Our Last Resort

By leenaJking

"This wasn't supposed to happen." "Of course it was," Luna says "if it wasn't supposed to happen Dumbledore... More

2|| starting over

1|| casualties of war

63 2 1
By leenaJking

This was it. This is what they planned for.

The only thing was: if this is what they planned for, then why weren't they prepared? They knew it was coming. They knew they had a chance as long as they had Harry Potter. But they didn't plan what they would do if they didn't have him.

Hermione couldn't believe it. This was her best friend, her brother. It didn't seem real. She looked at Ginny who was now shaking with sobs. It took her a few seconds to realize the tears running down her own cheeks. She loved him, not in the way Ginny did of course, but a powerful way. He was her family, just like she was his.

Neville was saying something now. She saw his mouth moving but she couldn't hear what he was saying. She wasn't paying attention until she saw the glare that The Sword Of Gryffindor gave off. This was a true act of bravery.

The moment Neville did that Harry rolled out of Hagrid's arms sending a curse at Nagini, the last horcrux. It rebounded into a group of Death Eaters.

Hermione let out a laugh of relief and watched as Ginny grinned. Only Harry can defeat death,not once, but twice. She could barely see the nod he sent her as he disappeared into the ruins of their home. Smiling to herself, she joined the fight that had just broke out.

Curses, hexes, and jinx's were being thrown everywhere. One occasionally hitting Hermione as she threw her own. It wasn't until she started dueling Bellatrix and Dolohov that she moved from the courtyard into the ruins. Backing into the deserted hallways of Hogwarts, Hermione sent very few offensive spells towards the duo, having to play defensive with the amount of Unforgivables being thrown at her.

Bellatrix's psycho laughing wasn't helping Hermione focus at all. After only a few minutes she found herself unarmed and on the floor.

"Looky here," Bellatrix taunts "The Mudblood is all alone. I say we make this hurt."

Dolohov nods his head as if to agree.

Hermione had always tried to be brave. (She was best friends with Harry Potter after all.) Not only that, but she was supposed to be a Gryffindor. But at that moment she had to admit to herself that she was scared- no- she was terrified. She had endured The Cruciatus Curse by the crazy woman in front of her and really didn't want it to happen again. Thankfully Hermione was never truly alone.

"Get away from her!" She knew the voice belonged to a certain ill tempered Weasley. Bellatrix and Dolohov turned to face the girl giving Hermione the chance to grab her wand from a few feet away from her and run to the red heads side.

"Awww how sweet....and pathetic." Bellatrix taunts firing hexes.

"Ginny! We need to find Luna!" Hermione yelled at her. Ginny nodded her head and sent a 'Reducto' at Dolohov the same time Hermione aimed her wand at Bellatrix and yelled "Stupefy!" She grabbed the Weasley's hand and started toward the courtyard once again.

"She's dressed different than everyone else and I mean—she's very hard to miss." Ginny says.

Hermione nodded and they raced through the crowd. Hermione only stopped when she heard someone shout "NEVILLE!" from behind her. Ginny spun around the same time Hermione did. Standing fighting a Death Eater they saw Neville. They also saw someone else sneaking up behind him. "Go Ginny! Find Luna! I'll meet you in in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom!" Hermione yelled, not waiting for a response and immediately sending a nonverbal spell to whoever was trying to sneak up on Neville.

Ginny didn't need to be told twice, she took off racing through the halls looking for the platinum blonde girl—occasionally sending a jinx or two in the direction of anyone who needed it.

Hermione fought by Neville's side until both Death Eaters were down. She gave Neville a small smile and a nod before going to leave. "Wait Hermione!"

She turned to face the scarred boy who was frowning. "Luna told me that Dumbledore asked you guys to do something for him. And I know you don't know exactly what you're going to do yet but I just wanted to say bye. If you guys have to go somewhere or if- well- you know."

Hermione felt terrible. "Neville nothing is going to happen to us or to you. But it might be a while until we see you. Or we can see you in a few minutes. You're so much braver than you think Nev. The school would have fallen without you. I'll see you again. I promise." She let a tear fall down her cheek. Sure, Neville had never been the smartest. But when you got to know him he was a really great kid. Hermione was always teaching him things about muggles and he was always helping her out in Herbology. They would spend some nights talking in the Common Room and he even came to visit her in the Library bringing along any meal she had missed. He had even confined in her about his crush on Luna.

He smiled at her and open his arms. He jerked his head as if to say "come here." So she did. She held onto him for as long as she could before she pulled away. "Be careful, Nev. Try not to do anything too crazy until I get back."

"How can I when you're taking all the crazy with you?"

"You still have Harry. Crazy follows him everywhere."

"Good Luck Mia."

"Good Luck Nev."

Hermione took off after that afraid she would let to many tears fall. Ginny and Luna were hopefully waiting for her by now. All she had to do was get through the halls without seeing anyone she would have to say goodbye to.

Too bad luck wasn't exactly her thing.

"Hermione!"

She froze in her tracks. Of all people.

She turned to face the disheveled raven haired boy that stood there. "Be careful." He said softly, a knowing look gracing his face. She smiled and gave a nod. Hermione thought about how this might be the last time she ever saw him. She turned back around only to be greeted by the boy's retreating figure, back facing her. "Harry!" she called as he turned to her just in time to catch her in his arms.

"I'll see you soon." He whispered. She nodded and let go. Watching him walk away and into battle. She copied him and ran off in the opposite direction to Myrtle's Bathroom. As she approached she noticed Ginny and Luna walking into the doors both had tears running down there face as well. She could only hope it was for the same reason she did. Walking into the doors they disappeared through. She was about to say something until everything went white.

••••••

"Albus I must insist that you let the poor girls get some rest before you talk to them!" Hermione knew she recognized that voice, but it was the name it had said that concerned her.

"Is no one going to explain what the hell just happened?" This voice seemed young compared the the first voice she heard when she woke up. Though the previous voice had obviously belonged to Madam Pomfrey, if her memory served her right, the second voice belonged to a boy, or a young adult. As sappy as it sounds, it was sweet on the ears and somehow, for a reason she would later find out, it sounded awfully familiar.

"Please Mister Black-" An old voice started.

"Sirius."

"Sirius," He corrected. "I promise you three will be informed after they explain to us."

'Sirius?' She thought. 'What the hell is going on?' Deciding she had had enough, she groaned. She felt all the stares on her and wished she hadn't known there was at least five people in the room at the moment. She opened her eyes and blinked rapidly, trying to get used to the bright lights of the familiar room. How did she get to the hospital wing? How is there a hospital wing? Last she checked it was blown up by Dolohov just before Harry left for the forbidden forest. That's half the reason people were being treated in the Great Hall.

When her eyes were almost fully in focus she could make out the silhouette of- "Madam Pomfrey?" She chose to ignore the questioning glares, "What happened? What's going on?" Hermione looked to the next face only to find herself at a loss for words.

"Professor Dumbledore? How-?"

"All in good time Miss..."

"Sorry?"

"Your name, dear."

"You mean you don't know?"

"Should I?"

Upon hearing this Hermione tried to take in her surroundings. As if sensing what she wanted to do, Dumbledore held out his arm and pushed the surrounding people away from her bed. The room she had been in way too many times then she had preferred, looked pretty much the same but different at the same time. They were at war. In this school. So why didn't the atmosphere feel like that? To the bed on her left lay a red head who looked like she desperately needed a shower. Ash and dirt covered her clothes and her face. As much as she hated to see Ginny like this she had to admit, she looked pretty badass. To the bed on her right there was a platinum blonde girl whose hair was matted with... blood? She hadn't realized it before. The cuts that covered both girls and the pained expression on Ginny's face. She would say the same about Luna but even the war couldn't change the dreamy expression and smile that graced Luna's face. "Unbelievable..." She muttered.

"Do you remember what happened?" Dumbledore asked.

"I do. The thing is I'm not quite sure what's going on right now."

"You are in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. These three students found you and your two friends on the second floor."

Hermione looked at the three boys for a moment before it snapped in her head. The one closest to her had black hair and beautiful grey eyes. Grey eyes she could recognize from anywhere. Next to the first boy stood a sandy brown haired boy with green eyes. He looked so familiar he just couldn't place it. That was until she saw the claw marks across the side of his face. The last boy looked exactly like Harry– the only difference was his eyes. Instead of green eyes Harry had, the boy had hazel eyes. This definitely wasn't Harry.

Hermione was not one to ignore the obvious. She stuck to the facts. And according to the facts, this was impossible.

"I can see you're trying to understand what is happening as of right now. If you're wondering I have the latest Daily Prophet if you would like to read up on these past days events. Jog your memory."

"I would really appreciate that."

Dumbledore nodded and took the Daily Prophet of the night stand that was next to Hermione hospital bed. 'Please be 1998. Please be 1998.'

September 6th, 1976

"No, no, no."

"Is everything alright?"

Hermione looked up into the eyes of her old headmaster. Her dead headmaster. She took a deep breath. Isn't this what she wanted? Her family and her friends weren't dead. Then again, they weren't even born but...she could work with it. She had a chance to save everyone she had lost. She could make sure Harry got to be a kid.

"My name is Hermione Granger." She said. "You wouldn't happen to have any room from three extra students this year would you?"

A/N: Ok so I finally did this and I'm so so sorry it took so long. Please tell me any suggestions, any critiques and what you all think! And I hope you enjoyed my little Marvel reference there.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 20.1K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
81.7K 1.9K 33
!Uploads daily! Max starts his first year at college. Everything goes well for him and his friends PJ and Bobby until he meets Bradley Uppercrust the...
190K 19K 24
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...
80.4K 3.6K 20
Grosvenor Square, 1813 Dearest reader, the time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Feathe...