Lifemates and Kindred Spirits...

By DontYouWantToKnow

[COMPLETED] I do not own any of these characters. All rights go to Lucy Maud Montegomery Based on Anne of Gre... More

Introduction
After Thoughts
Morning Surprises
Afternoon Comes
Evening Winds
Old Times Sake Part 1
Old Times Sake Part 2
Love is a Strong Word
Over The Hill
The Plan
The Changes Within
The One Who Got Away
Josie's Apology
Destiny Determined
Arrangements
The Concert Part 1

The Concert Part 2

424 24 9
By DontYouWantToKnow

I will soon make both the parts into one chapter. I missed writing :P

All rights go to L.M Montgomery for the passage from Anne of Green Gables in the middle.

Anyways, enjoy <3.

Third Person POV

Gilbert reached the hall a few minutes before the girls. While he was driving, he had another vision of Anne and himself, with four children this time. Little did he know he had a similar vision to Anne, like their minds are somehow connected. However, that was for another time to discuss when they were older and wiser, and when they will be together.

For now though, Anne and Gilbert focused on enjoying the concert, except both had a different criteria. Gilbert's goal was to make sure Anne enjoys the concert with him, and Anne's was to just generally have a good time with her kindred spirits.

So when Anne saw Gilbert in the distance, she could not quite believe it. It was already hard to get tickets, let alone Gilbert Blythe being there! She started to panic, she had to act like she hated him, because they were enemies. Right?

Only a few moments later it came rushing back to her that she and Gilbert had become friends, and she had classified him as a kindred spirit. They were good friends now. Anne didn't have to worry about hating him, because that was a tough job for all of those years to handle. 

What came to mind (which happened to be associated with Gilbert) was a sweet memory of one of the best nights of her life, which happened to be in the very same hall as she is about to enter very shortly...

Diana's cousins, the Murrays from Newbridge, came; they all crowded into the big pung sleigh, among straw and furry robes. Anne reveled in the drive to the hall, slipping along over the satin-smooth roads with the snow crisping under the runners. There was a magnificent sunset, and the snowy hills and deep-blue water of the St. Lawrence Gulf seemed to rim in the splendor like a huge bowl of pearl and sapphire brimmed with wine and fire. Tinkles of sleigh bells and distant laughter, that seemed like the mirth of wood elves, came from every quarter.

"Oh, Diana," breathed Anne, squeezing Diana's mittened hand under the fur robe, "isn't it all like a beautiful dream? Do I really look the same as usual? I feel so different that it seems to me it must show in my looks."

"You look awfully nice," said Diana, who having just received a compliment from one of her cousins, felt that she ought to pass it on. "You've got the loveliest color."

The program that night was a series of "thrills" for at least one listener in the audience, and, as Anne assured Diana, every succeeding thrill was thrillier than the last. When Prissy Andrews, "climbed the slimy ladder, dark without one ray of light," Anne shivered in luxurious sympathy; when the choir sang "Far Above the Gentle Daisies" Anne gazed at the ceiling as if it were frescoed with angels; when Sam Sloane proceeded to explain and illustrate "How Sockery Set a Hen" Anne laughed until people sitting near her laughed too, more out of sympathy with her than with amusement at a selection that was rather threadbare even in Avonlea; and when Mr. Phillips gave Mark Antony's oration over the dead body of Caesar in the most heart-stirring tones—looking at Prissy Andrews at the end of every sentence—Anne felt that she could rise and mutiny on the spot if but one Roman citizen led the way.

Only one number on the program failed to interest her. When Gilbert Blythe recited "Bingen on the Rhine" Anne picked up Rhoda Murray's library book and read it until he had finished, when she sat rigidly stiff and motionless while Diana clapped her hands until they tingled.

That was certainly a night to remember. She would have given anything to go back to that wonderful night again. Anne also remembered that Diana told her afterwards that when Gilbert recited the line 'There's another, not a sister', he was looking directly at her. Of course, Anne being Anne, she was furious at Diana. But thinking about it now, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all. He only wanted her friendship at that time, right?

Tonight, Anne vowed to be kinder to Gilbert, as they had become friends. She would not do what she had done for the six years' prior; ignore him. They were friends now, so she had to treat him like a friend. 

'All I have to do is act like a friend towards him,' thought Anne. 'How difficult could that be?'

So when Gilbert would eventually come up to her, she would treat him like she was expecting him to be here in the first place, and would enjoy the concert as planned. Even if Gilbert was with her.

Gilbert meanwhile was comprehending what to say to her. Unlike Anne, he understood these visions, and it could possibly mean that he loved her enough to even have a vision of them together when they are older.

He was freaked out. He had already determined that she was the love of his life however, he could not say the same conclusion cast upon Anne just yet. He had to stick to the plan. To not scare her away.

'All I have to do is act like a friend towards her,' thought Gilbert. 'How hard could that be?'

Little did they both know none of their plans were going to work that night. It may become something more than they expected...

*****

The three other young ladies clambered out of the buggy a few moments later after Anne. Gilbert saw this, but he was still having a war in his head whether or not to approach the girls yet. Diana's threat came back to him, but he decided to put at the back of his mind. He would regret that decision later though.

With a big gulp, he approached the four, overexcited friends.

"Good evening ladies," he said with his playful grin at his lips, his eyes only on Anne. 

He didn't realise before how pretty she looked in the green dress of hers. It suited her hair and eyes, those serious grey eyes he could get lost into for hours. And that hair, he imagined playing with it. How beautiful she looked with the moonlight kissing her delicate, pearly white skin. He snapped out of his trance, remembering what his plan was. She only sees you as a friend Gilbert! he thought. That managed to do wonders as he managed to pull away from his gaze at Anne. 

"Why hello there Gilbert! I didn't expect to see you here!" Anne replied. She noticed he was averting his gaze between her and the other girls, holding his gaze a little longer towards her. She blushed lightly at this.

"Well I managed to pull a few strings, so that I get a seat. I heard it's supposed to be an interesting program tonight I hear." Gilbert only thought in his mind though that the only point of interest for him was Anne. But he kept that to himself. 

"Yes indeed! I heard there is someone from Nova Scotia reciting 'I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud' by William Wordsworth! Oh I can't wait for that!" Anne replied rather excitedly.

The duo went ahead and started chatting away while the other three young ladies were trailing them, giving each other knowing looks and and giggling softly.

They all reached just in time to take their seats. Like the other three planned in advanced, they took their seats as far away from Anne and Gilbert as possible (since they were still conversing), yet near enough to see what is going on.

Meanwhile, the two friends were oblivious to the girls' absence, and they continued to chat away about famous poets, each engaging passionately into the conversation. When the concert was about to start, Anne only then noticed the girls' absence. She did not want to be of disturbance to the show, so she accepted that she would have to sit next to Gilbert. He was delighted at this: he would get to spend more time with Anne.

Much like her first concert here, Anne found everything more thrilling than the next. She loved everything, and nothing failed to interest her this time (unlike the last). They had some overseas people, as well as local people. There were a few familiar faces, such as Pearl Clay, who was to sing a solo. Milton Clark who was to play violin and last but not least, Mrs Evans, the professional elocutionist, who Anne had the honour of meeting after she recited at the White Sands Hotel.

Anne had a wonderful time that night, all the recitations and musical items were beyond thrilling for her. She also had a gay time with Gilbert, with him remarking everyone's performance. She certainly had a good laugh with him by her side.

The concert finally finished: it was eleven o'clock in the evening. The moon had snuggly resided to the pitch-back sky by now, and everything was in perspective with the light of the moon shining at its brightest. 

Anne and Gilbert conversed a little more, mostly remarks about the concert.

"Gilbert it was the most thrilling night I have ever had! I wish more nights can be like this, lit up by the moon. It seems ever tranquil, doesn't it Gil?

"Gil? Since when do you call me Gil?" He asked in a surprised yet charming tone.

"It just sort of slipped out. I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I am glad you enjoyed it," Gilbert took a step closer to Anne, reaching his hand out for the loose strand of auburn. He managed successfully to tuck it behind her ear while whispering "carrots."

And for the first time, Anne enjoyed being called that. Never in a million years would anyone imagine this day she thought.

She was very wrong. She didn't know what lay ahead of her.

——————————————————————————————

I'm backkkk. But this was the last chapter :(.

I hope you enjoyed, I wrote this with great difficulty.

For everyone who read this and commented and voted, I would like to thank you for sticking with me till the very end. I love you all from the bottom of my heart, thank you for choosing to read this.

Anyways, please don't forget to comment and vote! Thank you <3.

And byeeeeee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

353K 12.9K 41
in which a fiery red-headed girl and a charming hazel-eyed boy are madly, head over heels in love but have no idea yet. .。.:*☆ modern shirbert au c...
41.1K 1.1K 84
Gilbert Blythe was back in Avonlea and with him was bringing all the adventures he had experienced in the last few months. Now he wanted toget back...
34.7K 1K 62
Anne Shirley-Cuthbert had finally settled into her life at Green Gables when tragedy struck. For maybe the first time in her life, Anne has to accept...
89.2K 2.2K 36
TO THE WONDER - ANNE WITH AN E IT'S HARD TO HEAR, THE DISTANT VOICE. IT WOULD RING SO CLEAR IF WE COULD ONLY TUNE OUT THE NOISE| Arabella Hastings, t...