Fantasy Romance Short Stories

By elisawinther

Short stories of romance, love, and the fantastical. Every once in a while I'll add new stories that combine... More

Tempted

Love Potion

67 3 2
By elisawinther

There was a spark in the air right before she stepped into my store. I was unsure if it were an aura spell or just a bright spirit approaching, but when the bell chimed as the door swung open and in she came, her presence alone mesmerized me into peaceful stillness.

Despite my ample life experience, I knew better than to be surprised by my clients. Though herbalism had grown into a common profession in the last couple of decades, my main recipes were archaic—if not forgotten to the common folk—and my trinkets perceived as ancient artifacts. People knew of my reputation. It tended to attract the eccentric. I just had to figure out what type of eccentric she was.

I glanced over my shoulder from shelving arcane potions behind the counter but tried not to incessantly ogle her. Sleek black hair, casually clothed in short jeans and a sleeveless blouse, with a small purse hung from her shoulder.

"Hi and welcome to The Bottled Wish," I said with a generous smile.

But she didn't answer. I waited for a moment of eye-contact, then repeated myself, out loud while signing.

She offered a curt bow of her head, and the barest of simpers as she glanced my way, then answered my greeting via signing, "Hi." Silver rings and black glyphs adorned her hands, which moved like a subtle dance. Her accent insinuated she was part of the local arcane community.

And that I'd seen her before, now that we actually stood face to face.

The black lining her eyes, the change from the baggy sweaters to the feminine blouse and tight jeans, and the fresh haircut—I was a little ashamed for not recognizing her until now. She'd always been cute, but she looked absolutely gorgeous now. Perhaps dressed for a date.

She meandered out of sight between the rows of cases that divided the store into two.

I put the last vials and bottles in their place, put the box they'd been in by the back door that lead to my tiny laboratory, and moved on to putting the arcane cookbooks and blank grimoires in the bookcase by the window.

Every now and then, I'd peer up, through the openings between the racks and shelves, allowing me glimpses of her. I reminded myself not to stare and instead watched the brick streets winding down the hills outside the window, the dense woods and grassy roiling planes further down the streets, then returned and found her catch my glance.

Perhaps it was just a coincidence, so I brushed it off, distracting myself again with the outside landscape. Aria's peaceful winds breezed through the area, ringing chimes on porches and turning the mill's large colorful sails, but I suddenly found my lungs and heart in a flighty rush when she held my gaze on the third time our eyes met, lingering, almost like a spell.

Her hands trailed the backs of some books, checked out several crystals, and charmed jewellery, then stopped by the commercial potions, energy drinks, digestive boosters, and the like. She'd taken her time until now, but it was clear she'd finally found what she'd come for. Which was funny, since she'd come by almost every day since she first found my store.

Something was up, but I let her do her thing. I finished shelving the books and returned to the counter, overly conscious of the hesitant footfall coming my way.

I turned around and offered her another bright smile. "How can I help you?"

She bit her lip and kept shifting her weight from one leg to the other. So much tension. Poor thing. "I-I'm looking for a potion," she signed, slowly, as if she were questioning her own answer.

"If it's not on the shelf, I don't have it."

She gave me a forced smile before casting down her gaze. Gods, whatever could she be looking for? There wasn't a mainstream potion I didn't have.

I sighed. "What are you looking for."

From the look on her face when she glanced back up at me, there was no way this was going to be some simple potion for some simple problem-solving. Her fawn skin had warmed beyond their rosy color to a bright red and there was a slight tremble to her lips.

"A love potion?"

Haha, funny. "Those don't work. It's a modern myth."

"But..." She shoved her hand into her back pocket and pulled out a crumpled paper. "I have a recipe..." She fumbled with it for a moment then pushed it towards me on the counter.

I picked up the paper and glanced over the ingredients. Nothing special. All I'd need would be right in the store, but it'd be a waste of time. I'd tried making love potions before, first because I was naïve, then just curious as I tried my own recipes, then because clients begged me to. No one ever listened, always desperate to be loved.

"Why do you think you even need this?" I asked, fanning the paper in the air.

"Well," she took several deep breaths, flapping her hands from the wrists as she sought for an explanation. "I don't really know how else to approach them, and I just don't, I don't want them to not know... I mean." She held her breath in her puffy cheeks, then groaned as she let it all out. "I-"

"I'll do it." Suddenly I went all soft and warm inside. I felt foolish, but cute, flustered and helpless girls were my one true weakness.

"What?" Her brows shot up.

"I'll do it," I repeated. Though, why she'd possibly need a potion to make anyone fall in love with her was beyond me.

She practically bounced with joy, grinning like she'd won the lottery. "Thank you so much!"

"Pleasure's all mine," I signed, then went around the store, grabbing everything I needed before placing it all on the counter. A burner, some glasses, a flask, some glass sticks to stir the mixture, and an hour later I was done.

We shared some small talk as I worked. Though shy at first, she opened up quite easily. We joked and laughed non-stop. Apparently, she was a last-year student at the college. A history student. Likes dancing, movie nights with horror movies which were too horrible to be scary, and a total cat person. Couldn't stop talking about their "beans" while she showed me clips and pictures of cats in all sorts of weird situations.

"There, all done."

She pocketed her phone and stared at the flask as I corked it. "How much will it cost?"

I handed her the flask and grinned, my chin propped up on my palm as I leaned on the counter. "Oh, it's the highest price," I said.

Her eyes widened.

"It's cost is true love's kiss." I'd grown a little too comfortable around her, making a bold joke like that, but I just couldn't help myself. Not knowing how to fix whatever awkwardness I'd caused, I winked.

And made things so much worse.

She'd gone really quiet for a few seconds, then broke out giggling.

"I-I could-" She'd gone all bright red again. "That price wouldn't be a problem."

Now it was my turn to be surprised. "Wha-"

She leaned in, looked me straight in the eye, and when I didn't move away, kissed me full on the lips. Soft, warm, and minty. She lingered, entrancing me, and that spark returned. The one I felt right before she stepped in.

Finally, but way too soon, she pulled back, leaving me as flustered as she'd been. My mouth fell open again, but I didn't know what to say. It was supposed to be a joke. I'd never expected her to actually...

"Thank you." She grinned and took the potion, with my hand caught between hers and the flask. "Can I uhm, get your number?" she signed with her free hand. She wet her lips, then bit her lower lip as she averted her gaze. "You know, in case I uhm... need help with the potions effects?"

"Sure," I signed. I swear I sounded drunk.

She offered me a pen and I wrote my number on the back of the crumpled paper.

"Thanks!" she signed. Her hand stroked mine as she let them slip away, took the paper with my number and left for the front door.

I gawped at her. What just happened?!

The bell rang as she opened the door.

"Wait, your potion!"

She glanced over her shoulder, still beaming. "Already used it. It works. Thanks!" she winked so overdramatically I knew she did it on purpose, teasing me for doing it earlier, and walked out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
9.9M 499K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
371K 23.1K 20
𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐱 𝐑𝐮𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐤𝐬𝐡 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 ~By 𝐊𝐚𝐣𝐮ꨄ︎...
43.7M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...