Another Nightmare Book 3: Fac...

By RikuPen

Hiccup, Toothless, Fishlegs and rest of the flock finally have a safe place where they can stay together with... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 7

834 44 10
By RikuPen

So as I promised yesterday, I present you with the first of May bonus chapter, book 3 chapter 7.

But first I need to address a small detail. I have published 1st of May bonus at least once or twice before, but from talking to my proofreader, it occurs to me that many readers here might not know it is a special day / don't celebrate it the same way. 

In Finland, the first of May is called vappu and internationally I have also seen labour day and mayday being used. There are some ancient historical origins from spring celebrations, and the labour theme is present with union- and left-wing political groups having marches on vappu usually (makes travelling by tram in Helsinki city centre really hard during the march fyi.)

In modern-day vappu could however be best described as a big carnival with university students having the most visible role. We are also easiest to recognise thanks to special student overalls coloured according to the field of study (actually had a tourist ask about them yesterday). Some might party a week or more and there are many traditions, pranks, vappu magazine, parties, marches, one year students from my uni even built the world's largest public sauna and of course there is the official start of vappu with the hatting of havis Amanda statue (also known as Manta. Other cities have different ceremonies but this is in the capital). During vappu people also wear their white student caps that one gets upon graduating upper secondary school. The hats go on on vappu eve/last of April at 6 pm when the statue gets its hat.

The actual first of May is the biggest picknick day of the year (especially when it isn't snowing, today was good) and if you happen to run a bar, better stock up because you are about to get business.

In case you want to see how I have celebrated in recent years, there is a video on youtube from 2015 called "KY Vappu Aftermovie 2015: Vappu, Mantan Lakitus & Ullis  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBQsaKzFcWo " showing pretty much the main parties and event I've been to in recent years. I even appear on it at at least one point. Not going to tell where.

Here' a picture from today:

.

So that is why this bonus comes out on this day. Now, time to get back to the fanfiction.

proofread by 3DPhantom

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What had he agreed to do? Shield and spear weighed on Hiccup's arms as he climbed uphill through the dark village. The sun wasn't up yet. Even Toothless was yawning, and he was naturally nocturnal. Somehow he still knew to wake Hiccup at the right time. If anything, he should have been tired staying up for days with Hiccup.

'I'm already used to that. You should focus on where you point that thing,' Toothless said, nudging his head towards the spear that had dipped to the side.

'Sorry.' Hiccup adjusted his hold of the long weapon and kept walking. His missing leg was hurting again, despite being dampened by the bond between him and Toothless. 'I should have thought more carefully about how difficult something this long can be to hold. Maybe a shorter one would work better.'

'No. You should train until you can use that. The further away you can keep any attackers the better, but you don't have good teeth in case they get close. You should keep a couple of small blades with you when you aren't on the saddle.'

'I... could consider that if you don't make me throw them into a pond.'

'If you don't get your shield stuck.'

Hiccup got to the top of the village with a smile on his face. Other people were already gathering next to the arena and gave the half-human duo a wide berth.

'Remember to not scare them needlessly,' Hiccup said.

'I'll try. It will be difficult,' Toothless answered. He then turned to look at Hiccup and cooed. 'Are you sure you want to separate for this?' Hiccup didn't immediately answer, too focused on looking at his own feet.

'I guess we should. I have to admit the Chief is right. I've never felt as safe as with you, but if I can't even meet people without that... This whole training is going to be pointless if we don't separate. At least we don't have to do it later.'

'At least we don't get knocked out now after just one day. I can still look after you. If this wasn't for your... wellbeing... Still, some people are going to be anti-dragon and dragon's brother.'

They stopped at the edge of an opening where people were gathering with an assortment of weapons. Hiccup gulped and stopped for a moment.

"It's just like learning on the job," he said to himself. An old warrior stepped closer.

"So you are that kid who hides behind dragons?" This was a great start.

"Yeees," Hiccup said hesitantly and then tried to sound more confident, "but not today."

"Real Vikings only take cover behind their shield, and only until they are able to kill their enemy. The Chief ordered us to train you, but do not expect any special treatment." The man glanced at Hiccup's spear. "You fight with a spear, smart, in your size. Make sure your pet dragon stays here and get in with the beginners." He pointed at a group to the side closest to the arena and turned away. Hiccup faced Toothless. He held onto the shield and spear with one hand to caress the side of the dragon's head.

'It's time.' Hiccup started pulling away tendrils of his thoughts. He tensed, fearful of the snap he knew was coming. Suddenly a piece of himself was ripped away. Hiccup shuddered, gasping for the freezing air. His equipment felt heavier, the pain in his missing leg more severe. Toothless grunted and Hiccup heard him shifting or clawing at the ground, or something. The world was even darker and colder than before. They were still conscious though. Even if Hiccup needed a long moment to calm his breathing.

'This wasn't so hard after one day before we left Berk.' Hiccup had to send the thoughts to Toothless like any other dragon now. It was difficult just to keep them from accidentally entangling again.

'Back then the bond was something we had just done while flying.' Toothless shook his head, probably trying to clear his thoughts after the separation. It was strange not knowing what the dragon felt.

"Kid, we're starting!"

'Have to go,' Hiccup told Toothless. He breathed in deep and talked out loud to himself. "I can do this. They're just people."

He returned the spear to his other hand and dragged himself to the small group of "beginners", many of them were actually close to his age, perhaps a little older. They all spread out, grouped by weapon, and the older warrior demonstrated proper moves that they would then repeat, and repeat, and repeat until the sun was high in the sky and Hiccup's arms hurt worse than his missing leg. Then they had to practice in pairs. The only other spear user was a twenty-something young man. He wasn't especially muscular but towered over Hiccup in height. There went his hopes of reach advantage.

Hiccup had to fight to keep his breath calm as the man first raised his spear, but the first couple of exercise strikes went well. A strike got blocked by his shield, then another. The old warrior shouted instructions on changing Hiccup's hold on the spear and "not playing around." Hiccup's opponent listened and attacked more fiercely. Hiccup, only seeing an armed man coming at him, stumbled back as the other's spear approached. Unable to think anything or attack properly, Hiccup just swung his spear in that general direction. Then something impacted against the top of his shield and whooshed past his head. Something cold touched his cheek and then there was something warm. A loud growl sounded from the side of the training area and rapid steps moved closer to them. Hiccup's opponent jumped back and raised his shield.

"What in the name of Thor is happening there?" The old warrior shouted. Hiccup stared at the approaching man frozen still. A black mass pushed itself between Hiccup and his training partner. The warm scales brushed against Hiccup's arm, jolting him back to the moment. He dropped the spear to place a hand on Toothless' back. Their minds began bonding again without even thinking about it. The old warrior kept shouting at Hiccup.

"Can you keep that beast in line or not?"

'Did THEY forget this was supposed to be training?' Toothless growled under Hiccup's hand, mirroring the warrior before even realizing what the man had said.

'Easy bud,' Hiccup said wordlessly. With the scales under his fingers, he could think more clearly again. He still bit his teeth. This was exactly what wasn't supposed to happen. This was not what he was supposed to do. Actually, it was the opposite.

He felt good though. His fingers flexed, scratching scales between the black ears. Toothless calmed along with Hiccup but kept himself in front of his brother. Hiccup breath in and faced the warrior with dragon supported confidence.

"He is in line." Hiccup brought his finger to his cheek where they were stained in blood. "This isn't training to him."

"You think you can learn to fight without getting a scratch, especially when you are the one who couldn't even keep your shield up? Were you daydreaming or what?"

Even properly bonded Hiccup couldn't' give a good answer to that. The warrior clearly wouldn't care about his personal traumas. The man grunted.

"Send the dragon away and get back to work."

"Not with me. I'm not going to be anywhere near him with that unholy beast anywhere near," the young man said. He backed away, keeping his shield between himself and Toothless. Other trainees looked at them with expressions that told there wouldn't be any volunteers.

"I am not going to deal with this. Lock up your dragon or train alone," the old warrior said.

"I can train with him," a familiar voice said. Hiccup turned around to meet Heather. The girl was holding an axe that was quite large, at least relative to her size, a bit like Astrid's but simpler with only one blade. "Sorry, I'm so late. Had more work than usual."

"That is okay," the old warrior said with a much friendlier and calmer voice than before. "Are you sure you want to train with him? He is just a beginner and you see how that dragon acts."

"Don't worry. I've met it before. Just have to not hurt Hiccup here too much."

The old man shrugged his shoulders.

"Go ahead then, but remember I warned you."

As the man left Toothless relaxed and turned to face Hiccup, who just remembered his wound. He barely had time to close his eyes before a long tongue got pulled across his face. This wasn't a happy friendly lick, but slow and meticulous treatment.

"I could have taken care of that with less mess," Heather said.

"Maybe, but this is better," Hiccup answered. "Do you really want to train with me? I've never really trained for combat. Even my father gave up pretty quickly."

"It's okay. It has been some time since I trained against a spear." She raised the axe. "Are you ready, and separated?"

Hiccup sighed and broke the bond again. It was a tiny bit easier than the previous time. Toothless stepped aside but stayed closer than before. Heather glanced to the side at Toothless, but assumed a ready position. Hiccup's eyes focused on her raised axe, breathed in, breathed out. He raised his shield, not feeling the nervousness and fear of before. Heather had spent the last several weeks treating his wounds. Hiccup didn't agree with everything she said, but she wasn't someone who would try to kill him. Hiccup didn't see the form of a Dragon Hunter preparing to make the strike. He held his spear as he had been taught during the morning. Heather came at him immediately.

For Heather's credit, she really knew what she was doing and could even advise Hiccup when the older warrior focused on other students, which was most of the time. Hiccup realized that the earlier training had been the easy part.

"I didn't realize you are the fighting type," Hiccup said, blocking a practice hit with his shield.

"I am not, but what if I need to defend myself?" Heather said and struck again. "I told you before. In the end, we can only trust ourselves. Good thing you realized that too."

"I still don't agree with you," Hiccup said and sighed. "I just need my confidence back, if I ever had any. I couldn't even train with that other guy. Thank you for your help."

"Don't thank me yet. You'll have to do this for a long time before it does any good."

So, Hiccup did. Every couple of days he would join the training sessions. If Heather got there they would train together. Eventually, some other trainees agreed to train with him when Heather wasn't around, though none of them would train as seriously, spending at least part of their attention on Toothless.

By Odin how long would they need to understand? What did Toothless need to do to teach them he wasn't some beast? Start speaking Norse? Hiccup kicked a pile of snow while walking to the training area. Some people were already putting out Snoggletog ornaments.

'How am I supposed to learn to handle people if they keep focusing on you?'

'That is their problem. I am not going anywhere,' Toothless answered and yawned.

'And whose idea was it to have training this early?' Hiccup complained. 'Whoever it was should have a chat with you.' Toothless gave a draconic smirk as they arrived at the training area. At least Heather had come early like everyone else this time. Hiccup turned towards Toothless.

'We are going to separate now?' Toothless asked.

'Y... no.'

'Why?'

'Because I don't feel like it.'

'That is good enough for me,' Toothless answered. Hiccup tapped him on the head and turned around. The first part of the session was the same tedious exercises repeated time and time again. Hiccup would have much rather hit an actual person. When he got the chance, it was Heather, and she was still too quick, much more skilled despite being no older. Hiccup barely blocked repeated strikes that Heather didn't even seem to put her full effort into. Sheaths for the long knives hanging from his belt got in the way and pressed against his legs annoyingly. Would have to adjust those.

Hiccup tugged on his bond with Toothless more strongly. The dragon didn't have experience in using weapons but his combat instincts were second to none. Two pairs of eyes focused on Heather's every move. They saw her strikes coming before they even started. Suddenly Hiccup completely evaded one and pushed forward, slamming his shield hard at Heather. His spear was too long at this distance, so he grasped at one of his knives, but missed. Hiccup glanced back towards his arm, distracted. By the time he pulled out the small weapon, Heather pushed him. His peg leg slipped. The world spun for a moment and Hiccup found himself on his back, an axe handle against his neck. Toothless growled nearby.

"Let me go," Hiccup demanded coldly as the dragon came closer.

"Hiccup, what is wrong with you?" Heather asked and kept pressing Hiccup down. Her eyes widened as they met Hiccup's. Toothless growled right next to them. The potential intentions of the dragon finally jolted Hiccup to consider his own actions. He blinked.

"Heather I... Toothless." Hiccup raised his hand towards Toothless who met it with his snout. There was no more growling, but Toothless was still tense. Hiccup finally breathed in deep and started calming down. Heather pulled back, removing her weight from Hiccup. The sounds of training around them had ended at some point.

"So what is going on?" Heather asked.

"I... I'm not sure," Hiccup said. He looked at Toothless. 'Are you feeling okay?'

'Yes, just angry that she dared to put you down like that.'

'Toothless I almost... at least I think I was close to stabbing her, before that. I still feel like I should be angry at her.'

"Hiccup!" Heather said sternly. "Did you break that bond like usually?"

"No."

"Do it," Heather commanded. Hiccup was going to protest, but the girl's stare didn't leave room for arguments. Hiccup didn't like it, but she only asked him to do what he was supposed to anyway, why hadn't he done so in the first place? Hiccup started pulling his thoughts back from Toothless, who resisted more than usually. The bond stretched.

'Toothless?' Hiccup asked. The bond finally broke. Hiccup shuddered in the cold air and his pains increased...

And all of his annoyance and outright anger had disappeared, leaving only complete terror at what he, maybe, tried to do to Heather. He gasped for air. Toothless laid down but was still staring at Heather with a low sound coming from his throat.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.8K 544 19
When Stoick chief of the tribe commands Hiccup to kill the monsterouse nightmare Hiccup is left to think of what to do but when the time comes tooth...
335K 11.2K 38
If you thought I was giving up on Hiccup, I wasn't. I will never. We've been through so much. When I get my hands on Merida, I'm not showing her any...
32.3K 661 15
READ REWRITTEN VERSION HERE: https://www.wattpad.com/542650899-goodbye-berk-~-rewritten-goodbye-berk Hiccup is chosen to kill the nightmare. No surpr...
367K 8.1K 25
Hiccup is devastated, he has been chosen to kill the dragon. But he can't, that would be betraying Toothless, not that he would be able to do it anyw...