The Billionaire's Assistant t...

By ShafiraSardar

He would have never hired her. One glance at that woman and you could just tell she was trouble. Scarlett Arc... More

Temptress
Miss Scarlett Archer
His Ego
Goddess of Teasing
A Friendly Kiss
A Quiet Night In
Coffee Made With Love
Lovely Dinner
The Argument
Hot Chocolate
Scarlett's Needs
Michael's Skills
Plans for Christmas
The Ex-Boyfriend
Christmas Party
Christmas Dinner
Cuddles and Pancakes
Noah The Hero
Scarlett's Confession
Drinks with Michael
Tiny Human
Snarky Scarlett
Proper Adults
Noah's Demands
Emma's Breakdown
Two Peas in a Pod
Turning the Tables
Sweet and Gentle
Connecting
Difficult Conversations
Violet Starr
The Wedding
Noah's Footsteps
Distracting Scarlett
A Big Family
Company Plans
Scarlett's Thoughts
Epilogue

Shady Restaurants and Proposals

8.2K 463 20
By ShafiraSardar

It wasn't about pride or reluctance that he didn't push Dawn to have a test done. He wanted it to be her choice. Emma, however, insisted because he could understand that as a mother she only wanted what was best for him. He still didn't push Dawn though.

He did set up a meeting with their lawyers. When two men and a woman of their legal department walked through the doors followed by Scarlett who let them in, being the good hostess, he flashed her a reassuring smile.

Scarlett had no idea what was going on, she looked curious and she'd definitely question him later. He waited for his assistant to leave the office, watching her slowly back away and close the door behind her. He had to hold back a laugh when she glanced over her shoulder and narrowed her eyes on him.

She didn't like not knowing everything that was going on at the office. She was good at her job because she was aware of every single thing. Flickering his eyes to the people who were trying to get comfortable in his office he flashed them a polite smile and discussed the details of his current situation.

The lawyers he could trust, they wouldn't spill anything. He felt like he could talk freely to them and let them know exactly what he wanted. When they left the office Scarlett saw them out, still throwing him curious looks.

He smiled and sat back down behind his desk, going through a very long email his brother sent him. It felt like Noah was punishing him, maybe his brother subtly was.

Scarlett walked in quietly, closing the door to his office even quieter. She made her way to his desk and sat down, eyeing him up and down. He tilted his head to the side, mirroring her curious gaze. She narrowed her eyes at him.

"The lawyers?" She questioned.

He was in a playful mood so he did what Scarlett would have done.

"The lawyers?" He repeated as if he didn't know what she was talking about.

She slammed her hands down on his desk, "Don't play with me, Starr."

He raised his eyebrows at her, "Excuse me?"

Realizing what she had done she leaned back against her chair and flashed him an apologizing smile, "Sorry." She mumbled.

"That was a private matter. Mom wanted me to make up a contract to ensure Dawn won't be able to get any money out of this."

She stared at him with wide eyes, probably not believing he'd set a meeting up like that. Scarlett at a loss of words was a sight to behold. Yet recently he came across that Scarlett a lot more.

"So you're going to make Dawn sign a contract like that?"

"I am not forcing her to do anything, I'm not a brute."

"I know." She whispered, "It surprises me that you're taking your mother's advice."

He didn't want to take Emma's advice but his mother only wanted what was best for him. He could make up a contract and talk to Dawn about it. It was up to her to either sign it or not.

"I can at least meet up with the lawyers, make up a contract and discuss it with Dawn"

She was hesitant but she did speak up, "It is good that you're doing that."

She then backed away and gestured behind her, "Then I'm going back to work."

He nodded, trying to hide his smile, "Okay."

Scarlett slowly backed away and closed the door quietly behind her. She was pleased with his response but he also knew that she was careful. The subject about Dawn and the baby was sensitive and even though things were good between them, he knew she didn't quite dare to talk about it.

They had to talk about their future seriously soon though. He had his mind made up and knew he was going to marry Scarlett. The baby would be part of his life too though. They needed to be on the same page about that. Otherwise, there was no bright future ahead of them.

Meeting up with Dawn came first though, the sooner that was sorted out the better.

***

Scarlett and I decided to go out for dinner, Again, she picked a restaurant in a secluded place which not a lot of people heard of. It could be a good thing or it could turn out to be horrifying, including not showing up to work the next day because the food wasn't that great.

He had to trust her in this, Scarlett wouldn't poison her boss to mess with him. He let her take his hand when they climbed out of the car and headed to the restaurant. It was small, the lights dimmed, trying to convey a romantic atmosphere.

"Are we able to see our food when it's served?" He asked as a joke.

The joke wasn't taken well by Scarlett. She squeezed his hand and dragged him to their appointed table. She ordered lots of small dishes for them to try. A minced chicken springroll which was spicy yet a little sweetness peeking through was his favorite dish by far. The others weren't bad either, but he wouldn't mind paying that restaurant another visit just because of those amazing springrolls.

They ordered a hot beverage when they were done with their food and would call it a night. They had to work tomorrow so he wasn't going to end the night too late.

Scarlett, however, who made suggestive looks at him from across the table had other plans. He quietly chuckled and shook his head at her attempts.

"I wanted to have a serious conversation with you." He pointed out.

She smiled, reaching for her cup of tea and taking slow sips from it, "I am not stopping you. Say whatever you wanted to say. I am all ears."

"Then stop looking at me like that." He warned her, a little laugh following.

He was grateful that she didn't feign innocence, she knew what she was doing and didn't feel ashamed of it. Scarlett placed her cup down and sat up straight in her chair, gesturing for him to continue.

"I'll stop, please continue." She encouraged him.

Also straightening in his chair, Lucian cleared his throat before he started the conversation.

"The lawyers confirmed that they'll have the contract done by the end of the week."

She nodded subtly, "Okay." She trailed off.

She didn't know where this was going but he could tell her guard was up.

"I want to meet up with Dawn right after to discuss it and if she wants to have her sign the contract."

"What if she doesn't sign the contract?" She asked.

She wasn't wrong to ask that, he knew his mother would ask the same thing. Maybe this was what would have Emma Starr and Scarlett Archer grow closer together.

He would laugh at it if the subject wasn't so serious.

"Then I'll ask for a paternity test to be done as soon as possible. If she still refuses I'll bring in the lawyers."

Scarlett kept quiet for a little while, no doubt she was trying to find the words to speak up in the nicest way about her concerns. He gave her time, sipping his tea to let her know he wasn't in a rush.

"I think that it says a lot if she'll keep refusing."

"I agree." He told her, "But we're talking hypothetical situations here. I haven't mentioned the contract nor have I asked for a test to be done. Let's wait and see what happens."

"You're right, all we can do now is wait."

He grabbed her hand when he noticed the change in her behavior, it was subtle but he could see she wasn't comfortable anymore.

"I want to say just one more thing and then we'll leave it at that for tonight."

She smiled, "Go ahead."

He gave her hand a gentle squeeze, it was nothing like the squeeze she gave him when he made fun of the restaurant of her choosing.

"Whatever the outcome is, you are the one I love and want to build a future with. If the baby is mine I'll be a part of their life. That doesn't mean I'll be a part of Dawn's life. She'll be that child's mother but that's it."

She looked at her hands, again taking her time before she responded. He wasn't sure if it was because she was keeping back her honest opinion or that she needed time to process it all. He didn't push her though.

"I know you'll do the right thing, that's who you are. I think it's what your mother is concerned about and what also nags at me at times. What if the baby is yours and you raise a child together yet separate with her and when the child grows up to where they are aware of their parents not being the happy family the average person wants to have and keeps nagging you about it. Will you cave in and try since you never really did? Will your child start to hate me for coming between you and Dawn in their eyes?"

She breathed out, tension leaving her yet she wasn't done, "It could really strain our relationship, you know. I hate being the evil stepmom who stole their dad from their mother. It would break me."

Lucian rubbed his thumb gently over the back of her hand. Her concerns were valid, he knew there were a lot of people who wanted that perfect family life. He couldn't predict the future and promise her that his child wouldn't come to hate her in the future.

It could happen.

He could, however, promise her what he felt very strongly about.

"I can't promise you that if the baby is mine they'll love you. They could come to hate you. When the time comes we can try and explain the situation to them. However, I know how I feel about you. I've known it for a very long time. You are it for me, I love you and I do want to marry you.'

She smiled, "Is that a proposal?"

He loved her for trying to lighten the mood by making jokes. He raised her hand to his mouth and kissed her pulse.

"Will you marry me?"

Her smile dropped, "W-What?"

The fact that he didn't smile made her pull away and place her hands on the table to steady herself. He wasn't even going to propose to her, but he felt very strongly about her. He wouldn't regret this.

"Will you marry me, Scarlett Archer?" He then shook his head, "I get that you're shocked. I'll ask again when the time is right, you know. With a ring and everything-"

She grabbed his hand in both of hers, "No need. I want to marry you."

"Good." He chuckled when she raised an eyebrow at him, "But I will ask again and give you a ring."

"That's the least you can do." She agreed with a laugh.

He already had it planned out. He knew exactly where he'd propose to her. Right now he just needed to tie up a few loose ends and get her a ring. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

487K 14.2K 51
πŸ’• LOVING SERIES BOOK 2 πŸ’• Lucian Montenegro. That was the name that sent shivers down Manhattan's spine, yet fluttered the hearts of many women and...
355K 8.6K 63
~I shudder and lean over, staring into her chocolate irises. "Are you sure?" "Yes." Without another word, I crash my lips on her own, removing the ri...
85.7K 2.8K 143
"It's time to focus on the company and stop doing disasters, as I see no other option, you will marry Nathaniel." Scarlett's father said. "Son I thin...
437K 12.7K 40
His words had me heated. As he spoke he made it sexy, and it turned me on. He was right about the pull towards us. The sex between us worked...and it...