Wolf at Heart

By Whisper486

. : Book One : . Melody is a member of one of the five tribes of animal shapeshifters who live beyond the hum... More

Notice
Prologue
Chapter One: The Ceremony
Chapter Two: First Encounter
Chapter Three: Friendly Fire
Chapter Four: Sea Serpent Scandal
Chapter Five: Remembering Them
Chapter Six: Fight in the Forest
Chapter Seven: Bandit Trouble
Chapter Eight: The Message
Chapter Nine: Silent Escape
Chapter Ten: The Lupine Camp
Chapter Eleven: Midnight Feast
Chapter Twelve: A Hunter's Advice
Chapter Thirteen: Left or Right
Chapter Fourteen: The Instructors
Chapter Fifteen: Stable Life
Chapter Sixteen: Training
Chapter Seventeen: His Perspective
Chapter Eighteen: Into the Woods
Chapter Nineteen: Surprise Attack
Chapter Twenty: The Hunters
Chapter Twenty One: The Predators
Chapter Twenty Two: Meeting Him
Chapter Twenty Three: Wolf and Raven
Chapter Twenty Four: Visions
Chapter Twenty Five: Yes or No
Chapter Twenty Six: Paranoid
Chapter Twenty Seven: Welcome Home
Chapter Twenty Eight: Problems
Chapter Thirty: His Memories
Chapter Thirty One: Discussion
Chapter Thirty Two: Flashback
Chapter Thirty Three: Aftermath
Chapter Thirty Four: Confusing Feelings
Chapter Thirty Five: To Think
Chapter Thirty Six: Plans
Chapter Thirty Seven: Sharing
Chapter Thirty Eight: Captivated
Chapter Thirty Nine: Wrong Captive
Chapter Forty: Stolen Property
Chapter Forty One: Last Warning
Chapter Forty Two: Another Perspective
Chapter Forty Three: The Raven's Claw
Chapter Forty Four: Dominance Game
Chapter Forty Five: Alpha's Command
Chapter Forty Six: Bandages
Chapter Forty Seven: Tomorrow Night
Chapter Forty Eight: The Deal
Chapter Forty Nine: Scars
Chapter Fifty: His Worries
Chapter Fifty One: Tight Boundaries
Chapter Fifty Two: Mistakes Made
Chapter Fifty Three: Double Crossed
Chapter Fifty Four: Unexpected Help
Chapter Fifty Five: A Mysterious Man
Announcement
Chapter Fifty Six: Awoken
Chapter Fifty Seven: Training Begins
Chapter Fifty Eight: Unspoken Promises
Chapter Fifty Nine: Hidden Waterfall
Chapter Sixty: Heated Moments
Chapter Sixty One: The Festival
Chapter Sixty Two: Secrets Revealed
Chapter Sixty Three: A Day Off
Chapter Sixty Four: Risky Assessment
Chapter Sixty Five: Icy Barriers
Chapter Sixty Six: Earthen Explosion
Chapter Sixty Seven: Lost Relations
Chapter Sixty Eight: Final Oblivion
Epilogue
Afterword
Notice

Chapter Twenty Nine: Sun's Chosen

25 6 17
By Whisper486

I sat, numb, on my bed as the boys argued around me. Or rather, Dakota was arguing while Ash was attempting to calmly find his way out of this situation.

"Why would you do something like that, Melody?!" Dakota nearly shouted and I averted my eyes from his furious look. "We could've lost a valuable ally!"

"Leave her alone, Dakota. Let her be for now," Ash stated seriously, still glancing at me cautiously. "Can't you see that she's still trying to cope? She needs time."

But Dakota wasn't having any of it and kept lecturing me. He wasn't the same boy I'd met weeks ago. This new person was rougher, quick-tempered, and aggravated easily.

I wasn't sure if I liked this new version of him.

Then again, we'd all changed some. The burden of the world was resting on our shoulders. If that didn't make a person different then I didn't know what would.

Ash had patiently explained to Erin what was going on after I'd apologized a million times. He'd understood completely and had promised to keep it a secret unless necessary. Knowing I'd needed some time alone, he'd left to go spin a story for our parents to believe.

Dakota was still running his mouth but by now I'd learned to tune him out. That is until he grabbed me by my shoulders and things got messy.

"Hey! Are you even listening to me?" Dakota exclaimed.

"Get off her," Ash said, shoving him away, his tone low and dangerous. "Leave. Her. Alone."

I opened my mouth to intervene but Dakota got there first, sneering. "Oh so now you're trying to control me? What am I, a puppet? While you two were off at the garden, I was ambushed by Predators. And what were you doing? Crying yourself out in the woods."

Feeling an immeasurable amount of hurt, I shut my mouth, letting Ash speak for me.

"We were, as a matter of fact, also ambushed. Dakota, you need to focus on the mission here. Arguing over matters like this won't help."

Smirking, Dakota fell back onto his trusty reasoning: doubt. "How do we even know you're telling the truth about 'saving the world?' You could be lying about everything. Everything!"

"You think I'm lying about this?" Ash replied, summoning a miniature tornado that danced on his palm. "This should be all the proof you need."

"Right, just because you can do that little trick?"

This was getting out of hand.

I'd had enough and stood so that I had their attention. "Dakota, do you hear yourself? Honestly, what happened to you? If you're not going to help then you can stay behind. You can get out and go back to the Lupine or stay and help my family. Or just go off on your own. You have your choices, but I'm not going to put up with these kinds of fights."

Both boys stared until Dakota muttered under his breath as he walked out, "I'll stay with you two. For now."

When he slammed the door closed I turned back to Ash, letting my uncertainty show. "Do you think I said that too harshly? Going out at him like that..."

Ash let me lean on his shoulder while he thoughts. "You had to. You had to draw the line somewhere. And, Mel, you have to realize that Dakota isn't the same boy you met before. I wasn't there all the time, but I saw him changed from the camp. Just let go and accept how he is now."

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak.

Happening to look out the window, I caught a glimpse of the blank sky. An empty sky. No, no, no.

The new moon.

Adrenaline surged through me, and I jumped up, my heart in my throat. I rushed down the hall, yelling for Dakota, not caring if I woke my family.

Midnight was coming. Tick, tock.

I hurried down the stairs, Ash at my heels/ Putting on the breaks, I saw my father at the end of the hallway. He blocked the exit.

"What do you think you're doing young lady?" He barked, not budging.

For once in my life, I didn't heed his words at all.

"No time to explain!" I gasped, shoving past him.

"Not so fast," Father growled, his hand shooting out and grabbing my arm. "What is going on? You won't act like a ruffian in my --"

Panicking, I whirled around, "The Predators are here! Let me go, Father!"

The statement surprised him so much that his grip loosened and I wrenched my shoulder free. I ran out the door, but it was too late. The distant chimes told me the time with sickening certainty.

Midnight.

Predators circled the house, hissing and snickering to themselves. Seeing me, their mutters turned into all-out screeches of laughter.

I heard Father gasp behind me, and without turning, I ordered, "Wake Mother and Erin. Stay in the house where we can protect you. Don't come out until it's over."

Fear made him obey, and I surveyed the field while he yelled for the others.

The odds weren't great.

Dozens of Predators lurked in the shadows, more than Ash and I could handle at once. Dakota was nowhere to be seen, presumably gone from my outburst. With a heavy heart, I realized that there were just too many.

But that didn't mean I wouldn't try.

Ash and I shared a look, and before I could reconsider, we leaped into the fray. Might as well take as many down as you could while you're at it.

Calling on the water that speckled the ground as dew, I sent a stream at a cluster of Predators, pulling out my knives. Dueling several monsters at once, I saw a rain barrel. Enchanting the water as I kicked the barrel over, I disintegrated the crowd of Predators, splashing them in their faces.

I quickly learned as I fought. Normal water wouldn't affect the Predators, only annoy them. For the water to kill, you had to enchant it first. Predators were generally immune to ordinary weapons unless enchanted or ran straight through their 'heart.'

Dodging a swing one Predator attempted, I found myself trapped with my back to the house. I could barely see with the apple tree blocking the starlight.

The tree.

Reaching up, I grabbed a low branch, swinging my feet over the creature's heads and landing on my feet. Spikes of pain shot up my legs but I ignored it. I had bigger problems to worry about.

My strength was fading fast, and I wasn't sure that I had the energy left to control the water.

Ash's attacks were faltering as well, his tornado of wind slowly dying out around him.

We couldn't last much longer.

Then someone else burst into action and completely shifted the tide.

A tongue of fire erupted across the clearing, obliterating ten or so Predators. Another wiped out the next batch.

The Sun's Chosen had decided to come and play.

"Take that you disgraces!" The voice rang clear and fierce. "Go back to the pit you crawled from!"

Dakota stood panting hands braced on his knees, soon striking out at the remaining Predators.

With renewed energy, I summoned one last whirlpool of water to destroy the last of the hideous creatures.

Panting, I slumped against the doorway to the house. "You can come out now, Father. It's done. There's also something I need you to do for us..."

Hating myself for sounding so tired, I took in deep breaths as the pain flooded back. My arm ached, but I still staggered over to Ash, healing his wounds before tending to my own.

After that was completed, I steadied myself mentally for the task ahead.

Confronting the Sun's Chosen.

Trying to stand tall, I looked her in the eyes. She had an insufferably smug expression that I wanted to slap off her face.

"Well, well, Melody. I hadn't been expecting to see you again," She said, looking all prim and proper in her long, slim coat.

Gritting my teeth, I forced the words out.

"Hello, Sora."

"Say, how is my twin sister Sylvia, hmm?"

Twin sister, huh? Seems like her sister also inherited her sadistic nature. Runs in the family.

"She's doing just fine. Last I saw, she was trying to make my life miserable," I replied breezily, shooting daggers at her.

Sora answered in kind, glaring. "Glad to hear that. I wouldn't expect anything less of my dear twin. I'm sure she made things more interesting."

"Yep. Very," I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

The boys finally got fed up with us, Ash stepping forward. "You two need to chill out. Feel free to go back at it later, but we got to clear up some things first."

We both reluctantly agreed, never wavering in our furious gazes.

Dakota spread his hands in a sort of peaceful way, but we could all see how short his fuse was. "Let me explain what happened when I left.

"I went out to find Sora, 'cause the faster we got her on board, the faster we could leave. So I found her family house and talked my way into the house where I could tell her. Turns out," he said with a pointed look, "She already knew about it for years. Her family was one that apparently believed the old scrolls but decided not to inform anyone else for centuries, even though they had the knowledge to save their people. I already talked to her parents and they're all for it.

"So we're all set for the next camp, I guess. Sora's already pretty much mastered her ability. I don't know if I missed anything, but she'll fill in stuff that I missed."

Sora checked her nails, fluttering her eyelashes at Dakota. "No, you got everything."

I saw Dakota visibly swallow and look away.

Ugh, no thanks.

Seeing my family hesitantly come up, I remember I'd called them out. "Right, so we've been keeping this kind of a secret but it's about time the tribes knew. They should know what they're up against. Start telling people. Spread the word. We have to get going but you three and Mike have to tell them. If they don't believe you just wait until the next new moon. The Predators will be back and you have to prepare."

They nodded and bustled back into the house. Erin gave me a hug before returning, giving me a sad smile.

It was still dark out, but we all agreed it'd be best to get moving as soon as possible.

We were all packed so we didn't linger any longer. Ash shifted, spreading his wings. Dakota raced after, his white bushy tail flickering out of sight. I waited until Sora had transformed into a lioness before shifting myself.

I took one last look at the house.

I'd just come back, and now I had to leave again.

Was I ever going to find a permanent home?

No matter now, I told myself, catching up with the others.

No matter now...

(Side Note: So there's that. I don't really know what to say today, but I guess this'll work: Stay safe! :3)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Soul Tides By CJ

Paranormal

84.9K 8.3K 55
A sex worker turned private eye must investigate her supernatural hometown in order to find a missing girl, but when clues lead her on a path of dead...
111K 4.9K 25
'Book 1 in the Shifter series' My name is Celina Birch and until yesterday me, and my siblings; Sydney and Alexander but Alex for short, thought we w...
26.4K 1.6K 58
Lunas are revered. Lunas are loved. Lunas are protected. Chosen by Alpha of the Southern River Border, Isabel is none of these. Isabel cleans herse...
51.6K 4.1K 39
❝ Let's rule a Kingdom, shall we? ❞ •○• When human slave turned Fae Handmaiden, Cara Arnel found herself in the Kingdom she had initially been fleein...