Malibongwe

By NJeffords3069

This is a journal I wrote while I was on a week long mission trip in South Africa. You'll read stories about... More

Prologue
Days One-Three
Day Four
Day Five
Day Six
Day Seven
Day Eight
Day Ten
Day Eleven
Day Twelve
Day Thirteen
Day Fourteen
Day Fifteen
Epilogue

Day Nine

42 3 0
By NJeffords3069

Wednesday July 4th, 2018

Hebrews 12:1-2: (Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was setbefore him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.)

     Today started like most mornings except my abs hurt from laughing at Mike & Jon and their commentary while cleaning dishes last night from bible club. In this conversation, they would tell us about how they found "chunks" of unknown food stuck in between cups, and how mold had begun to grown on the food, and how "unsanitary" it was. I don't think I will be able to have a grown-up conversation with them for a while.

     As we arrived at Moletsane and the team is I believe, becoming more confident in entering and being in Soweto. The kids too are becoming more comfortable around us, but with that comfort as I've seen many times in Awana, comes push back from the kids in seeing how much they can get away with. Thankfully our group collectively knows how to handle situations when we get push back from them, and how to love and instruct them through it. And we must always act in love especially when we are tiredand dealing with different types of difficult interactions.

     The kids have gotten more into worship which is great! Ryan did a great job in teaching time, in my small group almost all my kids asked questions and can recite their verses which is great to see and be a part of helping them learn. I just pray what we do, say, and teach them will one day produce fruit in their lives.

     We then split into two groups like usual, one team to crafts and the other went outside to games, the blue team had crafts first which was quite enjoyable to help the kids, we helped them make crowns, which represents Jesus and how He is Lord of our lives. We began the craft by measuring each little head and stapled their crown to the correct circle size. The kids then each went to different pews with their crowns and picked out different jewels and sparkly additions to glue on their crowns.

     Game time was a bit hectic. We played bandana dance where each child was given a bandana which they had to put in their pocket then run and try to grab everyone else's before theirs was picked out of their pocket. Unfortunately, there was a bit of tugging, arguing, and fighting during the game. I will admit I was reaching the end of my patience with a few of them, but I must remember that these kids are sinners and their sin was coming out just like mine does and I have to be ready to forgive and love them through it instead of seeking justice or more like my skewed view of justice. Thankfully Uncle Jon was there to help me get everything going and back on track.

     After HBC had concluded the team took time to help clean up from craft time, but as I look at the floor and see sparkly gems and glitter all over the church carpet; I believe that we have a lot of work ahead of us because a few of the kids were very liberal with the jewels and other shiny things from craft time and scattered them about while working. Hopefully we can clean it up most of it this afternoon, if not this Friday.

     We took some time after that to rest and spend some time with Pastor Sammy's wife, Itu and their children. Reitumetse was on me like glue, like literally stuck to me, hands wrapped around my leg. She begging me for me to put my hat on her head. It was like a game to her, I put my hat on her head she says nothing, but the moment I move it or take it off, and I'm bombarded with,

     "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!?"

     "May I have your hat, please?"

     She is adorable, but she can be a little much at times. I don't know, maybe God is using this to get me used to becoming a father one day? Thankfully Auntie Shannon was there to distract her for a while and give me a few minutes to unwind.

     The team then left Soweto and made our way to Onthatile. Joel let us know we'd be going to the botanical garden. The best part of going to the gardens was experiencing Jon and his first time driving in South Africa!

     Joel loaded his four younger kids in his car while he tossed his van keys to Jon, which he accepted reluctantly. We then squeezed thirteen people into the van and we were off! I sat up front with Jon and Joel's daughter, Brynn. We were almost out of the driveway when the passenger side mirror went "CRUNCH!" against a light pole. Suffice to say, fear gripped the entire van. While we made our way down the street, a pedestrian saw Jon cruising close to the curb and immediately ran up the embankment from the curb. As we were nearing the gardens Jon was driving well but tentatively and then Brynn said,

     "Hey, if we crash they won't have to carry us far there is a hospital, it's over there."

     A nervous chuckle resounded from the others in back of the van.

     As the group made our way deeper into the botanical gardens, I felt a sense of peace and relaxation come over me. It was good in all that was going on that we could have this moment to rest. We then neared a cluster of mountains with a waterfall cascading down and it was such a beautiful view until it was interrupted by Joel saying,

     "Let's go for a hike!"

     I mean I love hiking but only when I know its coming and I have the right sporty apparel, not in jeans. Regardless we began our rapid ascent up the steep shale steps up the side of the mountain. We reached the top where the waterfall began and took in the view of the gardens below nestled between these mighty mountains. The women of the group then continued up the mountain, the men however stayed at the waterfall and rested a bit more. After the women reached the top of the mountain and took in what I can imagine was another beautiful sight, they then began descending back down towards us. The group then quickly descended back down the shale path quicker than we had come up and made our way out of the gardens and back to the van to return to Onthatile.

     We then journeyed back to Onthatile. Jon I must say, did a lot better on the drive back. After we arrived Joel brought us in the living room where we turned on some Rugby, Joberg vs Cape Town. I for one love rugby but have never watched any teams outside of New Zealand and Scotland so it was fun to watch other teams as well! After rugby Joel switched to the world cup games which was fun to watch for a bit. One of the Onthatile interns, Rachael from Alabama sat next to me and we started to talk and it was great talking with her about her life and potential job when she gets back to the states, and to hear how another American outside our team views South Africa and hear of her experiences.

     Joel and Rachael by then were half way finished with the Braai. Now I'm used to grilling out and BBQ in America, but how they do it here in South Africa is a bit different but still very good. A few of us then headed out to the campfire to hang out and warm ourselves next to the fire. Before we knew it, supperwas done! Our meal consisted of braai skewered meat, veggies, taters, sweet corn bake, and some other sides. It was so tasty!

     As I made my way back into the house, I noticed a few of the guys had gathered around Duncan in the kitchen. He was telling the group an interesting story about traveling to the Congo for work. During his time there he experienced the civil war that was happening and how the rebels were attacking the city he was in. The bank he worked for paid mercenaries from France and other countries to extract him out of the country. I was astounded by his stories and would love to hear more and his testimony if I ever get the chance.

     The party then moved back out to the campfire, we all sat around while Taylor played the guitar and led us in singing hymns. The sense of family here is so terrific! This is honestly the first time I have spent the fourth of July without my family, but it feels as if I'm here with my family now and even more so. I was able to really experience the family of the body of Christ here, one that transcends race, language, culture, and place. It's crazy to think that no matter where I go upon this Earth, I will always have a family that cares, loves, and worships the same God that I do. God is so good! And I'm overjoyed to have been made a part of this family!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239 48 9
Stephanie Darasimi Ajayi is a 27 year old freelance interior designer in Lagos, Nigeria. At that age, with no prospective husband, everyone starts to...
479 1 6
I'm writing these as an experiment. Many questions about Sexuality arise when your Dad left for milk, you live between cultures and were raised Bilin...
1K 78 22
It seems like just yesterday I was saved. Not knowing what to do next or where I should go. Little by little I had to find my way and put together...
22.6K 1.2K 41
He tightly grabs me by my waist and he holds me in place while I still continue to get captivated by whatever it is that is happening here. "Tell me...