Wolf at Heart

By Whisper486

. : Book One : . Melody is a member of one of the five tribes of animal shapeshifters who live beyond the hum... More

Notice
Prologue
Chapter One: The Ceremony
Chapter Two: First Encounter
Chapter Three: Friendly Fire
Chapter Four: Sea Serpent Scandal
Chapter Five: Remembering Them
Chapter Six: Fight in the Forest
Chapter Seven: Bandit Trouble
Chapter Eight: The Message
Chapter Nine: Silent Escape
Chapter Ten: The Lupine Camp
Chapter Eleven: Midnight Feast
Chapter Twelve: A Hunter's Advice
Chapter Thirteen: Left or Right
Chapter Fourteen: The Instructors
Chapter Fifteen: Stable Life
Chapter Sixteen: Training
Chapter Seventeen: His Perspective
Chapter Eighteen: Into the Woods
Chapter Nineteen: Surprise Attack
Chapter Twenty: The Hunters
Chapter Twenty One: The Predators
Chapter Twenty Two: Meeting Him
Chapter Twenty Three: Wolf and Raven
Chapter Twenty Four: Visions
Chapter Twenty Five: Yes or No
Chapter Twenty Six: Paranoid
Chapter Twenty Seven: Welcome Home
Chapter Twenty Eight: Problems
Chapter Twenty Nine: Sun's Chosen
Chapter Thirty: His Memories
Chapter Thirty One: Discussion
Chapter Thirty Two: Flashback
Chapter Thirty Three: Aftermath
Chapter Thirty Four: Confusing Feelings
Chapter Thirty Five: To Think
Chapter Thirty Six: Plans
Chapter Thirty Seven: Sharing
Chapter Thirty Nine: Wrong Captive
Chapter Forty: Stolen Property
Chapter Forty One: Last Warning
Chapter Forty Two: Another Perspective
Chapter Forty Three: The Raven's Claw
Chapter Forty Four: Dominance Game
Chapter Forty Five: Alpha's Command
Chapter Forty Six: Bandages
Chapter Forty Seven: Tomorrow Night
Chapter Forty Eight: The Deal
Chapter Forty Nine: Scars
Chapter Fifty: His Worries
Chapter Fifty One: Tight Boundaries
Chapter Fifty Two: Mistakes Made
Chapter Fifty Three: Double Crossed
Chapter Fifty Four: Unexpected Help
Chapter Fifty Five: A Mysterious Man
Announcement
Chapter Fifty Six: Awoken
Chapter Fifty Seven: Training Begins
Chapter Fifty Eight: Unspoken Promises
Chapter Fifty Nine: Hidden Waterfall
Chapter Sixty: Heated Moments
Chapter Sixty One: The Festival
Chapter Sixty Two: Secrets Revealed
Chapter Sixty Three: A Day Off
Chapter Sixty Four: Risky Assessment
Chapter Sixty Five: Icy Barriers
Chapter Sixty Six: Earthen Explosion
Chapter Sixty Seven: Lost Relations
Chapter Sixty Eight: Final Oblivion
Epilogue
Afterword
Notice

Chapter Thirty Eight: Captivated

29 6 8
By Whisper486

It was impossibly warm and comfortable, and I snuggled in deeper. I sighed in contentment, wishing I could stay like this forever.

Then something under me moved and I opened my eyes in surprise.

Hoisting myself up, I blinked in confusion as I stared into Ash's grey eyes. His gaze held me captive in a trance until he smirked and I realized what was happening.

Ash's arms were draped carelessly across my waist while I leaned my head on his shoulder. Our legs had somehow gotten tangled together in a way that made me flush. And when I looked down at myself...

With a yelp I jumped back, bringing up the blanket to cover myself.

The top two buttons of my shirt had come undone, and though it was still by far modest, I scrambled to redo them. Frantically trying to cool my face, I demanded, "What the heck happened last night?! And why am I on the bed?!"

Ash kept his insufferably mischievous expression and replied smoothly, swinging his legs over the side of the bed, "Yeah, I want to know too. I'm not the one who started..." He halted, switching gears. "...what did you dream of last night?"

Flustered by the situations and turn of events, I stuttered unconvincingly, "Um, just, uh, n-nothing."

His gaze darkened and he stood, backing me into the corner. He lifted his hand, tracing it up my arm and I shivered. "Then why were you crying yesterday?"

I felt my face shut down automatically and I turned my head. "I don't want to talk about it."

The truth was so overwhelming that I didn't want to go back to it just yet. Not yet.

Ash cupped my chin with a calloused hand and forced me to look at him. "Melody..."

He leaned in closer and my breath hitched.

What was happening? What were we doing?

We were almost nose to nose when the door crashed open and Dakota barged in. "Hey guys -- wait, what are you two doing?"

Exactly my question.

I hurried past Ash and into the washroom, barely registering the annoyed look on his face and Dakota's furious gaze on Ash.

After quickly dressing and making sure I was calm and composed again, I stepped back out. I paused in the doorway, hearing shouts of an argument.

Dakota yelled loud enough to wake Sora in the next room. "Leave off her!"

Ash scoffed, balling his hands into fists. "You're one to talk. Do you remember what you did to her just a couple nights ago? You got drunk and decided to be an idiot!"

They both took a step forward threateningly and I thought it was about time I stepped in.

"Hey!" I said, raising my voice to get their attention. "Breakfast first. Then you can fight all you want. But not here."

Dakota gave me a once-over while I braided my hair and I narrowed my eyes, my words coated in venom. "Look somewhere else before if you know what's good for you. Go wake up Sora if she's not already and meet us in the lobby. Now get out."

I saw the smirk flit across Ash's face and I poked him in the chest. "You still have some explaining to do."

Calming myself down was no use. As soon as he looked at me, shivers ran down my body.

Ash grinned. "Now who's in charge? You can be scary when you want to be, you know."

For some reason, it rubbed me the wrong way and I stiffened. Ash saw my mood change and stepped forward. I brushed past him, making my way down the stairs to the inn's lobby that doubled as a diner.

Spotting Dakota and Sora deep in conversation, I took the table farthest from them and sat down. A waitress in her later years ambled up to me and smiled at me. "What's your order? We have oatmeal and cornbread today and the usual drinks."

I politely ordered the special,  barely noticing her write it down.

The waitress must've seen the faraway look in my eye because after writing my order down, she sat at my table and asked, "Boy troubles, dear?"

Startled, I nodded before I could stop myself. "How'd you know?"

She gestured behind me. "That handsome young boy over there won't stop staring at you. And you look pretty worried. When you're as old as me, child, you'll know."

I quickly glanced behind me. Ash was watching me, but when I turned, he hurried on his way, calling for a waiter.

"Don't worry, dear," The lady said, patting my shoulder reassuringly. "It'll work out in the end. Now, I'm going to get your order, and when I come back, I want to see you two sitting together, am I clear?"

I quirked my lips into a genuine smile. "Yes, ma'am. Thank you."

She nodded briskly, and I caught Ash's eye, waving him over. He confidently took a seat, but I could tell he was nervous.

Drumming my fingers on the table, I looked straight at him. "So. What happened last night? And don't give me any lies."

Ash held my gaze, saying with no doubt in his voice, "You woke me up by crying, so I let you take the bed. Hey," He said, lifting his hands in surrender. "I'd started out on my side of the bed, okay? It wasn't my choice to become your pillow."

A blush worked its way across my face and I groaned quietly at my audacity. In my sleep too. Ash was chuckling silently and I slapped his arm, glaring.

But I couldn't stay mad for long, and he knew it. Soon enough, we were talking as we waited for our orders. When they finally came, the elderly lady gave me a wink and a smile.

After a quick breakfast, Sora restocked our food supplies while Ash planned and Dakota and I packed.

Though Dakota tried to make conversation with me, I paid him no heed. He gave up and sat in sullen silence until Sora walked up. Then he brightened considerably, putting on his mask fo smug confidence.

Averting my eyes, I instead focused on Ash, looking over his shoulder at the map. All the little lines and squiggles made no sense to me, and I told Ash so.

He traced one line up to where the Serpentine's symbol was printed. "We're taking that road to the camp. We still have a while to travel, so we'd better get going."

I nodded and we all walked out, hearing whispers as we exited. News had spread quickly of our abilities.

Dropping a couple of coins at the counter, I grinned at the elderly waitress.

Shifted, I loped after the others, running hard to catch up to them. They'd pulled ahead, but I quickly caught up, keeping in time.

It was dark out, the stars shining brightly in the sky as the moon rose. The dying embers in the fire sparked as I stoked them once more. They threw glowing sparks into the sky and I watched up flicker out, one by one.

I was on night watch tonight. We'd stopped in the middle of the woods this time, and soon I was going to wake Sora for her shift.

I glanced at Ash and grinned at how young and relaxed he looked asleep. When he was awake was a completely different story of course.

Taking a look around from where I was leaning against a tree, I felt something off. Something different. Anxiety bubbled up in me, but I kept a mask of indifference on. Tuning into my wolf senses, I heard nothing.

Relaxing slightly, I regained my earlier position and let it slip.

Until a gloved hand muffled my scream as a black hood was shoved over my head.

Giving another muffled yell, I felt a heavy object smash into my skull. Through the cloth, I saw the ground rush up at a dizzying speed.

Seconds later, I blacked out.

(Side Note: Tada! Here's one of the four drawings I sketched for the request in the last chapter. This one's Dakota, slightly more realistic than when I last drew him. The other three will be posted in the oncoming chapters.)

(Looking back on my art a year later...*shudder*)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37 5 9
#450 in general fiction 01.12.2024 #63 in paranomal romance 01.12.2024 #10 in supernatural romance 01.12.2024 #6 in new fiction 01.12.2024 ...
11.6K 1.2K 48
---Book of the Month 2018 winner in the sci-fi category from awardofthemonth2018--- ---1st place winner in teen fic Writer's Circle Awards by concinn...
111K 4.9K 25
'Book 1 in the Shifter series' My name is Celina Birch and until yesterday me, and my siblings; Sydney and Alexander but Alex for short, thought we w...
55.2K 4.2K 47
Finding out that your parents, the people that raised you your whole life, weren't your actual parents was hard. Being told at the ripe ol' age of e...