asked, clearly curious about the answer.

I shrugged. “Some bad things, some good.”

“The bad I can believe. I’m sure you know we’re not really that close, my son and I.” I nodded in affirmation. “So why would you say I’ve done a good job? Others would disagree.”

I shrugged again. “We all see things differently. I have my reasons though.”

He nodded, studying me for a moment, but I held my ground still. “I take it that isn’t all you want to say.”

“No, it isn’t.” I gathered my thought again. “I know Scott won’t admit this, but I know how much he hates that you two don’t get along so well. He’s a great guy, Mr Grayson. He’s passionate and strong, someone you can really be proud of. From what he’d told me about you and his mom, I always thought he got it from her, but seeing you now, it’s clear he’s a lot like you.”

He chuckled, something that caught me off guard. “I think if Scott heard you say that he’d argue with every breath in him that we aren’t at all alike.”

“True,” I couldn’t argue that he was right about this one thing. “But he doesn’t always know any better.” I smiled, but then became serious again. “Please, don’t give up on him. He’s still finding his way and I know he’d want you there when he does. He’s already lost one parent; I know he doesn’t want to lose you too.”

I could see he was processing everything I said and I was grateful. At least he was giving this a chance. I know it wasn’t exactly my place, but I alone knew what Scott really felt about his father. Something had to be done to help them, be damned the consequences.

“It was nice meeting you, Mr Grayson.” I greeted sincerely.

“It was nice meeting you too, Aria. I’m sure we’ll meet again.” he smiled slightly, which in itself was an achievement.

I was about to turn when I remembered. “Oh, and Mr Grayson, I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you, Aria.”

I nodded in his direction and headed back to my parents, hoping I hadn’t made a mistake by saying all those things.

***

I stood nervously outside Jackie’s room, where our presentation was to take place in the next few minutes. I tried deep, even breathing to calm my nerves, but it didn’t seem to be helping at all. My parents looked at me with amusement on their faces. They found it really funny that I was nervous considering the last time I was this anxious about showing them my work was when I was eleven.

I don’t think it is their presence that was bothering me; it had more to do with Scott. I was so anxious and fearful of what he might think of my work, especially considering what a critical eye he had when it came to my work.

Then there was the fact of whether he’d actually agree with what I saw in him. This wouldn’t exactly portray him in a negative light; after all I was in love with the guy. But it would show a softer side to him, one he might not be so happy to let others see.

There was no turning back now of course. Whether I liked it or not, I’d made my bed and now I had to lay in it. Whatever Scott’s reaction would be, I had to see it through to the end.

When we all entered the room I noted it had all been perfectly set up for the presentations today. Three rows of chairs lined the far wall, while eases – among other things – stood to one side, covered for the big reveal.

The parents took a seat in the last two rows, while we students sat up front. We had to sit with our partners, something I wasn’t too happy about. I kind of wanted to avoid Scott until it was our turn to present. No such luck.

My parents smiled at me encouragingly, wishing me good luck, before I took my seat in the front row. I sat beside Raina and Pete. Scott wasn’t there yet, in fact I hadn’t seen him since before we entered the mess hall earlier.

I wondered where he was, but I didn’t need to guess much longer. The moment I felt the chills running along my arms, leaving goose bumps in their wake, I knew he was there. I looked up too see two dangerous black orbs gazing back at me.

My breathing became laboured as my heart accelerated in his presence. As if the nerves weren’t enough, now I had to deal with my undeniable attraction to this guy who leaves me weak kneed and flustered.

He looked away from me and I noticed his father standing beside him. I watched as Mr Grayson whispered something to him and he nodded before turning and heading my way.

I looked away hastily, feeling the blush creep up my cheeks.

“Are you okay?” Raina asked, but when Scott walked past us, taking his seat beside me, a smirk formed on her face. “Oh, never mind.” She winked at me and continued her conversation with Pete.

I looked everywhere else except at the guy next to me, whose very being was calling out to me to give him some sort of acknowledgement. Mustering all my courage, I slowly peaked up at him through my lashes.

Just as I looked up his eyes fell on me. I guess he too was trying to avoid me. Not that I can blame him. I smiled awkwardly out of embarrassment to which he just laughed, making me feel slightly annoyed.

What did he find so amusing? Did he know how nervous I am about all this or is there something I’m missing?

Before I could question this, Jackie walked in and all fell silent.

She greeted the parents and students, giving the parents a brief description of the assignment she’d given us. She went on to say how much she enjoyed having us as her students this year and knew that for our last few weeks we only have more fun in store.

“Okay,” Jackie said, clasping her hands together as she scanned over us all in the front row. “There are six pairs and I’ve put your names in a hat.” She pulled out the hat from behind her desk. “So that this is fair, a name will be pulled from the hat indicating who will go first and so fourth. Are you all ready?”

No, but we’re going to start whether I like it or not, I thought dismally.

Jackie swirled the hat, mixing the names. Reaching into the hat she pulled out the first person. I sighed in relief when it wasn’t my name being called. In fact, our names were only called fifth, presenting second to last.

I was very well aware of the guy sitting next to me as the presentations went on. His thigh kept pressing up against mine no matter how much I tried to pull away. I think he was doing it on purpose, but when I looked up at him and saw the look of satisfaction glowing in his eyes, I knew for a fact he was doing it on purpose.

I didn’t see much of the presentations, what with Scott’s obvious presence stealing all of my attention. I however, did get to see Raina and Pete.

I must say Pete description of Raina was spot on. She really was just lovable, fun and carefree. What you see, is what you get with Raina. She had no hidden agenda’s, no deep dark secrets that would shock anyone. I know she sounds way to perfect, but that’s the truth. Yes, she’s no saint, believe me, but she isn’t the devil either.

I congratulated her and Pete, but nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard mine and Scott’s name being called out loud and clear by Jackie. I looked at her nervously, but she smiled at me encouragingly. She was the only one who knew what I had planned. I’d wanted her advice on the matter and she wholeheartedly agreed with me.

I’d felt confident about it then, but now, I’m not so sure.

I stood close to my easel, while I noted Scott stood with nothing around him. Had he not done the assignment? This really began to worry me.

“So, which of you are going to start?” Jackie asked with a smile.

Scott looked at me. “Ladies first,” he offered.

Yeah sure ladies first because you don’t have anything prepared. Sometimes I loved him to death and other times I just wanted to strangle him to death.

“Whenever you’re ready, Aria.” She said.

I nodded, taking a deep breath I looked out across the sea of faces. “Good afternoon, fellow students and parents.” They all greeted me with a smile of acknowledgement and I found my parents faces, my mom’s eyes glowing with pride that gave me some strength to go on.

“So, when Jackie gave us this assignment and I learned that I would be working with Scott, I immediately marched up to her and asked her to replace my partner.” There were a few chuckles in the group. “Scott and I did not get along at all. And I’m sure he would agree with me.” I saw his nod of agreement, a smile lighting his face. “I almost begged actually, but Jackie refused. At the time I was really annoyed that she hadn’t, but today I can honestly say… I’m glad she did.”

I risked a look Scott’s way and I saw he too agreed with this.

“It took some time, but we finally got things started. Now you must understand that when I first met him, I thought he was arrogant, pigheaded and that his ego was to big for his head.” there was more laughter this time. “In one word he annoyed me to no end. He wasn’t exactly the kind of guy I would consider being friends with. But then, something happened. I started to get to know the guy he really is.”

I lifted the cover over my portrait of him, the one I’d finished the day of the bonfire, or rather the day my hand got hurt.

“This was the guy I slowly got to know. He was all the things I said, plus he was moody, always so serious about certain things, very critical, he tried to be the mystery, cool guy. This was him.” I pointed to my portrait, taking in the shadows, lights, the blending of colours. “Or was it?”

 I turned back to the audience again, not looking at Scott, in fact trying my best to look away from him. I wasn’t ready to see what he thought just yet; not when the real show was only beginning.

“With time I got to see the real Scott Grayson. He was still stubborn and arrogant at time, but he was sweet, gentlemanly and when he wanted to be, considerate. I’d always wondered why he kept this part of him hidden from the world. At first I thought it was just his nature, the way he was built, but something happened that made me see that fear was the reason for this shield.”

I looked over at Mr Grayson and saw he was listening quite intently to what I had to say. I was glad this would be an eye opener for him. Though I tried my best to make him see Scott needed him, I hope this would help too.

“Fear was the one thing he never showed to anybody.” I went on. “So you can imagine how puzzled I was on how to portray this side of him and then it came to me.” I looked at Scott then. “It was actually inspired by you.” I said to him and he looked at me with curiosity.

Looking at him I could see no hint of whether he liked what I was doing or not. For all I know he could be really angry by the end of this. I just hope he’s not.

“The most artistic way I could describe Scott Grayson to you all in this.” I pulled off the cover of the second part to my presentation to reveal a pottery wheel and clay.

I stay behind the wheel, pulling a plastic glove over my bandaged hand. Jackie made it clear that she didn’t want my wound getting dirty or there’d be no chance of me doing this, so I had no choice but to agree.

“Scott is like this piece of clay.” I got some curious looks. “I know it’s weird but I promise this has a point.” I assured when I saw the sea of faces look at me as if I’d lost it. Though, the looks were more from the parents than the students. I guess they have a better understanding of how these things work.

“He’s like this clay.” I continued, “it’s unshaped, still waiting for the hands of it maker to form it into a beautiful work of art.” I saw understanding flash across their faces and I knew I had then hooked, though I wondered what Scott was thinking, but I dare not look his way yet.

“Much like this clay, Scott is still trying to find his way in life. At times he is lost and confused, trying his best to get through it all. But there are days, when he knows with certainty what that something is.” I started spinning the wheel, trying my best to shape the clay and concentrate on my presentation.

“And it is fear of the uncertainty and all it holds; pain, suffering, love, joy, disappointments, that keeps him from seeing that he shouldn’t be hiding from change, from being formed into the man I know he can be.”

I was still rusty with this pottery thing, but a few crash lessons from our pottery instructor had me doing not too bad. Granted this bowl looks a bit dilapidated, but it actually helps prove my point I’m trying to make.

I lifted my end product to the audience. “Okay, I know I’m not that good at it and it doesn’t exactly look like the bowl it’s supposed to be and it’s not exactly the end product, but that’s just my point here. Scott, he isn’t the finished product, not yet. He is still shaping, smoothing out the rough parts, perfecting his life. And I believe with time and patience he is likely to find that something that he’s so desperately searching for.” for the first time I looked up at him. “He’s on the right track though. I’ve seen and heard a lot about him and his life and I know – even if he thinks otherwise – that everything that he’s gone through is already shaping him into a man not only his family and friends can be proud of, but he, himself, can be proud of too.”

I held his gaze, not knowing where this new found courage I’ve been experiencing today came from. The expression on his face said nothing, but in his eyes I could see a swirl of emotion. I couldn’t even point out one specifically. It was only the slight nod of his head that gave an indication that he approved if what he saw.

“That was quite inspiring, Aria, thank you for that unique take.” Jackie said, pulling my attention to her. I could see pride shining in her eyes, along with a few unshed tears, but being the professional that she is, she held them back.

“Are you ready, Scott?”

“Yes,” he said and I froze my nerves even more on edge than before. “Good afternoon everybody. Every word Aria said about us not getting alone is true, or it was. Though I have to admit I think I pushed her buttons one to many times, so I can’t blame her.”

He ran his hand through his hair and immediately I knew he was nervous too. Was it because he didn’t have anything prepared?

“I’m not one to make big elaborate speeches, so I probably won’t drag this out any longer. When I met Aria I thought she was the cutest thing on two legs, especially when I ruffled her feathers.” He said winking my way. I felt the heat rise to my face and wished I could crawl into a deep, dark hole. Was he intentionally trying to embarrass me?

Looking out at the group before us, I saw a few parents grin knowingly; others had a slight smile on their faces. My parents on the other hand… mom looked giddy, while dad didn’t look too pleased about this. You and me both, dad, I thought.

“Jokes and flirting aside, I thought she was a know-it-all and a control freak who really hated change. It annoyed me. She always had to have it her way. But much like she got to know me, I got to see the real Aria.” He explained. “When she dropped her defences and enjoyed the spontaneity of life, she turned out to be a girl I really enjoyed spending time with.”

“I wasn’t sure how to portray her. She had so many faces, so many angles to her, many of which I began to like that I couldn’t focus on one. So I thought of a different way of doing it.” he had that look in his eyes, the one that made me nervous at times and I knew nothing good could come from it. This time I was wrong.

With Pete’s help he wheeled the big notice board to the front of the room. I’d seen that the board was covered but assumed it had to be for one of the other students. Never would I have guessed he was the one using it.

“This, ladies and gentlemen, is the many faces of Aria Jenson.” He lifted the cover and I gasped, my hand covering my mouth in shock.

I never would have guessed…

On the board were not only sketches and painted portraits, but photographs too. When did he have the time to do all this? It was like a mural dedicated to me.

“The sketches and painting I can take credit for, but I must pay homage to a new found friend of mine who took the photographs.” I heard him say, my eyes still glued to the board. I could only guess that this friend he spoke about was Tommy.

“This girl I got to know not only has a good heart, but she’s a good friend too. When I needed one the most she was there for me, even when I shot her down. This one here,” he pointed to a sketch he’d taken of me, when? I have no idea, “is one of my favourites. Her smile always lights up a room, even though she doesn’t realise it. And this one here is the look of a girl who braved her stage fright to help out a friend.” He referred to a photo taken by Tommy at the fashion show.

 I couldn’t believe it. There was one of me at the waterfall. I was sitting on the fallen tree, my face a mask of concentration as I worked at my sketch.

“This one, however is my favourite.” He pointed one I hadn’t noticed before, one that had me tearing up.

It was a portrait of the picture Tommy had taken of me last year. He must have painted it from the photograph. It had always been my favourite picture of Tommy’s. I’d never seen myself in that light before and it would always be close to my heart, but seeing the portrait seemed to have added something extra that made me love it more.

“This shows the girl I’ve come to befriend, the one who changed me, shaping me into a better man. Though she is still her controlling self, I see a lot of change in her. She learned to open up, to let go and remember that it is okay to once in a while be the carefree girl in this picture.” He turned his attention to me then. “She has a good heart, she’s sweet and funny and she’s able to put up with the craziness that is my life and I think – I think I’m falling for her.”

His last few words echoed in my mind. He’s falling for me? I heard a gasp from the front row and I turned to see Raina grinning like a fool from ear to ear. I felt the blood rushing once again to my face as I met his smiling eyes. We didn’t say anything. It felt like only the two of us existed in that moment, but somewhere in the back of my mind it was still quite clear that we were in the presence of our families and peers.

“Thank you Aria and Scott.” Jackie said, sounding quite astounded. When I looked her way, it seemed as if she was about to explode with joy.

Taking our seats again, the last pair took the stage. Raina elbowed me and I sent her a warning glare not to say anything, which she thankfully got, but the giddy expression still couldn’t be taken from her face. She looked as if she would explode too.

I couldn’t deny I was over the moon myself. My heart wouldn’t stop its frantic beating and the butterflies seemed to have multiplied in my stomach. What was Scott Grayson doing to me?

His presence beside me was so overwhelming I couldn’t resist taking a peak at him. He gazed at me from the corner of his eye and the corners of his mouth curved, making me blush again. I looked back at our fellow classmate giving their presentation, but shivered at the electricity that ran through my arm.

I felt his warm hand as his fingers linked with mine. I didn’t pull away; I didn’t want to pull away. Words could not describe the happiness that flooded me at this simple closeness we shared. A smile came then and didn’t leave.

I wanted to lean into him, tell him how much I missed him and that I was willing to take the risk with him because I loved him.

Could this be the start of something new for us? Only time would tell.

***

The light breeze that cooled the summer heat, fanned across my face, cooling me down and having a strangely calming effect on me. I sat beneath my favourite Magnolia tree, contemplating all the craziness that had happened in one day.

After the presentations were done, Jackie thanked us all and we all received glowing reports. I was reluctant to let go of Scott’s hand, but when I heard my dad calling out to me, I had no choice.

My parents had nothing but praise for my innovative thinking and freshly creative way of bring forward what I had to say. They were real proud, something that had my eyes brimming with tears. Making them proud was all I ever really wanted and especially since it’s with something that’s close to my heart, it meant even more to me.

As soon as they’d sung their praises, my dad wanted to know who exactly Scott Grayson was. I panicked, knowing what my dad was like when it came to me and boys. Noting that Scott and his dad were in a deep conversation once we left the room, I hastily directed my parent in the direction of the mess hall where Jackie had said a lunch was prepared for them.

Deciding I needed some breathing room before anyone else asked me questions; I excused myself, telling my mom and dad I would be back soon. Dad looked sceptical, probably thinking I was about to run off and have a secret rendezvous with my not so secret boyfriend. Not that Scott is my boyfriend, of course.

I still couldn’t believe it. He actually announced, in front of all out friends and families that he was falling for me. Was this his grand gesture? Did he think announcing his feeling for me in a room full of people was going to somehow change my mind about us?

Well, it worked. It wasn’t so much the fact of his feelings that has me caving. It was more his public outing of his feelings.

When we were in our no strings relationship, we never really openly showed affection and with Scott not being a guy who would willing make his feelings known publicly, I knew this was the change in him that made me see I could find a way to put my trust in him again.

A movement to my right had me breaking from my thoughts.

“Mind if I join you?”

I looked up at him, my heart doing those crazy flip-flops it does around him. I nodded, not trusting my voice.

“So,” he started after a moment of silence passed between us. “My dad said you spoke to him.”

Okay, not what I was expecting, but better than the alternative, to which I wasn’t a hundred percent sure about just yet.

“I’m sorry,” I said sheepishly. “I didn’t mean to overstep. I just saw your dad and I knew I had to say something.”

“It’s okay, Aria.” He looked out across the waters, his eyes smiling. “Actually I’m glad you said something.”

“You are?”

“Yes,” he assured, his gaze meeting mine again. “I always thought one of our family members would intervene someday. I never expected the girl I like to be the one to get my dad to finally acknowledge we have a problem.”

I couldn’t help but feel satisfied with myself. At least something I did today paid off.

“He actually wants us to spend some more time together once I get back to New York.” He added in explanation. “He wants us to get reacquainted. Seems we have a lot of catching up to do.” he paused for a moment, his eyes taking on an emotional look. “There’s something else too.”

“What?” I asked with curiosity.

“My dad wants me to go with him next week to my mom’s funeral.”

“Oh,” this surprised me.

“Yeah, he wants us to move forward, make a new start and the only way we can do that is if we say a proper goodbye to my mother and make peace with her death and let go of the past.”

I smiled, so much pride filling me at the courageous move he was making. “That’s great, Scott. I’m real proud of you for taking this step.”

He returned my smile with equal measure. “Thanks. I feel like this will be great for us – for me. I’m actually glad you feel this way, ‘cause there’s a favour I’d like to ask you.”

“Anything,”

He hesitated for a moment, but then asked. “Would you consider going with me, as a friend? I’d really love for you to be there.”

My eyes filled with tears that I held back. “Of course I would. I’d have to ask my parents though, but I’m sure it shouldn’t be a problem.”

He took my hand in his, giving a light squeeze. “Thank you, Aria. It really means a lot to me.”

“It’s no problem at all.”

I held his gaze and for the first time I noticed how his eyes were no longer guarded. He hid nothing from me anymore.

I was bewitched by what I saw there until he broke the spell. “Speaking of your parents…”

I was suddenly on full alert. “What did they do?”

“No need to look so alarmed.” He chuckled. “They are with my dad; seem to be getting along too.”

“Really? That’s great.”

“Yeah, your dad seems like a great guy too. He took my aside, said he was intrigued by my presentation and he wants to have a talk with me before the day is over about the rules for dating his daughter.”

I groaned. “I’m sorry. He can be overprotective some times. I’ll tell him to ease up.”

He chuckled, shaking his head. “No, it fine. If it were my daughter, I’d be doing the same thing. Besides I’d take whatever he’s dishing out if it means I get to date his daughter.”

And there I go again. I’m pretty sure my face was a deep crimson by now. Who needs make-up when you have your own built-in blusher? Was it always going to be like this with him?

“Speaking about presentations.” I started, avoiding the obvious yet again.

He caught the hint. “Yes, that was pretty interesting. I hope I did you justice.”

“It was an accurate description, Mr Grayson. I’m actually considering revaluating my priorities next year.”  I mused. “It is way too tiring being a control freak. I think I might give up a few after school activities and focus on what’s important, like my art.”

“Well that’s really big of you, Ms Jenson. What do you think will be the ones to go, just off the top of your head?”

“I can’t give up my extra art classes, they’re staying.”

“Of course,” he agreed.

“Volunteering at the shelter is important too.”

“Giving back, that’s definitely a keeper.”

“There is drama club and debate.” I said, considering it. “But I help the drama club out once a year and debate, I love arguing.”

Scott shook his head, exasperated. “And we’re back at square one.”

I smiled sheepishly. “It’s a work in progress. I’ll figure it out later.”

“I’m sure you will.” He teased making me elbow him.

“Did you like my representation of you?” I asked shyly.

“I loved it actually.”

“So I didn’t taint you bad boy, mysterious image by revealing all that?” I questioned, brows raised.

“Probably, but I think it’s time I handed over the reigns. Maintaining that image takes too much work.” He joked, making me laugh.

“Is this all part of the moving forward process?”

“Yup, speaking of moving on, there’s something I need to let go of.”

“What’s that?” I asked as he reached out behind him and dropped his black skinny jeans, the ones I loved so much, in my lap.

I looked at him questioningly. “And this? You’re getting rid of your lucky jeans.”

He shrugged as if it was of no consequence. “Well, it’s not really all that lucky anymore. You always looked so sexy in them, I figured why not pass them on to you.”

I eyed him, still suspicious. “These are really mine?”

He nodded.

“And you’re not going to ask them back at the end of the summer?”

“Nope, they are all yours. I don’t need them anymore. I happened to have found a new lucky charm.”

“Oh, did you now?” I can’t believe I’m actually flirting back.

“Yeah, seems all the luck rubbed off on you when you wore them. So all I need to do is hold you close and I’ll have all the luck in the world.”

I tried holding back my laughter but was unsuccessful. “I’m sorry, but you have to admit, that was cheesy.”

“It was, wasn’t it?” he blushed, surprising me, but looking more adorable than I’d ever seen him before.

Truthfully – and I’d only admit this to myself – I’m loving all the cheesy, corny lines. It was clear that he was trying really hard to impress me, but there really was no need. Impressed, I already was.

I finally decided to take the leap, “There was another part of your presentation that was really interesting.”

He grinned. “Yes there was. I hope I didn’t embarrass you with all that.”

“Oh, do you mean when you told everyone, including my parents, that you were falling for me? Yes, I’d say that ship has sailed.” He smiled innocently at me and I couldn’t help but laugh. “You think you’re so adorable, don’t you?”

“Yes I do, but so do you.”

I scoffed. “Full of ourselves, aren’t we.” But truthfully I’d thought that only moment ago.

I became serious then, needing to ask him the one thing that was weighing heavy on my heart. “Did you mean what you said about falling for me?”

My heart beat frantically as I waited his answer, but there was only a second’s hesitation from him.

“No,” my heart fell. “That wasn’t an accurate estimation of how I feel.”

“And how would you say you feel?” I whispered.

He let out a nervous laugh, ruffling his hair in that nervous way he usually did. “I’d say I’ve already fallen, hard. In fact, I don’t think I’ve gotten up yet and I really don’t want to.”

I thought I couldn’t breathe as he kept rambling on, something that wasn’t accustomed to his usual behaviour. The banks of my heart overflowed with joy and love for this guy. Would I ever find a moment where I am as happy as I am now?

I was suddenly brought back to reality when he spoke. “I know we agreed to be friends and that you need time, but I want you know I’ll wait as long as it takes and that –”

He never got to finish that sentence. I leapt into his arms, my lips meeting his in a sweet embrace, like two lovers who hadn’t felt each others warmth in a long while. I caught him off guard with my surprise kiss, but once he drank it all in, his lips moved in perfect harmony with mine.

Breathless, I broke our kiss, my gaze connecting with his as our eyes met.

“Waiting is overrated.” I said and he laughed, pulling me back into his arms, kissing me with such fervour is ignited a flame within my very core.

Pulling back, I jumped up.

“Wait, where are you going?” he asked his eyes still hazy from our passionate kiss.

“To the mess hall. I’m hungry.” I stated.

He chuckled. “You’re always hungry. How about I get us some food and then we can continue where we started.” He proposed, getting up, pulling me into his arms once again.

I placed my fingers against his lips, stopping him. “Maybe my dad should have that talk with you after all.”

“Funny,”

“Seriously though, we need to take things slow, one step at a time. I want to be with you and give this – us a chance, but I don’t want to rush things.”

He kissed me lightly on the lips. “Okay, you’re right. We’ll slow things down. I’m just happy that I have you back.” He agreed, lacing my fingers with his as we made our way to the mess hall.

“Thank you,” I said and he smiled at me.

I looked up at him, completely and utterly in love, words I knew someday I would express to him.

When had this all started? When did I fall in love with his arrogant, yet gentle and sweet guy? I still have no idea. For all I know it could have been the day he called me mediocre, or the day we got assigned to our project. Or maybe it was he day at the waterfall or the night of the fashion show or picnic.

I really have no clue.

All I do know – and I can finally admit to myself what I couldn’t then – is the moment I first laid eyes on him looking all sexy in what is now my black skinny jeans, was that he is going to be trouble for my heart.

And judging from the way my heart was doing acrobatic flips in my chest, I’d say I was spot on.

***

I can’t believe this is the last chapter. I feel sad and happy at the same time. The epilogue should be up soon. I’d hoped to get it done by this weekend but that didn’t work out lol

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I tried my best after changing and then changing certain things again. That’s probably why it took so long to get this up.

Anyway, epilogue will be out soon :) Thanks for reading guys

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.7K 698 50
"Have you ever thought you had a purpose to move nextdoor to me? Do you think fait put as together?" "Of cause I do, God has matched us together, to...
17.4K 347 51
(Cover art by me :)) ) You're the average girl, no Cinderella story here folks! You have decent grades, live with your mom and hang with your dad on...
2.5M 31.8K 31
Zack: heartthrob of Miami with an amazing body and an impressive bank account; but he can't flirt. Ella: Beautiful, wanted, incredibly flirty... And...
7.3K 96 37
It's just 6 weeks what could possibly happen