In Another Life

By LittleDhampir18

"They are martyrs, dedicated to a life that wasn't their choosing. Dedicated to me..." Katarina Labore is kno... More

Prologue
Part 2

Part 1

1K 98 94
By LittleDhampir18

Chapter 1

The screeching coming from the telephone jolted me out of bed. The tangle of sheets wrapped their arms around my tired legs, making it impossible to reach the phone. The fabric seemed to pull me back, keeping me from silencing the wailing. It was going to wake Shaun up, and the last thing I needed was a sleepy child bitching at me.

Groaning, and with more force than I intended, I lunged for the phone. The sheets lost the battle and dropped me to the floor. Scrambling up, I grabbed the plastic receiver before it could go to voicemail.

I cleared my throat. “Hello?”

Hello, is this Katarina Labore?” The man’s voice sounded wide awake. After all, he wasn’t the one being forced out of bed.

Trying to keep the annoyance out of my voice, I rubbed my eyes. The clock read: 3:39. Could it have killed him to call me three hours ago? “This is she.” I glanced back at Shaun, his small body was still curled up in a pile of linen and animals.I lowered my voice. “Whatever this is, can’t it wait until morning?”

The man continued, like I hadn’t said anything at all. “I don’t know how else to say this, but…” he paused, something in his voice made me sit up straighter. His voice was almost an anxious mummer. I opened my mouth to give him lessons on how to prank call a person, but his next words made mine catch and die in my throat. “Your parents, Kyle and Mary Labore, were found dead on the side of the road along with Gabrielle Cates’—“

“Katarina Labore!” Hearing her name made Kat almost all out of her chair. And for the first time in her life, she was glad for it, Professor Dell stopped her from reliving that horrible night. Kat shivered out of the nightmare and rubbed her eyes as she waited for them to focus on Professor Dell's face. The teacher was a middle aged woman, and would be pretty if it weren't for the overly used Botox. She reminded Kat of the Barbie dolls she used to play with as a child.

“Yes?” Kat asked, trying to keep the grogginess out of her voice.

The Professor tapped her fingers on the whiteboard next to her, glaring at Kat with beady eyes as though she were a piece of old chewed up gum she happened to find on the bottom of her shoe. Dell cleared her throat, taking time to make Kat feel even more uncomfortable.

“Clearly you have better things to do than use my classroom as a resting lounge. Might I suggest retaking my class next semester?” She was staring down at Kat from the tip of her nose. The Dell reminded Kat of a bird; she had a peaked nose and occasionally cocked her head to the side when she was studying something or someone. Her eyes were hard black stones engraved in her face, and stood out against the contrast of her white hair.

“No!” Kat didn't mean to scream the word, but the last thing she needed was to get kicked out of a class her cousin Jaden was paying for her to attend. Dell raised two perfectly plucked eyebrows at Kat's outburst, and did that thing with her head that intimidated her so much.

Kat cleared her throat before the Professor could suggest another disciplinary solution. “I mean, it's just I love the French language so much. It's interesting.” She tried to resist the urge to spit out the lies dripping off her tongue.

The Dell cleared her throat and glanced behind her at the whiteboard. “Very well, then would you mind translating this sentence for me?” Her eyes turned to ice as she watched Kat straighten out of her slouch. When she opened her mouth to respond, those black eyes narrowed into slits of black glass as sharp as daggers. “Since you just love French so much.” She said, mimicking Kat's tone.

If she weren't in the wrong right now, Kat would tell the Professor that she did a horrible job at imitating her. Wiggling in her seat, Kat tried to appear taller. She never did like it when a teacher picked on her offensively, especially when they had to sit in these low desks. It made her feel small, and she refused to give the Dell the advantage.

Kat's face grew hot from the weight of the Professor and twenty other eyes on her. Gabby was sitting behind Kat and kicked her chair, the abrupt jolt reminded Kat that she was supposed to answer the question instead of giving the Dell the satisfaction of her stupidity.

Kat glared at the long board stretching across the gray cemented room. The French phrases started pulling themselves together, transforming into English. She didn't know how she did it, but the ability had helped her with the last several quizzes.

Kat's lips tugged down in a tight frown as she looked back at the teacher, trying to mirror the Dell's expression. When she translated the phrase effortlessly, Kat crossed her arms over her chest, satisfied with the answer. But the Dell glared at her with rigorous eyes and walked up to Kat's desk, which she hated most of all. Looking straight up into her eyes, Kat refused to back down.

The challenge in the Professor's eyes was as detectable as water was wet. “And the next sentence, Labore?” She tapped her long fingers on the desk, the clicking of her nails made Kat want to slap the old woman.

Sighing, Kat let her gaze fall back on the writing scribbled on the board's bright surface. For the second time, the words transformed before her eyes, invisible to everyone else in the room, they rearranged themselves until Kat could make out the translation.

After repeating the second phrase without stumbling Kat glared back up at the bird-like woman, she could feel a smug smile spread across her face. Defeat flamed in the black pits carved into the teacher's pale face. Any other student would have cringed away from her inhuman eyes, but Kat didn't want to give her the satisfaction of the discomfort forming under her skin. Instead, she decided to sit up straighter never letting her eyes leave the Dell's.

The Professor gave her one final icy stare before huffing and turned on her heel. The Dell never did like picking on students who knew all the answers. It was like a disadvantage to her, and student's misery as her choice in nourishment.

Once the Dell's cold voice drifted over the silence of the room, Kat placed a palm on her cheek. She could feel the heat radiating off her skin as she closed her eyes and took deep breaths, trying to get her abnormal temperature back under control. When she finished mediating, she could feel that her face wasn't as hot, and hoped that it didn't show. Kat didn't want the Dell to see how much she had irritated her.

Instead, she focused on the environment around her. They were in a room that matched Kat's mood of Dell perfectly. It reminded her of a prison, and with Professor Dell as the instructor, she might as well be the warden of their happy little cell.

The room was plain gray, nothing special. No posters, pictures, or even a clock, which was the worst part. Not knowing the time irritated Kat the most. The Dell didn't care about people's wants and needs; she only survived of their wearisome souls.

A familiar sharp pain poked at Kat's shoulder. Automatically, she reached back and brushed her fingers over the soft paper. When she placed it in front of her she noticed the note was printed in familiar soft curvy handwriting: What a bird-brain. Wanna kick her ass after class?

A laugh boiled up in Kat's chest at the nickname they had given The Dell on the first day of school. Gabby was always looking out for Kat by solving her problems with violence. After all, it was how they had became best friends. Kat let a small smile slip at the memory of Gabby punching a boy who had called Kat “the Devil” for having red hair. Gabby had lashed out before she could shed a tear.

They have been inseparable ever since.

Knowing Gabby was only joking, Kat quickly scribbled down: sure, I'll let you have the first hit.

Gabby worked at a bar her parents had owned called: the Grill. It had roughed her up, making her toughed skinned, and she was scary as hell when a person got on her bad side.

With an eye on the Dell, Kat let the paper fall behind her. There was a soft crinkle of the sheet before Gabby's musical laugh rang through the air.

After class, the girls made their way to their bikes. They both refused to drive cars after their parents were killed in the same accident a year ago, they found it hard to climb into a vehicle without thinking of the incident.

Jaden, Kat's eldest cousin, was contacted by the hospital after the duration of the accident. He had strode into the building where the girl's parents had lain lifeless on the steel table and, without question, steered Kat's brother, Gabby and her out of the emergency room. After which, Jaden immediately took full responsibility for his cousins. And left alone as a single child with both her parents gone and no family members left, Gabby soon decided to move in as well.

The school and Dell vanished when the girls rounded the corner of a bakery store. The smell of pastries and sweets made Kat's stomach growl, only she knew better than to ask Gabby for a quick bite. Her friend was trying to keep her in shape, claiming that it will come in handy one day when she was in danger. Although, what danger Gabby had planned for her, Kat had yet to find out.

Their apartment wasn't that far from the college. But the sudden heat wave was starting to make Kat pant and it was almost intolerable as she dragged behind Gabby; which her friend sensed moments later and slowed down as well. The sweat beading off Gabby's tanned skin showed that she too was beginning to tire. This made Kat smile, even Gabby runs out of energy.

When they finally reached home, the hair stuck to their foreheads as they gasped for air. Thick red curls obscured Kat's vision as they dropped their bikes on the hot concrete, and fell through the front door out of exhaustion. A blast of cold air welcomed them as they tumbled over each other. The air touched Kat's sticky skin and she had to hold back a sigh of relief.

Living near the beach the weather should be tolerable. But karma was a bitch to those less fortunate. Both the college and their apartment were in inland Long Beach, and it was always much hotter than it would be if they lived a mile from the ocean.

When Kat shut the door, she had barely enough time to turn around before something soft and warm barreled into the lower half of her body. Stunned, she placed a hand against the heavy door, not wanting to fall over and take Shaun with her.

“Kattie!” Her little brother screamed as he clung to her leg. He had a strong grip for an eight year old. Trying not to grimace, Kat smiled down at her brother. “Shawnee, you have to be careful. Where's Jaden?” She asked as she returned his hug. The familiar smell of his skin brought back memories of their childhood. His soft blonde hair brushed Kat's cheek as she began to relax against his small frame.

Hesitantly, Shaun let go of her legs and resorted with hugging the arm with a fresh bruise. Kat tried not to wince as he muffled into her arm: “he's in his room, playing video games.”

Kat rolled her eyes at this. Of course he was. Gabby caught her eye and nodded towards the hallway to their left, Kat's cue to leave. Gabby placed a hand on Shaun's thick blonde hair, messing it up to the point where it stuck up in every direction. “How about we go get some ice cream?” She asked, her bright blue eyes smiling down at the boy clinging to Kat's arm.

Shaun let go of his sister at this and turned around to look at Gabby with big brown eyes. It was amazing how much the two looked alike. With Gabby's white-blonde hair, they looked more like brother and sister than Shaun and Kat did.

He nearly jumped up and down, ecstatic about going to the Parlor. It was their favorite hang out durning the heat waves. Gabby smiled down at the young boy and moved to pick him up as she asked him what he did in school, leaving Kat to Jaden.

Shaun was too young to be left alone, and money was too tight to hire a babysitter. So in result, Jaden worked between the girl's school and work schedule. And when his shift was up, Gabby and Kat left for their daily jobs and classes, leaving Jaden to corrupt Kat's little brother.

She walked around the staircase to the hallway behind it, stoping at the first door on the right. Jaden had took over one of the smaller rooms, claiming that Gabby and Kat have the master bedroom since it was more comfortable for two people.

The gun shots and screaming coming from behind the door made Kat smile. Her cousin was a horrible babysitter. She recalled the time when Shaun would make up stories of how he could shoot a man with one pull of the trigger. It took Kat all of five seconds to understand that Jaden had been letting her brother watch while he played the violent games.

Kat knocked, and when there was no answer she kicked the base of the door several times, leaving dark scuff marks. Behind the wood she could make out Jaden's muffled cursing. A few things clanked together as sounds from the T.V. quieted.

“Yeah?” And because she could, Kat kicked the wood harder with her shoe. Jaden cursed louder, “dammit Kat! Come in!”

Hearing the impatience in her cousin's voice, Kat pushed open the door. The smell of boy and cologne hit her like a wall and she took a step back. Her eyes focused on Jaden, who was sitting on the edge of his light blue bed holding a controller in one hand and a beer can in the other. His room was always neat, a lesson learned from his survival classes.

Kat knew he took the stupid courses in preparation for a Zombie attack. She rolled her eyes at this, he watched too many horror movies, and she was starting to believe he woke up every day praying an outbreak would happen in their city.

“Must you kick my door in every damn time you need something?” Annoyance dripped of his tongue.

Unmoved, Kat folded her arms over her chest and glared at the older boy. “How would you hear me if I didn't?”

“You know I won't lower the volume Kat.” He calmly set the controller on his tight cornered bed. But she could tell that his movements were forced, as if he was having a hard time parting with the plastic thing.

Kat glared at Jaden as the sun glistening in from the curtains casted eery shadows on his face. His cheek bones were set high on his face and he had a spare upper lip with a full lower lip. His hair was dark brown and his eyes as green as the sea. He was handsome.

Shaking her head, she leaned against the door's frame. “If you did, I wouldn't have to do that.” Kat pointed to the black smudge marks decorating the base of the door.

Jaden looked at those small marks with so much frustration it was a wonder how the wood hadn't caught on fire. “The volume makes me play better.” He stated simply.

Kat scoffed at this, which made Jaden look back up to where she stood relaxed against the tanned wood. Shaking her head, she mumbled ideas of wanting to club him over the head with one of the speakers.

But knowing it was a loosing battle, she placed a hand on her hip and glared at him with raised eyebrows. Jaden saw the stubborn set in her jaw and sighed. “Okay,” he raised both hands in the air as if surrendering, “what's up?” His pale gaze fixed on Kat's.

He crossed his tan arms over his chest as he waited for her answer. Kat noticed the dark blue shirt he was wearing bore a caption that read: Zombies Don't Call Shotgun, which brought out the hard muscles under its threading. Jaden made Kat feel safe at times, although she'd never tell him that.

“Gabby and I are taking Shaun to go get ice cream, so you can leave early.” She responded a second later.

Jaden nodded, his dark locks moving with the rhythm. His hair covered his eyes and had to be swept to the side for him to see. “Shaun was begging to go there, I was going to ask you to take him but uh...” He paused and pointed to the controller laying on his bed. “I didn't hear you come in.”

Kat crossed her arms over her chest and stood up straight, taking her cousin in. Jaden was twenty-one and the closest thing she had to an older brother. His mom died giving childbirth to him, leaving Kat's uncle to tend to a baby that he looked at as his lover's killer. She knew Jaden had lived a hard life before moving to Long Beach.

Every day, Kat felt bad about Jaden taking them in. She was sure he had a life before the incident. Positive that he had a girlfriend before them, and friends that he spent most of his time with. But since Shaun and Kat had moved into Jaden's home, he seemed to be working more, and devoting his free time to his cousins.

Silence passed between them, reminding Kat that she was blocking his way and standing there like an idiot. Jaden was still staring at her, raising an eyebrow the longer they stood in the quiet room. Kat despised him for being able to do that, it made him look cooler than he really was.

And because she couldn't leave the subject alone, Kat blurted out: “I don't like Shaun going around pretending he's in the 'mafia.'”

Jaden choked at this, looking offended, “it's the modern war.” Kat opened her mouth to fight him on it, but he held a hand up, silencing her objections. He smiled as he set his beer down before crossing the small space between them. “Your brother needs to know how to be ruthless during a zombie apocalypse. You should join my team.” Kat glared at him and started to protest again, but he interrupted her for the second time. “You're handy with a gun.”

She bit off a snide comment. It was true, Kat did know how to use one. Her father had taught her how to hunt years ago, but feeling the weight of one would only bring up painful memories. Looking back up at him, she tried to push down the smile creeping up her lips. “Well, when you get killed just know I'd be more than happy to shoot your brains out when you go all zombie.”

Jaden laughed at this, shaking his head. “Always the Lone Wolf, thanks for looking out for me.” He ran a hand through his hair, it was getting long Kat thought. “I have to get going, have fun little Cuz.” He tousled her hair as he walked past. Kat swatted at his hand, but before she could make her escape from the inevitable, he grabbed her under his arm and ruffled it harder. She grunted, beating at his arms as she tried to break free of his iron tight grip. His laughing at Kat's poor attempts rumbled through her small body.

Before she could elbow him he released her, letting her fall to the hard ground. Coughing air back into her lungs Kat turned onto her back ready to kick him, but he was already padding down the hall towards the bathroom whistling obnoxiously. Kat's eyes narrowed as she thought of a thousand ways to destroy his X-box when he left for work.

Kat watched Gabby as she grabbed Shaun's hand when they met the salty hot air. Her brother sang in a high pitched voice as he skipped down the cracked sidewalk. As they walked down the familiar street of their apartment complex, Kat dodged people rushing past them. And as always, Kat found her gaze falling on their faces, watching the stranger's reactions change from neutral to awe as they caught a glimpse of Gabby. Who was firmly holding Shaun's hand, which he swung back and fourth as he continued to sing cheerfully to himself.

Kat wasn't surprised at the residence's reactions. Gabby was beautiful, her hair was the perfect tone of bleach blonde, her eyes bright Caribbean blue. And when she laughed her same musical tone Kat saw a few people stop and stare, as if they've never heard someone giggle. Kat shook her head at this, if only they knew that Gabby could be menacing even while laughing that sweet note while holding a knife to her opponent’s throat. They wouldn't be looking at her that way.

Oblivious to the people surrounding her, Gabby lifted Shaun up onto her shoulders. Kat's little brother shrieked as he giggled at the golden girl. Sweat beaded on Gabby's muscular arms as Shaun bounced on her shoulders. He played with her long hair as she continued trotting down the road ahead of Kat.

She couldn't help but notice how fit Gabby was, and how she had no trouble carrying her brother's weight, acting as if he din't weigh over sixty pounds. Kat smiled at them as Shaun's voice got fainter. The sun casted a halo around his head, making Kat squint as she saw Gabby slow down and turn around to look at her.

Assurance washed over Kat, she knew that no matter where she was she'd always feel safe when Gabby was around. Kat was happy to call the blonde girl her best friend, the person who watched over her and her family, who protected her in times of distress. No one was more loyal than Gabby, Kat thought.

When her friend finally put Shaun down, they stood in the middle of the street pushing each other and laughing as they waited for Kat to catch up. When she was within hearing range, she noticed the huge smiles plastered on their bright faces.

Kat chuckled, throwing an arm absently around Gabby. She found herself tilting her head to look into her friend's blue eyes. Small freckles sprinkled the bridge of Gabby's nose, making her even more beautiful. Gabby twisted out of Kat's arm and fell in step with her shorter stride.

Gabby let out a little barked laugh. “I can't help but notice how people watch you.” She smiled down at Kat and reached down to pinch her rosy cheeks. Kat swatted her friend's hand away, rubbing the place where Gabby had grabbed. “You're too adorable to ignore. Like a little girl trying to pass as a grown woman.” When Kat scowled at her, Gabby laughed harder. “I'm kidding, your attempts at playing dress up is amusing though.” When she caught Kat's glare, Gabby doubled over, grabbing her stomach, as if to contain the violent shakes protruding from it. “Oh come on, you and Shaun could totally pass as twins.” She teased lightly.

Shaun laughed at her insult as he skipped ahead of the girls, his arms swinging widely as he hopped over the cracks set deep into the pavement. Kat smiled at his joyful steps, her brother was the only person on the planet that could make her smile without even trying.

From the corner of her eye, Kat could tell Gabby was studying her. And when she caught her friend's gaze, she saw something spark in those bright eyes. A challenge threatened to pull up the corners of her mouth, “last one to the Parlor has to do laundry tonight!” Gabby's reference to the chores they had waiting for them made Kat groan.

Before she could comprehend what her friend was doing, Gabby took off at a sprint. Her feet lightly slapping against the hot concrete as her whoops echoed against the quiet homes. This was what Kat hated about her friend, she had so much energy and always expected everyone to catch up with her.

Kat looked down at Shaun as he skipped his way back over to where she still stood motionless. Her brother smiled up at her, knowing what was about to happen. Gabby did this often when she felt confronted, and knowing that Kat would never catch up with Shaun as extra weight, she always managed to get out of chores.

But one thing Kat had learned from her best friend was how to be competitive. Any sane person would have shrugged and waited for Gabby to slow down, but for someone as idiotic as Kat, that wasn't an option. “Hop on.” She said to Shaun as she crouched down and waited for her brother to jump onto her back. His soft body pressed up against the curve of her back before she began to jog towards Gabby.

As her feet loudly flopped against the ground, Kat thought of how unfair it was that her friend had gotten a head start. She knew on any other situation, she could easily catch up to Gabby, but with Shaun bouncing on her back she could only run so fast. His arms were wrapped tightly around her neck, making her breath come out shallow as they neared Gabby, who had slowed down, her earlier spurt of energy dying out quickly.

When Kat was about to call out for her friend to stop, she saw that Gabby was already a step ahead of her. When she halted from her run, Kat skidded against the pavement and almost hit Gabby's toned back. Slowly, Kat let Shaun slide down her back as she took in their surroundings.

They were standing a few blocks away from the Parlor, and the wind was curving around the houses and shops, blowing strands of coppery hair in Kat's vision. She caught her breath as she closed her eyes and relished in its cool fingers. They were closer to the ocean now, and the breeze coming off of it felt amazing against their sweaty skin.

When Kat finally opened her eyes, she noticed Gabby had gone ridged. Her back was straight and tense. Seeing her friend's change in mood made Kat touch her tan shoulder. Gabby rarely got upset about anything, and reminded Kat of someone with the personality of a dog. Always happy to see everyone, but will fight when her life and the ones she loved were in danger.

“What is it?” Kat's voice was full of concern as she stared at her friend in confusion. She couldn't recall the last time Gabby acted this way. And her hair was blinding in the sunlight as Kat squinted around the tall girl to see what had made Gabby pause. At first, Kat couldn't make out what she was looking at until her eyes adjusted to its blinding white paint.

It stood as proud as it had a year ago. The shutters had been repainted a deeper blue and the porch light was on, casting a luminous glow over the old swing. The rose bushes that sat in front of the first floor were neatly trimmed. But Kat noticed they weren't as groomed as they were before.

The massive oak tree in the yard swayed and creaked against the light breeze, a single swing rotated back and forth with the branches. Its autumn leaves swirled on the freshly cut grass, brushing their shins with soft kisses. The familiar sounds brought up old memories of their childhood. Kat noticed that other than the shutters, everything was still intact.

She trembled as the piercing memories began to fade. Swallowing around the lump in her throat, she took a step towards Gabby and moved to turn her around. Gabby's eyes were red and puffy, her rosy cheeks streaked and wet. Seeing this, Kat pulled her friend into a tight hug. Guilt swelled in her chest as she held onto Gabby's shirt like she had the day of their parent's funeral a year ago.

Gabby cried softly into Kat's shoulder as she lightly stroked her friend's gold locks, cooing nosies coming from her throat. Gabby's sobs shook Kat's small frame, and her tears slowly soaked her t-shirt. As they stood there smothered by their grief, Kat could feel a million conversations going through them like an electric shock.

That was the thing about their friendship, they got each other. They were like magnets, one moves and the other moves with it. They protected each other from everything, and when their parent's died their friendship grew even stronger than before. Bonding them in a way even they couldn't describe. They had been through everything and stuck next to each other even through the hardest of times.

Gabby wasn't one to cry. Kat had watched her friend grow up in a home where crying meant weakness and weakness meant vulnerability. In Gabby's house that was intolerable. Kat had seen her friend tough out of a lot of things: broken arms, stitches, and pet deaths. But when it had came to her parent's death, Kat listened to the other girl cry herself to sleep every night for the first three months.

Shaun wrapped his arms around Kat's leg, his warm body bringing her back to reality. She reached down and ran a hand absently through his bright hair, a gesture that was meant to soothe both of them. His hair felt silky between Kat's nimble fingers, relaxing her until her tears had dried up.

Gabby sniffed softly and pulled away from Kat. She watched as Gabby smiled sadly and wiped at her eyes violently, her embarrassment masking her earlier emotions. “Come on, ice cream sounds really good right now.” Gabby wiped her wet hands on her shorts, looking around anxiously as she smoothed her hair down. The street was almost abandoned, except for a few cars lazily making their way down the old road. But Kat knew no one could had seen their sad moment in the sun's fading rays.

Gabby looked back down at her and placed a slender hand on Kat's shoulder. “And don't worry, I'll help with the laundry.”

Kat nodded in agreement and wasn't shocked to find her friend's voice so steady and calm. She was used to Gabby's abnormally fast recoveries. Without warning, Gabby linked an arm through hers as she grabbed Shaun's small hand, slowly they made their way down the familiar street full of their childhood memories.

When they reached the Parlor, people were already filed outside the store's glass doors. Gabby sighed when they took their place in the long line. The sun was almost set now, leaving them standing in the cool shade. Kat watched as Shaun let go of Gabby's hand and walked over to the window. He pressed his face against the clean glass, gazing at the flavors.

While he was distracted, Kat turned to face Gabby. Her friend's face was neutral now, an armor Kat knew she'd never be able to break. With one final glance at her little brother, she whispered quickly under her breath. “I'm sorry Gab, I didn't mean for us to go that way,” she paused slightly when Gabby's mouth twitched. “I wasn't paying attention.”

Kat felt horrible for not watching where they were headed, and the fact that she had put Gabby through all that trouble made her heart sink deeper into her chest.

Gabby's smile didn't reach her eyes as she took both Kat's pale hands into hers. “It's alright, we can't avoid this forever.”

Her friend's words rang true in her ears. Kat knew Gabby was right, it was practically inevitable, and they couldn't keep running from their haunting past. Jaden didn't when both his Aunt and Uncle died in that car crash. He had shown her that to forget was happiness. And in order to earn that, they needed to put the incident behind them and move on.

Shaun joined them then when the line began to move forward, silencing the girl's conversation. Kat still felt weird talking about their parents when her younger brother didn't fully understand.

After they had gotten their ice cream they began their way home, licking and slurping the melting cream as the air began to cool. Kat laughed when she noticed Shaun had chocolate smeared around his mouth and hands as he skipped ahead of them, singing a song their mother used to hum while tucking them into bed.

The night air turned crisp as they got closer to their apartment. They had taken a different route this time. Gabby had suggested walking near the beach so the wind had a salty taste to it and smelled like seaweed.

Like home, Kat thought.

Her gaze fell on the ocean to their left. White caps crowned the large waves, and were the only things visible for miles against the black waters. The sounds of their crashing soothed Kat even more as they walked a little ways off, laughing when Shaun would yell back at them to catch up.

As they approached a nearby dumpster, all three of them tossed the remains of their dessert into its dank container. Gabby bumped Kat's shoulder, her friend's golden hair tickling her face, “Hey, when we get home--”

But she didn't finish her sentence as she broke off, her eyes turning into hard blue stones. Kat followed her friends gaze, wondering what had made her alert. Kat's eyes weren't as great as Gabby's, but she could see the fuzzy shapes up ahead as they turned the corner and stalked their way over to the girls.

Her mouth went dry, adrenaline traveled through her veins making her limbs jump with fear. “Shaun!” Kat yelled, her voice echoing against the buildings. He must of heard the panic in his sister's voice because he came running back to them, his face pulled up in a frightened expression.

Kat watched Gabby when she bent down slowly, acting as if to tie her shoe. Kat pulled her brother tight against her torso and turned his body away so that he couldn't see the two large men approaching them. She knew what Gabby was doing, she's seen her friend do it a thousand times. But that still didn't reassure her racing heart.

As safe as Gabby made her feel, Kat still got chills when fear prickled the hairs on the back of her neck. Shaun looked up at her questioningly, but Kat shook her head and shushed him. She knew her brother was smart, he pursed his lips together in a straight white line and nodded once to show her that he understood.

As the looming figures walked under a streetlight, Kat caught their features. The man on the right had hair as black as ink that looked as if he had dumped a bucket of grease on it recently. The other's was shaved bald, and reflected against the lamp's golden glow. She couldn't help but notice how massive they were, their bulk as strong as an oak tree. Kat shivered as she watched Gabby straighten out of her crouch. Her eyes were full of fury and excitement.

And despite the fear coursing through her veins, Kat felt safe standing next to Gabby. No one could touch them when her friend was by their side. Complete faith in Gabby's abilities slowed Kat's heartbeat a little. But her palms began to sweat as she clutched Shaun tightly, she wouldn't allow anything to happen to her family.

The men were watching them with interest as they came closer. Gabby leaned in close to Kat, her breath tickling her ear. “When I say run, we run. Got it?” There was excitement tented in her friend's voice. Only Gabby would be this upbeat about a fight.

Kat gave a slight nod, and tightened her grip on Shaun, ready to take off when Gabby gave the cue. The men's footfalls were heavy and echoed loudly against the deserted street. Blood rushed in Kat's ears when the men stopped within reaching range.

Kat could see Gabby's muscles tense under her tank-top, her hair stuck to her sweaty forehead and her breaths came slow and even. Shaun dug his fingernails in Kat's arm, making her wince as she waited for the men to lunge at them with knives in each hand.

When the man with black hair cleared his throat, Kat jumped. “Well, what do we have here?” His eyes lazily racked both Kat's and Gabby's bodies. A slow smile creeped on his face, showing two missing bottom teeth while the rest leaned against each other, yellowing.

Kat tried to resist the urge to gag.

She could feel Gabby slightly tremble next to her. With either fear or excitement, Kat couldn't tell. Her pulse was throbbing in both her head and her throat and she felt as though she might pass out her head was spinning so bad.

Gabby's cool voice split through the tension in the air. “We're just passing through.” She sounded calm, but Kat could see the anxiety in her stance. Kat knew that if they didn't do something soon, Gabby would spring into action, restless to get this over with.

The bald man stepped closer, completely blocking the sidewalk, a wicked grin spread across his flush lips. “I don't think so.” His voice was heavy and deep as he took another step forward. Hunger and lust lit his pale eyes.

Kat shivered as she pushed Shaun further behind her. She could feel his tiny body trembling against her arm, his fingers cold and tight under her elbow. She knew that if something happened, she'd do anything to save her brother.

Just as the bald man and his friend took another step forward, something sliced through the air. It flipped over several times, end over end. The street's lights caught its silver surface, making it look like some type of metal disk. And only when it sank into the bald man's leg, did Kat realize it was a dagger.

Stunned, she looked at Gabby who's feet were shoulder length apart, her arm stretched before her, still frozen from when the dagger had left her fingers. The man let out a howl shattering the eerie silence, Kat felt Shaun wince from the sudden noise.

“Run!” Gabby screamed as she pushed Kat into the empty street on their right.

Without thinking, she picked up Shaun and ran at full sprint. Gabby was a few steps behind her, her thundering footsteps was the only reassurance Kat had to tell her that her friend was right behind them. The girls didn't get far before the man with ink-like hair stepped in front of Kat.

Startled, she halted to an abrupt stop and flung Shaun behind her. Protecting him with her body as she started to back away from the man. There was no longer a smile on his face as he advanced on Kat. Her head whirled for possible ways to get Shaun out of there.

Her vision sharpened as he got closer, she could make out each individual pore in their attacker's face. Each small stubble poking through the skin stretched over his clef chin, she could even see the veins in his eyes. But she didn't have time to question this, Shaun was the only thing on her mind.

Just as he took another step, the sounds of grunts and struggle sounded behind the siblings. With a quick glance Kat saw Gabby standing over the now unconscious bald man, and was holding the dagger in her hand, its blade slick with dark blood.

Kat continued to back up until they were pressed up against a shop's cold window. Kat caught the glimpse of Gabby's dagger spinning in the air again as she pushed Shaun further against the wall, afraid that the man would somehow get around her.

He had his back to Gabby, so he didn't see the dagger toppling over in the air before it connected with his right shoulder blade. His screams were much more pained than his companion's as he fell down on his knees and clawed at his back, desperate to get the blade out.

Panting, Kat watched as Gabby marched over to the man. With a hard kick, she forced him to the pavement, and with a sickening crunch he met the black ground with a grunt. Kat stood there stunned as she watched her friend rip the dagger out of the man's back. Her eyes were full of fury as she flipped the blade around and jabbed the hilt of it into his temple. Silencing his screams.

Looking back up at her, Kat could see how much the fight had excited Gabby. Her pupils swallowed any remaining blue and her cheeks were flush. Gabby nodded towards the mouth of the street. “Let's get out of here before they wake up.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.6K 1.9K 49
Even teen evil queens need love. Right? (Or at least a handsome sword-fighting minion to do their bidding!) *** Bad things happen when Rowen is aroun...
246K 12.3K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...
1.4K 75 25
"Take the small one, she isn't human." Another officer came over and started to take her from my arms. She let go in shock but I grabbed her arm and...
1.3M 37.8K 49
Katarina Night has been alive since the Salem Witch Trials in 1692. Surprise Surprise, she's a witch. Since her mother was caught and burnt alive for...