In a Past Time (Tom Riddle x...

By Struggl1ng_Auth0r

It's my sixth year here at Hogwarts, the date is December 16th, 2023 and I'm in Hufflepuff house, (I was almo... More

Before the Travel
The Storms Beginning
Into The Storm
Abraxas My Friend
Jealousy?
Double-Sided Sticky Tape
Fly-Paper
Caught in the Trap
Friends - Old and New
Time Waits for No One
Important Notice: Dealing With COVID-19

What is He to Me?

5.8K 222 211
By Struggl1ng_Auth0r

I stare at my hand for what seems like the millionth time that week. What an unusual man... I think to myself, deep in memory of what had occurred just yesterday, and not paying attention to my surroundings as I was walking. Suddenly feel a blunt force as I smash directly into another person, my eyes shutting tight. I stumble, my right hand being quickly snagged, whilst I felt another hand snake around my waist. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I should have watched where I was-" Opening my eyes, I find myself face to face with Malfoy. "Oh, it's just you." His face twitched slightly, almost appearing hurt. Upon realizing the position that we are in I can feel a faint blush slowly appear across my cheeks. "Could you maybe let me go?" I ask him, trying to compose myself. Even if I don't have feelings for him, it's still embarrassing... 

"Right, of course." Malfoy agrees, also slightly shocked at his actions as he finishes helping me up from my position. "You should probably watch where you are going." He tells me in a tone that almost sounds like an order. "And yet you, who apparently were watching out, didn't move?" I tease, questioning him with a smirk. "Oh shut up (L/N)." Malfoy responds as he playfully punches me in the arm. "Hey, (L/N), I was wondering-"

"you were wondering?! Is that even possible?!" I ask, pretending to be shocked, giggling a little afterwards. Malfoy sighs, but continues his thought. "I was thinking that maybe you and I could hang out sometime?" My pretend shock dissipates and is replaced by its genuine counterpart. "What?" I ask him, almost deadpan. "I mean, you seem like you need friends. You haven't got any, have you?" I sigh, knowing that he may be right, but suddenly, I remembered. "Do I? because actually, I have one." I tell him matter-of-fact like. "Oh really," He starts, clearly disbelieving. "Yes, it's Tom Riddle. Know of him?" I ask, raising my right eyebrow. "Yeah, sure. You, (Y/n) (L/N), are friends with Tom Riddle, the Tom Riddle?" 

"Yes, ask him if you don't believe me." I tell him, wanting to leave this conversation. "Well sure," This dude just doesn't want to believe me, does he?  "You have Riddle, but that's only one friend. If you don't take this offer now, then you don't get another chance." Malfoy tells me, appearing almost hurt, as if he actually wants to be friends. "Fine." I state, "But only because you're the one who needs an actual friend." Although he doesn't smile, his eyes light up like a child on Christmas. "Good. Meet me at the library doors tomorrow at noon." 

"Really? But that's our break day..." I whine, acquiring a small chuckle from Malfoy. "Exactly, this way we don't have to worry about classes." I sigh, inwardly cursing myself for taking pity on him. "Alright, fine. Tomorrow at noon, the library." I repeat back to him before starting to walk away and without looking back, tell him a simple "See you tomorrow." Smiling to myself, I continue to walk down the halls to my final class of the day, Herbology. 

Sitting at my usual spot, sadly next to Malfoys, whom I'm surprised didn't follow me. Why isn't he here?  Asking myself as I fill with curiosity, staring at his empty seat. "My partner isn't here, it only makes sense." A smooth voice echoes in my ears from behind me as footsteps almost follow the words, delicate and light. "Riddle." I state before even having to see him. He sits down beside me. One look in his direction confirms my thoughts. "Of course, who else?" He asks smoothly, a charming smirk upon his lips. "And please, we're friends now, call me Tom." I think slightly, contemplating his words before coming to a conclusion. "Slow down there, Riddle." I say, locking eyes with him. "I'll call you Tom when I want to, for now, it's Riddle." A minuscule snarl crosses the corner of his lips before disappearing almost as soon as it had appeared. "Very well." He tells me, clearly annoyed with my choice. I sigh way too much. I think to myself as I sigh once again, turning towards Professor Sprout.

About halfway through the class I feel a soft poke on my arm, looking down I see a small piece of paper. "Meet me here at this time tomorrow." was written across it. I look up at Riddle, his face as stoic as always, his head still facing the front of the class. Under the first few words I read "Library, 11:30" I know I shouldn't since I've already made plans with Malfoy, so I nod it off and write on the back, passing it over to Riddle. "Sorry, I have plans at noon tomorrow." I send an apologetic look towards Riddle, not actually sorry. After Riddle and I make eye contact for a couple of seconds he looks back to the front. From then on class continues as boring as ever.

"Alright everybody, that's it for todays lesson! Remember to read up on chapter sixty-seven!"

As professor Sprout finishes dismissing the class Riddle turns and looks my way. "Then be in the common room by seven sharp." With that Tom walks away, leaving me flabbergasted. "But!" I try to catch his attention to no avail. 

Running after him I turn a corner and sigh before hearing a sharp. "Did you really think he would stop? Like, seriously. He's only the greatest guy in the school!" If only you knew, Princess... Some stupid fan-girl approaches me, a disgusted yet proud look upon her face. "Yeah, uh, sorry Hun, but I'm not interested in him. He's not that great, He's just a friend."

"Ha! Nobody can not be interested in him! He's, he's-" she seems to pause, looking for a word.

"Gross?"

"No!"

"Annoying?"

"No!"

"A jerkwad?"

"What? No!"

"A demon?"

"No! Wait! It starts with a 'D'!"

"Don't say your trying to call him dreamy! He's the complete opposite of that! Like... Nightmare-y."

The girl gasps then smiles like an idiot.

"Dreamy! Yes, that's it! If he was a nightmare, it would be the best one ever!"

You wouldn't say that if you knew what your future holds. What all of our futures hold. I try not to hold it against her, she's just a teenager. It's not like I can't relate to that on some level. There are definitely some celebrities that I would deem great. Personally though, I think the greatest guy is Albus. He's such a great friend. Way better than that snake.

"Yeah, sure. Look, can I go now?" Wanting to escape whatever the hell this conversation is, I try to request leave from it. If I just take off she'll start yelling at me... Releasing a sigh I look away from the girl for a moment before hearing a dreadful "Not unless you admit that Tom Riddle is the handsomest, dreamiest, hottest, smartest, most greatest guy in the world!"

"You have got to be fucking kidding me." I tell her, chuckling a bit. "Funny joke, can I go now?" Eyebrows furrowing she steps forward towards me, pointing her wand at my face. "That wasn't a joke! Hurry! Say it, now!" Is she a five year old?! She's pouting! "I'll cast the Cruci-" I interrupt her hurriedly. "If you say it, you'll cast it!" I practically yell in her face and she shuts up for a moment before continuing. "Well I'll cast the C word spell if you don't!"

What a shit fest. "Fine. What do I say?" Asking her for the exact thing to say would be best, then I could just repeat it, no harm done. "Say what I told you before!" I shoot a questioning glare at her before she repeats herself. "Tom Riddle is the handsomest, dreamiest, hottest, smartest, most greatest guy in the world!" Another sigh leaves my lips before in the most monochrome, dead inside, hateful voice leaves me and I repeat her words. "Tom Riddle is the handsomest, dreamiest, hottest, smartest, most greatest guy in the world."

"Gee, (Y/N), you could at least try to say it like you mean it~." As Riddles voice slips its way through my ears I can feel my face flush a tint of pink. The girl in front of me has a face of shock and disbelief upon her face, her mouth slightly agape. "And you." His voice grows quiet and still, as though they were the only two people there. A voice that although sounded low and calm to people of this time, would terrify anybody from my era. The voice of Voldemort, just before he strikes. The low volume pierces my ears as I fear for this girls life, knowing the last time that I heard it, my parents were killed. Tears prickle my eyes as I fight them mercilessly back. 

Stepping forward the girl blushes slightly, not yet knowing the danger of that tone. She has no idea what he might do to her, neither do I for that matter. He has all of the spells in the world at his disposal. He opens his mouth to speak and I can see his hand reaching for his wand from his waist. "Who told you that you could threaten her like that? ESPECIALLY with that spell?!" Even though his voice grew slightly on a single word his voice remains low. No matter what decade, time or place I am in, I will never understand how he keeps himself truly that terrifying without shouting in a booming voice. His low growls are more than enough to make anybody in my time cower and hide. The girl has stopped blushing and her shocked expression and faint smile has disappeared as well. I'm not quite sure if it is the sudden word or the thought that he might actually care for me, which scares me too if that's the case, but something inside of her ignited the fight or flight response. This dumb girl chose fight.

"Are you trying to scare me Tommy-poo~?" She flutters her eyelashes, still not having seen the wand now grasped tightly within his hand, surprisingly not breaking at the grip. "I like it~." Useless flirting spills from her lips as she desperately trys to get his attention away from whatever is happening at the moment. Flashes of memories from my parents throwing me into my room and whispering "Deletrius", the door erasing itself from the world. Fear runs through my veins as panic sets in, my breathing increasing in speed as it gets harder to take in breaths. I can't have a panic attack now! I think, trying to calm myself down and escape my frozen place where I stand in horror.

After I finish composing myself I suddenly come to my senses and see a curse about to spread, the girl quivering in fear. Anything could happen to her and it would be all my fault. She isn't supposed to die! Not yet at least! She should have a life past this! Without thinking I call out the first thing that comes to mind, not thinking before I speak. 

"Tom!" I shout out, causing him to freeze in his place and turn around in one fowl swoop. Although surprised that his name is the first thing to come to my mind I nod it off as just being because he was the one causing the fear inside me. "Can we please just go? I'm okay." As he looks at me I can feel his gaze as he stares intensely. It takes me a moment before I realize that a couple of tears had slipped down my cheeks and I quickly wipe them away. Tom takes a few steps forward until he is directly in front of me, our eyes not leaving their locked stations on each other.

"I find that difficult to believe." Riddles voice is full of care and worry. Unusually enough that nearly scares me more. I can see why, he saw the tears. " I just-" I start before taking in a sharp breath, trying to hold back any more tears from falling. "This just reminded me of something. She didn't hurt me." Tom freezes at my words, right hand almost cupping my cheek. 

"So it was me that hurt you." Riddles voice goes deadpan, not the tone he just had, but more of one that displays something else. What is it? Thinking about what could be in his voice confuses me and I look away from him for a moment before glancing back. "I wouldn't say it was you, just the scene. Look, if it was you I wouldn't ask if we could go, right?" I want to salvage this stupid girls life by taking him away. She hasn't yet left and I'm not sure if it's because of fear for her life, or awe of how caring he is seeming after almost hurting or possibly killing her. Maybe both? or maybe it's because it's me he's being nice to. Who knows? I finish my thought with simply nodding it off and re-focusing on Tom.

He doesn't move, just looks at me confused before his hand moves slightly and although I don't know why, something inside of me makes me cock my head to the left a tad, causing Riddles hand to cup my cheek. The two of us just stood there, our brows slightly furrowed, bodies barely an inch apart. The only thing shaking us from our thoughts is the echoing of footsteps running away. 

Riddle jerks his hand off of my cheek, almost making it seem that he was unaware of his actions. Toms head flies around in the direction of the girl finally running away as he says "Silencio." under his breath. Rendering the poor girl speechless without her even realizing it. Turning his head back towards me he notices my furrowed brows and slight frown. 

"She can't go untouched. She wronged you. It's not like it can't be fixed by anther magic user." Although I don't like that he took her voice from her I was pleasantly surprised at his choice in spells. Something that would scare her, but is not permanent. I'm sure if anybody asks if it was him who did it he has me as a witness to say no. Sure of what I can only assume to be the reason for his actions my brows unfurrow and I nod a couple of times.

"Thank you." Yes, it may have been in a strange way, but he still stood up for me, which is nice. "Don't. You shouldn't have to." Slightly confused yet oddly pleased with his words I let a small smile cross my lips. "Now, what could you have remembered that would make you that upset?" Just as quickly as he made my smile, he ripped it away. "I-I don't want to talk about it right now. Maybe later." Just the thought of the past rushing up behind me hurt. Past? It's my inevitable future now... The thoughts processing in my mind are running wild, screaming and crying. Feeling a headache start to grow I turn away from him.

"Alright. Where to?"

"What?" I ask him, confused at his question. "You asked me if we could go. Go where?" Oh, that makes sense. Almost forgot. Mentally slapping myself for giving that girl a break I quickly think of something. "If you don't have anything planned, would you mind just telling me now what you want to tell me tomorrow?"

The processing of my question is evident in his eyes as he looks at me. "I had prior engagements today, but I might be able to, seeing as you think oh so highly of me." Referring back to the previous incident his teasing doesn't quite reach me as I just laugh at his words. "Oh so highly!" I repeat back with a goofy grin spreading across my lips. Almost as though contagious, a tiny smile spreads onto Toms face as well, whether it is real or not I am unsure.

---------------------

You! Yes you, Reader! Thank you. Without you this story wouldn't continue on being made. It means so much to me that you are enjoying this story! I hope that future chapters don't let you down. I'm sorry this took so long, but I hope that you enjoyed it! I've got some mighty ideas! Some things might be obvious, others not. 

If it wasn't clear enough in the story you are confused at your unusual actions and feelings towards Tom, despite how small they may seem. That is why after he suddenly appears you start to fluctuate between "Tom" and "Riddle". I hope this explains it, thank you so much again!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 11 18
You have been kidnapped by Lord Voldemort and lost everything. You have been taken away from your loving boyfriend Draco Malfoy, your friends and you...
556K 17.5K 45
Have you ever wondered what life at Hogwarts was really like for Tom Riddle, known by his darker moniker Lord Voldemort? How did he manage juggling...
9.2K 415 45
EDITING IN PROGRESS. Underage magic, two dark spells, it won't be long before the ministry hunts her down. Hermione Granger, previously mudblood scum...
318K 8.1K 89
~Tom Riddle X Reader Story~ (Y/N) wasn't too excited to start her last year of Hogwarts, she has a hard time getting along with anyone there, especia...