Black || Jace Wayland [1]

By MixTapeRecord

Asher Montgomery is the daughter of two legacies. Lilith Penrose, her mother, could conjure up the most power... More

disclaimer
cast
| 01. arrogance will get you killed
| 02. unexpected visit
| 03. invisible angel
| 04. old beginnings
| 06. not just one
| 07. so hot
| 08. jocelyn fairchild
| 09. destiny
| 10. 'little girl'
| 11. city of bones
| 12. the silent brothers
| 13. valentine morgenstern
| 14. just for a moment
| 15. monster hunting
| 16. mary mulligan
| 17. hotel dumort
| 18. never the one
| 19. do your own homework
|20. just talking
|21. inner peace
| 22. dress up
| 23. the rave
| 24. the lair
| 25. white hot rage
| 26. hustle
| 27. how to summon a demon
| 28. unconditional
| 29. could've tried harder
| 30. personal bodyguard
| 31. one and the same

| 05. in my blood

3.3K 82 4
By MixTapeRecord

"An identity would seem to be arrived at by the way in which the person faces and uses his experience."

******

"MAKE SURE TO grip the blade higher up if you're going to turn that way."

Hodge Starkweather quickly adjusted Asher's grip before stepping back and beckoning for her to continue. The female shadowhunter slowly re-enacted her fighting move. She crouched down into a combat-ready stance, the small blade aligned with her arm. Asher then swung her back leg around before launching the blade forward. It sunk deep into the target with perfect aim.

"Wow." Hodge chuckled. "If I didn't know better, I would've called that a lucky first shot." "I've been practicing blade throwing for years." Asher walked over to the target. "I've never been very good at it."

"That bullseye says otherwise."

Asher roller her eyes and pulled the dagger out of the target. Although the Iratze was working and there was no more demon poison in her blood stream, the Shadowhunter still had a large gash in her shoulder that would take about a day to heal, so she was stuck inside.

She spent most of her time in the training room perfecting her fighting technique. Isabelle and Alec weren't exactly okay with her moving around whilst still injured, but Asher promised them that she would be careful and take things slow. Hodge agreed to make sure she didn't push herself too much.

"You say that now." Asher moved back into her fighting position. "If I do it quickly, the thing goes haywire." She repeated her move at a quicker pace, but hissed in pain just as she was about to throw the dagger. Hodge chuckled. "I told you to take it slow."

"Shadowhunters don't have time to take it slow." The brunette mocked his tone. She straightened up to check her wound. Hodge walked over to take the blade. "I think you've done enough training for now. Go to the library. I'm sure you'll find something there to do." Asher groaned, but complied with his request as she exited the training area.

Walking around the Institute, Asher thought that it would feel like home. Instead, it made her feel so isolated. Everywhere she approached, Shadowhunters would stop what they were doing to watch her walk by. She shouldn't feel surprised considering this happened everywhere she went to do a mission. Asher could see everyone from the corner of her eyes and their blank stares. It made her quicken her pace to the library: at least there she could be free from the curious glances.

As the brunette stepped foot into the library, the familiar waft of aging paper filled her nose. Not a lot of Shadowhunters usually hung out there, especially during missions. Most people who spent time in the library were either the younger children to learn or the occasional visitors who needed to look something up for their mission.

The Shadowhunter library stood far from ordinary. Overflowing with ancient tomes on Downworlders, runes, and the history of the Nephilim race, it occupied a significant space within the relatively small Institute, thanks to special enchantments woven into the room.

Asher walked by the bench where her mother used to read her books about her family. She gently glided her finger across the dark wood, noticing a small bronze plaque that wasn't there before. Her breath hitched when she realized it said In Memory of Lilith and Mason Montgomery.

Asher didn't realize that tears welled up in her eyes until one of them fell onto her cheek. She quickly wiped it away before walking to a secluded part of the library in hopes that no one noticed what happened. She ran her fingers along the old books until she came across a familiar maroon leather-bounded novel titled Shadowhunter Families. Asher slipped it from the shelf and sat down on the carpeted floor.

She opened it up to her mother's maiden name: Penrose. The page was worn and slightly discolored due to the age that came with the name. Asher read this over many times, but never ceased to stop. "Penrose." She repeated. "Known for their love for writing and ability to ink the most powerful and potent results from the runes. Many descendants pursue careers as scholars and Silent Brothers."

Asher stared at her mother's family crest: two simple roses twisted together. She remembered the image inked onto her mother's skin. Her father never liked the tattoo, deeming it as 'too mundane' but her mother always had a fascination with the human world.

The sounds of footsteps caused Asher to quickly snap shut the book and raise her head. Isabelle chuckled as she looked down at her. "I can always find you here." She looked around, crinkling her nose. "I never understood why you liked this place." Asher looked down at the book in her lap. "It's in my blood, apparently."

Isabelle gave her a sympathetic smile. She reached out both of her hands. "C'mon. Let's go unpack your room." Asher sighed before letting her friend heave her up from the floor. She placed the book delicately back on the shelf and followed the black-haired Shadowhunter out of the library.

Asher walked beside Isabelle down the hall, occasionally glancing at the other Shadowhunters that stared her way. "Not gonna lie, doing this a long time you think I would be used to all the stares." The brunette blew out a puff of air and turned to her childhood friend. Isabelle seemed to be basking in the attention. "I don't see why you wouldn't be." "It's just weird." Asher shrugged. "Being an eighteen-year-old Shadowhunter and influencing people that are older and have more experience than you."

"You earned your spot." Isabelle told her, nudging her lightly. "You've worked and trained harder than anyone here." Asher nodded, pretending to believe her words. She was very passionate at her job, which made her the go-to person to get things done. However, all the attention she received isn't something she thought she would have to deal with.

"You know," Isabelle changed the subject. "Jace lied when he though you were a guy. He totally knew who you were." "Oh really?" Asher laughed in disbelief. Isabelle stopped her and stood in front of her. "I'm serious. He had a huge crush on you." The brunette widened her eyes. There was no way what she said was real. 

Isabelle nodded, still able to read Asher's mind without trying. "Yup. He trained really hard so that one day, he could ask you out on a date." Asher couldn't help the smile that appeared on her lips.

They were stopped when Jace walked up to them. "Found her in the library?" He questioned, his seemingly permanent smirk ever so evident. "I'm surprised. Didn't take you for nerd as well as a Shadowhunter that steals someone else's mission." All the warm feelings Asher felt quickly dissipated as she scoffed. "Sorry, not all of us want to grow up to be a meathead like you."

"Well this meathead apparently knows when to stay out of a demon's way."

"I did what I had to do." The brunette felt herself getting riled up. She knew that this was the reaction that Jace was trying to get out of her, but she couldn't help but succumb to his tactics. Jace chuckled, watching her. "Yeah, to get yourself killed."

Asher narrowed her eyes and slowly walked forward until she was right in front of him. Although he was taller, her glare had any Shadowhunter shrinking under it. "I saved a mundane." She reminded him. "A mundane that you let into a fight and that you let run away." The blonde Shadowhunter's smirk transitioned to a tight-lipped line.

"Don't you turn this around on me, Wayland." Asher growled. "I wouldn't have been in that position if it wasn't for your idiocy." By now, others stopped to watch the interaction between two of the best Shadowhunters in Idris. Asher moved to walk pass Jace, purposely bumping his shoulder on the way.

When the brunette disappeared from view, Jace turned to Isabelle. The younger Lightwood had her arms crossed. "She's not wrong, you know." Jace rolled his eyes and walked away in frustration.

He didn't know where he was going, seeing as he had all of this pent up aggravation and the training room was currently occupied. He could possibly train in his room. Jace took up the idea and turned down a hallway to make it to the dormitory area of the Institute.

Jace's eyes mindlessly wandered around his surroundings as he passed the infirmary, his mind not registering what he saw until a few seconds after. The blond Shadowhunter stopped his movements, furrowing his eyebrows before retracing his footsteps. He turned his head to look into the infirmary.

Asher sat quietly by one of the beds, back facing the entrance. Her arms shook ever so slightly due to the fact that they were resting against her bouncing leg. She stared down at the redhead laying unconscious.

Jace watched her curiously as she brushed a strand of hair delicately out of the girl's face. This was a strange interaction for him, considering no Shadowhunter he knew would give a mundane the time of day. He watched her sit up, tense, and he quickly slid behind the wall beside him.

Asher turned over her shoulder, but the entrance to the infirmary remained empty. She could have sworn she felt eyes on her. The brunette lingered her eyes there for a second longer before turning back around.

Jace was already rounding the corner to prevent himself being seen. He ran his fingers through his gelled hair as his mind wandered to Asher. He still felt frustrated, but now he felt something else as well. Jace didn't know what was going on; the confusion coursing threw him only fueled the fire of his vexation.

The Shadowhunter quickened his pace to his room, hoping to finally release this beast through some well-needed exercise. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 73K 187
The greatest Shadowhunter of his generation is what they say about the legendary Jace Wayland. But, what you don't know, is that they also say the sa...
504 2 4
Nyssa pure angel warrior trained by League of Assassins her father step Ra's al Ghul and her mother Céline Montclaire. her mother kept her away from...
35.1K 884 25
Hi! I took over this story from the user @traaassshhh because they will soon be deleting the original story. The story may change a bit because I onl...
151K 3.3K 34
Clary Fairchild was to be protected by Mayla Stonehart. Years of hiding her true identity made Mayla live in fear every day and look over her shoulde...