A New Beginning

By CrystalScherer

Sequel to Upon Wings Of Change. The dragonets are flourishing; both those in the park and those helping the K... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 55.5
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 9

16.7K 1.4K 211
By CrystalScherer

Tessa's POV:

I spread my wings wide as I dropped off the end table. My wings slowed my fall by a lot, and I landed on the carpet without too much of a bump. Dirk wasn't far behind me as we raced towards the window sill. The sun was starting to rise! And we certainly weren't about to miss it!

Even with a strong jump up towards the window sill, I needed three wingbeats to get to the edge. Dirk whined below; he hadn't tried jumping while using his wings, and the window sill was higher than the end table.

"I'm coming, Dirk. I didn't expect you two to be up so early. The sun isn't going to rise for at least five minutes. Even Tasha and Keegan just went outside."

Aeria picked up my brother and put him on the window sill beside me. We both were examining the spot where we had seen the sun rise yesterday. From the brightness near that spot, I was pretty sure it was going to appear in the same place again.

I stood up on my back legs, using my hands against the glass to help me balance. The extra height let me see a bit more of the backyard. Mom and Dad were sitting on a big piece of driftwood in the middle of the yard as they also watched the sky brighten.

The faintest stirring of the sun's call meant that the Morning Song was approaching. I unfolded my wings in growing excitement – I could hardly wait! Dirk was also eagerly watching the horizon, shifting his weight from side to side restlessly. Mom and Dad were almost motionless; apparently, they had more patience than we did.

The sun began to peek over the horizon, and I began to pace on the spot in anticipation as I felt the call building. The sun became visible, and the faint whisper became a stronger pull that was rapidly growing stronger.

The time for the Morning Song had come!

Dirk was just as eager as me, and he began flapping his wings enthusiastically. I started singing as my own wings tried to match the sun's rhythm. My flapping didn't quite seem to fit the smooth flowing cues, but they were the best I could do at the moment.

Mom and Dad were perfectly following the Morning Song's guidance as they flew in complex patterns through the air. I was envious, but it didn't stop me from my own dance and singing. Even if they weren't quite right, they were my contribution as I welcomed the sun.

Eventually, the song ended, and I slowly folded my wings. I was tired, but not as tired as I had been yesterday. Dirk had even managed to flap the entire time, although he had flopped down as it ended, looking exhausted.

I tilted my head as I asked him, "Are you that tired?"

He flicked an ear tuft at me, and his mindvoice reflected that he was as tired as he looked. "Yeah... Using our wings for this long is hard – but I would do it again. It was worth it. Make sure I don't ever sleep through the sunrise."

"I promise," I replied, "and don't let me sleep in either."

He sent back a wordless confirmation. I looked out the window and saw Mom on Taureen's lap, getting her scales oiled. Dad was eating some fruit from a bowl beside them. I shook myself off and looked around the room as I walked up to the edge of the window sill.

Now that I knew my wings could slow my fall, the height no longer bothered me. Aeria was putting down some sort of small device on the coffee table as she got to her feet. I eyed up the floor before scanning the distance between me and the coffee table.

If I could use more than one wingbeat to jump farther up, could it also make me go farther? I didn't see why not. It had worked when I had been hopping around on the floor yesterday. One wingbeat let me go farther then. I wondered how many wingbeats it might take to get to the coffee table.

I stretched out my neck as I examined the distance again. If a jump up to the coffee table took two wingbeats, then getting from the window sill to the coffee table was going to take lots more. I decided to try it. If it was too far, I would just land on the carpet.

My head bobbed slightly as I lined up my flight path. With a deep breath, I jumped high in the air before beating my wings down. I had practiced jumping up to the end table yesterday, so I knew how to pick my wings up and get them ready for the next wingbeat. I just had to do it quickly enough, even when my wings got tired.

I was on my third wingbeat and aiming slightly up, since that was what I had always done, but I was getting too high. I struggled as I tried to fix my flight. Slowing my wingbeats made me come down faster – and with a sudden inspiration, I spread my wings like I had done when jumping down from the end table, only trying to get to the table, not just straight down.

It worked! I was gliding!

But I was also rapidly coming down since I stopped beating my wings. I beat them once more so I still had enough height to get to the coffee table. I pinned my ear tufts back in growing alarm; the wingbeat had kept me high enough, but it also made me go faster. The speed was starting to scare me.

To my relief, I saw that the table was much closer – I was almost there! I angled myself a bit lower as lowered my feet, still gliding fast.

Just before my feet touched the table, I realized that I was going forward and not down like I had always done before. I didn't know how to land like this! My feet hit the table and simply skidded along the slippery wooden surface as I squealed in alarm, fanning my wings frantically.

I could hear Mom and Dad's fierce screams in the background as they heard my panicked cry. The wood grain patterns in the wood whizzed by me as I struggled to slow down. But it wasn't enough. I slipped right off the end of the coffee table, now heading for an impact with the couch.

Aeria's hand intercepted my collision course at the last second, swinging her hand up and over the couch seat as she slowed my speed to avoid a bad crash. I clutched onto her fingers as she exhaled in relief.

A gold flash streaked past us as I heard Mom hissing. "What happened? Are you okay?"

Aeria answered for me, "Her first flight came before her first landing, and I am now guessing that backwinging is a trick that takes the youngsters a bit of time to learn. She tried to land on the table, but just slid right off."

I felt Mom's relief over the mindlink, and she landed on Aeria's shoulder pads as she gazed down at me.

"Next time you want to try flying, talk to us first," she told me somewhat sternly. "I was planning on laying down the rules at breakfast, but, apparently, that plan literally just flew away."

I ducked my head in embarrassment and whispered, "Okay."

It hadn't occurred to me to ask if I could try flapping to the coffee table – I hadn't even realized that it was flying and not just a jump with lots of wing assist. No one had said anything when I had jumped up to the end table several times yesterday.

And no one had told me that flying was much harder than it looked...

Tasha's POV:

I sighed before gliding down to the end table. "Come get some breakfast."

They had been so excited about the Morning Song that they hadn't even stopped to grab a bite to eat. Keegan had landed beside Dirk on the windowsill and jumped down to the floor with him as they came over.

I backwinged to a gentle landing on the end table, making it an example for the still somewhat-embarrassed red fledgling in Aeria's hands. The word stuck in my mind.

It shouldn't have surprised me, but it didn't occur to me that Tessa would have tried to fly so soon. Usually, youngsters built up to a larger flight, not just pulling it out of a hat.

I mindlinked Drake. "Liar."

The blue dragonet's sleepy confusion came through clearly, so he must already be sunbathing. "Huh?"

"You told me that fledglings always glided at least once or twice from higher places before attempting actual flight."

"They do. So far every single-" He paused as my words finally penetrated his thoughts. "Oh. I take it that one of yours did something different?"

I snorted. "Tessa just managed to fly clear across the room – and only avoided a nasty impact due to Aeria's intervention. Until now, she has never done anything besides jump up to the end table using her wings or skip around with a single wingbeat on each bound."

Drake was silent for a moment before asking, "She didn't previously glide or use more than one wing beat when playing? No smaller test flights from low locations?"

"No, no, and no."

He sent a sudden surge of amusement across the mindlink. "Then she is just as full of mischief as you had feared. You teased me about how much trouble my kids gave me, so now it's your turn. Have fun!"

He dropped the mindlink and raised his mental shields to prevent me from hurling some unfortunate insults at my old friend. Ohhh! Just wait until I get ahold of him! I will have to dunk him in the pond for that one!

If Tessa really was going to be as much of a handful as I feared, then I was in far greater trouble than Drake could possibly imagine. I could easily visualize that far-too-curious youngster managing to get past all of the security features on the windows and doors – a stunt that I had never managed to pull off, even before the locks and systems had been upgraded.

Taureen entered the room and put down more bowls of fruit since the current bowls were almost empty from the youngsters' unending appetites.

I saw his leg and pinned my ears back in guilt, apologizing to Taureen, "Sorry about your leg..."

When Tessa had squealed in true fear, I had launched myself towards the house at full speed – temporarily forgetting that I had been on Taureen's lap. My back feet had propelled me into the air, but my claws had dug in. He had already bandaged up the lacerations. Thankfully, the bandages didn't look too serious, but I knew how sharp my claws were and how much damage they could cause, even unintentionally.

Taureen shrugged without concern. "Don't worry about it. The scratches weren't too deep."

I reluctantly let the subject drop. It wasn't as if arguing or pressing him for details would change the injury. I made a mental note to quietly follow him when he went to change the bandage so I could see the true extent of the damage.

It was the very rare occasions like this that I knew I couldn't really trust him to tell me the truth. It only involved him, and he didn't want me to feel bad, especially when he knew it had been an accident on my part. He would play down his injury to make me feel better. Much like an ornament I had accidentally broken, he wasn't about to get upset over it.

In fact, with him being my handler, I doubted that he would ever get angry with me, or at least, he wouldn't show it. Bond animal handlers were... different. And their patience was nearly endless when it came to their companion animal.

That didn't mean that he didn't have a temper; he just never let me really see it. I had seen a few glimpses of it over the years, mostly if something impacted my welfare. Back when Taureen still assumed I was just an animal, Drake had helped me cut my original tracking bead out of my flank – and the small cut had left Taureen livid when he saw it, assuming that someone had intentionally harmed me.

Like most male Kymari, he was a fighter. He didn't train nearly as much anymore, although he still spent several hours each week keeping his fighting abilities up to par. He had even added a basement under the house so he had somewhere to practice without having to constantly worry if I had remained on the chair he left me on.

Sitting on the sidelines of a training arena was boring, at least for me, and I had a high tendency to wander around a bit. With so many weapons being used in the area, by older seasoned fighters as well as adolescents just learning, Taureen didn't really like it when I left the spot he had deemed safe.

How he never got exasperated with me was a mystery that I had never figured out. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88 7 3
With permission from the RainWing queen, the NightWings have created a sub-kingdom deep in the jungle that now thrives as a successful city. However...
5.6K 338 70
[Wings of fire - Evolution AU] What if Darkstalker listened to Fathom? The dragonets of destiny never had a destiny. They were hatched just lik...
11 0 2
"My dragonet inherited my power, and so are their dragonets. On and on, every dragon after me inherited my curse." Realizing that he's not normal, Qi...
17.2K 745 30
This book is a little outdated and will be getting a rewrite soon! ------------------ Fighting, dragons were always fighting in the Rainforest. Not p...