I Was Joking

By chloeh928

"Boss, the test is a match." "Oh come on, Fri. Not you too.", Tony jokingly pleaded, smirking at Rhodey. "I... More

Fun and Games
Look Familiar?
Most Important Meal
Uhh....Surprise?
"WHAT THE FU-"
Have A Seat
Another Walk About
IIIIIII'm About To Whip-
Internet Safety
Family Bonding
Baby Stark doo doo doodoo doodoo
BET!
Surprisingly, Talking does Help.
Dad Club Group Chat
Which way do I swing? I don't know, I don't play baseball.
Well Alrighty Then
A/N: Tagged
B-Baka!!
We'll Be Right Back
Mama Stark doo doo doodoo doodoo
Fun Sized!!
Can We Talk About Something Else?
I Hate/Love This Family.
Can of Worms
Yes. Definitely. Absolutely. (Not)
Here Comes The Bride
Spooder-Man
DADDY STARK DOO DOO DOODOODOODOO
2 #9s, #9 Large, #6 with Extra Dip, #7, 2 #45s One With Cheese, and A Large Soda
If I Could Begin To Be
Second Star To The Right
There's Nothing Like Summer In The City
What You Gonna Do When The Chips Are Down?
Check Michelle, Choose Michelle, Vote for Michelle Jones
Grandma Stark doo doo doodoo doodoo
Grandpa Stark doo doo doodoo doodoo
No, I'm Not Crying. It's Just...Allergies.
Whoops! Wrong Chat. How y'all doin'?
It Doesn't Matter If You're By Me or Across The Country; I'm There For You

Could you just--stop growing up?

5K 225 158
By chloeh928

"Morgan.", Pepper huffed in annoyance. "Can you please keep your shoes on?", she asked, becoming increasingly impatient. They were late enough as is. "You need to look your best today for Peter. It's really important."

"Pe'er?", the baby asked, suddenly stopping her fussing. She looked around with a tilted head. "Bubba?" Pepper nodded, taking the opportunity of her being distracted. "That's who we're going to see. As soon as you get on your shoes.", the mother said, fastening the velcro on Morgan's shoes before picking her up immediately after. The woman made a hefty pace to the car, bouncing Morgan to distract her. "Got the bag?", she asked Tony, who was waiting in the kitchen.

"Yep.", he nodded, grabbing it and following behind them. At this point, their child had realized she had been foiled and began to express her displeasure in the only way she was familiar with: kicking, crying, and screaming.

"I know, luce stellare, I know. Mama's being so mean. Making you wear those things.", Tony comforted, ignoring the pointed glare from Pepper. He unlocked one of his less conspicuous cars, where one of Morgan's car seats already were. Pepper tried to lull their daughter while buckling her up, with minimal success. The child's tears only lessened slightly before increasing as her mother went into the front seat. "Here's hoping she sleeps through most of it.", she muttered. "I hear ya.", Tony responded, pulling their car onto the road.

In most situations, the couple would have allowed Morgan to forego the footwear that she had decided that she hated with an ever-burning passion; but today was not like most occasions. Today, Peter was graduating.

After deciding his college, Peter just seemed to take the rest of his school year in stride. He and his friends hung out together more often than ever before, especially after learning that Ned was on his way to Cornell for Computer Science, and MJ was heading on a full-ride scholarship to Northwestern University for Investigative Journalism. After sticking together like glue for the past couple of years, the gang was disbanding. Of course, that wasn't going to stop them from making memories over the summer. Next week, all four of them are going on a road/backpacking trip to California. ("So, it has come to our attention that nobody has any idea what they're doing. If we don't come back, I blame Ned." "Why?" "He's the one who suggested this.") All of them are extremely excited, last he heard.

When the man got up that morning, it took everything in him to not bawl his eyes out from pride, happiness, or a severe case of empty nest syndrome. He had done pretty well until May called. Then they both broke.

Tony glanced at the little girl who had fallen asleep in the back seat. He doesn't even want to think about the wreck he'll be when it's her turn.

The man took a deep breath to calm himself, although he was sure Peter was far more emotional right now. Probably squirming in his seat, mentally rehearsing his speech for the ten-thousandth time. He's put a lot of effort into it, but wouldn't let anyone else see. Still more effort than what Tony would've done.

When the parents and their sound-asleep child got to the auditorium, they were quickly waved over by May and Happy, who had already taken their seats by the front. The closer they had gotten, more of the others started becoming visible. Much like the teen's birthday party, everyone was here, talking amongst each other as they waited for the ceremony to begin. Which, as soon as the Starks had gotten to their seats, did.

Whenever Peter—donned with his cap and gown—noticed them in the procession, he excitedly waved to all of them, getting the same gesture in return. Anyone could see that he was off the walls in excitement. As he should be, Tony thought. You only graduate from high school once.

The pledges were said, and everyone sat down. Principal Morita gave a short and sweet introduction, before glancing back at whatever was on his podium and announced, "And, for our class's Valedictorian speech, I present, Peter Parker-Stark."

As his son took the stage, Tony saw him laugh slightly at the exuberant cheering coming from his row. Before beginning, he tilted away from the microphone to clear his throat and tell the group he calls his family to calm down. If the man had glanced over, he would have seen Morgan quietly wake up at the mention of her big brother's name.

"Alright. Hi, everyone.", he sheepishly waved, getting a few in return. Looking around at his audience, the teen took a deep breath away from the camera before glancing back at his flash cards and continuing.

"I would first like to thank a few people. Firstly, all of you for coming to witness such an important milestone for us. Secondly, to the administration for presenting me with the opportunity to speak here today. And finally, to all of the teachers who have helped guide us to where we are today. More often than not, it seems, they don't get nearly enough credit for the work of putting up with around 150 stubborn, stupid teenagers every day for nearly an entire year. So, this is my way of giving credit to them.

While I'm on the subject, I might as well recognize all of the people who do not get nearly enough admiration for the level of impact that they have on us. The custodians, the cafeteria workers, the counselors, and the nurses. All of these wonderful people, who work hard every day, only to be put on the sidelines when credit is given. Though, I'm sure all of us can attest to their valiant efforts and their successes.

Whenever I was trying to make the speech, some--well, ok, most--of the examples I had found described graduation as the closing and opening of chapters. And while I can see where their point is coming from, I also find it a little cliche.

From the knowledge I have gained through watching movies like Legally Blonde, Drumline and High School Musical 3, I have decided that a more accurate equivalent to graduating and moving onward would be a baby bird learning to fly for the first time, or as Seymour O'Reilly used for his senior quote, 'What do you mean tutorial over?'. Whenever those birds take that leap of faith, they get their first exposure to the dangers of the world, where their mother or father cannot protect them anymore. But if taught properly, those birds fly and live a perfectly normal and healthy life. They learn, they adapt, and more often than not, they survive. Despite any of the changings in their surroundings.

Because the world is changing. More in the past, eleven, twelve years or so than ever. We live in a world that people twenty years ago would have considered science fiction. And we, as the supposed generation of the future, are expected to adapt to all of it amid even more changes. From what I've heard through all of the adults I spoke to when writing this, it's tough. But, I think we'll survive.

Why? One may ask. Because, as a project, the Midtown High Robotics Club researched and created smoother prosthetic movements. Because, as a result of an extensive research report done by the School News team, a campaign has begun sweeping throughout the country to expand and improve mental health education in America. Because of the several volunteer opportunities that have been done by our NHS, organizations like FEAST and Robin Hood have received more volunteers, growth, and results than in the last ten years. And, most importantly, it's because we, as a generation, are stubborn as all hell. No number of blows or breaks can keep us down for more than a day. If people want to take us down, set us into a trap, then they'll have to try a little harder than that. Because we'll find loopholes or solutions just as quickly.

For decades now, people have said that we need to improve the world for the 'children of tomorrow'. Now, that's great and all, but MJ can testify that the consequences from that line of thinking may not have been the most optimal. So, Class of 2020, I say that we take our diploma, walk out those doors for the final time, and make a world for us. We take charge, instead of placing the hope and therefore blame on the supposed children of tomorrow. We adapt, taking the reigns of the changes to come and steering them to benefit everyone. We take the giant leap of mankind and we use it to soar. We make a better world for us and hope that the ones behind follow in their way.

I was told I should use some sort of quote as an ending, but I really couldn't come up with anything on my own. So, I managed to track down New York's friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, who I believe is a perfect example of people taking our changing world and making it better, and while he couldn't come today to tell you this himself, despite my incessant begging, he told me this:

'Instead of walking the road less traveled, because I'm sure at this point it's as traveled and worn in as any of the other roads, go and make a new one path that's all your own.'

With that being said, Midtown School of Science and Technology's Class of 2020, I hope that we all shall go out and fly, thrive, and make the world adapt to us. Thank you."

Moving past the podium, Peter gave a slight bow and waved as he went back to his seat. The level of applause that arose from the auditorium gave him a slight chuckle and big smile. Tony watched him with a proud expression and started clapping loudly, which initiated an unofficial competition between him and May about who could show the most parental support. They got so loud that they startled Morgan into near tears.

After a few more words from the principal, the giving of the diplomas began. He could tell just from watching that every student who walked across the stage was buzzing with excitement. Even MJ, as she collected her folder and shook select teachers hands and moved with all the dignity and sophistication of the President of the United States. Or Ned, as he nearly tripped on stage because he was moving quickly with his shoes untied.

While watching all these students, Tony couldn't help but drift into the memory of his own graduation. All that he could remember from the event is that he was bored the entire time; he was forced into going and improvised his entire Valedictorian speech. And that there were cameras. Lots of cameras. As per f*cking usual.

Whenever Peter's name was called, despite the fact that applause was supposed to be withheld until the end, got another roaring cheer from nearly everyone. From the students, who started chanting his name after his group of friends started it; the teachers, whom all held melancholic looks in their eyes as they shook the teen's hand. And the Avengers, earth's mightiest heroes, who were rowdily showing their pride for their best unofficial member. May was too busy taking photos of her boy to join in on the applause.

The students eventually finished, moved the tassel from right to left, and a farewell was given to the students by the staff.

And just like that, it was over.

Peter had graduated from high school.

God, Tony was honestly about to cry from the thought alone.

The man opted to hold it in for as long as possible instead, getting up and leaving with the rest to meet up with Peter. It only took a moment to do so, as he was exchanging hugs and congrats with his friends. "There he is!", Clint shouted, running over to grab the teen. He made his appearance known by sneaking up from behind and moving to take off the cap before May shouted, "You better not mess his hair up before pictures!" Barton immediately decided against it, moving to grab Peter by the arm instead.

"I don't remember reading that Spider-Man bit when I proofread your cards.", Tony commented with a fond smile. "Yeah, well. When have we ever stuck to the cards?", Peter remarked, causing his old man to breathe a laugh. "Here here.", Pepper responded as she hoisted Morgan up. The young girl started reaching for her brother the second she laid eyes on him. "Pe'er! Pe'er!", she squealed with excitement. The young adult mimicked her excited smile as he positioned her on the hip.

May, softly smiling, took out her bulky camera and snapped a photo of the two looking at each other with a smile. Pepper looked over her shoulder, simply remarking, "That's getting framed. In my office. For all the world to see." The two women laughed while agreeing with each other before getting the group to move to a shadier place for pictures. They were lucky with that one, but the glare from the sun was going to get bad soon.

"Now one with May.", Steve prompted, taking the camera from the woman with a kind smile. Ms. Parker echoed it in return, moving towards her nephew to envelop him in a bear hug. She gave him a kiss on the cheek when the camera snapped a photo of the two.

The next half hour was full of hugs, laughter, and lots and lots of pictures. Some with the Starks, a few with May, at least five of everyone, and they managed to flag down his friends long enough to take a couple of pictures of them together. Once everyone agreed that was enough, they all moved to their own vehicles to take the party to the compound. Peter chose to ride with May, so the two buckled up in her car and pulled out of the driveway.

Once they moved out of the city traffic, May had a heavy sigh. "I love you. So much. I'm so proud of you.", she said, in a far off thought. "...May? Is something up?", Peter asked in a concerned tone. His aunt just gave a hearty laugh. "Yes something's up. My only baby just graduated is what's up. I'm in the middle of an empty nest meltdown and you're not even gone yet!", the woman exclaimed, picking up a loose tissue to wipe away the coming tears. "No, not 'till August.", her nephew remarked with a cheeky smile. "Oh! Don't say that!", May responded with feigned drama.

After a moment of laughter, Peter asked in a quiet voice, "You... gonna be alright? Without me there?" May quickly responded to the question with a nod. "I'll live for the days you visit, but yes. I'm a tough girl. I can handle myself." After she answered, she turned to look at the boy she raised with a soft, kind, though far off smile. "Ben would be really proud of you. Of the man you've become. Always has been, always will be. You know that?"

Peter, choked up on tears, simply nodded. "I kinda wished he could've come.", he admitted, wiping away the drops that fell down his cheeks. "I know. I did too. Part of the reason I cried so hard this morning. But, I'm sure he's watching us, smiling like he would every morning." "Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure.", he agreed, briskly nodding as he recomposed himself. May slowly nodded, gaze turning back towards the road.

"Now, we got a bit of a drive ahead of us, so you go ahead and get some sleep, young man. I can see the bags under your eyes taking shape.", she remarked while her eyes were on the road.

Peter gave her an airy chuckle, turning over in his seat while he yawned out a "Yes ma'am." before drifting off.

*So, I just learned that Tony Stark owns Area 51. And for making the first credits scene of FFH, the theory that Marvel has no heart has been confirmed but we all knew that.

As y'all might have noticed, this book has a much better looking cover. The credit for that goes to the lovely mischieff_.*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

692K 19.3K 150
Y/n Stark Secret Daughter of the in famous Tony Stark, Living your life as a secret was all fun and games until you got into some trouble with some c...
811K 17.4K 78
Contains: -Irondad and Spiderson -Fluff -Negligible angst -Field trips -Identity reveals -Internships and most importantly -FUNNY DISCLAIMERS I FINAL...
452 21 7
Some Irondad and Spiderson One-Shots! :D Request are open so don't be afraid to comment! :) Thanks for the vote! I don't own Marvel and mostly likely...
1.5M 45.6K 61
A bunch of oneshots featuring Irondad and Spiderson. This is not Starker. Requests are closed. Happy reading! Cover by @Tanisha_Tabassum