The Mystique

By mashimellowjam

《Currently being edited》 They say that the eyes is the window to one's soul. This has always rang true for K... More

Capitulum Nulla
Capitulum Unus
Capitulum Duo
Capitulum Quattor
Capitulum Quinque
Capitulum Sechs
Capitulum Septem
Capitulum Otto

Capitulum Tres

350 29 15
By mashimellowjam

He is asleep. Exhaustion has finally settled in his body. He snored lightly as his body sank in the couch he had specially ordered to be his resting chair. With a worn-out red quilt on his lap, he let his body lulled by the rocking of the couch. Unlike the cold scenery of winter outside his window, the room, his private space was warmed by the tamed fire of bright yellow in his little fireplace.

It was obvious that sleep did not come easy for him. The signs of his mental battle obvious from the half-finished book lying silently atop of the quilt in his lap and the empty cup of coffee on the small table beside him.

He is an author, well-known, and highly respected. His recent masterpiece made its way to the silver screen with high-profiled casts to play the characters he created. He had recently finished and successfully delivered the manuscript for the last book of his latest franchise.

Disturbing the comfy silence of the room, two boys entered the space silently careful as to not cause noise to wake their guardian. They waddled with their little bodies to reach the large blue sofa. As soon as they settled in the comforts of the couch, small orbs of lights in different colors popped into existence and started to gather at the little ones.

"Zwei, tell the little pests not to bother the sleeping monster" one of the boys reprimanded the other. The little boy stared at his replica, his twin, with a frown. A large dog suddenly appeared by his side, a hound of eyes so red and fur so black that folklore repeats its name in horror.

Legends would have referred to the sight as surreal, faeries of the opposing court coexisting with each other. An impossibility like how the night and day happens at the same time.

The younger of the twins pouted, not liking the way his brother spoke to him, but followed his instructions. "You should say please if you're requesting something. It's basic manners, Eine"

"Quit being a goody-two-shoes, stupid" the eldest replied snappily. Zwei sighed and ordered the pixies to dim their lights. He needn't speak - he was their lord. His wishes were always their priorities.

It was slightly eerie how the younger of the twins had his eyes glowing against the dark, his eyes like that of a cat -- heterochromatic. His left was colored a fiery amber while his right was glittering jade.

Eine shifted his position on the couch and allowed the hound to seat on his lap curling like a cat. But, the hound's body was inconveniently bigger so he ordered it to change its size. His eyes stared at the creature on his lap reflecting the same eyes his twin had. Except, his eyes were bright green on the left and glittering amber on the right.

Without them knowing, the author woke up with the commotion. He secretly observed the twins in amusement, a small smile on his face.

The pixies who extinguished their light encircled the previously slumbering author and giggled as they called his name, "Mihael, Mihael, good morning"

The little faeries of mischief were taught to greet by their lord. A basic manner. The boys stared at their master, their eldest brother, before pouting at each other.

Eine glared at his brother and blamed, "Your pipsqueaks are too noisy. Obviously, he'd wake up"

"It was your heavyweight creaking the floors that woke him up, piggy" Zwei replied with a huff.

"Stupid" Eine grimaced as he continued to bicker with his brother. Mihael stood up from his seat and pried the twins apart since they were obviously baring their fangs against each other.

"Enough, both of you" The author sighed and carried both of them in his arms. He returned to his seat and placed the twins in his lap. Eine was still frowning as he stared at the yellow fire flickering with embers while Zwei shifted his position to cuddle with his master.

The eldest of the pair asked, "No clues where the seer is?"

"No, the men we hired and everyone in their organization vanished" Mihael replied, his deep brown eyes narrowing as he speaks. He had wanted the eyes that see everything. The eyes of diamond that reads fate's book. And when he had found it, it had mysteriously disappeared.

"The work of a mystique, then" Zwei concluded earning a soft hum from his master.

"A powerful one. Or a team" Zwei continuously deducted closing his eyes comfortably as his masted patted his head. The men that his master hired were professionals and the organization they belong to was renowned in the black market. One of the strongest in their game.

"There are only a few individuals that can erase a hunter association at a single night" Mihael rocked the chair as he started thinking. His hands still patting Zwei's head of auburn.

"The devas" Eine replied, his eyes partly closing as he answered. He was the lord of the Unseelie Court, of the malicious, of the night, and of the loyal. He had not forgotten his grudge -- Choi Hyunsuk and Choi Anastascia. "The abominable siblings"

"I don't think the Chois are behind it this time. The way it was executed --" Mihael blinked, letting the fire reflect in his eyes. A swirl of darkness and hatred glinted in his orbs as it glowed. A cold metal gray pool of sardonyx stared at the fire silently. "Eine, can you let your little ones find it out for us?"

"Already on it"

"I can help too. The little brownies are good at sniffing around" Zwei eyed his master with a sweet smile. Mihael replied with the same warm smile and shook his head.

"Eine should suffice this time" the author patted the younger of the twins by his back to soothe him. "I'll be counting on your help soon"

"Okay!" Zwei beamed making the pixies giggle in delight. Their lord was happy so they would be. They were the Seelie court, the kindred, the day, and the grudgeful.

"Gross goody two shoes" The older twin mumbled as he rolled his eye in the scene. Zwei glared at his twin brother challenging and stuck his tongue out. "Bitter old coot"

"We are the same age, idiot. If you call me old, so are you!"

"I've been born a few faerie seconds later than you and in human terms, that's a few centuries later. Still old"

"Oh shut up, you overgrown baby" Eine snapped back hissing, he was getting grumpier by the second.

"Okay, okay, stop bickering, you two" Mihael sighed as he pried the twins apart again.

‥ ‥ ‥

Junkyu shifted on his seat restlessly as he waited nervously for the leader of the mystique clan that holds the greatest influence in Korea to arrive. He had scanned the room thrice already and had memorized every single detail of the room. Unlike him, Haruto and Yoshi were relaxedly sipping their iced teas and enjoying their snacks as they waited with him. Ciel had assigned them to be his escort to assure him that everything is gonna be alright - something that he was really thankful to the tamer for.

He slightly jolted as he heard the door open. He felt parched from both anticipation and fear. He was new to all of this and it was only last night that he was introduced to a world completely different from what everyone knows. He has no idea how to act or what to expect and that is killing him currently.

As soon as the figure they were waiting for almost an hour stepped inside the room, he was shocked. His eyes were round in surprise and his mouth was wide open. He was familiar with the man who entered the room. No, not familiar, he was close to that man. He had seen him so many times before that he can recognize him just by scent alone. Junkyu shook lightly as he confirmed, "Gon-hyung?"

Haruto and Yoshi stared at Junkyu with brows raised as if asking him a question. Noticing the questioning look of his escort, Junkyu had explained, "Byounggon-hyung is my brother's best friend."

And, that was true. They had met each other oftentimes but had not really grown emotionally close to each other. Although, he had known that the other was kind and extremely smart. Looking convinced, the Japanese men nodded at the answer. Both stood up from their seats and stared at the leader of the largest mystique clan of Korea before offering a smile to Junkyu.

Haruto tossed what appears to be a bracelet towards the seer and declared "We'd now leave since we are sure you're in safe hands. But, if you want to visit us, just use that."

In a blink of an eye, Haruto pulled Yoshi into a portal and disappeared from the room. Junkyu stared at the bracelet in his hand. A simple bracelet of black strings and small silverish white beryl in it. It kinda reminds him of Haruto's eyes.

"I would suggest keeping that safe with you at all times albeit away from public eyes, Kyu." Junkyu stared at Byounggon curiously whose focus was on the bracelet he was holding while wearing a grave expression on his face. He murmured, "To think that they'd show goodwill, would that be good or bad?"

Byounggon cleared his throat and offered his usual friendly-smile to ease his guest into relaxing. Seeing that the seer was still standing, he offered, "Take a seat, Kyu. No need to be so formal."

The seer nodded and took his seat as he wore the bracelet Haruto had tossed in his wrist. As soon as he sat down, he remembered the small box in his pocket that Ciel had tasked him to deliver. He hastily retrieved it and gave it to the smiling man before him, "Ciel told me to give you this."

Byounggon stared at the silver box in a slight surprise before he received it. As soon as he touched the small box, it disintegrates into silver powder in the air forming a letter. Junkyu eyes grew in surprise once again at the floating letters in the air.

Byounggon smiled at the reaction and explained, "They are called silver fireflies, an extremely rare mystique insect that the tamer raises. Junkyu nodded. He had seen Ciel's greenhouse last night and it was filled with plants and animals that he had never seen before. Haruto had explained to him that her room space was specially altered to cater to the beasts she commands and raises.

Junkyu and Byounggon stared at the message in the air. It wrote, Power unstable, mystique beast needed. The majesties have temporarily masked his energy but protection is still needed.

As soon as they finished reading, the words disappeared into thin air and so were the silver fireflies. Byounggon's expression turned grim as he contemplated the content of the message. He sighed as he decided to dwell on it later.

"How was your night, Kyu?"

"Traumatic. I have never been so close to death before. Luckily, Mashi and Mei arrived before I was captured by the hunters"

Byounggon was slightly surprised by the answer. He had not expected that Junkyu would have a full understanding of what happened last night and of his current situation. Junkyu watched the other's expression and could almost read what he was thinking. He had been protected, that he now clearly knew. He had been so close to this world before but until last night, he never knew of it. And, there was a reason for that. He asked, "Does my brother know?"

"He does. And, he did everything to keep you safe from both this world and those that want what your eyes possess."

The reply made Junkyu feel complex. He was mad for being kept in the dark, thankful for the extent that his brother would go to keep him safe, sad that he was untrusted by his brother, and angry at how he was so weak. "Is he also a mystique?"

Byounggon shook his head at the answer, "He is not. He is currently one of the non-mystiques who work in the organization. He helps with the logistics in exchange for some protection wards to keep you safe."

Junkyu can remember the strange paper wards that his brother routinely changes every month. He had always thought that his brother was scammed by a spiritual quack. He should have known better.

"I have informed him of what happened. He should arrive soon and you can have your talk with him later. You should have seen how he shouted at our research team last night calling the head researcher a quack as the protection wards in your room had malfunctioned. It was a sight to behold."

Junkyu blushed at the chuckling tone of the older. He knew how overprotective his brother could get when it comes to his safety. Byounggon shook his head lightly as he watched the embarrassed seer in front of him, "It was quite lucky that the Fenrir noticed you and the hunter's presence during her walks with the primo else I would be subjected to your brother's wrath instead."

"Enough of that depressing topic. I am curious how you earned the goodwill of that team in a single night, Kyu, considering how they are famous for being extremely closed off to non-members."

"The Japanese team? They are a bunch of good and hospitable people though?"

Byounggon smiled stiffly, "Good and hospitable, huh. It appears that they like you to a certain extent that you were able to describe them as such. Or, it could be because you do not view them like the way we do."

"Is there something wrong with them?"

"Nothing is wrong with them, Kyu. It is just that the team that you spent the night with is the team who rules over the whole of this society."

"Eh?"

"The Butterflies of the mist, the harbingers of death - the Shinigamis of Japan, the world's strongest mystique clan."

Junkyu blinked slowly as if absorbing the information that his brother's friend had told him one by one. His eyes grew wide and he shakily covered his mouth with his hands. That means that he had eaten, played video games, and spent the night chatting with the members of the strongest mystique clan in the world. "I did not know. They were just kindly introducing me to this side of the world."

"That is why I said that they took a liking to you. And, I really do not know if that is a good thing or not. Anyways, the choice would be all yours."

"Choice?"

Before Byounggon could answer, the door burst open catching the attention of the men inside the room. A frantic-looking and panting Seunghun dashed inside the room and immediately hugged his younger brother before checking him for any signs of injuries. He sighed deeply noticing that not a single hair was touched.

"H-hyung" Junkyu squirmed from the tight embrace that was almost choking him. Seunghun noticed that his brother was becoming unable to breathe due to the strength in his hug and detached himself.

"It is good that you are okay. It is really good that you are okay. I would not know what to do if you suddenly disappeared. Don't worry, I will find another place to keep you safe."

"I am afraid that it would not be that easy this time, Hunnie" Byounggon cuts off earning a glare from his friend. Seunghun was adamant in not letting Junkyu be part of the mystique world and he knew exactly why. It was also because he knew that he had turned a blind eye towards the diamond-eyed seer for all these years. "They know now. You, of all people, should know how powerful and enticing the eyes of your brothers are. It is out of my control this time, Hunnie."

"Even so!" Byounggon shook his head and said, "The leader of the shinigamis and the primo had temporarily masked his energy but once that wears off his location would be revealed. He needs to control his ability to protect himself, Hunnie. You know that, too."

"But, that doesn't mean he needs to be part of this world. He can train to control his powers without joining any damned clans."

"I am afraid that would not also work. His abilities are far more unstable than we initially thought. The shinigami, the ones that saved him, recommends for him to have a contract a mystique beast. You would never be able to do that without a clan, Hunnie"

"That is-" Seunghun bit his lips. He hated being so powerless that he is unable to protect his only brother from the cruelties of those cursed with the gems. Junkyu can hardly keep up with the conversation but he knew that his brother has been forced to a corner due to his weakness. He shivered as he remembered Mashiho's words before he left, Don't let others decide for you.

For the first time in his life, Junkyu wanted to take control of his own fate and not rely on what others decided for him. He stared at his brother and took a deep breath. He had little knowledge of whatever danger diving into this world would mean and he might one day regret being part of this side of the world. However, he knew that should that day come he would still be proud that he had the courage to take hold of his own fate - his own life.

"Seunghun-hyung, let me learn becoming a mystique." Seunghun and Byounggon stared at the seer whose eyes gleamed with the light of determination. His body shivering lightly as he reasoned, "I am new to all of these and I do not know the depths of the danger that I am about to enter. But, I saw death last night. It was in the form of hopelessness when the men were about to reach through that crevice of where I was hiding. I don't want to experience that powerless desperation anymore. That feeling of accepting death as the only outcome, no, I don't want to experience it again. So, please, hyung, help me become strong."

Seunghun let the tears fall from his eyes before he gently closed them. He knew that there was no way to separate Junkyu from the world mystique anymore and he knew that what his brother had said was perfectly reasonable. Yet, he still can't accept it. He had watched his friends, his colleagues, and those that he had rescued lost the battle in this bloody society. Only a few, that seats at the top, were able to find a way to settle and live peacefully through it all. He does not wish for his brother's lifetime to be full of battle and danger. But, he knew that with Junkyu's abilities and his jeweled eyes, he would never be able to live a normal life.

Seunghun stared at Byounggon and asked, "Is he gonna be part of your cradle?"

"Everything depends on him, Hunnie. You know that." Byounggon stared at Junkyu and sighed. "Before anything else, welcome to the world of mystiques, Junkyu. It would a tough ride from here on out but do your best"

Junkyu nodded at the words and Byounggon smiled. Seunghun took a seat next to his brother and sighed. Byounggon's eyes became serious as he stated, "I would have to introduce you to the other mystique clans but as a leader of my own clan, I would have to introduce our clan. We are the Dinosaur's cradle the largest clan in Korea. We currently host about a thousand mystiques and occupy the fourth and eighth seats of the elven council that oversees the mystique society."

"The elven council is like the world government for the mystique society. There are 11 seats in total. The lower the number of the seat the higher the voting rights are. The team that saved you last night holds the first and second seats, the third seat is from a team from China, and the rest are from Western countries." Seunghun explained which Junkyu nodded. He had already been explained this yesterday. Ciel had detailed that the reason why the Western powers were able to hold only the lower seats was due to the Witch Hunts in their history. Unlike the Eastern culture which revered and feared the mystical beings, the Western culture had ostracized and condemned them as evil. This has caused the mystique societies of these countries to develop slower as mystiques were forced to hide their abilities. This would also mean that compared to the Eastern society, the Western society developed a higher level of technique in sealing, masking, hiding, and controlling their abilities.

"It seems that you are already aware of the elven council, huh." Byounggon smiled making Junkyu nod as he answered, "Ciel had explained them last night."

"To think that you'd befriend the Butterfly of the mist immediately" Byounggon muttered under his breath, leaning forward and let his legs support his arms. "In that case, I should start with the mystique rankings."

"Mystique rankings?"

Seunghun frowned at the question. He dreaded the time he would see Junkyu's gem on that board. That would officially announce his existence in the mystique world. Look, a man with diamond eyes is now available. Both hunters and the mystique clans would know of his existence, and, attention from them is never a good thing.

Byounggon procured a small white orb that glows softly. He handed the orb towards the seer who took it cautiously. It was a beautiful orb that is almost transparent except for the silverish gray hue that it glows with. The ball was cool to touch and looks extremely expensive. Without warning, Junkyu felt the power in his eyes accumulating. He remembered Doyoung's advice last night when his powers were unstably fluctuating, Do not fight to stop your abilities, gently read its flow and control it. It is an energy you are born with. You dominate it. It is not the other way around.

Seunghun watched his brother nervously, he knew how painful it is for his brother to use his abilities. However, unlike the previous times, Junkyu looked peaceful as his eyes glowed and transformed into that pure breathless diamond as he stared blankly into space probably reading the lines written in fate's book.

There was silence before the seer uttered the prophecy, a vision of what is to come, "They of the fae, kin of the world, sprites playful and sprites vile shall have their courts united under the banner of he who wishes to conquer fate. Eyes that peers through everything shall be the prize for he who wins the war that seals the fate of the children that held Yggdrasil's treasure in their eyes. He who rules over life and death against he who challenges the truth of the world. Prepare for it has already begun with this prophecy."

Byounggon noted the words that Junkyu had chanted. The prediction of an oracle. The visions of the future. Junkyu huffed as soon as his consciousness took over. He had forgotten what he had chanted, he looked at the ball that showed a number. XI. The Eleventh.

Byounggon and Seunghun stared at each other as they had heard the oracle for a war that is about to begin. Cold sweat ran down their back as they both realize the scale of the prophecy they heard. The third mystique war is about to begin. Junkyu exhaled loudly as he regained full control of his consciousness and the words he spoke earlier escaped his memory. He stared at the orb in his hand and found letters inside it. XI. The roman numerals for the number eleven.

Seunghun and Byounggon also stared at the orb and both grimaced. The Eleventh ranked. Although that has not placed him on the board, it was high enough to trail just a bit behind. This means one thing. Seunghun clenched his fist as he determined himself to learn more methods to protect his brother who has now officially declared himself to be the strongest of the seer.

"Things have become explicitly interesting." a voice disturbed them making Junkyu jolt in surprise. Keita stood behind Junkyu with Haruto next to him and both were sporting a very carefree look.

"Hello again, Junkyu-hyung~"Haruto greeted with a chuckle. He explained, "It seems like the explanations were all done as your gem has been entered to the board already so we came here under Noa-niisama's instructions and as representatives of the mist."

Keita observed the glaring man seated next to Junkyu with a curious smile before he delivered, "The mists extends its invitation to the seer who holds the eyes of diamonds. If one feels fated, the butterflies shall clear a path in the mist and welcome you as one of us."

"Please take your time deciding, Junkyu-hyung." Haruto chuckled, then, stared at the older brother of the seer and also declared, "Should Junkyu-hyung decided to be a member of us, then, Seunghun-ssi shall also have access to our library. We will not impose any restrictions against your visit to your brother whatsoever."

"Aren't you guys generous this time?" Byounggon kept his usual smiling face as he asked in doubt.

Keita replied with the same amiable smile and replied, "The last Fenrir took a liking to him. She had been pleading with her master for this. She also had prepared for a beast for him."

"The Fenrir indeed have good taste."

"Yes, she does." Keita chuckled as he turned to the portal that opened behind him. "Well, we came here for that announcement only. We shall wait for the response soon."

Haruto watched Keita disappear into the portal and took one last look towards Byounggon and stated, "The prophecy, we leave to you how to handle." He followed after the older Japanese after he delivered the last message of their leader.

As soon as the portal closes, Byounggon sighed and massaged his temple that is beginning to ache. "The impact of your entrance to the society is way too big. Whatever shall we do."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 226 12
In a world where pieces of puzzles are created when you find your soulmate. Tw: this book contains swear words, mental illnesses and s*icide. Read wi...
76.6K 3.9K 53
[COMPLETED] "Will someone love me even if this is not the real me?" "Even if you're not Jihyun, I'll still love you." Waking up with faded memories...
35.3K 2K 24
A YGTB AU series. He is Takata Mashiho, a japanese who was had migrated to Korea, a man known to be perfect. No flaws, no weakness, that is how he i...