Fighting Against Fire [One] (...

By Turtlii

The Protector never wanted anything but a life of peace and quiet, only to watch the Universe from afar, lear... More

Fighting Against Fire
Prologue
Rose - II
Rose - III
Same Room, Different TARDIS
End of the World - I
End of the World - II
End of the World - III
What's a Time Lord?
The Unquiet Dead - I
The Unquiet Dead - II
The Unquiet Dead - III
Aliens of London - I
Aliens of London - II
Aliens of London - III
World War Three - I
World War Three - II

Rose - I

1.1K 53 15
By Turtlii

It's time to finally go back to this series that I created a good few months ago. I am so excited to get this series going.

-----

Rose Tyler groaned as her alarm beeped again alerting her it was sadly time to get up. She groaned and rolled over, checking the time before she sighed and sat up a moment before she dragged herself out of bed.

She got dressed and forced herself to leave her room, she spotted her mother, sitting on the sofa and watching TV. Rose moved into the living room and kissed her mother on the cheek, she then headed to the door to leave for another day at work. "Bye!" Rose called to her mother, Jackie as she headed out.

"See you later!" Jackie replied.

×××

Rose jumped off the bus as it came to a stop outside Henricks department store and sighed as she entered the shop to start working.

×××

The day went on and Rose moved and sorted clothes in the store, fixing what customers left lying around after deciding they didn't want the piece of clothing, it soon got to lunch and as she did almost every day during her break she met up with her boyfriend, Mickey in Trafalgar square for lunch.

Eventually, it got to the end of the day when the store would be closing, Rose smiled as the announcement came over the speaker, she finished what she was doing and headed for the door with the other shop workers.

"Oi!" One of the guards of the shop waved a plastic bag in front of her face and made her groan when he shoved the bag at her and ordered her to take it down to Wilson the electrician.

Rose headed down to the basement using the lift and walked through the corridor surrounded by multiple boxes. "Wilson?" She called out. "Wilson, I've got the lottery money." She tried the door and sighed in frustration upon finding out that it was locked. "Wilson, are you there?" She asked. "I can't hang about 'cos they're closing the shop. Wilson! Oh, come on."

Rose whipped her head around when she heard a clattering noise further along down the corridor. "Hello?" Rose narrowed her eyes to help her see. "Hello, Wilson, it's Rose." There was no reply. "Hello? Wilson?"

Rose headed further down the corridor and opened the door to the storage department where shop window dummies were scattered around. "Wilson?" She called out. "Wilson!"

Rose turned around when the door behind her suddenly slammed shut, she sprinted back and tried to open the door but it was no use. "You're kidding me."

She turned around again when there was another sound of items falling on the floor. "Is that someone mucking about? Who is it?"

One of the dummies then began to move, slowly turning its head to watch her before it moved towards the blonde. "Yeah, you got me." She let out a nervous laugh. "Very funny."

A second and then a third followed. "Right, I've got the joke. Who's idea was this?" She asked and narrowed her eyes. "Is it Derek's? Is it? Derek, is this you?"

She began to move back as the dummies continued to walk towards her, she pressed herself up again the wall as one of the dummies raised an arm up at her. Her eyes widened when she felt something grabbed at her wrist, turning her head she saw a man in a jumper and a black leather jacket with dark brown hair. "Run"

Dragging Rose Tyler along the man ran into a closing lift and frowned seeing a black-haired woman, dressed in a black and white diamond styled top, a denim jacket and dark red jeans with yellow trainers, she didn't look up from where she was fiddling with a bunch of wires before she placed the panel back where it belonged in the wall. The man in the leather jackets eyes then narrowed and he suddenly clocked on. "It's you!"

"What are you doing here?" She narrowed her own eyes and snapped in reply, an American accent clearly slipping through a fake English one.

"Trying to save the world, you?"

"Yeah, well you can get inline." She scoffed, dropping the English accent completely. "And who's this?" She looked at the shell shocked blonde.

Rose stared at the two before her eyes darted down to the plastic arm in his hand. "You pulled his arm off."

"Yep. Plastic."

"Very clever." She laughed while the woman who was in the lift tilted her head at the human. "Nice trick! Who were they then, students? Is this a student thing or what?"

"Why would they be students?" The woman questioned.

"I don't know." Rose shrugged.

"Well, you said it." The man added. "Why students?"

"'Cos to get that many people dressed up and being silly, they got to be students."

"That makes sense." He smiled. "Well done."

"Thanks."

"They're not students." the black-haired woman scoffed.

"Whoever they are, when Wilson finds them, he's going to call the police."

"And who's Wilson when he's at home?" The man wearing the leather jacket asked.

"Chief electrician."

The Time Lady's face fell. "I'm sorry but Wilson's dead."

He rolled his eyes. "Sorry to bother you both but I really need to sort this out. Take her away from here."

"What do I look like?" The woman laughed. "Your tin can of a dog?"

"Oi!" He narrowed his eyes and pointed at her. "Just do it, this once."

"As long as it gets me away from you." She sighed. The three stepped out the lift and man ran up the stairs while the strange woman headed down a corridor with Rose.

"That's just not funny." Rose suddenly blurted out when the woman opened a door. "That's sick!" She shook her head. "I've had enough of this now who are you two, then and what lot down there?" The woman didn't reply and Rose frowned. "I said, who are they?"

"From what I've gathered. They're made of plastic, literal living plastic creatures, the idiot back there, 'the Doctor' as he calls himself is probably going to do something very stupid and idiotic and it wouldn't surprise me if I somehow have to save him." The two stepped outside into the cold London night. "but don't worry about me having to save big ears in there." She snorted. "I've had to do it thousands of times, it's best if you go home. Go and do whatever people do nowadays but don't tell anyone about this, because if you do, you'll get them killed and I can't have that because I'm the Protector" She smiled before mumbling more to herself than Rose. "I got to redeem myself somehow..."

Rose stared at the rambling woman. "Right."

"Wait." The Protector held up a hand. "I never caught your name, sorry."

"Rose."

"Well Rose, it was nice-"

There was a loud explosion behind them which forced them back, The Protector let out a loud word that Rose could only assume to be some kind of curse in an alien language. The Protector quickly grabbed Rose and shielded her as best as she could before her eyes widened in horror and her head snapped up to the building that had caught alight from the explosion. "No, no, no, no, no!" She shouted going to run back inside.

Rose gapped at the woman before she grabbed her arm. "You can't go back in there!"

"Don't worry about me!" She shouted back and pulled the sleeve of the denim jacket she was wearing out of Rose's grasp before running into the building. "Go home!"

Rose stared at the woman and looked up before she flinched away as another explosion erupted inside the building before she took off, running as far away from it as possible.

×××

The Protector covered her nose and mouth as best as she could while violently coughing her lungs up, slowly trying to make her way through the smokey, exploded building. Her eyes widened as best as they could while stinging from the smoke as she came face to face with the culprit. "You blew the bloody building up!" She screeched.

"What did you think I was going to do, have a nice sing-song with them!"

"My TARDIS is somewhere in here!" She shouted. "My TARDIS with the faulty shields so now it most likely isn't a TARDIS but a pile of dust and ash thanks to you!"

"Well, that's your fault for not getting it fixed!"

"Says the Time Lord with the TARDIS permanently stuck as a stupid blue box." She snapped through a violent cough. "Oh wait, it's like that because he stole it!"

"I didn't steal it." He protested. "And we really should stop arguing, I've only been in this regeneration for a few days, I don't want to change again so soon. We have to get out of here."

The Protector shook her head. "Not without my TARDIS."

"No." The Doctor replied, grabbing her arms to pull her out.

"I'm not going anywhere!" She shouted at him. "I need my TARDIS, it's all I bloody got left thanks to you and now I don't even have that." She said between coughs.

The Doctor sighed slightly and watched at the Time Lady clearly grew weaker and weaker with each attempt to get free from his grasp. She then suddenly fell forward into his arms and he groaned out. Why of all people did it have to be you who survived? He asked himself looking down at the Time Lady as he shifted her in his arms and carried her out of the building.

×××

Rose groaned as her mother walked from one room to the other while she spoke into the phone, one of her friends on the other end. "I know. It's on the telly. It's everywhere. She's lucky to be alive. Honestly, it's aged her. Skin like an old bible. Walking in now you'd think I was her daughter. Oh, and here's himself." She remarked as Mickey walked through the door. He quickly walked into the sitting room where Rose was slumped on the sofa. "I've been phoning your mobile. You could've been dead. It's on the news and everything. I can't believe that your shop went up!"

"I'm all right, honestly, I'm fine!" She huffed. "Don't make a fuss."

"Well, what happened?" Mickey asked.

"I don't know!" She snapped at him.

"What was it though?" He pressed on. "What caused it?"

"I wasn't in the shop." She shrugged. "I was outside. I didn't see anything."

"It's Debbie on the end." Jackie walked in and held a hand to the phone as she spoke to Rose. "She knows a man on the Mirror. Five hundred quid for an interview."

"Oh, that's brilliant! Give it here." She gestured for the phone before she snatched it out of her mother's hand and ended the call.

"Well, you've got to find some way of making money," Jackie remarked while crossing her arms at her daughter. "Your job's kaput and I'm not bailing you out."

The phone rang again and Jackie quickly answered, smiling as she walked into the kitchen. "Bev! She's alive." She glanced at Rose. "I've told her, sue for compensation. She was within seconds of death."

Rose shook her head as her mother continued to talk to Bev. "What're you drinking, tea?" Mickey frowned taking the cup from her. "Nah, nah, that's no good, that's no good. You're in shock. You need something stronger."

"I'm all right."

"Now, come on, you deserve a proper drink. We're going down the pub, you and me. My treat. How about it?"

Rose shook her head. "Is there a match on?"

"No, I'm just thinking about you, babe."

"There's a match on, ain't there." She huffed slightly.

"That's not the point, but we could catch the last five minutes."

"Go on, then. I'm fine, really. Go. Get rid of that." She tossed the plastic arm to Mickey and kissed him on the cheek.

"Bye, bye." He waved with the plastic arm before pretending to be strangled by it.

"Bye," Rose replied, giggling slightly as he walked out the door.

×××

The next morning Rose woke up to her usual alarm at half seven, she groaned slightly as Jackie shouted to her from the sitting room. "There's no point in getting up, sweetheart. You've got no job to go to."

Rose groaned and rolled onto her other side before she shook her head and sat up.

×××

"There's Finch's," Jackie told Rose as they sat in the living room. "You could try them. They've always got jobs."

"Oh, great." Rose rolled her eyes. "The butchers."

"Well, it might do you good." Jackie shrugged. "That shop was giving you airs and graces. And I'm not joking about compensation. You've had genuine shock and trauma. Arianna got two thousand quid off the council just because the old man behind the desk said she looked Greek!" Jackie exclaimed. "I know she is Greek, but that's not the point. It was a valid claim."

Rose frowned as she heard something rattle at the door. "Mum, you're such a liar." She accused. "I told you to nail that cat flap down. We're going to get strays."

"I did it weeks back!" Jackie huffed in protest.

"No, you thought about it." Rose countered as she stood up and walked towards the door, frowning when she noticed the screws that had nailed the cat flap were gone.

Carefully kneeling down Rose slowly pushed the cat flap, she gasped seeing the man wearing the leather jacket staring back at her.

Suddenly standing up Rose opened the door and frowned seeing the two Time Lords stood there, the man in the leather jacket frowned while the woman had her arms crossed, her denim jacket still on her shoulders with the black smoke evidence of the damage from the Hendricks shop bursting into flames after the explosion, her eyes were narrowed at the Doctor who frowned at Rose. "What're you doing here?" The Doctor asked.

"I live here."

"Well, what do you do that for?" He asked while the Protector rolled her eyes. "Idiot." She whispered.

The Doctor narrowed his eyes at the Time Lady. "Because I do," Rose replied. "I'm only at home because someone blew up my job."

"Trust me." The Protector huffed. "I'm just as pissed off as you are."

"Oi!" He pointed at the woman. "Watch the language, I don't want to hear that."

"Not like you've been so innocent." She huffed again.

The Doctor rolled his eyes before he frowned at the blonde girl still stood there at the front door. "I must have got the wrong signal. You're not plastic, are you?" He knocked on her forehead. "No, bonehead. Bye, then."

He went to shut the door but Rose held it open and pulled the man inside. "You two, inside." She ordered. "Right now."

The Protector shrugged and followed as Jackie Tyler called out from one of the rooms.

"Who is it?"

"It's about last night," Rose called out. "Their part of the inquiry. Give us ten minutes."

"She deserves compensation." She shouted.

The Doctor stood in the doorway. "Oh, we're talking millions."

"I'm in my dressing gown.", Jackie suddenly said.

The Protectors eyes widened and she placed a hand over her mouth to stop the laughter, clearly seeing where this was going.

"Yes, you are."

"There's a strange man in my bedroom."

"Yes, there is."

"Well, anything could happen."

The Protector removed her hand from her mouth and let out a loud laugh. The Doctor looked at her and frowned before he turned to Jackie and shook his head. "No."

The Protector then walked through the hallway and into the living room. "Don't mind the mess," Rose said to them. "Do you two want coffee?"

"Might as well, thanks.", The Doctor nodded. "Just milk."

The Protector shook her head. "Unless you got anything stronger to cope with having your TARDIS burned like it's a crispy black piece of bacon left to cook for too long."

Rose frowned before she headed into the kitchen. "We should go to the police. Seriously. All of us."

The Protector sat down while the Doctor picked up a magazine from the coffee table. "That won't last, he's gay and she's an alien." The Doctor muttered as he flipped through the page.

"I'm not blaming you, even if it was just some sort of joke that went wrong."

"Oh, I'm definitely blaming him." The Protector narrowed her eyes at the Time Lord.

"Hmm. Sad ending." The Doctor ignored Time Lady as he flicked through another book.

"They said on the news they'd found a body."

The Doctor suddenly saw a mirror and frowned. The Protector sighed and crossed her arms, watching in slight amusement as she watched the Doctor lightly flick his ears. "Ah, could've been worse. Look at the ears."

"This is the first time you've seen yourself in this regeneration?" The Protector asked.

"Well, I was a bit busy." He replied.

"All the same, he was nice. Nice bloke..." Rose muttered. " Anyway, if we are going to go to the police, I want to know what I'm saying. I want you two to explain everything."

The Protector shook her head. "Not a good idea."

Rose opened her mouth to protest but turned her head to the sound of a cat flap moving.

"What's that, then?" The Doctor asked as the Protector stood up. "You got a cat?"

"No."

The Protectors groaned when she turned to see the Doctor pretending to choke himself with the Auton's arm. "Real mature Doctor." She shook her head. "You think you're so funny, honestly you think I would believe you after all of yours and the Master's tricks at the academy? You're not fooling me this time, big ears."

Rose shook her head and looked at the Protector. "I told my boyfriend Mickey to chuck that out. You're all the same. Give a man a plastic hand. Anyway, I don't even know your name. Doctor, what was it?"

The Doctor forced the arm off his face, it suddenly stopped in mid-air and grabbed onto Rose. The Protectors eyes widened in horror.

"Whose mature now?" He snapped at the Time Lady as he pulled at the hand. The Protector groaned and dug into the Doctors pocket making him narrow his eyes as she grabbed the Time Lords sonic screwdriver and used it on the hand, causing it to drop off of Rose' face and onto the floor.

Rose gasped for breath as the Protector lightly kicked the hand and sighed, she tossed the sonic back to the Doctor. "It's alright, stopped the signal."

Rose sighed, her face still full of panic. "Thanks."

"So much use you were." The Protector scoffed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.1K 423 47
*SEQUEL NOW OUT* Thought to have perished in the Great Time War, The Historian now resides on Earth with her closest friend, Henry, whom she rescued...
704 62 8
I frown at him, squinting slightly at his forever-apologetic face. "Because, Michelle, you are the girl that should not exist," And that. That shatt...
184 7 5
It is known that the Doctor is the last Timelord and that this is often the reason for him feeling alone. But what if he wasn't. What if beside the m...
69.9K 2K 21
(ORIGINAL VERSION) For a girl who's lived a normal life on Earth for years, is she ready to see the universe from a different perspective? *** Willow...