Salvation (Joseph Seed)

Bởi we_all_have_secrets_

A young woman moves to Hope County, Montana with her parents. After they insist that she finds a suitable chu... Xem Thêm

1. The First Sermon
2. Welcome to Hope County
3. Consider it
4. Decision Made
5. Lonny
6. The Book Of Joseph
7. Chapter One
8. The Brothers
9. Late Night Reading
10. Dinner with Joseph
11. Sins and Faith
13. Pastor Jerome
14. The Baptism
15. The Confession
16. Abstinence
17. Self Restraint
18. Repentance
19. Him or Us
20. Nowhere else to go
21. Moving in
22. Dancing
23. Fluffy Socks
24. Gift
25. The Birthday Dinner
26. The Spirit is Willing
27. John's Advice
28. A Sign
29. A Terrible Sin

12. The Project Barbecue

1.8K 63 15
Bởi we_all_have_secrets_

Evelyn managed to convince her parents to go to the Project's barbecue, it took some convincing for different reasons for each parent but they finally agreed to go. Neither were very interested in what the Project was all about but Evelyn didn't care, the sooner they went the sooner it was over with.

Evelyn walked into the Project's compound, like she often did, but this time with her parents by her side.

"So which one is the preacher?" her father asked, glancing around the compound, trying to spot somebody who looked like a priest of some sort.

"There. That's Joseph Seed, we call him 'the Father'" Evelyn informed them as she pointed over at Joseph, who was talking to some members of his flock. "And those are his brothers John and Jacob...and that is their sister, Faith" she pointed over to each Seed sibling, letting her parents know who is who.

"Interesting family..." Evelyn's mother muttered as she took some time to examine the compound, quickly developing a distaste for it.

"Evelyn, hi. These are your parents?" Lonny smiled as he approached the trio.

"Mom, dad, this is my friend Lonny, he is a member of the church" Evelyn introduced the three of them, hoping that her parents would be polite.

"It's very nice to meet you both" Lonny smiled at her parents but was met with silence, only her father offering him a small nod in response. "I guess you are here to speak with the Father, I will get out of your way, I'll see you later" he nodded at Evelyn, a little awkwardly, before turning around and walking away. This is what Evelyn was worried about, her parents never came off as the most welcoming people.

"Well he seems nice" Mr Monroe shrugged as the three watched the young man walk away.

"He is" Evelyn smiled, nodding slightly.

Evelyn and her parents walked further into the compound and focused on Joseph as he moved to stand in front of his church. The members of his flock began to gather around and watch him, as if he was about to begin a sermon. Joseph smiled to himself when he saw Evelyn with her parents standing either side of her. Then he tore his attention away from her and smiled at his flock.

"There are television sets in every home, every restaurant, every hotel room, every shopping mall, now they're even small enough to carry in your pocket like electronic rosaries. It is an unquestioned part of every day life. Kneeling before the cathode ray God, with our TV guide concordance in hand, we maintain the illusion of choice by flipping channels (chapters and verses). It doesn't matter what is flashing on the screen, all that's important is that the TV stays on" Joseph started his sermon, his voice as smooth and hypnotic as always. He never failed to be charismatic. In fact, Evelyn has stopped worrying about her parents as she found herself so taken with the preacher.

"We need to switch off the television, switch off those distractions, and remember what it is to be part of something. A part of something that is real" the preacher continued, gesturing out towards his flock, the growing community he had proudly created.

"Our family does not live up in the digital cloud. Our family does not send status updates. Our family does not care what you are wearing - we only care that you are clothed. Our family does not care where or what you eat - we only care that you are fed. Our family knows the truth. And the truth is that you are all special. You are all engaging. That you are all fantastic. And capable and wonderful" Joseph finished his unofficial sermon and the flock began a round of applause, in which Evelyn joined in but her parents did not.

"We are not getting rid of our TV" Evelyn's father mumbled, just loud enough for Evelyn and her mother to hear.

"Sounds like propaganda to me" her mother hummed, shaking her head slightly.

"Mom, dad...please..." Evelyn sighed, just wanting them to behave until they got back home.

Once Joseph finished his speech, the flock began to disperse and continue on with their activities. Evelyn and her parents glanced around the compound. There were tables set up with homemade food and drinks, and a barbecue of course. There was a man sitting with a guitar, a group of Project members gathering around to listen to him play. Then a few of them began to sing happily, Evelyn tilted her head slightly, were they singing original songs? Before she could think too much about it, Joseph walked over to Evelyn and her parents.

"It's nice to see you again, Evelyn. These must be your parents. It's a pleasure to meet you both, Mr and Mrs Monroe. I'm Jospeh Seed, please call me Joseph" the Father smiled as he introduced himself to the two new faces.

Joseph looked at her parents and tried to find the similarities between them and their daughter, he found that their wasn't many. She had her father's dark hair and her mother's green eyes but that was where the similarities ended. Her mother was an average looking woman, neither of her parents would stand out in a crowd like Evelyn did. Her mother was conservatively dressed and her light brown hair was straightened, loose, and ended at her shoulders. Evelyn's father was a slightly plump man, clean shaven, dark haired and dark eyed. He wore casual attire, jeans and a sweater. Joseph wasn't normally one to judge on physical factors but he still wondered how these to people could make such an exquisite woman, like Evelyn. She was absolutely gorgeous and Joseph just couldn't see how those genes caused that. Just more evidence that Evelyn was a gift from God, a true angel walking the earth.

"You have made quite the impression on our daughter" Mrs Monroe commented, obviously not seeing any need to offer the man any form of polite greeting.

"I hope that is a good thing" Jospeh smiled and Evelyn wanted to thank him for remaining so polite and friendly, but she also figured that it was probably a part his job.

"Well we don't know about that but you have certainly been taking up a lot of her time" her mother continued, her father not making any comment about the church.

"I'm sorry, I hope our community hasn't caused any trouble" the preacher apologised, beginning to understand why Evelyn wasn't fond about the idea of her parents meeting him.

"I never said it was a bad thing, exactly. At least she is dedicating herself to something that's good for her" the older woman shrugged, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Evelyn is an intelligent woman. I'm sure you know that she has decided to join us, I can assure you that she has made a fully informed decision" Joseph hoped to assure the woman's parents.

"Look...Joseph, let me be honest with you. My husband and I don't go to church but our daughter needs this. I don't really care about what you preach, as long as it's not hurting Evelyn and as long as she redeems herself, she can attend your church" Evelyn's mother told him honestly, making Evelyn run her fingers through her hair and look down at the ground, a little embarrassed by her mother's behaviour.

"I can assure you that no harm will come to Evelyn here, our head of security does an excellent job, no harm will come to any member of our family" Joseph assured her.

"Now, Evelyn told us that you plan to hold a baptism and a confession for her. When will this be?" Evelyn's mother asked, and everyone was thankful for the slight change of topic.

"We haven't set a time or date yet, but I will arrange it soon, you don't have to worry about that. Of course you will be able to attend the baptism but usually it is only me and my siblings. It would be Evelyn's choice" the Father smiled, inviting the parents to her baptism but secretly hoping that they wouldn't come.

"We don't need to go to the baptism, do we?" Evelyn's father finally spoke, looking at his wife for an answer.

"No, we don't. I'm sure Evelyn can handle that on her own" her mother assured him before turning back to Joseph.

"Alright...well, it was a pleasure to meet you both. Please, enjoy yourselves. Feel free to talk to any of my siblings, members of the church, or find me again, if you want to discuss anything or if you have any questions" Joseph smiled at them, politely dismissing them both. Mrs Monroe nodded before ushering her husband over to the table of fresh, iced drinks.

Evelyn sighed and once her parents had walked away, she turned to face Joseph. "I'm sorry about them, they can be a little...rude" she apologised.

"Nothing to worry about, my parents were worse" Joseph assured her with a sympathetic smile.

"...sorry" the young woman apologised again, not sure what else to say.

"Stop apologising, you have absolutely nothing to apologise for. Now, go and enjoy the barbecue" the Father smiled kindly, placing his hands on both of her shoulders. He gave her shoulders a light and reassuring squeeze before dropping his hands back to his sides.

Jospeh smiled at her one more time before turning to walk away but Evelyn gently grabbed his arm.

"Joseph, sorry, I mean Father" Evelyn spoke as he turned back to face her, when she realised that she was still holding on to his arm she released him and blushed lightly. "Are those original songs?" she asked, gesturing towards the group of Project members who were playing guitar and singing.

"Yes, they are. Some members of the project are very talented and musically gifted, some of them have written songs for the Project" Joseph smiled proudly and that alone made Evelyn smile as well.

"That's amazing" the woman smiled, finding herself even more impressed by what Joseph (and his siblings) had built here.

"Ah, my brother seems to want me" Joseph sighed as he waved back over at John, who was clearly trying to grab his attention. "I will see you later" he smiled back down at Evelyn. He paused for a moment before reaching over and tucking Evelyn's hair behind her ear. Evelyn blushed, and smiled softly, at the gesture. Jospeh pulled his hand back when he realised what he was doing, he smiled at her one last time before walking away. Evelyn watched the man walk away, unconsciously smiling to herself. Eventually she snapped out of her trance and took Joseph's advice, she decided to try and enjoy the barbecue.

Points to anyone who knows where I got Joseph's television speech from and understands the irony. XD

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

29.9K 855 35
Leandra 'Andi' Stoddart - Hope County hometown girl, grew into the woman every man wanted to be with and women envied and wanted to be. She didn't f...
28.2K 1.2K 36
Charlie (Charlise) "Chuck" Shepherd moved to Hope County at the suggestion of her brother, Michael, and influence of high school friend, Joey Hudson...
27.1K 1.2K 51
After taking one wrong turn, you end up in the territory of Jacob Seed and his followers. Pleased about the new addition to his mind games, he takes...
25.4K 861 46
COMPLETED✅ Aurora (Rory) Nicole Rye is the oldest daughter of Nick and Kim Rye. She's eighteen years young and lives with her parents in Holland Vall...