Bonded

By WaitingForEnd

Lord Tarquin was the lethal war lord ready to take over King Samuel's kingdom. Jza was the determined princes... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Epilogue

Chapter 28

5.7K 424 33
By WaitingForEnd

Jza jumped down to the dry ground with a mighty heave, surveying her new abode with quiet resignation. She resisted the urge to stretch out her stiff arms after the grueling ride as her men followed her example. The dust floating around her settled around her skirts as she walked along the barn into the main courtyard. She had spent more than half her life here and yet she felt it was all a dream. 

The farm was obviously abandoned. Usually there would be farm hards running to and fro, wheeling in fodder and dumping out the manure but as expected no sign of humans lingering amongst the wood structures was to be seen. 

"Something isn't right," Taqruin suggested as he followed her steps. He narrowed his amber eyes, disliking what his observations revealed.

Jza nodded even though she saw nothing out of the ordinary. She trusted the man's intuition and her eyes raced over the abandoned buildings trying to find the source of his displeasure. 

"We need to search the area. Make sure there's no enemy lying in wait," The brown haired girl ordered and the men scattered although they did not have to go far since the farm was not generous in proportions. Tarquin stayed by her side keeping a wary eye on their surroundings. 

"I must ask you, your highness, why here?" Oliver asked after completing his circuit of the courtyard. She had finally memorised the names of her companions who had fought to be by her side when the small troop had split at the cross roads. The larger group had aimed for Goridian castle while Jza had led her smaller one to this farm. She had been tempted to throw all caution to the wind and reunite with her father but bringing Lord Tarquin with her would have caused the kind of chaos she could not even imagine. 

"This is my uncle's farm. Besides the palace this is the only place I have called home," She replied emotionlessly as she lied. This place was never her home. 

"Is there anyone here?" Dermort one of the stable boys called out loudly making Tarquin wince at the absurd amound of noise he was making. 

To her surprise there was sound of an animal that replied back. Now she could see what had caught Tarquin's attention.

"This is a cattle farm and while usually it would be full of animals but right now, how? Who has been tending to the animals in an abandoned farm?" Jza marched to the barn, following the rattling of bells and stomping of cattle feet. 

"The place looks like nobody has inhabited it for months," Oliver rubbed his hands over his beard as he spoke. 

"I wouldn't believe so. The cows are alive and well and most importantly bound in place." Jza glanced back at Tarquin as she entered the stall which was a mistake. She lost her balance as soon as she entered but her prisoner was swift on his feet and pushed her to the side. A rusty piece of metal fell down from above without ceremony missing her by inches. Her skirt wasn't quite as lucky and she lost an inch to the sharp machine part. 

"You just tripped over a trap wire. We are not alone," The man hissed and pulled her up urgently his fingers digging into her waist. His dagger was out and the rest of the men raced in behind them, itching for a fight.

"Who is there?" Tarquin spoke, taking the lead. His voice was low but it echoed in the nearly empty barn. Even the meagre amount cattle was silent as they watched the scene from their perches. 

From behind the dark corner a familiar elderly woman with two children approached the party slowly. The children, a boy and girl, had their arms tangled around the elderly woman. The old woman's eyes were fixed on Jza. Perhaps the sight of a woman among a group of unknown assailants gave them hope it was not a gang of robbers. 

"Get lost!" The boy screamed at them while his sister, identified by how similar they looked, blinked with unshed tears tangled in her long eyelashes. The older woman showed no sign of emotion beyond a bitter twist of her mouth. 

"You had better mind your manners, you brats. This is the royal princess," Dermot reprimanded the threesome. 

"And yet she consorts with Somerlians," The old woman sneered giving Tarquin a baleful look. 

"Greeting, Hyacinth, I would have vowed it we were never to meet again but I was wrong," The Princess spoke with pursed lips. She nodded stiffly as she watched Hyacinth's eyes fill with recognition. She was after all not the short, little girl anymore although her clothes were in as much disrepair as they used to be. 

"Where is uncle? Is he safe?" Jza asked taking advantage of the shocked silence.

"They escaped before the armies raided," The old woman replied after clearing her throat.

"I presume they got my letter in time then," The girl asked.

She placed a steady hand on Tarquin's shoulder and gestered for him to sit down. She had been mindful of his injuries the entire journey and it would not do now to tire him out even further. It would be such a waste if he got trapped by the fevers after all she had done to save his life. The man must have been tired to take seat without protest. 

"Yes, yes," Hyacinth paused thoughtfully before she replied, "He got your letter." 

"Why didn't he take you with him? An old women and children are not ones to leave in a war. Most of the cattle are gone as well," The girl asked as she took her seat beside Tarquin. Her back sorely needed the rest. 

"He wouldn't take Bertram's bastards with him. Told me I needed to choose so I stayed. I am old anyway. I couldn't do the distance in the mountains. I couldn't breath very well anyway," Hyacinth's face grew even more bitter as she spoke. 

"What filth. I'm glad you've had a change of heart about bastards," Jza replied, vainly trying to keep her anger in check. Bertram was her aunt's wayward brother whom she had never met and now she was glad of it. 

"I would've stayed if it was you," Hyacinth replied and watched Jza stand and walk towards them. There was a fear in her eyes as if she worried the former orphan girl was there to take her vengeance. Hyacinth had not been kind to her in the past. 

"No more surprises?" Jza bent down as she asked the children. Her knees cracked at the sudden movement. Both children had moon faces that were half covered with light brown hair. 

"None, my lady," The girl whispered shyly. She seemed to be in awe of meeting a princess. 

Jza turned to the five men who had volunteered most desperately to have the honour of protecting their saviour. Perhaps it was regret for not helping her sooner or the honour that would be bestowed on them later she did not know.

"You can go back to Goridian castle when you have rested and fed yourself. I have reached my destination and no longer require an armed guard," She held Tarquin's unwavering gaze as she spoke," and I do mean all of you."

They all protested and argued that an old woman and two children were not adequate company in such difficult times. They continued the discussion amongst themselves outside. Hyacinth led Philips, the cook, to the kitchen which she had kept running with the limited resources left behind during the evacuation before war started. The small patch of farmland and the small fruit orchard kept the small appetites of the young and the elderly at peace. 

Jza left the loud group behind as she toured the other empty barns for materials that maybe of use to her. It was futile trying to discuss her future plans with such a heated bunch. She knew Tarquin, her shadow, was not far behind.

"You need me," The Somerlian uttered as he followed her in and slammed the wooden door of the barn shut. The boarded up windows only let slivers of light inside that illuminated his amber eyes intensely. 

"For what. To talk to my father? He will trust my word more than he does yours," The Princess spoke resolutely after a pregnant pause, "If the tale must be told then it shall be my words."

"Would he not need be eased by my corroboration... Would he not celebrate your capture of me?" Tarquin implored. If she was not well aquainted with the man she would have thought he was begging but his shoulders were stiff and his posture arrogant. 

"Capture? I have hardly bound you at my feet. You are not defeated in the slightest. You came to me as independent as wily cat. My father is not a fool. He will sense you have ulterior motives. Have you not?" Jza asked taking a step towards him not realising how the man's eyes followed the beam of light tracking her face and neck. 

"I refuse to go anywhere," Tarquin ignored her question completely and crossed his arms defiantly. 

"You cannot be serious. Just because you're bored and irritated by your people thar does not mean you latch onto me," Jza took another step forward with clenched fists. 

"If you do not know why I stay then you are more oblivious than I ever thought possible."

"What is it I do not see?" It was now Jza's turn to beseechingly look into the man's eyes. 

"Everything," Tarquin took three steps forward and loomed all over. Jza suddenly remembered their first meeting where she had only seen the colours swirling in his eyes.

His hands as if controlled by an external force came up to her face. Before Jza could take a startled step back his fingers reached her and cradled her face delicately as if he were handling fine china. His sword calloused fingers skimmed over her jawline with a barely there touch that made her heartbeat faster.

Jza held her breath. She did not know what she waited for but she anticipated something. There was too much weight in the moment for it to be all for naught.

His amber eyes gazed at her if memorizing her features making her feel conscious of her looks. She was dirt smeared and dishevelled from their long ride and she wished she wasn't so. With just as much suddenness as before he unhanded her with a jolt and walked away without gazing back. The door opened and closed with a slam and she did not know why her heart felt like it would jump out of her chest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 5 43
With the worst wedding day and captured with the enemy. Zoe has to figure out her forced proximity with this cold hearted dragon for all eternity.
464K 11K 26
This story takes place in medieval times, a cold-hearted ruthless king is obsessed over a young girl. The ruthless king captured the girl and brought...
277 87 11
For eons and eons The two Kingdoms have been at war. Blood being sacrificed families losing each. Friends losing each other. Losing those close to th...
43 0 6
Valera, an unnoticeable noblewoman, and Darius, the cold hearted, madly attractive prince that hates Valeria. After disaster strikes, Valeria and Dar...