Stolen Hearts (2012 Wattys Fi...

KatherineArlene által

A young man wakes up to find he's been kidnapped and being held a prisoner. He's told he won't be harmed and... Több

A Brief Word About The Story
Chapter 1 - Robert
Chapter 2 - Trapped
Chapter 3 - The Key
Chapter 4 - Taking Control
Chapter 5 - The Dream
Chapter 6 - Small Truths
Chapter 7 - Georgie
Chapter 8 - Keeping a Distance
Chapter 9 - The Key, Again
Chapter 10 - Crossing the Line
Chapter 11 - Georgie's Story
Chapter 12 - Comfort in Darkness
Chapter 13 - One Step Too Far
Chapter 14 - Taking the Blame
Chapter 15 - Never Again
Chapter 16 - Just Like Heaven
Chapter 17 - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Chapter 18 - No Choice At All
Chapter 19 - All She Wants
Chapter 20 - So In Love
Chapter 21 - Living Within the Lines
Chapter 22 - The Looming Fear
Chapter 24 - A Gift for Georgie
Chapter 25 - Happy Christmas Part I
Chapter 26 - Happy Christmas Part II
Chapter 27 - The Bargain
Chapter 28 - Whatever It Takes
Chapter 29 - The Time Has Come
Chapter 30 - The End of Everything
A Brief Word At the End
Stolen Hearts Music Playlist

Chapter 23 - The Meeting

39.9K 1.4K 171
KatherineArlene által

The door to the outside of the flat was quickly opened and a hand grabbed Robert's arm and pulled him out. He had only a moment to register two large blokes, a wide hallway, and an open doorway in front of him before he was shoved through it. The door was closed behind him and locks were turned.

It was a large room about the size of the sitting room set up like a study. Moreau was standing next to a fireplace where a fire was burning with his hand on the mantle. A round table with two chairs was in the center of the room with some bottled water and glasses on it. There were mullioned windows like the ones in the flat with the thick pine forest in the background. He saw the bars on the other side of the panes of glass. He looked behind him and saw a large bloke standing near the door. He looked like a bouncer. The bastard made certain he had security, Robert thought.

Just like the other times he'd seen him, Moreau was dressed in an expensive suit with his hair slicked back. He looked at Robert with his steely, deep set eyes, wearing an air of authority and power. Robert fought the urge to lunge at him and put his hands around the man's throat.

"Robert! What a delight to see you again!" he said heartily. Robert kept quiet, working hard to keep his face impassive. His seething hatred of the bastard was threatening to overwhelm him. He focused on what he came there to do and tried to push the rage down. He had to stay in control for Georgie's sake.

Moreau gestured to the table and, after Robert sat down, joined him. Robert's mouth was suddenly dry and after a hesitation, he opened a bottle, poured some water, and took a quick drink. Moreau waited for him.

Robert pushed his hair out of his eyes, suppressed the urge to take a deep breath, and started. "Before we begin, I want to give you my word that Georgie didn't ask me to say what I'm going to say. She doesn't know why I'm here."

Moreau nodded, his face unreadable.

"I give you my word that she doesn't know anything about this, because I want you to give me your word that you won't say anything to her about it. I don't want her to know what's said between us – today, or any other time we discuss this."

Moreau suddenly smiled at Robert with his smug grin, saying, "Well, well, Robert! I must say, you are being very intriguing. But I have to ask you – why would you take my word on anything?"

Because I don't have any choice, you fucking bastard, Robert thought, but he was ready for the question and answered in a mild voice, "Because you gave me your word I wouldn't be harmed while I was here, and you've kept it. And you said you would give me what I needed to be comfortable, and I don't have any complaints so far." He hated having to suck up to him. There was silence while the bastard looked at him, smiling his smug smile.

Finally he said, "You don't want me to tell her? Very well, you have my word."

Robert searched his eyes but got nothing. "Your word as a gentleman?" The irony of the word was not lost on him.

"Yes, Robert. My word as a gentleman," he replied with a sigh, as if he was bored.

Robert held his hand out to shake on it.

Moreau was surprised and then laughed at Robert before giving him a quick handshake. Both of them squeezed very hard.

He wanted to make the bastard think twice before going back on it. He knew the man would be cruel enough to taunt Georgie, telling her all about it and he hoped this would protect her from finding out. It was all he could do.

"There's one more thing before I begin. What I'm going to say could make you angry. I want your word of honor you won't punish Georgie for it. She doesn't know anything about it, and I don't want her to suffer because I said something you didn't like."

The smug smile was gone and he looked angry. Robert tried to keep his face impassive. He knew the bastard really wanted to know what he was going to say, but he didn't like the conditions. The seconds dragged by.

Finally Moreau said, "I give you my word of honor as a gentleman. I won't punish her for what you tell me," and he held out his hand. Robert tried to hide his relief while he squeezed the bastard's hand as hard as he could.

It was now or never, he thought. Time to make his case. He tried to appear confident.

"I know it won't be long before you let me go and I have a request. I want you to let me take Georgie with me when I leave."

Moreau didn't hide his surprise. Robert felt hopeful seeing his expression. He'd feared the bastard's first reaction would be anger and the meeting abruptly ended.

Before the bastard could interrupt him, he continued. "If you allowed me to take her, I give you my word I'll tell my family, the police and everyone else that I disappeared on purpose. I'll never tell anyone the truth about what really happened. Whatever consequences I have to face for lying about it, I'll take them."

"And if I don't let her go with you?" The bastard was catching on.

"Right now, I don't care what you've done to me. But if I leave here without her – I'll do everything I can to find her. I don't want to cause you trouble – but I might not be able to help it – since she's with you."

He'd tried to be careful how he worded it, but he saw anger flash in the bastard's eyes. He didn't like being threatened, and it made Robert nervous. The last thing he wanted was to make the bastard think he had to disappear with Georgie if he hadn't planned it already. He tried to read his expression but the bastard wasn't giving anything away.

"Why do you want her?" the bastard asked suddenly with suspicion.

Robert was apprehensive. He knew this was the most important question he had to answer.

"I've fallen in love with her." He'd decided honesty was the best way to go, hoping the bastard would get the idea that he'd go to the ends of the earth to find her if he believed he loved her.

Moreau gave him an appraising look. Robert thought this was news to him.

"And what about the girl? Does she share your feelings?"

At that moment, Robert realized the bastard had never once referred to Georgie by name in front of him. Had she ever heard her name spoken before he came to live with her? He swallowed against the tightening in his throat, and immediately pushed the thought out of his head.

He was uneasy answering the question. He knew this was what Georgie feared the bastard knowing the most.

"I believe she does. I think her feelings are strong enough, she'll try to kill herself when I leave." He hoped this sounded ambiguous enough the bastard wouldn't assume they were already in a relationship.

Judging by the expression on his face, he didn't seem to be concerned she might kill herself. The fucking bastard probably didn't care, Robert thought angrily while trying to keep his face emotionless.

"So why would you bother to look for her if you think she's going to kill herself?" he asked in an almost bored voice. It made Robert even more angry but he tried not to let on. He knew he was being provoked and he couldn't afford to lose control.

"Because I love her and I want her to be with me. I wouldn't rest until I found her," Robert replied firmly.

"What if I killed her before you found her? Surely, I would know you were close to reaching me long before you would," the bastard said nonchalantly. Robert felt like he couldn't breathe as his whole body went cold.

The smug smile was back. "Details, details. I'm disappointed in you, Robert. You're not being very thorough," and he sat back, looking satisfied.

This was a game to him, Robert suddenly realized. The bastard was enjoying this, playing with him like he was a mouse. If this was how he wanted to do it, so be it, he thought angrily. He could play too, staying one move ahead and refusing to let the bastard rattle him.

He won't kill her, Robert told himself firmly as he concentrated on keeping his breathing slow and steady, willing himself to stay calm. He didn't respond. He knew the bastard would win if he did, dragging him down a rabbit hole and distracting him from what he came there to do. They both waited while the silence stretched.

Finally, the bastard said, "Why should I give the girl to you?" Robert was relieved but tried not to show it. The bastard had just made the move he wanted him to make. They were getting back to questions he'd prepared for.

"I give you my word Georgie hasn't told me anything about her life here. Everything I'm going to say, I figured out on my own," Robert said watching him carefully. The bastard was back to being unreadable.

He continued, "I know she's been here for some years. I don't know for sure but – perhaps you find her – boring now?" Robert was detecting some anger and he started being more careful in his choice of words. The bastard was silent so he continued.

"I think she's close to being eighteen years old. Maybe she already is. Perhaps – she's getting too – old?" Robert hoped this was exactly how he felt about her, the sick fucking pedophile.

The smug grin was suddenly back. "Why, Robert! Are you actually suggesting I go out and grab another little girl to take her place?"

Robert said nothing and tried to keep his face unreadable, willing himself to stay calm. He didn't allow himself to think about the implications of what he'd just heard. The minutes dragged and finally the bastard spoke.

"So, is that it? You want me to give you the girl when you leave. Are we done here?"

Robert steeled himself. He was about to attempt the trickiest bit. "No, there's one more thing. I have it written down. It's in my sock and, if you'll allow me, I'll pull it out."

Moreau looked at him for a moment, then nodded to the guard. He walked up and Robert quickly stuck his leg out, pulling up his pant leg. The guard pulled out the folded paper and put it on the table. Robert thought it was interesting that Moreau wouldn't take a chance on Robert getting it himself. He unfolded the paper and held it so Moreau couldn't see what was written on it.

"I hope you'll decide to let me take Georgie when I leave, with my word no one will know the truth about what happened. If you do that – and I would be very happy to accept that outcome – life would be difficult for us. She wouldn't be able to live with me in England, at least not until I could obtain her American documents. I don't know if she's eighteen yet, which adds its own complications. She has no education and no money. I could go on but I won't." The bastard's face was impassive but Robert thought he might be guessing what was coming next.

He continued carefully. "I have an additional request that would make it possible for Georgie to start a new life right away. It's for the things she'd need that I'm hoping you would provide." He handed the list to the bastard. He looked it over, his face expressionless while Robert continued.

"I understand I'm asking for a lot there, but I don't doubt you could obtain everything on that list quite easily. She needs a birth certificate proving she's already eighteen. She needs British citizenship or dual citizenship with the U. S., a passport and any of the necessary documents she'd need so she can live with me. She'll need money to pay for her education and living expenses until she's able to support herself. Basically, all the things that will make her transition to a new life smoother."

The bastard looked up and held his gaze, giving nothing away. Robert waited him out, trying to give nothing away as well.

He'd desperately hoped that by changing the question from whether the bastard should let her go or not, to whether the bastard should let her go with or without the things on the list, would make it more likely he would decide to let her go. It was Robert's big gamble and he hoped it would pay off.

"Why would I go to all this trouble?" Moreau asked.

Because you fucking stole her life you sick bastard, Robert thought, but he answered carefully, "If you felt like you – owed her – something." He'd waited before he finished the sentence, trying to see what words he should use, but he got no clues from the bastard's face.

Robert waited and the minutes dragged by. The bastard looked over the list again and then looked at Robert, his face unreadable.

Finally he said, "I don't know, Robert. What you are asking me to do." He shook his head as if it were a big deal.

"Just to hand the girl over to you for nothing? But this?" He held up the list. "This is pretty astonishing, what you are asking for here!" He waited for a response.

Robert worked hard not to show the despair he suddenly felt and stayed silent, waiting the bastard out.

He finally continued. "If – and I only say this as a somewhat unlikely 'if' – I were to grant all of your wishes." He held up the list again. "What would you be willing to give me in the bargain?" Robert suddenly felt like there was less oxygen in the room than there was a moment ago.

"Do you mean money?" he asked faintly, knowing that wasn't what the bastard meant at all. The bastard's smile was back but it wasn't smug, it was malevolent and his eyes were menacing.

"Robert, Robert," he said quietly, shaking his head. "I know you have no money. And besides, what would I want with more money? I'm already wealthy. I'm talking about you bargaining with what you have right now."

For the first time, Robert felt fear. He kept quiet, trying to keep his breathing under control, but the bastard knew he had him right where he wanted him – and was enjoying every second of it.

The bastard shook his head again, "I'm disappointed with you, Robert. Again, you have overlooked the details."

His voice started slowly rising as he continued. "I cannot believe you come here to me. Ask me to hand over a girl I have raised and trained for years, without once thinking what you would be willing to give me in exchange! I believe you are wasting my time!" He stood up suddenly, throwing the list back at Robert.

Robert was immediately on his feet and raised his own voice. "How do you know I haven't thought about it?" he lied. "You haven't told me what your price is yet! When you do, we can begin the negotiations!" He hoped he sounded more brave to the bastard than he sounded to his own ears. The smug smile was back again, as if Robert had made a good move.

"Very well, I give you my answer in a week." He picked up the list and walked out the already opened door.

Robert was left alone in the room, and the door was locked. He had to sit down because his trembling legs were no longer able to hold his weight. He put his head in his hands and waited for his body to stop shaking. He suddenly felt anxious for Georgie's safety now that the bastard was out of his sight. He prayed the bastard was keeping his word right now.

He was stunned and rattled by how the meeting had ended. It suddenly occurred to him that this was why Georgie was so terrified. She knew what the bastard was capable of. Robert realized he'd been incredibly naïve, thinking how easy it would be to deal with the bastard. It was obvious how this was going to go. The sick fucking bastard was going to demand payment for her – if he decided to let her go, that is.

What would Robert be willing to do for her – to save her life and get to keep her with him forever? He didn't have to think twice about it. He'd do anything – anything – but he knew he should think it through carefully. He needed to prepare himself for what could be coming. He couldn't afford to blindsided like he had today. But what he wouldn't do? He wouldn't be that sick fucking bastard's victim, he thought with a grim determination. Whatever he had to do, he would do it, confident in the knowledge he was doing it for Georgie.

But there was plenty of time to think about what he might have to do later. He had an entire week, seven guaranteed days with Georgie, and he was going to make the most of them.

While he waited for someone to take him back to the flat, he thought through the entire meeting, examining everything he'd said and the bastard's reactions to it. Just as he was starting to feel panicky about the amount of time that had elapsed since the bastard left, he heard the door being unlocked and stood up. The same security bloke was there and motioned to him. The door to the flat was already open and he was shoved through. The door was slammed shut and the locks were set behind him as he walked into the sitting room.

Georgie appeared in her bedroom doorway. She'd been crying, but looked incredibly relieved to see him. He was incredibly relived to see her too. He started toward her and she ran to him, throwing herself into his arms, nearly knocking him over and sobbing in his chest.

"I'm alright. I'm alright," he told her over and over while he held her tight, trying to reassure her. After a few minutes, she calmed down but they held each other for a long time.

After a while, he loosened his hold enough so he could look at her. "Did he come here? Did he bother you?"

"No, Robert. Why?" she cried, with obvious concern in her voice. He searched her eyes and could see she was doing the same, trying to figure out what was going on, but she was telling him the truth about the bastard. He hoped it was a good sign the bastard had kept his word so far.

"It's nothing, Georgie," he said pulling her to him again. "It was a while after he left before they let me come back here. I was starting to get worried."

He kissed her, then said gently, "Why don't you get ready to do your dancing, yeah?" and let go.

"Okay, Robert," she said with a sigh. She left him reluctantly, holding his hand until she got so far from him she had to let go.

He went to his room, closed the door, and got out the lyrics from his t-shirt drawer. He tried not to think about the meeting anymore. There was no point in dwelling on it. It was all on the bastard now. He had seven guaranteed days with Georgie and he wanted to get his songs for her finished before they were up.

****

This was a fun chapter to write.  It was great to have Robert interact with someone else for a change, and the bastard is just so evil, isn't he?  What on earth do you think Robert is going to be told he'll have to do to get Georgie?  You'll have to read on to find out! 

Thanks for reading!  Please don't forget to vote if you liked this chapter and as always, I love comments.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

16.4K 873 33
Mature content! 18+ The world wasn't dictated by humans anymore, a different species had come out of the shadows over 400 years ago and taken their p...
261 126 25
Book #1 in the Sinners and Saints Series. A girl meets a guy. He is the man of her dreams. They both fall in love and live happily ever after... Righ...
11K 713 29
Wattpad Exclusive! Nearly beaten to death, a man wakes up in a place he does not know. Neither can he remember how he even ended up there. Waking up...
29.4K 968 42
"What you're talking about is called Stockholm Syndrome." Stock·holm syn·drome: NOUN - feelings of trust or affection felt in many cases of kidnappi...