Still

By Nyctxphilia3

"I missed you", he said tucking a loose hair behind my ear. "Then you shouldn't have left", I said, looking a... More

Still editing
Still Summer
Still The First Day of School
Still "fine"
Still Neighbors

Still Partners

20 2 0
By Nyctxphilia3

"Morning", I say entering the dinning area. I take a seat at dinning table. "So what's for breakfast?", I ask James who was cooking something.

"Omelette", He says placing a piece in plate using a spangled spatula.

I take a bite. "Where mom?", I ask after swallowing.

"Still sleeping", He says sitting on the chair. He takes an omelette for himself and starts to eat.

"This is really good", I say munching on the omelette.

"Why thank you", he says proud. I roll my eyes at him.

I look at Tommy who was drooling at the omelette. "Did you fead Tommy his rice cereal already?" I ask while getting myself a glass of water.

"Uhh...not yet", He says while continuing to eat.

I roll my eyes at him. "Wake up Mom while I feed Tommy", I say standing up.

"But-", he complains.

"Hurry up or we're gonna be late", I say standing up then walking to kitchen to make Tommy's rice cereal.

James growls at my command. "Fine", he mutters before finishing his breakfast and heads to mom's room.

After quickly making Tommy's rice meal, I walk towards Tommy, carrying the rice meal in my hands.

I turn his high chair to face me then sit on a chair. Tommy smiles delighted at the sight of the rice meal.

I chuckle. "Say 'aaa'", I say lifting the spoon of rice meal. He opens his mouth and eats the rice meal.

"Hey darling", my sleepy mom walks towards us. She gives me and Tommy each a peck to the forehead.

I look at the clock to see the time. "Shoot! We're gonna be late", I gave mom the rice meal. "I'll see you later mom. James, Hurry up!"

I kiss Tommy in forehead and grab my backpack. I walked fast to the jeep, James trailing behind me.

James sits on the driver seat while I sit on the passenger seat. He starts the engine and dashes of to school.

Last year, mom and dad decided that it's about time that we have our own car. The only problem was that James and I had to share the car.

James turn on the Radio station. The song 'Higher Ground' by SKAAR was playing.

James reach his hand out to change the radio station.

"Don't change it", I snapped when I saw his hand.

He glances at me before slowing retracting his hand. We both kept silent. Only the radio was playing.

"I'm sorry", I say softly breaking the silence between us.

"What?", He says shock at the sudden apology.

"I'm sorry for making you pretend", I say playing with my fingers. I look down to avoid eye contact with him.

"W-what?" He asks half nervous and half shock.

"I'm not stupid, James. I know that you miss him. I know that you're just faking to hate him cause you know how much I got hurt when he left", I say frustrated then looking at him in the eye.

"Eve.....-", He starts gently.

"Yes! I know", I frustratedly move my arms. "You think that I would get mad if you start to acting all 'buddy buddy' with him again", I say air quoting the words 'buddy buddy'.

"Sis-"

"But I won't James! I love you even though you could be a lazy pain in the ass and I want you to be happy with your friend....with your best friend", I say starting to calm down.

I move around to adjust to my seat, feeling uncomfortable with my sudden out burst. Both James and I fell back to silence.

The song change into "Kiss and make up" by Dua Lipa, BLACKPINK.

"I'm sorry", James says quietly.

"James I-"

" Let me speak. I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for missing him. I'm sorry for not being able to hate him", he says.

"He's always been a brother to me. The fact that his back really makes me happy. I'm sorry for lying about hating him", he takes a deep breath.

" thank you... for allowing me to be friends with him. Thank you for understanding", he says softly.

"James... I may hate him but that doesn't mean that I want him to be lonely. I'm not gonna force people to stop being friends or dating him...", I look at him. He glances at me.

"..I just want everyone to be happy",  I mumble.

It's true. I hate him with every fiber of my being but I'm not gonna waste my life trying to block my brother's happiness nor his.

He was once my best friend. It's the least I could do for the man I once loved. Besides, as long as that jerk leaves me be, I'll be alright.

"You've grown up", James says.

"What do you mean I've grown up?" I ask crossing my arms before racing an eyebrow at him.

"Well.. your being all mature and not throwing a fit", James says.

"James.. I've always been the mature one", I say tilting my head.

"No, your not.. Did you forget the fact that you would always come back crying to me when we were younger?" He says amuse.

" Did you forget the fact that you still believed in cooties when you were twelve years old?" I say giving him a fake smile.

I look at the window and see that we are already at the parking area of the school. James parks the car while I prepare my things.

James and I step out of the car. "It was not my fault that mom decided that it would be fun to trick me into believing that cooties were real", he says moving around the front to walk beside me.

"It was fun seeing ran away from all the girls who would go 5 feet near you though", Austin says walking towards us.

It was hilarious seeing James running away from all the girls. I remember that on each Valentine's Day Austin, Jake and I would pay a girl to talk to James. James would freak out and run like a maniac.

Unfortunately, James learn that it was all a lie on his fourteenth birthday. Why? Because some idiot kiss his sitter in the cheek. Which cause him a black eye for the rest of the week.

~~~~~~~~

I ran through the hallway. I wanted to grab a snack at cafeteria when suddenly the bell rang. I had to take my book from the locker making me more late.

Panting, I open the door to the Chemistry lab. I see Professor Erviko stopping his discussion and turn to face me with annoyance written all over his face.

Professor Erviko was is my Chemistry teacher. He is somewhere in his forties, and currently being known as the 'Stick teacher'.

They call them this because he always has a stick in his hand. He is very strict and easily triggered. His White hair helps give the same vibe.

"Well if it isn't Ms. Bright and Mr. Pierce", Professor says crossing his arms. "So nice of you to grace us with your presence"

Mr. Pierce? I look behind me to Jake standing, not bothered that he was late. He looks completely fine. Meanwhile, I pant like a dog.

"Well, you should be honored", Jake says confidently then walking past me and taking a seat at the back.

Most of the girls swoon over him. Some pushing up their breast as if their boobs would grow and make them look attractive. Seriously? It honestly makes the look desperate. If you want a guy to like you then try being yourself.

Meanwhile, the guys groan in annoyance (probably because ninety percent of the girls would would be fighting for his attention from now on).

"Unfortunately, unlike yesterday you are both present for today", Professor say disappointed. My guess he is the type of teacher who hates teenagers. Why bother becoming a high school teacher if you hate teenager?

"Ms. Bright, we don't have all day. Please find your self a seat rather than standing there like pole", he says and continues to write on the board.

Cranky much?

I step inside to see that the only seat left was beside Jake. I take a deep to control myself. I walk walk towards the seat. Just before I was about to touch my chair some girl sat on the chair.

"Sorry, this seat is taken", she says giving me a fake smile.

Thank you! I will forever be in your dept!

Thank God! I don't have to sit beside him for the whole semester. "Ms. Mint, return to your original seat", Professor says ,not even looking at us, as he continues to write on the board.

"but-" she tries to object.

"I'd rather not see you flirt with the new student day by day", he cuts her off.

The girl huffs in frustration and goes back to her original seat. While the others laugh silently.

Seriously? Does he hate me or something? Because if he does, then that hatred might become mutual.
I sit down and place my bag a floor. I got my notebook and my pen out.

"Alright class, let's catch up with our lesson last year-" Professor say facing us.

A leg hit my chair. I look beside me to see Jake looking back with a smirk on his face. I roll my eyes and focus on the lesson.

"-Because I'd rather not review the lesson one by one-"

Kick!

Ignored.

"-So I decided to have a project that will determine-"

Kick!

Ignored.

"-what you have learned last year. In this project, I-"

Kick!

Ignored.

"-have decided to pair you all. This project will be simple-"

Kick!

Ignored.

"-and will be you will all present the presentation by next Friday-"

Kick!

"What the hell is your problem?!" I shout at Jake standing up.

My eyes widened while I remember where we are. "Oh shit!" I say under my breath.

I look at the Professor who has an annoyed look at his face.

"Ms. Bright, is there something you would like to say to the class?" He ask calmly even though he looks really annoyed.

"Umm...is there any time limit to the presentation?" I ask try to act natural.

"Yes.. there should only be ten minutes given" He says narrowing his eyes.

I smile before sitting back down. I look at Jake with a smirk on my face.

Ha! Take that Jake!

"Oh! Ms. Bright and Mr. Pierce-" Professor starts. I look at the Professor confused.

"-Since both of you decided that it would be fun to cut classes yesterday, I decided that it would also be fun to make you partners for the rest of the semester", he says looking at us but with a plastic smile on his face

What?! I must be dreaming right? I pinch my hand. Nope! This is real.

I groan in annoyance and place my head on my desk.

It's official, I hate my Science teacher.

---------------

I slam my locker shut.

"Damn, what happened to you?" Austin says appearing to my right side. I turn to face him with an angry look on my face.

"Professor Erviko has decided to torture me for the entire semester", I say trying to control my anger.

"ohhh.. what did he do?" he asks having fun at my agony.

"He decide to make Jake my seatmate and my partner for the entire semester!" I say.

Austin laughs loudly. I give him my what-the-fuck look and cross my arms. "why the fuck are you laughing?!" I ask annoyed

Austin seemingly amused at my misery, tried to control his laughter but ends up laughing again. I grab his hand and twist his arm, annoyed at how much he is enjoying this. He yelps in pain and stops laughing.

"Hey! Easy! These are hands of a musician!", he says pulling the arm I twisted close to his chest, protectively.

"Oh please, It was even that painful", I say rolling my eyes.

"If you keep harassing me, I will never be able to beat Shawn Mendes", He says.

"Dream on, Austin", I say not believing that there is even a twenty percent chance that would happen.

"Its true! Just a few more shows at the dinner and some music producer will ask me to sign a record label. After that I'll get my own private jet and you can go with me on my concerts, as VIP of course", he says proud. Let down his arm to his side and give me a cheeky smile.

I laugh at how childish he is. "Your such a dork", I say shaking my head. "Come on lets go"

I grab his arm and started leading the way.

"By the way, did you and Jake talked during classes?" he asks while we step inside the cafeteria.

"Talked? Um..more like.. he kept kicking my chair and I ignored him" , I say walking over to the food stall.

"You know your gonna have talk to him", he says pointing out the obvious. He takes a tray and get some food and I do the same. I stop for a while and look at him.

"I know, Austin. I just... don't wanna deal with him right now", I say I smile weakly.

Austin looks behind me. "Well your gonna have to rethink that", he says pointing behind me while his tray full of food.

I look behind me to see Jake sitting at our table laughing with my friends and my brother but what really caught my eye was how close Jake and Tasha were sitting.

Tasha still doesn't know anything about what happen two years ago. "I should probably tell her...", I say slowly while looking at them.

"Yeah.. you should..", Austins says slowly who was now standing beside as we both look at our friends and him.

Austin and I walked towards our table. They were still laughing and didn't notice us approaching.

It looks like Jake was telling them a story and all of them were listening to him. My brother pats Jakes back then laughs.

Jake made hand gestures that looked like he was showing a width of something. Tasha was listening closely.

"Yo! What's so funny?" Austin says taking a seat.

I take the seat beside him and place my tray at the table. "Oh! Jake was just telling us about his first motorcycle race in New York", Tasha says with admiration.

I take a French into my mouth. "Really? Did you win?" I ask looking at Jake casually.

Austin, James and Jake were shock by my casualty. Sorry boys, but I am old enough to talk casually to a person I hate.

Jake came back to his senses and answered: "Yeah, I won five hundred dollars"

Cheap. I wanted to say but it would be rude to say that since my friends are becoming fond of him.

"I would love it if you would teach me sometime", Tasha says scooting closer to Jake.

Beep!

I look down on my phone to see a notification.

Austin:
Seems like your best friend is getting cozy with your partner.

I glance at Austin and look back at my phone. I started typing.

Me:
I have eyes, doofus

Austin:
No need to get cranky.

"Hey, Didn't Evie taught you how to ride a motorcycle?" Miley asks confused.

"She did, But my sister isn't a very good teacher", my brother says.

"You sure about that? She's the one who taught you how to drive, bro", Austin points out.

We all laugh at James who was embarrassed. Out of the both of us, I was the one who first got their driving license.

I thought that it would be great to not be so dependent on my parents so I ask my Aunt to teach me for the whole summer.

Our Aunt has to move back to England for  her best friend's wedding. My parents were to afraid to teach James considering he is a lousy student.

James came to me say 'I want to impress a girl so teach me how to drive!' It took me four weeks to teach James.

"Did you really ask Evie to teach you how to drive? Cause you wanted to impress a girl?" Miley ask before laughing.

"Yeah so what?" My brother says trying to hide his embracement.

"Well did she get impress?" Tasha asks.

"Ooh She did. In fact she gave James a pucker in the cheek", Austin says.

"Ok, that I never want to remember", James says shuddering at the memory.

"Bro, what happened?" Jake ask, smiling.

"Her lips practically magnet herself to him", Austin says laughing.

"The girl was like an octopus that sticked to James", I say.

"She kept going to his classes. She would follow him everywhere. She even introduced herself to Auntie!" Austin says laughing hysterically.

"Wow, She really did that? She must have been obsessed!" Tasha says.

"Oh come on. She was a sweet girl", I say taking a sip on my drink.

"Hey Jake" Tasha starts, facing Jake. She continues her conversation with him while Austin whispers.

"How much do you wanna bet for the wicked witch to come and steal the prince", He smiles wickedly.

"40 bucks, she's gonna arrive in less than a minute", I say taking out my wallet, ready to put the money in.

"50 bucks, she's gonna come in ten-" Austin was caught off, leaving a surprise look on his face.

"Hey Jake!" Bertha chirps. She looks at Tasha with disgust and forcefully pushes her to make space for her to sit.

I look at Austin with a smug look at my face and bring my hand out.

Austin grumbles in defeat before taking out some money from his pocket and placing it on my palm.

Smiling in victory, I place the money in my wallet. "Damn, I cant believe she's that quick", He mumbles under his breath. I chuckle at his expression.

"Last nights was pretty hectic", Bertha says, twirling a piece of her perfect blonde hair with her finger. She gives a 'seductive' look to Jake but to James, Austin and I, she just looks like a desperate bitch. She gives off a secret smirk to my direction.

"What are you talking about? I had dinner with an old friend", Jake says acting confused.

Jake and Bertha had a past relationship. However, they're status was not boyfriend and girlfriend. Instead, it was more like a booty call for both of them.

I was honestly and openly not on board with it but I couldn't stop Jake from their 'study sessions'. I had no right to control him, so I let him be.

His attitude right now shows that he already knows Bertha's true colors. Even though they weren't together, Bertha acted like an obsessed girlfriend.

She was always jealous and chased off other girls who would look at him. What's funny was neither of them were 'loyal'. Even though Bertha is Jake's 'girlfriend', she also slept with other guys.

Same goes for Jake. The only difference is that unlike Bertha, Jake knows that there is nothing between them.

"W-what are you talking about? Remember our amazing se-" Bertha says covering up her lies. Her stuttering made her nervousness clearer.

"Nope, I don't recall any of that", Jake says smoothly. Austin and I try to control our laughter.

"Would kindly leave our table? We don't like desperate bitches", Tasha says smiling coldly.

Bertha huffs before standing and walking away. Let's not forget how she is shaking her butt excessively.

"I honestly don't see what they see in her", Tasha says looking at Bertha.

"Well somebody does", I mumble looking at my tray before taking a sip at my Coke. I feel they're gazes at me. I look up at them innocently.

"What?"

James shakes his head as if though saying 'this girl has no hope'. Jake gives a poker face. Miley and the others gives me a confused expression. While Austin just laughs.

———————————

"Finally! We're home!" I say, stretching my arms. James and I are in the garage parking the car.

The moment the car was off, I quickly pick up my things and run towards my room. "Evie! Stop running inside the house!" Mom shouts, her eyes still on the TV watching Vampire Diaries.

"Okay!" I say even though I still continue on running. Once I closed my door, I quickly jump on the bed and spread my arms and legs out.

I'm so tired and stressed. It's not even half the year yet. My brain feels so full. I need a nap. My eyes start to become drowsy.

"Knock!" A loud sound wakes me up and startles me. I look out the window to see Jake waving his hand. I ignore him and press my face against the bed.

"Knock! Knock! Knock! Knock! Knock-"

I pull my head up angrily with a scowl all over my face. I stand up lazily and opened the window.

"What?" I say, furious. "I'm not in the mood for your annoying ass. My brain feels wasted and I want sleep"

"The science-" Jake starts, moving me to the side, giving room for him to walk inside my room.

"Sleep", I say hitting him with a pillow.

"The project-"

"Sleep", I hit Him again with the pillow.

"Our grade-", he starts trying to convince me.

"Sleep", I cut him off once again and hit him with the pillow. I look at him in the eye while I point the bed then pointing at me.

"Sleep"

"Fine.. one hour", he says defeated while showing a 'one sign' with his fingers.

I smile and tiredly walk towards the bed and fall on it. "Thank you", I say in a muffle voice. It sounded like "tenk yu" to me but I really did care.

I hear Jake chuckle. Suddenly, Cubs barked happily. Jake hushes the dog before retreating back to his room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 30 36
What happens when your ex/friend with benefits moves in next door at the worst time possible. When everything is finally going great they come to rui...
10.9K 430 88
| COMPLETE | [this is the first draft of my story. so, if there's grammatical mistakes and continuity errors, i apologize and i will be editing in th...
31 0 11
"Seats taken." "Yeah sure, I'll leave when your many buddies arrive to fill them." Sarcasm, her favorite form of expression. She's no stranger to ann...
4.6K 474 43
Falling in love with an enemy knowingly is wrong. What if, it happens unknowingly? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ " W-what this? " I lost the ability to speak Englis...