The Billionaire's Assistant t...

By ShafiraSardar

He would have never hired her. One glance at that woman and you could just tell she was trouble. Scarlett Arc... More

Temptress
Miss Scarlett Archer
His Ego
Goddess of Teasing
A Friendly Kiss
A Quiet Night In
Coffee Made With Love
Lovely Dinner
The Argument
Hot Chocolate
Scarlett's Needs
Michael's Skills
Plans for Christmas
The Ex-Boyfriend
Christmas Party
Christmas Dinner
Cuddles and Pancakes
Noah The Hero
Scarlett's Confession
Drinks with Michael
Tiny Human
Snarky Scarlett
Proper Adults
Noah's Demands
Emma's Breakdown
Shady Restaurants and Proposals
Two Peas in a Pod
Sweet and Gentle
Connecting
Difficult Conversations
Violet Starr
The Wedding
Noah's Footsteps
Distracting Scarlett
A Big Family
Company Plans
Scarlett's Thoughts
Epilogue

Turning the Tables

8.5K 446 16
By ShafiraSardar

After work Lucian gave Scarlett a ride home, she tried to convince him to stay the night. When he mentioned he needed to pay his parents a visit she didn't push him anymore. He knew she wasn't someone to back off easily but meeting his parents now that they were officially a couple might make her feel uncomfortable.

It worked out for him since he needed to speak to his parents without Scarlett present. The conversation would go a lot smoother that way.

He was greeted by his mother at the door, she hugged him a little tighter than usual. That scared him a little but he kept his poker face on and followed her into the living room. His father wasn't seated in his usual chair.

"Dad's not around?"

His mother beamed at him, "Your father is preparing dinner tonight."

That scared him even more.

"Will it be edible?"

He gasped when he felt a smack against the head. It didn't hurt, but it did make him stare at his father who sat down in his usual chair.

"Of course it's edible." His father told him looking ready to pick a fight with him.

"There isn't much you can do wrong when making pasta." His mother muttered.

Now, who was picking a fight? He kept quiet while his parents were staring at each other. He was waiting for the bomb to drop, but it never happened. The way they looked at each other actually made him roll his eyes.

He didn't want to witness that.

"Did the test results come in yet?" His mother asked.

The playfulness faded and the tension slowly started to build. He sat straight, fixed his jacket and shirt and made sure to look her in the eyes.

"We'll receive the results by the end of the week, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm sure that this is my child."

Emma sighed, shaking her head at him, "I don't understand why you're so calm about this but at the same time I understand since there is nothing you can do about it." She leaned back in her seat, looking defeated, "I suppose she signed the contract?"

"She did."

"Well, that's something." She wanted to get up, he could see that she was done with this conversation already, but he wasn't.

"There is actually something else I wanted to discuss with you."

"Sure, go ahead." His mother gestured, "Wait, do I need another drink for this?"

He chuckled, "Well, I think it's great news but you might not agree so you might want a drink."

She shared a look with James, it was awkward at how close his parents were right now. He tried to ignore that, clearing his throat and continuing on with the subject so they could have dinner and leave all the awkwardness behind.

"I proposed to Scarlett." I started, testing the waters. His mother didn't look like she'd pass out so he continued, "She accepted, but it wasn't a big romantic gesture and I think she deserves that."

His mother sighed, "She's not Kim, but then again she's staying with you despite you having a child with another woman so she might be a saint." His mother was reluctantly accepting Scarlett which was something, "Guess, I won't be needing that drink."

"Mom." He chuckled, "You have no idea how much you remind me of Scarlett at times. It's creepy but at the same time it makes perfect sense that you two clash at times."

James threw him a warning look, mouthing not to go there.

His mother surprised them by not commenting at all. She tried to keep her words to herself, but her eyes gave her away. She was annoyed with his comment. The twitch in her jaw and the way she clenched her fist just said it all.

"You want to make a big romantic gesture?" His father questioned, trying to move on.

It was always his father who tried to keep the peace, it must be tiring. His mother's anger had simmered a lot when it came to Scarlett though. He had a feeling that this whole issue with Dawn helped her get over her anger and support Scarlett.

He wouldn't tell Scarlett his mother compared her to Kim, that would just cause a little tension between women who were now getting along. It was good that Scarlett and Kim were friends because he loved paying his brother a visit.

"I have a plan I just need your help."

His mother frowned, "Our help?"

He watched his father place his hand on his mother's, giving her the support she apparently needed. They'd laugh at this years from now, he was sure of it.

"I want to take her to the beach house next weekend."

His mother had a knowing look in her eyes. She knew what he was thinking, it was great that she caught on so quick.

"They always so you're the cold-hearted one and Noah is the kind and charming one but they don't see what we're seeing."

It was true that Noah was actually quite harsh when it came to business. Only soft around the edges for his girls. He could respect that though.

"We can arrange for the beach house to be ready." His father told him, "If you need anything else just let us know."

He knew he could count on his family, that wasn't the issue. All he needed was the location, he'd arrange everything else. It needed to be done by him, only then it would feel genuine. He knew Scarlett couldn't care less, she already accepted his heat of the moment proposal.

He'd blow her away with this over the top proposal though.

She did deserve that.

"How about we move this to the dining room?" His father asked, "Dinner is getting cold."

"Let's see if it's edible, shall we?" His mother walked off before James could respond.

He gave his father a pat against the back, "I feel for you." He whispered, "I totally get how you feel right now. Just go with it."

He followed his mother into the dining room and let her fill up his plate. He had to admit that it did smell good. It was plain pasta with a simple tomato sauce and cheese on top. He could appreciate the meatballs his father served with it. Spicy and going well with the dish.

It wasn't just edible, it was delicious.

***

By the end of the week, he met up with Dawn, Scarlett by his side. He made sure she tagged along, they all had to get comfortable around each other if they were going to make this work. Scarlett didn't hesitate to tag along but she did look a little less like her usual confident self. She silently sat beside him as Dawn handed him the papers which would determine their future.

Dawn didn't look anxious, she looked calm. He knew what the results were just looking at her face but this was for his family to put their mind at ease too. He scanned through the document and smiled, handing the papers to Scarlett.

She wordlessly took it and scanned through it as well.

"Thanks for doing this." He told Dawn.

She flashed him a small smile, "I would have done it if you just asked."

He knew she was referring to the contract which more or less forced her to take the test. It wasn't him and he hoped she knew that. He didn't want her to hate him, for the sake of their child they needed to make things work.

"I know."

Scarlett lowered the papers and smiled at her, "I hear the sundaes here are amazing." She changed the subject drastically which made him lower his gaze to hide his amusement while Dawn just stared at Scarlett in awe.

"W-What?"

Scarlett carried on, "Yeah, like the best sundae you'll ever have. I'll go with the salted caramel one, that sounds pretty good to me." She then glanced at him, "What do you want?" She asked, "I'm not sharing mine so you better get your own." She grabbed the menu and flipped through it quickly, finding what she was looking for within a split second, "This strawberry sundae seems to be up your alley."

"Yeah?" He reached for the menu which she handed him, "What about dinner with Kim and Noah?"

"We're still having dinner with them, obviously." Scarlett brushed him off, "There is also a chocolate version if you prefer that." Scarlett told Dawn who still had this confused look in her eyes.

It took people a while to get used to Scarlett.

"The chocolate sundae does sound good." Dawn relented as well.

Dawn knew better than to brush Scarlett off, it would be a task in itself to even try. Smiling, he placed his hand on her knee and gave it a squeeze. Grateful that Scarlett made this whole thing less awkward between them all.

"Who is going to support you during labor?" Scarlett asked after they all had a few bites of their sundaes. She could be best friends with Noah, knowing just when to strike, "Lucy-" Lucian." She corrected herself smiling sheepishly at her mistake, "Told me that you're not that close with your family. If you have no one to help you through that I'm sure Lucian could be there for you."

She shrugged when he met her gaze, "It's your child."

"I'd be okay with that." Dawn agreed, "Scarlett is right, it's your child. You do have a right to be there." Dawn met Scarlett's gaze, looking a little uncomfortable with the subject, "Are you okay with that?"

"Yeah, it's fine."

Scarlett was so confident about that answer because he knew just like him she was also confident about their relationship. Soon, he'd make her his wife.

They shared a smile and then finished their sundae. He offered to drop Dawn home, but she refused, taking a cab home instead. Them parting ways this time was a lot less tense and nerve-wracking and it was all thanks to Scarlett.

Speaking of tense and nerve-wracking encounters, now they had to face Noah. He knew his brother would give him a hard time.

But in the end he was grateful for it, Noah only did that because he cared.

***

"I'm sorry Scarlett, but it's my turn to cuddle with the baby." Lucian told his pouting girlfriend, "You kept her all to yourself last time, I don't want Rose to forget who I am."

Scarlett glared at him, "As if she could." She muttered, "Lily and Olivia are crazy about their uncle Lucy. I'm sure Rose will feel the same way." She glanced at the little girl who kept staring up at them in awe. Lily probably hadn't seen them tease each other like that before. It was intriguing to her, "You like your uncle Lucy, right?" She asked.

Lily nodded, "Yes." She said without even thinking it through. He laughed at her little determined face, finding it cute as hell, "Liv says you're going to marry uncle, Lucy." Lily tone almost sounded accusing which made him bite his lower lip to make sure he wouldn't laugh at the stunned looking Scarlett, "So you like him too?"

Scarlett didn't know how to answer that. He'd let her stew on that while he checked on Kim in the kitchen. The woman was always the perfect host. They couldn't help but be drawn to her, wanting to help her.

"Kimmi." He called as he entered the kitchen.

"Uncle Lucy." She grinned at him, "Ah, you demanded your time with Rose."

He carried Rose in his arms, holding his hand against her back and gently rubbing it up and down while she rested her head against his shoulder. She seemed content like that, not moving much. At times making little whining noises.

"I have a right to cuddle with my niece."

"Scarlett is very fond of her." Kim placed the tray she grabbed out of the oven with an oven mitt on the counter and let the cookies she baked cool down. The kitchen smelled nice and inviting. He could understand why the girls loved to spend time with their mother in the kitchen, baking, and cooking together. Noah tried too, but he knew it was different.

"I need your help with something."

She flashed him a knowing look, "Oh, is this about the proposal?"

"Kind of." He kissed Rose's head when she moved in his arms and looked up, smiling at her mother and clapping her little hands together in excitement, "I need to buy her a ring."

"And you want the size to be perfect." She chuckled, "Always wanting to do things perfect. It must be frustrating to be you, Lucy." She held up her wooden spoon which she was probably going to use to stir the soup which had been simmering, "Leave it to me, I'll text it to you."

He didn't doubt Kim could pull this off, it's why he turned to her.

A few minutes later they sat at the dining room together, this becoming quite a habit. His brother used to nag at him that he didn't pay them enough visits through the year. He was sure that soon enough his brother would ask of him to stay away.

Noah met his gaze, narrowing his eyes at him. It was like his brother could hear his thoughts. The little shake of his head made him think that Noah actually did hear his thoughts.

Kim distracted not only his brother but everyone else at the table as she held her hand up, showing off her engagement and wedding ring, "I need to get these cleaned."

Noah grabbed her hand and glanced at the rings, "I'll get them done for you."

Kim beamed at him, "Thanks, honey." She then flickered her eyes at Scarlett who had been quietly eating her dinner, "Did Lucy buy you a ring?" She asked.

She knew he hadn't but he was sure that this was Kim's way of getting information out of Scarlett.

"No, not yet," Scarlett answered, looking a bit unsure about it all.

She probably thought this would stir up the peaceful moment between them. This was what he asked for though so he wouldn't interfere. The little smile which played on Noah's lips told him that his brother knew what was going on as well.

"Daddy bought Mom a really beautiful ring." Lily said in her childlike innocence, unknowingly helping her mother, "It sparkles!"

"Uncle Lucy you need to buy Scarlett a sparkly ring too." Noah played along, "You can only get married if she's wearing a ring like that."

Lucian tried hard not to roll his eyes at his brother, he definitely stirred things up while Kim was casually asking about engagement rings.

His brother could be such an ass some times.

"I don't need a ring." Scarlett shrugged.

Kim brushed Scarlett off with a wave of her hand, "If you don't want a flashy diamond ring there is always the option for something smaller, more subtle." She took off her ring and held it out to Scarlett, "Try it, it can't hurt, right?"

Scarlett didn't dare to refuse Kim, he could tell by looking at her face. Reaching for the ring Kim offered her, Scarlett tried it. The ring had a little wiggle room which meant that she needed a size smaller than that.

"How does that feel?" Kim asked, "It's not the right size but I bet one size smaller is what you need."

"It's pretty," Scarlett admitted.

Lily pointed her finger at him, "Now you need to get Scarlett a ring too." She more or less ordered him.

He nodded in agreement, "I will, sweetheart. Promise."

"No breaking your promise." She warned him.

Scarlett returned Kim's ring, keeping to herself as she tried to hide her flustered face by lowering her gaze and eating her dinner. He noticed though and so did everyone else at the table. She wasn't getting out of it.

For the rest of the night, she had to deal with Noah and the girls teasing her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

419K 17K 68
"It's always been you, Phoenix. You are the one who makes me the happiest. Just being in the same room as you gives me god damn butterflies. Hearing...
149K 6.4K 25
Parker Haynes life was planned perfectly. Well mostly. He had his business, he invested his money wisely, he was punctual, calm, cool and collected...
360K 3.6K 31
***Scarlett's life has never been perfect, in fact from good its gone to bad , the person she has ever loved no longer exists , and her family doubt...
50 0 21
It all started when one of sapphire's best business man, Joseph McArdly, went bankrupted and offered for his daughter's hand in marriage which he gla...