Bye Gymnastics, Hello Boardin...

By silverandblacklining

Savannah Greene has to deal with life out of gymnastics. She is forced to retire and sent away to a boarding... More

Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 (Final)

Chapter 1

11K 219 45
By silverandblacklining

Clean slate, new beginning, fresh start, give it all the synonyms you want, it’s still a change; a change from my life that I had deemed perfect. I didn’t want to move, let alone to a boarding school, in bloody Johnston. Where is that? I didn’t know either. Apparently it’s near Pennsylvania... Or was it Massachusetts? I didn’t know, and honestly, I didn’t really care.

            I let out a dreadful sigh as I reached Johnston Boarding Academy. I lugged my stuff into the front office. A petite lady sat behind the counter.

            I approached her and said, “Hi, my name’s Savannah Greene. I’m a new student.”

            She smiled, “Let me just get your folder and call your roommate.”

            I nodded with the most saccharine sweet smile plastered on my face.

            “Alright, Savannah this is Rayna, your new roommate.”

            I stared at the short and slim girl. She looked like a model straight out from New York or something, except she was short. She wore a casual colour blocking dress and nude heels. She looked pleasant, not the bitch I was expecting, thank goodness.

            “Thanks Mrs Gibson, I’ve got it from here,” Rayna winked.

            We both exchanged friendly small talk as she helped me with my stuff to my dorm. Oh, I guess it’s our dorm now.

            “So, where’d you transfer from?” she asked.

            “Actually, I’m new at this.”

            “What? Boarding school? It’s like normal school but just you stay with me,” she shrugged.

            “No, school period,” I said with a dead-serious tone.

            “You’ve never been to school?” She asked puzzled.

            I shook my head, “It’s a long story.”

            “I hope you’re up for an introduction dinner tonight with my friends. You can tell us then,” she smiled.

            “Uh, it’s okay. I think I’ll just stick to myself and not get in your way,” I grumbled.

            “No way, come on! I’ve been roommate-less for so long,” she whined.

            I rolled my eyes but I was smiling inside. She just had that... personality that I knew I could be friends with. She reminded me of...

            “So you’re coming tonight. I know you’re going to love my friends!” She cut off my train of thought.

            I sighed and smiled wearily. I was so tired, but I guess socializing would help. Rayna flitted through the campus as if it were her own fairyland. She’s been without a roommate for so long, I’m sure she’s excited. I just don’t think I can be the roommate she wants or needs.

            She dragged me through the crowd, occasionally stopping and introducing me to people I’ve already forgotten their face and names. Finally, we reached the dorms.

            She opened the door and revealed a quaint room. The entire room had a very calming theme to it; walls painted lilac and mint green. The room was mirrored to be exactly the same with furniture, except for the fact one side was cluttered and the other was empty.

            “Welcome to your new home, Savannah,” Rayna said with a dorkish grin. I smiled and slowly tried to digest it all. Rayna was definitely creative; her walls were decorated in a very classic and chic way. Photographs were plastered everywhere. Her side of the room looked so... Tumblr. That was the only way I knew how to describe it. It looked right off either Tumblr or WeHeartIt.com.

            “Your room is so chic,” I smiled.

            “If you like it, I could replica some of it onto your side. Thank god you’re not goth,” she expressed her relief. I laughed.

            I unpacked my stuff. The dorm wasn’t all that bad. We each got our own walk-in-closet which I thought was unnecessary and excessive, but Rayna claims it’s just the bare minimum.

            “Come on, I can’t wait until dinner. Why didn’t you go to school before this?” Rayna pestered.

            “My life really isn’t that interesting,” I insisted warily.

            She picked up the hint and dropped it. She took out a huge glossy box and smiled devilishly, “We’re going to do your nails.”

            “Uh, no thanks,” I stared at my nails. They were bitten, my cuticles were horribly taken care of and safe to say they were a pathetic excuse for a girl.

            “Come on!” She whined, “No story time, so nails!”

            Reluctantly, I sat on my study chair and rolled over to her table.

            “So... I thought of maybe just a simple colour for tonight?”

            I sighed, “Rayna, I really don’t even want to do this.”

            She grabbed my right hand and gasped, “Oh. My. Gosh, your nails are horrible!”

            I shrugged, “Never really bothered I guess.”

            “Start bothering. I’ll fix you up. This is going to take awhile,” she grinned as she blasted some classic Paramore on her iPhone dock.

            “So no time for nail polish huh?” I grinned.

            She rolled her eyes, “Not this weekend then. You’re no fun.”

            I smiled. Maybe boarding school wasn’t that horrible after all. Maybe school wasn’t so bad after all. My left fist clenched at the thought of school and my mother. I tossed aside the negativity. It wasn’t something I could change anyway.

            “We’re going to the restaurant on campus. What’re you going to wear?” Rayna yelled from her closet.

            “Uh, I’m lazy to do laundry. I’ll just wear what I’m wearing, I guess,” I replied as I arranged my books onto my bookshelf.

            “At least wear a dress. Come on, this is your first social event!” She exclaimed.

            “Actually, I had my share of socialising in my old life,” I said.

            “First school social event,” she corrected herself.

            I groaned, “I don’t think I have anything up to your standards.”

            “Come on, we’re around the same size. I’ll let you borrow my stuff for now. We’ll go shopping next weekend,” she tugged my hand and dragged me into her closet.

            I swear her closet looked like it was fresh off some magazine or catalogue. The shoes looked like they hurt tremendously. She pranced around her closet, throwing me dresses and accessories to try on.

            “Come on! Quick!” She whined.

            I grumbled and slipped on whatever she tossed me.

            She made me spin 360 degrees before sighing, “It’ll do. Put these shoes on.” She handed me a pair of sharp stilettos. They looked deadly—like it could be used as a weapon.

            “Uh, can I just wear sneakers?”

            “Are you not comfortable in heels?” She gave me the ‘you-can’t-be-serious’ look.

            I shrugged. She exhaled sharply, “At least wear these wedges.”

            They looked... sturdier and less painful. I slipped them on and Rayna ambushed me with a ton of makeup.

            “Hold still!” She scolded. I abided and let her draw on my face. When she was finally done, I stood up and looked in the mirror. Who was this girl? She looked like me, features wise, but a much more feminine and polished version of me.

            “Thanks,” I mumbled with a half smile.

            She winked. I continued unpacking when there was a knock on our door.

            “I’ll get it!” Rayna sang as she swung the door open.

            Two girls stood at our door. Rayna threw her arms over them and hugged them.

            “Guys, this is Savannah, my new roommate!” She squealed.

            “Hi, I’m Mia,” the brunette said.

            I shook her hand.

            “Alexa,” the blonde said curtly.  

            I smiled and shook her hand too, even though she seemed a little cold.

            “Shall we?” Rayna gestured to the door.

            We walked to the restaurant. “So, is it like a normal restaurant?” I asked.

“It’s just a restaurant for students to dine at during the weekends. After all, we aren’t allowed off campus.”

When we reached there, Mia and Alexa slid into a booth with two guys.

            “Sup guys, this is Savannah, my new roommate,” Rayna said enthusiastically.

            The first guy stood up, nearly toppling the table, “I’m Jeremy.”

            I smiled, reached front and shook his hand, “Nice to meet you.”

            Rayna’s grip on my arm tightened and whispered, “Don’t lean it like that. They can see down your dress.”

            My eyes widened as I looked back at them. The guys were giggling.

            Rayna gave them a strict look, “Guys, not funny!”

            Mia gestured to the second guy and said, “This is my boyfriend, Max.”

            I smiled and waved politely. Rayna pushed me into the seat next to Jeremy and sat next to me.

            After we ordered, I knew this was coming, interrogation session on the new girl. I tried being vague, but these people were pushy.

            “Guys, this is Savannah’s first time at a school,” Rayna told them.

            Immediately, questions were shot.

            I sighed, “I was home-schooled up until now.”

            “Is that why you’re so anti-social?” Alexa shot.

            “Alexa!” Mia gasped.

            I didn’t know what to say. Was I anti-social?

            “It’s just, she has this attitude as if she doesn’t want to hang out with us so I’m just assuming she is,” Alexa shrugged.

            “I shouldn’t be here,” I muttered excusing myself.

            “Savannah!” Rayna shouted.

            I looked back, “Look, this is your world. It’s... not mine. I’m sorry I have to go.”

            And then I made the most dramatic exit of my life. 

_________________________________________________

Hope you enjoy this! I've recently been obsessed with artistic gymnastics after watching the TV Show Make it or Break it and watching the Fierce Five win the Team Gold at the London Olympics 2012. 

I guess the girl who really inspired the protoganist in this novel would be Payson Keeler from MIOBI. This isn't technically fan-fic, is it? I doubt so. Anyways, it's because her mom, Kim Keeler has always pressured Payson to be a normal teenager even though Payson was extremely talented in gymnastics. 

I, myself, am a retired athlete (not a gymnast, unfortunately, I plan on trying to go for lessons though. Their stunts are so cool!) and I know what it's like when people only see you for what you DO and not what you SAY or ARE. Even worse when people undermine you and judge you for quiting (mind you, I'm 15. Not exactly old but I'm retired). 

Anyways, enjoy! My post notes of chapters won't be this long. It's just the first chapter! :) 

I removed the video and will be putting videos when I see fit ;) this chap is not really about gymnastics though.

Kudo's to Arabella for making my beautiful cover :D 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 94 12
The fourth book & after She's Gone & I'm The Reason Why ⚠️ Mature: A Bit of Cursing Jethro Gibbs has just lost his wife, Jacqueline Sloane. He can't...
192K 4.2K 50
[!!!UNDER MAJOR EDITING!!!! Just giving y'all a warning before you read this book that it is VERY POORLY WRITTEN by a 15 year old me. And is in very...
188K 3.4K 42
She's Bucky Barnes' daughter. She just doesn't know it yet. Vera has the meaning of faith... she just doesn't have it. Marvel but add a little ✨spice...
4M 87.2K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...