A Thousand Words | ✓

By treblehearts

Reece Bremer goes through life with a scowl and cold personality. Jessica Andrews goes through life with a gl... More

Before You Begin
Chapter One: A Thousand New Beginnings
Chapter Two: A Thousand Abrupt Arguments
Chapter Three: A Thousand Assignments
Chapter Four: A Thousand Suspicions
Chapter Five: A Thousand Unspoken Truths
Chapter Six: A Thousand Confrontations
Chapter Seven: A Thousand Missing Items
Chapter Eight: A Thousand Mysterious Photographs
Chapter Nine: A Thousand Choices
Chapter Ten: A Thousand Revelations
Chapter Eleven: A Thousand Blooming Friendships
Chapter Twelve: A Thousand Different Ways to Get Revenge
Chapter Thirteen: A Thousand Little Girls
Chapter Fourteen: A Thousand Bad Memories
Chapter Fifteen: A Thousand Birds Leaving the Nest
Chapter Sixteen: A Thousand Days in New York
Chapter Seventeen: A Thousand New Volunteers
Chapter Eighteen: A Thousand Steps Forward
Chapter Nineteen: A Thousand True Lyrics
Chapter Twenty: A Thousand Treats and Scares
Chapter Twenty One: A Thousand First Dates
Chapter Twenty Three: A Thousand Hot Glares and Angry Scowls
Chapter Twenty Four: A Thousand Nights in My Arms
Chapter Twenty Five: A Thousand New Traditions
Chapter Twenty Six: A Thousand Touching Words
Chapter Twenty Seven: A Thousand People to Trust and Distrust
Chapter Twenty Eight: A Thousand Past and Current Loves
Chapter Twenty Nine: A Thousand Tons of Holiday Spirit
Chapter Thirty: A Thousand Impromptu Vacation Trips
Chapter Thirty One: A Thousand Miles Away
Chapter Thirty Two: A Thousand Slow Moving Hours
Chapter Thirty Three: A Thousand Moments to Remember
Chapter Thirty Four: A Thousand Not So Secret Senders
Chapter Thirty Five: A Thousand Roads to Take
Chapter Thirty Six: A Thousand Hurtful Things Said and Done
Chapter Thirty Seven: A Thousand People Hurting
Chapter Thirty Eight: A Thousand Words That Needed to Be Said
Chapter Thirty Nine: A Thousand Potential Futures
Chapter Forty: A Thousand Content Lives
Epilogue: A Thousand Continuing Journeys
The Story of Chris and Darcy (SPIN OFF)
Thank You
BONUS: The First One

Chapter Twenty Two: A Thousand Open Mouths

684K 26.4K 18.8K
By treblehearts

You're literally all amazing and I love you. Please read the author's note at the end! dedicated to july for the very thoughtful cover on the side! Ignore weird mistakes and typos, this was quickly edited and I had a fuzzy brain as I did it haha. Enjoy :) xx

* * *

Chapter Twenty Two: A Thousand Open Mouths

A few blocks away from school, Jessica and I stood in front of a local Starbucks. Being as, admittedly, whipped as I was, I took her to get a warm drink after the complaints of her cold hands as we were walking this morning. Not only did I do this in attempt to be a decent boyfriend, but there was something we needed to stop and talk about before getting to school.

Sipping on some special autumn drink they brought back around this time of the year, Jessica leaned against the wall and said, “So you really want to?”

I took her hand in mine and brushed my thumb across her knuckles, taking in her casual stance even though I knew she was a little nervous about this.

It’s been well over two weeks since we started going out, and Jessica was finally giving in to letting the fact known. The thing is, though, is that I have no idea why she would be nervous about people at school knowing that we’re together. Sure people will be surprised; it’s not really what they were expecting out of the school’s sunshine girl and “bad boy,” but it’s not that big of a deal . . .

“Yeah, I do. But why are you looking at me like that?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. “Do you not want to?”

She shook her head. “No, I do, but it’s –” Jessica bit her lip, looking suddenly uncomfortable as she said, “Do you not care about what people are going to say?”

“What do you mean?” I asked, frowning.

“Isn’t your reputation going to be ruined or something? Almost everyone doesn’t expect you to be with someone like me. They might think you’re going soft and –”

“I kinda am going soft, to be honest,” I interrupted with a shrug. At her genuine concern for the future of my reputation, I laughed and pulled her close. “You’re being ridiculous. Jess, you’re not honestly worrying about this, are you? Since when have I cared about what other people said? I don’t give a damn about their opinion. If anyone should be worrying about what shit people are going to say about us, it’s you. You are dating an asshole, after all.”

“You’re not an asshole!” Jessica protested instinctively before frowning. “Well, maybe a little bit,” she said after consideration.

“Oh, thanks,” I muttered.

She smiled and nudged my shoulder. “You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I do,” I chuckled and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her down the sidewalk before we ran late. “High school is a gossip central, sunshine, you can’t avoid it. Trust me, all the talk about us dating will blow over as soon as some other scandalous thing happens.”

“You say it like our dating is a scandal,” Jessica commented, sounding amused.

I smirked and stopped to catch her lips in a chaste kiss. “Wouldn’t you think so? You’re not really my type, and I’m not really yours. The cliché good girl and bad boy story. Unless,” I began slowly, making her raise an eyebrow in suspicion, “what they say about good girls is actually true.”

Her eyes narrowed, and she leaned back to look at me. “What do they say?”

“Good girls are bad girls that haven’t been caught,” I teased, waggling my eyebrows at her. Jessica gave a simple eyeroll and pulled out of my arms, walking away. I laughed as I caught her around the waist, leaning down to say in her ear, “How ‘bout it, sunshine? Is there another side that I don’t know about you?” I continued to tease.

She slapped the arm I had around her and laughed. “Don’t get your hopes up, bad boy, this is all you’re getting from me.”

As we approached the school’s front steps, I slipped my arm from her shoulder and took her hand instead. Jessica let out a breath of air, and I gave her a smile of encouragement. She returned it softly and intertwined our fingers together as I pulled the door open for her.

A subtle hand hold wasn’t enough to catch much attention as we maneuvered ourselves down the hall and towards Jessica’s locker, though I did spot a couple guys from my English class eyeing us as we passed. Charlotte was waiting at Jessica's locker, as per usual, but Kyle was nowhere to be found. Her eyes widened as she zoned in on her intertwined hands.

“Is it happening?” she asked with a tone of excitement, clasping her hands together in anticipation.

“No more stealing a kiss in empty stairwells and hallways,” I confirmed, grinning as Jessica blushed and Charlotte squealed in excitement.

“You guys are so cute!” she exclaimed happily.

“Yeah, yeah,” Jessica giggled, bumping her hip against Charlotte’s so she stepped aside.

“Where’s Kyle at?” I asked, taking a moment to scan the hallway for my best friend. No doubt he’ll annoy me more about this. He’s been very smug lately about Jessica and I finally being together, claiming that he, too, knew it was going to happen eventually.

“Don’t know, but today just got a whole lot more interesting. Now I don’t have to lie to people about if you guys are dating.”

I shot her a look of surprise and said, “People have been asking if Jessica and I are dating?”

“Duh,” Charlotte responded in the voice that suggested stupidity. “You’re literally with her all the time, so no doubt people would wonder if you’re dating. Some people think that it’s ridiculous that a question like that exists since you’re so not who people expected to get with Jessica.”

“Well then, I guess they were right.” I shrugged.

“It can’t be that big of a deal, though, right?” Jessica asked, turning to look at Charlotte. “I mean, do they really care if Reece and I are dating?”

“Considering you were able to snag the oh-so terrifying Reece Bremer with a reputation for doing oh-so terrible things, it might be a big deal to some people,” Charlotte answered.

“Don’t you know, though? The oh-so bad boy is going soft,” Jessica winked at me. I grinned and shook my head. I did admit that, didn’t I?

Charlotte sighed dramatically, fanning herself. “And I repeat: you guys are so cute!”

At the sound of the bell, I wrapped my arms around Jessica, saying, “C’mon, I’ll walk you to class.”

“Ooo, so he is going soft,” Charlotte teased, grinning slyly at us before she turned and walked away. Students were filing into Jessica’s first class by the time we got there. Some glanced at us as I pulled Jessica to a stop in front of the doorway, but I paid them no attention.

“Here you are, sunshine,” I said with a grand gesture to her math class.

I caught the hesitance in Jessica’s movements as she turned and wrapped her arms around my neck. Planting a smile on her face to play it off, though, she said, “Thank you very much for walking me to class.”

Smiling softly, I slipped one hand on the base of her neck, brushing my thumb across her skin as I leaned closer. Something flickered in those turquoise eyes of hers as I brushed my lips against hers, but I smiled as she leaned up and pressed her lips against mine more firmly.

Atta girl, I thought as I kissed her once, and then another. I knew we caught the attention of people when a single whistle reached my ears and a chorus of hollers followed. Jessica pulled back and stared at me with narrowed eyes, any trace of worry gone as if it was never there.

“Leave me to answer the questions first, huh?” she whispered.

I grinned. “You can get me back next period,” I answered quietly, and kissed her one last time before releasing her completely. “Have fun.” I winked and left her to deal with the open mouthed classmates that just witnessed the two most incompatible people kiss several times in the middle of the hallway.

* * *

Jessica didn’t get me back in American Government, besides the nearness of her chair to mine and the playing with my fingers under the desk as the teacher lectured. But as I sat on top of our table later in biology, waiting for class to begin, Jessica had walked through the door with purpose and kissed me long and soft on the lips.

“I called it!” Kyle shouted as I pulled Jessica closer and returned her kiss.

I smiled slyly once we pulled away. “I like it when you make the first move,” I commented.

I admired her taking initiative on our first kiss, but her kissing me willingly in front of everyone now was her way of showing me that she was slowly kicking her nervousness to the curb. Who cares what they think, right? All that matters is that I can freely be as intimate with her as I want.

The kiss wasn’t something everyone in the room could miss. It’d gone kinda silent for a moment before Kyle’s comment put a pin in the quiet atmosphere. Then there was talking.

A lot of talking.

So much talk that by the time we sat at the lunch table, Kyle was ready to spill all the rumors he had heard so far in the day.

“All right,” I sighed, pulling Jessica to my side. “Lay it on us.” She looked genuinely afraid to hear what people have been saying about us, while as I only wanted to know if someone was talking shit about Jessica so I can go beat the shit out of them.

“So here’s what I’ve heard so far,” Kyle said, leaning forward with a serious expression. “Number one: you’re sleeping together.”

Jessica’s face flushed a bright pink at his words and she pressed her hands against her warm cheeks. I, however, snorted and rolled my eyes. “I love how me having sex with Jessica is the first one you say,” I drawled. “What’s number two?”

Kyle smirked and said, “That Jessica’s pregnant and you’re the dad. Obviously.”

“Seriously?!” Jessica shouted, her eyes snapping to him in alarm.

Charlotte smacked him on the arm as she said, “Knock it off before you make Jessica’s face even more red.”

Kyle laughed and shook his head. “I’m kidding, I’m kidding,” he assured Jessica, to which she groaned and buried her face into my shoulder. I chuckled and stroked her arm. Kyle sure wasn’t doing anything to her calm her nerves.

“Actually these are actual things I’ve heard people say, but they’re idiots. Most people are gossiping about the coming together of the most unlikely couple ever. Some are legit shocked and can’t believe it. Some find it adorable. Some say that it’s not serious and that Reece is just trying something new by dating a good girl like Jessica. According to them, your relationship won’t last more than a couple weeks or months.”

“All right, that’s not too bad. Now we just ignore those who have no faith in us and move on with our lives,” I said, squeezing Jessica’s arm gently.

“Yeah, what do they know?” Jessica agreed, nodding more to herself than anyone else.

“They know nothing, that’s what,” Kyle answered, pointing a finger.

“Exactly, you’re a lot better couple in my eyes than theirs, ” Charlotte joined in. “There’s a lot more behind the labels they’ve put on you.”

The touch of Jessica’s hand in mine, soft and gentle, turned my attention to her. “Ain’t that truth,” she whispered.

I brushed my lips against the side of her head, knowing how ironic her statement really was. People had no clue that the girl who always had a camera and smile with her everyday was actually an eighteen year old teenager living in an orphanage and came with a sad past.

There weren’t many who knew my story, who knew my past. Hell, Jessica didn’t even know everything about my days before my life with Rebecca and her family. Almost anything and everything revolving my dad still remains a secret to her, and I’d like to keep it that way for a while. It’s definitely not fair to her, when you think about it. Seeing as I know a big deal about her past and I’m here keeping her in the dark.

But there’s no way I can have a peaceful talk with Jessica about my loss of a childhood. The excessive scarring on my back isn’t the most ideal way to prove how happy I was as a kid, either.

* * *

Jessica pulled my jacket closer to her body as we neared the orphanage. “You’re not nervous about the girls knowing, are you?” I asked her.

“No, not really,” she answered, smiling. “I kinda already know how they’re going to react once they know.”

“Let me guess,” I began, swinging our hands back and forth. “If they approve, they’ll squeal like the little girls they are, and if they don’t approve, I’ll be suffocating under a mound of pillows.”

“In just thirty seconds flat,” Jessica confirmed playfully, leaning up to kiss my cheek. Being assaulted with pillows by the hands of children is definitely an actual form of punishment in Sylvia Ramona's Orphanage for Girls. It’s a hell lot better than the other punishments I’ve experienced, so I’ll take it.

“I’m back,” Jessica called when we entered, dropping her bag next to the doorway. The kids were scattered across the living room, in the midst of finishing their school work so they can head out back and play whatever games they’re interested in now. Darcy looked up from her paper, then dropped her gaze down to our connected hands. Instantly, a goofy grin spread across her face, proudly showing off the gap from a recent missing tooth.

“Hey,” Kristy greeted from the couch. She, too, dropped her eyes to our hands. Smirking, she placed her textbook down and looked at us expectantly. “Have you moved up from your point of friendship where holding hands is totally okay?” she asked, feigning innocence even though I was damn sure she already caught up. Darcy looked ready to combust where she sat on the floor.

“Actually . . .” Jessica trailed, leaning into my side with a pretty little smile.

“Ooo, ooo!” Darcy exclaimed, waving her hand wildly in the air. “Can I say it? Please!

I chuckled. “Okay, fi– “

“Reece and Jessica are dating!” she shouted before the remaining words can fall out of my mouth. There was a lot of awwing from the girls’ mouths, though, I’ll tell you that. Maybe that’s why Jessica wasn’t so against the idea of letting the girls in on our relationship status. What judgments can a handful of little girls make? Well, Kristy can continue her streak of judgements, but I’d like to think we’re on decent terms right now.

The blonde herself smiled mischievously and leaned down to whisper in Bella’s ear, who then dragged her butt over to Darcy to repeat the message. Her eyes lit up.

“Guys, come here,” she said to the others with a waving gesture for them to scoot in closer. A pointed look was shot our way, along with the words, “Don’t listen.”

I bent down to Jessica’s level and whispered, “What the fuck are they doing?”

She tsked, saying, “Language,” before adding simple shrug and smile she was trying to hide.

“Come with me,” Darcy ordered, pulling my arm towards the stairs. Everyone abandoned their schoolwork to follow us up the stairs and into the room Darcy shared with some of the girls. She pointed to one of the beds. “Lie down.”

“Excuse me?”

“Lie on the bed,” she repeated in an impatient, whiny voice, slapping her tiny hands on my stomach. “Do it!” she insisted. Sighing, I put my hands up in surrender and walked over to the bed. It was a small fit, clearly meant for Darcy’s small size rather than my tall height. But before I could say more, something slapped me in the face.

Something soft and big and familiar.

I actually thought I’d be safe  from this whole pillow assault thing.

“Get him!” Darcy shouted, slapping me with the pillow that had suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Multiple pillows smacked me from different directions before things way too fucking heavy to be a pillow started to collapse themselves on my body.

“What’s happening right now?” I groaned, struggling under the weight of several little bodies.

“We’re making sure you won’t be a Dean.” I barely heard Kristy’s response over the giggles of the girls, but she was definitely amused by this.

“Promise not to hurt Jessica!” Bella yelled, slapping the pillow currently pressed into my hipbone.

“Do you promise?” one of the girls asked, and I felt someone shift from where they were sitting on my knee.

Stopping my struggle to free myself, I huffed, legitimately surprised on how much the girls really cared for Jessica. I thought we were past the point of worrying that I’d “be a Dean,” but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to make sure.

Although, I’m pretty sure someone jumped on my balls at one point, which can hurt like a bitch.

“Yes, I promise,” I answered. “Now please let me out before I run out of oxygen.”

I took a big breath of air as the girls slid to the floor and I broke a hole through the thin wall of pillows. Jessica, who was such a great help, stood under the doorway, smiling down at her camera which I assumed now had pictures of me being pinned down by a bunch of six to ten year old girls.

Shaking my head at her, I turned and caught Darcy’s arms, pulling her towards the bed and causing her and the others to shriek hysterically. Jessica jumped out of the way as they ran out the door, Kristy laughing as she followed after them. I let Darcy struggle for a few seconds, my amusement growing with each second she moved helplessly around.

“Reece, let me go!” she whined. Letting her free, I chuckled and watched as she made a mad dash for the door. Jessica giggled and came to my side, holding a hand out for me.

“Under thirty seconds,” she repeated and smiled slyly. I returned that smile as I roughly tugged on her hand so she collapsed on the bed. Jessica squealed as I flipped our positions and pinned her on the bed, straddling her with my legs on each side.

“Your turn, sunshine,” I said quietly and kissed her smiling lips.

* * *

*** NOTE: NO REECE DID NOT QUOTE THAT SONG. the whole good girl line has been around much longer than that song has and i wasn't quoting the guys as i wrote that line down, though i do love their music **

One. Million. Views. You guys brought ATW up to one million views. Guys, that's literally insane and I love you guys so much <3 I know that was over two weeks ago, but it had really made up for a really stressful week. Plus, it's gotten another 100,000 more reads since I last updated, like wdf there's only 22 chapters. So thank you guys, I'm so glad that I'm able to share this story with you, and thank you for all your support and love. If you're reading up to this chapter, congrats because people seemed to be really pissed with Reece at the beginning lol. 

And remember what I said about sporadic updates? Yeah, you can see now. Normally I would have updated sooner, but my homework load has risen since last year and I'm legit so stressed about it right now. So please please please be patient with me guys (:

A bit of a fluffy chapter, but necessary. i really need to sleep now lol okay, ilyttmab and thank you so much for 1 million <3

-jesse xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 55 17
16-year-old Seraphina Vesper was completely content with her life. Being ahead in her grade she is perfectly college-bound and her unknown secret onl...
254K 13.1K 83
Emmet and Clay did not meet on the best of terms, but that doesn't stop them from becoming fast friends. As their bond grows stronger, they will do w...
258K 7.6K 31
I pull up outside of his house and I don't move, "Want me to stay here so you have a ride home?" She shakes her head, "No. I'll probably get a ride f...
3.1M 80.5K 44
Carter Miller is a 17 year old girl who started moving around with her mom when her dad died. They end up in her moms hometown for Carter to graduate...