NYMPH - Thorin Oakenshield

By 3astWatch

One of the last of her kind, Nixie, is ruthlessly hunted by orcs, goblins and dark forces alike - fearing for... More

CAST
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

CHAPTER THREE

2.7K 113 2
By 3astWatch

CHAPTER THREE - "That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates?"

AFTER HAVING A FEAST OF HER OWN, Nixie was completely stuffed - the Dwarves were right, Bilbo Baggins' food was delicious. By far, it was the best thing she had ever tasted in forever. Sure, Nixie didn't mind the nutritious, healthy diet of the Rivendell Elves - but, they were Vegetarians and meat was something Nixie had craved. Even the Dwarves couldn't believe how much the petite Woman had eaten; they were pretty convinced she had eaten more than Bombur! And that was a true Challenge; possibly even harder than reclaiming Erebor. 

Though finally being finished, Nixie wandered out into the hallway with a plateful of food - she hadn't seen Bilbo eating with them; so naturally, she assumed that he hadn't. Bilbo was quite neatly tucked away in the other room, clearly quite content with his singular scone; that had neither jam or cream on it - something Nixie found a true, mortal sin. Barely without words, Nixie had handed him the plate and received a small thank-you in reply; that was enough for Nixie. 

When Nixie took her seat, though Dori was the one who was supposed to be getting Nixie her drink - it was Fili who returned with Ales for all. "Who wants an ale?" inquired Fili loudly, without grace - he plonked his booted feet on the dining table; Nixie raised her hand, shouting a loud 'aye', as a yes. Fili was swift to give her an ale, smiling with delight; as she grabbed the large mug defensively. Just as Nixie went to drink it, Fili interupted her from the other, opposite end of the table, "Not yet Lass!"

Bofur, the Dwarf in the hat leant forward, so did the others - with their ale in hand. Nixie copied quite quickly, already getting the idea of what was about to happen. "Ale on the count of three!" cheered Bofur, they all clinked their mugs together, including Nixie, who was already being accepted without hesitation into the Company.

"One..." 

"Two..."

"Three..."

For the first time, since the Dwarves came to Bilbo Baggins' Hobbit-hole - it was silent, except for the glugging of ale. Nixie was determined; she wanted to be the first one to finish her mug. Nixie lugged the ale into the back of her throat, at first it burned; it was her first non-wine alcoholic beverage for a long time - however, she eased into it. Ferociously, Nixie slammed the mug down onto the table; only a mere second faster than Dwalin; she cheered for herself, as did Kili and Fili. 

Then as soon as the other Dwarves finished, it was Nori - the Dwarf with star-like hair to let out the first loud belch. Nixie giggled and the other Dwarves roared with laughter, whilst Gandalf who looked seriously unimpressed in his own corner. Ori the youngest Dwarf, stood up, whilst the room went silent as all eyes fell upon him - he let out an even longer burp! Bofur cheered once again, "I knew I had it in ya!" he yelled in glee. 

All the while, Bilbo Baggins stood in the pantry holding his now empty plate looking more unimpressed the Gandalf (if that was possible). One by one, the Dwarves began filing out of the Dining Room as Bilbo chased furiously behind them snatching a doily from Nori. "Excuse me!" Bilbo bellowed, "that is a doily, not a dishcloth," the Hobbit growled, snatching it away from the Dwarf.

Bofur stood by the fire, as Nixie watched, thoroughly amused. The Dwarf was once again drinking another mug of ale, as was Nixie. "But it's full of holes!" he exclaimed, very confused. 

"It's supposed to like that, it's crochet!"

"And a wonderful game it is too if you've got the balls for it!" at this, Nixie laughed loudly, spitting out her ale - all over poor, Mr Bilbo Baggins. Nixie apologised, before wiping her mouth with the sleeve of her top and retreating back to the Dining Room - instead of sitting next to the Gandalf, she slotted herself in by Fili and Kili; in which very graciously welcomed her into their company. 

The trio chatted quite happily until they watched with the utmost curiosity of Ori excusing himself and scurrying off out into the hallway; to politely ask Bilbo what to do with his plate. The two Dwarven brothers mischievously looked at each other, they grinned - getting the exact same idea as the other. Together they managed to tug Nixie into the hallway and they positioned themselves an equal distance away from each other, Nixie being the one in the middle.

"Give us it 'ere Ori," Fili exclaimed, snatching the plate from Ori and flung it as fast and hard as he could at Nixie. Nixie easily caught it; swinging it backwards where Kili caught it and passed it back to Bifur. 

Another plate was thrown, "Put that back!" Bilbo boomed. 

And another, "Excuse me!" 

Two plates at once, "That's my mother's West Farthing Pottery!"

"It's over a hundred years old!" Biblo cried shrilly, in a squeaky high pitched tone as another plate was agilely thrown. 

The remaining Dwarves in the Dining Room began to stop their feet on the floor in a rhythmic tune, slamming the knives and the forks into the wood of the most likely ancient table. "And can you not do that, you'll blunt them!" 

Bofur spoke up, "You 'ear that lads, we'll blunt the knives" he cried, an amused look on his face. Then it started, the most comedic piece of whole-hearted music she had ever heard. 

Kili started the tune, "Blunt the knives, bend the forks!" catching once again, another plate. 

Fili continued on, "Smash the bottles and burn the corks!" it looked like he was dancing as he struggled to keep up with the speed of the plates being battered at him. Nixie responded to catching them rather sporadically. 

"Chip the glasses and crack the plates!"

Everyone looked at her expectantly to finish the verse of the song, a very quizzical musical note came from her lips, "That's what Bilbo Baggins hates?" Nixie chimed melodically. 

"Cut the cloth, tread on the fat!"

"Leave the bones on the bedroom mat!"

"Pour the milk on the pantry floor!"

"Splash the wine on every door!"

"Dump the crocks in a boiling bowl!"

"Pound them up with a thumping poll!"

"When you're finished, if they are whole!"

"Send them down the hall to roll!"

"That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!" 

As if by magic, the plates had all been washed and stacked. No thanks to all of the Dwarves and the Nymphs help, Fili and Kili both had one of their arms wrapped securely around Nixie's shoulder; all three drinking ale and laughing heartily in the corner as they saw Bilbo's face as he entered the room - with nothing broken. All of the Company were laughing at him; it was rather hilarious to see his little face - it was a picture. 

The laughter died when two, loud knocks were heard at the door of the Hobbit-hole. "He is here," Gandalf stated. All of the dwarves, as well as Nixie,  crept towards the door; apart from Nixie and Bilbo, everyone knew who was behind it. The door opened and there Nixie saw him for the first time: The King Under the Mountain; The King Without a Crown. 

Upon seeing him, it was no secret that he was related to Kili and Fili. Thorin Oakenshield seemingly shared the same handsome genes of his two nephews, though he had the exact same night-black hair as Kili, except his had small silver hairs fraying at the edges. His face was extremely handsome and the most appealing to Nixie, he also had a short, gruff black beard that suited his strong jaw very well. But, it was the King's eyes that Nixie was most attracted too - they were a beautiful deep blue, that reminded Nixie of her home and her family and friends; his eyes were perfect. 

"Gandalf," Thorin greeted the tall, Grey Wizard - nodding at him. He stepped through the threshold, examining his surroundings, "I thought you said this place would be easy to find," the Dwarf Lord huffed, "I lost my way twice." 

The Water Nymph couldn't help but snort at that, catching the attention of the mighty Thorin Oakenshield. "I do apologise for my childish behaviour, Master Dwarf," Nixie apologised, bowing her solemnly, still stilly smirking. 

Thorin continued regardless of the apology, remembering to bring it up later. "I wouldn't of found it all, if it wasn't for that mark on the door," the Dwarf Lord admitted, taking off his cloak and practically threw it at Bilbo.

"Mark?" Bilbo hissed confused, marching out to inspect the door. "There is no mark on that door, I assure you," Bilbo said genuinely convinced, whilst Thorin smirked sideways and the Hobbit. "It was painted a week ago!" he cried.

Gandalf cringed slightly, "There is a mark," he blankly and honestly stated. "I put it there myself," the Wizard continued on, "Bilbo, allow me to introduce the leader of our Company, Thorin Oakenshield." 

"So," Thorin inquired, "This is the Hobbit." He looked Bilbo up and down, under his cold gaze, "Tell me, Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?" 

"Pardon me?" 

"Axe or Sword?" Thorin asked, whilst Nixie inwardly scoffed; it didn't take a genius to work out that Bilbo Baggins couldn't fight to save his life. Thorin was just purposely humiliating him, "What's your weapon of choice?"

"Well," Bilbo started, "I do have some skill at conkers if you must know," Bilbo arched an eyebrow as he watched the mighty Dwarf Lord circle him like a dragon that was hungry for gold, "But, I fail to see why that is relevant." 

"Thought as much,"  Thorin merely said. Suddenly, his gaze fell on Nixie again - he wanted to know who this woman was; Gandalf made no mention of a woman joining them. Besides what good could a woman do anyway? "Who are you?" snapped the Dwarf Lord, furrowing his eyebrows and staring at the Nymph, "Why are you here?" Thorin stepped forwards, glowering down at her. He noticed the moor he looked at her, the more he noticed the pale blue tone of her skin.

The shorter woman stepped forwards, causing Thorin to step backwards slightly. "You can call me Nixie, Thorin Oakenshield," Nixie, slightly nervous, introduced herself - looking upwards to talk to the Dwarf that did indeed intimidate her. "I am here to assist in retaking Erebor, Master Dwarf," she continued, "Gandalf thought that I would be a good asset to the Company."

"Thorin," Balin said, walking forwards and placing a hand cautiously, "Let us all have a sit-down, I saved you some food, as well." 

Reluctantly, Thorin left Nixie alone and the Nymph jumped when the two Dwarf Prince's swung one of each of their arms around her shoulders. "He'll warm up to you eventually, Nix," Kili said, as Fili nodded in agreement. Nixie cocked an eyebrow at the nickname but didn't question it. 

"He just hasn't had the most pleasant few years, that's all," Fili explained, "Having a dragon claim your Kingdom must be tough," he sighed, fiddling with his braided moustache with one hand. 

The Water Nymph smiled hoping that they were right, "Cheer up Princess! I'll get you an ale," Kili tried to cheer her up, dashing off to find ale; if any was left. Politely Fili walked her to her new seat, which was between the two Prince's. 

Now, that was what Thorin Oakenshield had heard. The Dwarf King was now intrigued, his nephew had said, Princess. It was either a pet name or a title; Thorin just wanted to know which one. If this, Nixie, was of Royal Blood? Who were her people? Why had he never heard of her beforehand? That's when Thorin finally pieced it together, with pale blue skin, white hair and intense deep blue eyes - he realised, this was the last Water Nymph on Middle-Earth, yet alone the Princess of an extinct race. 

A/N: If you wouldn't mind showing support by giving the story a vote, it'd be much appreciated x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 84 29
Twenty years have passed since Erebor was recaptured. Kili and Malia lead a quiet life until one day a messenger from Rivendell comes. They both join...
313K 11.7K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...
197 24 22
Following the Battle of the Five Armies, a seriously wounded Thorin Oakenshield returns to Erebor to recuperate and eventually ascend the throne as k...
29.1K 896 10
In the next part of our story, the company of Thorin Oakenshield rush across Middle-Earth in order to get to the Lonely Mountain by Durin's Day. (Y/n...