The Arrangement

By PunkRockPenguin

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? What happens when you wake up in Vegas married? Well, you try... More

The Arrangement
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Author Note
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Epilogue

Chapter 26

137K 4.6K 349
By PunkRockPenguin

Heads up, there's a little bit of some mature bits near the end. I haven't edited yet, but enjoy my darlings!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 26

Rory still looked sullen, but seemed to be pouting less, Trent, Nick, and Jason seemed to be enjoying themselves. Jason got up and let Meri into the booth and Trent let me slide in next to him. His arm went around my shoulders, but still seemed stiff.

"So, now that you're testing has been approved, what's next?"

I shrugged. "I have to be honest, part of me never expected them to actually let us test."

"And now that they have?"

"I have to figure that out. I have to find people willing to let me test. I have to test on small samples and it's going to require a lot of planning."

"That means, once you start, you won't have much time?"

I shook my head. "No, probably not."

"Well then, we'll have to make a trip to see my parents before then." Trent whispered.

I froze. Crap. "Well, I guess you're right."

Nick perked up. "Great. I can't wait to introduce you Natalie. When are you guys coming out?"

"Well, I need to wait until my team is out of the Gulf. So after the season is over. I guess I can come out for a weekend or something."

"You were right Trent. Her number one priority is work." Nick chuckled.

"Speaking of which," I glanced at my watch. "You guys keep celebrating. I need to get back to the aquarium. I have a ton of things I need to so."

I went to get up, but Trent's arms gripped my waist. "Hold on just a minute," he whispered. "I'll just be a minute." He guided me over to a corner of the bar. "How are you getting back to the aquarium?"

I shrugged. "I'll just get a cab."

"Absolutely not. I'll tell Nicky we're taking you back."

"Trent, it's fine. Enjoy your time with your brother."

"You aren't going in a cab."

"It's really not that far. I could probably walk to be honest."

"Are you kidding me? I'm not having you walking."

"Hey, Mikaela?" Meri was behind us. "I need to get back too, do you need a ride?"

I glanced up at Trent. "Yeah, I do actually. Got a problem with that Trent?" I challenged as I took a step towards to Meri.

Trent's features softened. "No." Trent sighed. "Be safe." Trent gave me a quick kiss. "Call me when you're ready to be picked up tonight."

"Okay." I left with Meri leaving the men to their celebrating and testosterone fest.

"You mentioned someone who might be able to help with my little dilemma?" Meri prodded after a long moment in the car.

"Oh, right! Yeah, have you ever heard of Nikki Kerstone?"

"Who hasn't?"

"Really? Is she that well known?"

"She knows just about everyone who's anyone. Do you know her?"

I nodded. "Yeah, she's been a friend of mine for a while."

"What? Seriously?"

"Yeah, we were roommates in college."

"Holy crap! You actually know her?"

"Yes. I guess I didn't realize how big of a deal she was. Yeah, when I've been confused I've asked her questions. She knows way more than I do."

"You think she'd help me too?"

"Of course. She's about the only friend I have outside of the aquarium. I'll give her a call when we get back to the aquarium."

Sure enough, when I called, Nikki agreed to meet up with us later tonight. I called Trent at about ten and told him I didn't need a ride. Instead I went out with Nikki and Meri and we ended up heading over to Nikki's place. Nikki lives quite differently than I do.

She owns the penthouse suite in one of the upscale apartment buildings in downtown Atlanta. When it's raining or foggy, sometimes her apartment is higher than the low hanging clouds. The entire top floor is hers. As she opened the door, she threw her purse by the end table near the door and kicked off her shoes. I kicked off my tennis shoes and shivered as the cold from the marble floors seeped through my socks. Her place was very open with lots of open hallways and massive windows that let in a ton of natural light when the sun was out. The floors were a beautiful polished marble and her home was done in soft light colors. Her white couch and chairs were accented with golds, tans, and pinks.

"It's been nice to meet you, Meri. Would you like a glass of wine?"

"Sure." Meri smiled, looking surprised but excited.

"Kae, I'd offer, but I know you want water." Nikki called as she pulled out a chilled bottle of wine and two wine glasses. "So, you're Meri. It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard a lot about you."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Mikki tells me just about everything." I shrugged. "Anyway, what's up? She said you might need some insight."

Meri blushed down to her roots. "Well, um, you see," Nikki waited patiently as Meri stammered out what had happened today and how she really felt about Jason. "I don't know what to do!"

"Well, to be honest, what happened today could have just been a release of endorphins and a reaction."

"When we went to celebrate, he kept touching me. His leg would press against mine. His hand kept landing on my knee. What do you think?"

"Well, you're co-workers so be really careful. You never want to shit where you eat." Nikki offered as she finished off the remnants of her glass and poured another. "But it might be mutual."

"Do you think?"

"Mikki, how do they act around each other?"

I shrugged. "I have no idea. What do you mean?"

Nikki laughed. "I don't mean like what does it mean. I mean, you're observant as hell. How does he act? How often do you see him talking to her?"

Now that she mentioned it. "Most of the time. If I ever need Meri, I usually find Jason not too far away."

"Perfect. Meri, does Jason seek you out pretty often?"

Nikki kept asking us questions and decided that Jason seemed to have an interest. She did mention that it may be a sexual interest only, but after our conversation, it was possible Jason liked Meri as much as she liked him.

"It's getting late, I should get going. Mikaela, do you need a ride?" Meri asked as she got up.

"I'll give her a ride in a bit." Nikki offered.

"Thanks. Get some rest, Meri." I smiled at her.

Nikki walked her to the elevator then turned her attention back to me. "Okay, spill."

"What?"

"What happened after I got you all dolled up? What has been happening since?"

"Well, erm, you see,"

"I see that you're going to tell me every juicy detail. Trent and I had a heart to heart while you were getting ready. Have you two done it yet?"

"No."

"Why the hell not?"

"He's going to be gone. Why should I?"

"He might not be."

"But what if he is?"

Nikki sighed and pulled me back over to her plush leather couch. "That's a risk everyone takes. It's called love. Not a guarantee."

"Nikki, part of me wants to trust him, and part of my is convinced that part is an idiot. I'm half convinced that as soon as something happens he's going to be gone and I'm going to feel like a fool again."

"Oh sweetie." Nikki sighed. "Listen to me, and listen good. Do you remember when Paul walked out?"

I nodded. Paul had been a complete ass to Nikki. He had taken what he wanted from her and broke her heart when he left. Nikki spent a few nights with the men who won't leave, a few with Jim and Jack then Ben & Jerry. I have to say I've always admired her strength. Even with a broken heart, she'd still get up and put on a brave face for the world and then she'd come home and break down for a few hours, get some sleep and do it all again. Eventually, she learned how to exist without that part of her heart. She was so much stronger than me.

"It hurt like hell and there are times when I still miss him, but we had some good times too. And do you remember Marty before him?"

I nodded again.

"I could name everyone of them, but the fact remains, I've tried a hell of a lot and fucked up a lot of relationships. I've gotten way more wrong than I have right, but I can't help but believe one of these days I'll meet the guy I'm supposed to marry. Until then, well, I'll just do my best."

"You're so much stronger than me."

"Bullshit. No I'm not. I'm just willing to risk it. Every time you put yourself out there, it's a risk. But it was a risk applying for a job. It was a risk applying for your grant. There was a chance they would say no. But goddamn it, you did it anyway."

"Oh my gosh, I forgot to tell you. I get to test my theory!"

"See, risk pays off!" Nikki let out an excited squeal as she tackled me. "I'm so excited for you. Go celebrate by screwing your hot husband."

I gave her a flat look. "You're not funny."

"I'm hilarious bitch. Seriously, what has he done to make you not trust him?"

"I feel like he's hiding something."

"Any idea what?"

I shook my head. "No, it's just a feeling that I have."

"Well, are you operating out of fear or faith?"

"Faith? Are you trying to say this is like divine intervention or something?"

Nikki shook her head as she took another sip of wine. "Faith isn't a God word. Every farmer has faith. Faith is the belief of something that has not yet come to pass. If farmers didn't have faith, they wouldn't plant seeds and expect a harvest. Are you acting like you are because you're sure you don't trust him, or you're scared to trust him."

I sighed. "I'm scared to trust him."

"There's your answer. Something I've noticed, people don't tend to end up happy when they operate in fear. I love you sweetie, I'm sure you know that. I want to see you happy. You may smile and get excited, but I don't buy that you're completely happy. That's all I want for you."

"Do you think he's trustworthy?"

"He knows what I'll do to him if he isn't." Nikki grinned. "Don't worry, beautiful. Like I said, we had a heart to heart. If I want to, I can destroy him and anyone else in the limelight. I've done it before and I won't hesitate to do it again if he even thinks he can use and abuse you. Don't worry, trust me, I'll always have you back."

I nodded. "Were you the one who spread that Craig had herpes?"

Nikki flashed me a devilish grin. "Maybe. Now, are you staying here or should I bring you back home?"

"I'll go home."

"Well then, let's get you home."

Nikki drove me home and I was surprised to see Trent sitting up at the table.

"Oh, you're back! Where were you? You said you had a ride hours ago!" Trent pulled me into a hug.

"Oh, yeah, Meri and I went over to my friend Nikki's. Nikki just dropped me off."

Trent pinched the bridge of his nose. "I was worried about you. First thing tomorrow, you're getting a cell phone."

"You were worried?"

"Of course. You said you were coming home hours ago. I called the aquarium wondering if you were still there and something had happened. They said you'd left. What was I supposed to think?"

"I'm sorry. I was just trying to help Meri."

"Help Meri? With what?"

"Well, erm, it's kind of personal for her, but I knew Nikki could help."

Trent ran his hand through his hair. "You scared me. Next time, just let me know."

"I'm sorry." I repeated. "Nikki and I just got to talking. We talked about you actually."

Trent's ears perked up at that. "Me? What do you mean you were talking about me?"

"Well, she basically told me I should trust you until you give me a reason not to."

"Nikki sounds pretty smart."

"Yeah, she's usually right too."

"So, what's that mean to you?"

"It means I'm still too scared to take this anything but slow, but maybe we can take this out of neutral."

"I like the sound of that." Trent's hands gripped my waist and he pulled me against him. His lips captured mine and were a gentle but commanding presence. "I like the sound of that a lot." A moment later Trent scooped me up in his arms, his lips never leaving mine. He brought me into the bedroom. I broke apart.

"I'm not ready for all of this."

"You get to decide the line," Trent whispered as his hands ghosted up and down my sides, making me shiver. "I won't go past it. Let me show you how I can take care of you."

I looked up at him and took a deep breath. I stared into the depths of his greyish-green eyes. I nodded. "Please, just take it slow and please, don't let my fears be right." I whispered.

Trent kissed me full on then. He did wicked things with his tongue and lips and hands. I was moaning in less than a minute. One of Trent's hands played with the hem of my shirt, the feeling where his skin touched mine seemed to set me skin on fire. Slowly he started moving his hand up until it was resting on my rib cage. "Just trust me," Trent whispered as his hand went higher. I gasped as his hand caressed my breast. I moaned as his mouth claimed mine again. I felt the heat of desire pooling low in my stomach. I squirmed under Trent's expert hands. A moment later Trent suddenly was pulling my shirt off. The cold air brought back my senses. I crossed my arms over my chest and Trent pulled away. "You're beautiful." he whispered as he nipped at my ear. I squirmed at the sensation.

"Trent, I, we can't,"

"Shhh, shhh, shhh, relax. Trent's eyes roamed over my torso and I felt way too exposed with just a bra and my arms.

"Can I have my shirt back?"

Trent smiled but handed me back my shirt. "Before you put it back on, let me see you."

"What?"

"You know what I mean Mikaela." Trent pulled his shirt over his own head. "Trust me for two more minutes," Trent took my hands and pulled them away from my chest and put them over my head. Trent kissed me again and he unhooked my bra and pulled it off. I froze, my breath coming in short panicked pants. "Relax," Trent whispered. "I'm going to take care of you."

I shook my head. "Trent, wait,"

Trent sighed but smiled. "What are you worried about?"

"I've never, and it's just, and I need to put my shirt back on."

Trent kissed me one more time, his hand cupping my breast. "Thank you," he whispered as he kissed my neck. "You're beautiful, I hope you know this." I shivered as he breath tickled my skin as his hand massaged my breast and he rolled my nipple between his forefinger and thumb. I moaned and suddenly felt the need to push him away.

"Stop," I breathed as I pushed him away. "Wait, no more."

Trent kissed my lips one more time then pulled away. "Thank you," I pulled my shirt over my head.

"I can't do this," I whispered.

"You enjoyed it."

I shook my head. "It made me feel weird."

"Mikaela, have you ever had an orgasm?"

I felt my cheeks go scarlet. "Excuse me?"

Trent grinned then. "I look forward to giving you your first then. Aren't you tired?"

"Yes,"

"Let's go to bed then."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110K 2.9K 35
"Don't leave." he takes my hand in his and looks me in the eyes that are full of different emotions now and I can't help but stare back, I don't want...
11.7K 171 11
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? Unfortunately for Betty this will be a night she'll never forget, but will she want to? *Barchie fic bas...
4K 402 32
NEW 18 + Novella He thought he was just hooking up ... With someone random .... She thought it was fate .... Benjamin 'Ben' Hammonds gets dumped by...
7.9K 212 28
A small family had lost the father a year ago. The mother never found anyone else until a man shows up and takes her breath away. The daughter doesnt...