๐๐ˆ๐“๐“๐„๐‘๐’๐–๐„๐„๐“ ๐Š๐€๐‘...

By Inglorio

๐–๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐Œ๐ข๐ง๐š ๐‘๐š๐ฒ๐ง๐ž ๐ฆ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ญ๐จ ๐š ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐๐จ๐ฆ๐ข๐ง๐š๐ง๐ญ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ˆ๐ญ๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐š๐ง๐ ๐’๐ข๐œ๐ข๐ฅ๐ข... More

INTRODUCTION
PLAYLIST
CHARACTERS
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
EPILOGUE

XII

79.2K 2.9K 3.7K
By Inglorio

M

"Giovanni!" I heard Melissa shriek as I walked past the closed bathroom. Gio's giddy laughter could be heard paired with the splashing sounds of water as his mother gave him a bath. "Stop splashing—"

I'd woken up late this morning, missing out on the chance to see Melissa arrive home from work.

After speaking with Damien yesterday, it was still awkward between both Melissa and I but for the sake of Gio, we agreed to be cordial—more so I did. She didn't say much to me aside from goodbye once she had to leave for work, leaving me to babysit Gio.

I hoped today would be different.

Taking my seat at the small dining table where a plate of breakfast awaited me, I ate in silence, waiting for Melissa to make an appearance.

By the time she stepped out of the bathroom with a hyper Gio, I'd already finished my food and sat by the living room watching tv.

I glanced over my shoulder to see her walk down the hallway towards her room before closing the door behind her.

She was still ignoring me.

Letting out a sigh as I propped my leg up to rest my chin to my knee, my head lolled to the side in deep thought.

What was the point of sticking around here if I was no longer welcome? It was clear to me that Melissa was still upset over the situation and I wasn't sure when she'd get over it.

Was it best to just leave without resolving the issue?

Whenever we argued over little things, we always ended up fixing things between us but this wasn't a little thing.

This was different.

Scrolling through the channels absentmindedly, I settled on a random crime tv show before my mind wandered off again.

Today was Sunday. Melissa was of course attending mass with her son Gio and I was still contemplating on going. Considering our fallout, I figured it would be awkward to go even though I wanted to for the sake of seeing Damien again.

I didn't exactly take church worthy attire with me when planning my departure, so that was another dilemma of mine.

"Gio!" My attention was piqued and I looked over to see Gio approaching me at full speed. "Gio, wait I'm not done doing your hair." Melissa called after him as she stepped out of her room.

"Aunty Mimi!" He exclaimed, rounding the couch to jump into my arms. I smiled down at him, wrapping my arms around him before lifting him up to sit on my lap.

"Hello Gio." I enthused back, taking in his patterned button up and dark pants. "Don't you look handsome." I squeezed at his cheek, making him giggle.

Hearing Melissa approach from behind me, I craned my neck back to see her giving her son a look of disapproval paired with a hint of amusement. "He would be even more handsome if he'd let me finish his hair."

She made an attempt to take him from my arms but Gio slipped from my hold, now giddily running around the small living room.

Melissa let out a sigh, waving a dismissive hand at her son's hyper behaviour before she flopped down beside me, much to my surprise.

It was quiet between us for a moment, the sounds of Gio's play and the background noise of the tv playing being the only thing to fill it.

"So, are you ready then?" Melissa initiated the conversation. I wasn't sure what she meant by that. Maybe she wanted to finally talk and resolve the issue between us—at least I hoped.

"What do you mean?" I asked and Melissa looked me over in confusion.

"I thought you were coming with us?" She said as she readjusted her position on the couch.

"You still want me to come?" I blurted out and she frowned deeply, momentarily shifting her gaze away from me.

"Of course I do. It was stupid." She sighed. "It was childish and it was unfair of me to be so mad and upset with you. You don't exactly have much control over what's happened to you over these past few days and I was being a shitty friend for not supporting you better."

"Melli—"

"Having had a few run-ins with the law myself, I know what it's like having the police on your case. I guess I just—I don't know, I panicked. It's not an excuse and I'm sorry for giving you a hard time. You don't have to tell me about what's happened, I get it now—some things just have to be taken to the grave." She said while giving me a comforting smile.

"Now I just want things to go back to normal." Melissa concluded and I smiled in return.

"Same here." I replied. "And thank you for understanding."

Patting my exposed thigh, she stood up from the couch. "If you're coming with, I don't think that oversized shirt is going to cut it." She looked me up and down.

"Yeah, I figured." I chuckled. "I didn't exactly plan to bring any outfits for mass. I was in a rush." I said as I kicked my feet out.

"I've got some things you could wear." She offered and I followed after her to get ready.

Arriving at mass, we were met with a crowd of people. It wasn't as packed considering it was just a regular Sunday, however that didn't really matter. Whether people believed or were here to keep up appearances, the church never saw an empty service.

I recognised the many regulars who attended service along with the local townspeople who showed face, much like me, every once in a while. I spotted the likes of Loretta who was seated in the opposing aisle. Waving at her with a warm smile, she returned the gesture with a toothy motherly grin of her own, mouthing that we would catch up later.

Considering the events that transpired over the past few days I'd seen very little of Loretta. I missed the restaurant and the peace that once came with it.

Hopefully the matter with the police would soon settle if Damien kept his word and I wholeheartedly believed he would.

Despite how full the church was, a particular section in the back remained empty. That section belonged to the men who donned black suits—men like Damien. It didn't take long before he arrived with his family and their men in tow.

The light hearted chatter had settled upon their arrival and I took note of the nervous glint in the priest's eye as he made his appearance.

"Look who's here." I heard Melissa point out to me. Her gaze flickered to Damien who stood beside a tall woman with long dark hair, wrapped in an expensive looking shawl. She was much older and there was an uncanny resemblance between them—her being his mother of course. "Don't get too excited now." She teased and I lightly shoved her.

"Oh shut up." I threw back with a playful eye roll. She only chuckled lowly in response before turning her attention back onto Father Romano.

Throughout the service I found myself distracted. I would steal glances at Damien, taking note of how serious he looked as he listened to the sermons.

It wasn't until we'd locked eyes that his lips had lifted into a small smile at the sight of me. The longing glances never seemed to end throughout the service. The feeling of wanting to talk to each other despite being so far apart was nagging at me. An hour seemed like days but eventually that hour came to an end.

Once mass had ended, the congregation gradually moved outside where a number of people gathered to briefly talk.

I lost Melissa in the crowd but spotted Loretta approaching me as I descended the church steps.

"Oh cara mia!" She greeted me, bringing me into the warmth of her arms. How I missed her. "It's been too long."

Pulling away from me, she lowered her hands to my arms to get a good look at me. "Hey Lolo." I returned with a warm smile. "I missed you. I'm sorry I haven't been able to pay the restaurant a visit and with work. Things have been chaotic.."

"It's been more than chaotic." She hummed lowly. "The police—they've been looking for you." she trailed off with a frown.

My stomach turned at Loretta's revelation. Why was I surprised? I hadn't shown up to my work place in days and I'd fled my apartment after their visit—they were bound to go looking for me in other places.

"What did they say?" I asked, both nervous and curious to know.

"They talked about wishing to talk things out with you but you weren't at work and you weren't at your apartment either. They asked me for your whereabouts, and I told them that maybe you'd left town. I told them that we hadn't been in contact since your last shift and left it at that." She explained.

"They weren't pleased with this Mina." Loretta stated, recalling her encounter with the Police Officers. Pulling me to the side where there were less people, Loretta parted her lips to add. "Whatever you've gotten yourself involved in—"

"It's fine." I interjected in a wavering tone. It wasn't fine—none of this was fine. I felt anxious all of a sudden, scared to even look over my shoulder in fear that those police officers would be somewhere in the shadows waiting for me.

Loretta looked me over with a knowing gaze. "Mina.." she trailed off and I knew I was in for a lecture. I didn't need one to know that I was in deep shit, this was to be expected after all.

What other outcome would come from being involved with a gangster other than the unwanted attention of the law.

"I'll be fine Lolo, honestly." I tried to come across as believable as possible but even I had difficulty believing myself at this moment. "I'll fix things."

In seconds my excitement at the temporary notion of my freedom had been quelled by Loretta's revelation and I was left in distress once again.

Did I even want to see Damien again at this point?

I wanted to flee again, to hide from the world as I did these past few days but where could I go now?

She pursed her lips together, her gaze softening on me before her dark eyes cast over my shoulder. There was a gleam of recognition in her aged eyes once they'd set on a figure approaching. "I just want you to be careful..." She uttered in her usual motherly tone. "You aren't like them—like him. Their world isn't for people like us and I know it's best to not speak on it but you must realise now before it's too late. Once you are a part of it, there is no getting out."

The words dripped from her lips with warning but like a deer in headlights I could only stare as it hit me head on.

A chill ran up my spine after feeling the warmth of a body draw close to me from behind. I didn't have to turn to know who it was, his scent alone had me in a pleasurable vice.

Accompanied by this was the weight of his hand. It rested rightfully on my lower back, circling skilfully to my hip.

My heart raced and for a brief second my fears dissipated when I craned my neck to meet Damien's stare.

His gaze was gentle with a hint of care and a fistful of admiration. The look alone had me in shambles—it had me once again conflicted about my situation.

Loretta's presence was no longer acknowledged in my mind, despite feeling the heat of her stare. I knew she stared at me with a look of worry mingled with a knowing sadness.

Knowing that in that moment, all I saw was him.

"I hope I'm not interrupting." Damien spoke up, his lips lifting at the corner into a charming half grin.

Loretta gave him a tight smile, shaking her head. "We were just catching up. I haven't seen Mina in a while and I just had to talk to her." Loretta replied, darting her eyes from Damien to me. "So much has happened but we are all up to date now." Her words were full of meaning.

"Then you wouldn't mind if I borrowed her for a minute?" Damien said.

Loretta's smile faltered for a second before picking up again. It looked like she wanted to say something to me but decided against it. "She's all yours." She uttered, stepping toward me to pull me into another embrace before quickly dismissing herself.

I watched her retreat to the other side of the church grounds to a group of women who conversed lightly. I felt guilty—guilty that I'd made a choice by accepting to be around Damien despite Loretta's fair warning.

I wondered if it was the right one.

"I'm glad you came." Damien's raspy tone drew me from my thoughts.

"I said I would." I replied with a smile that didn't seem to reach my eyes. I hoped it was good enough but from how Damien's gaze narrowed slightly, it clearly wasn't.

"Something's bothering you." He pointed out.

I shook my head, brushing him off. "It's nothing." I avoided his stare.

When I couldn't look at him, he lifted his hand to take a hold of my chin, tilting it upwards."You're a terrible liar, tesoro." Damien countered. "Tell me what's bothering you." It wasn't a suggestion, it was a caring command and I struggled to go against it.

"Look—" I trailed off, my tone wavering as my gaze flickered to the side. The stares we were receiving were far from discreet. "I'll tell you later." I pulled away from him, growing increasingly anxious at the attention on us.

If it wasn't news enough that we'd been seen together on dates, our interaction on the church grounds surely would make it to the salon chairs and dinner tables of local gossipers.

"Mina—" Damien tried to say but he was interrupted by a feminine voice chiming in.

"Well hello." I turned to see the woman who sat beside Damien during service, quickly recognising her to be his mother. "Won't you introduce me to this beauty, Damien?" Her voice had this elegant rasp to it, her words dripping smoothly past her rouge stained lips.

The look in Damien's eyes promised me that our conversation would continue sooner than later but for now introductions were in order. "Mamma, this is Mina. Mina—my mother." He paused.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs Moretti." I took a hold of her outstretched hand, shaking it. Her grip was firm as she shook my hand but in a welcoming manner.

"Likewise." She replied with a gentle smile. She carried this grace that was unmatched—similar to her daughter but not as cold. "So, I assume Damien has invited you over for lunch?" She said,

I looked up at Damien, letting out a shy laugh. "Oh no. We were just talking—"

"A shame." She shot her son a disapproving look, disappointed that he hadn't made the offer sooner. "I'll be the one to invite you then. You must come over, we always have these small get togethers after service. It keeps the family happy." She insisted.

Damien's hand, which had fallen back to its rightful place at my hip, squeezed me gently.

I assumed he wanted me to agree.

I mean how could I say no?

"I'd love to, Mrs Moretti." I replied, mirroring her warm smile.

"Call me Yvonne."

After my conversation with Yvonne, I'd left Damien and his mother to go and find Melissa. I told her that I'd be spending Lunch with Damien and his family to which she responded cheekily with, 'Don't have too much fun.'.

She told me that Cori would be coming over later today and to tell her everything after I finished up with Damien's family.

Before I knew it, I was in the passenger seat of Damien's car, waiting patiently for him to question me. I was nervous again.

He hadn't looked at me once he'd entered the car and started the engine. I stole glances over at him, taking in his side profile.We drove in silence for about ten minutes before he finally spoke up.

"So, are you going to tell me what's bothering you?" He asked. "Now seems like the right time." He added, making me look over at him.

"I guess I'll have to." I muttered, tearing my gaze away to look out the window as the outside world passed us by. "It was Lolo. We caught up like she said but it wasn't what I expected." I paused, taking a moment to recall her words.

"She got a visit from those police officers that've been harassing me. Apparently, they're looking for me and they're not too pleased with the idea that I've disappeared." I continued. "But what's new, right?"

"They won't come near you, Mina." His words held promise. "After I get things together, they'll be taken care of and you won't have to worry about them anymore. They'll be just a memory."

They'll be dead. That's what he meant.

More bloodshed. I didn't know how to feel about it—there were so many emotions. Relief, guilt, anger and fear mixed together into a melting pot of emotional turmoil.

There was no other way to get rid of Pete and Jamie and I had to accept that—even if it was a sinful choice.

"I need you to trust me. I need you to know that this is just a small inconvenience and that you shouldn't worry anymore because I will take care of it." The conviction in his tone was reassuring. "Look at me, tesoro."

I looked over at Damien again, meeting his gaze briefly as he flickered his sights from the street to me. "Do you trust me?" He asked.

Determination set in his dark eyes ensnared equally with a gleam of promise and reassurance. He would most definitely carry out his plan efficiently and the impending demise of Pete and Jamie was coming sooner than they expected.

"I trust you." My voice a soft murmur.

"Good."

Arriving at Damien's family home, I was left in awe. Their property was large and privately gated away from the outside world. An equally large Manor that was old in design towered greatly over us.

"This place is beautiful." I uttered in admiration as Damien helped me out of the passenger seat. Gingerly taking steps closer towards the large entryway, I paused to take it all in.

"Don't let my ma hear that or else she'll give you a grand tour." He commented. "Then you'll never get the chance to leave."

"You'd like that, I'm sure." I quipped, earning a low chuckle in response.

My stomach fluttered with endless butterflies when Damien closed the gap between us, drawing me into his side where his head lowered to whisper in my ear. "That I would."

I could only muster a shy 'of course.", in response before allowing Damien to whisk me away into the Gothic styled Manor.

Many guards patrolled the grounds, all serious looking and intimidating in stature. However, when Damien made his presence known, they all acknowledged him with respect.

We came to a halt at a smaller dining area where we were met with the sight of Damien's family. They were all seated, lightly conversing with each other before their attention shifted to Damien and I standing in the doorway.

From the looks of it, Roberto was the only person not present.

"Finally, I thought you'd never arrive." Yvonne was the first to greet us as she rose to her feet. She approached us, giving Damien a short embrace before moving onto me.

I accepted the warmth of her hug as well as the chasté kisses she placed on my cheeks. "You have a beautiful home, Yvonne." I complimented her and she smiled proudly.

"Thank you, Mina. Our home has been in the Moretti line for generations, dating back to the mid 1900s, I would say. I must give you a tour later on, we have much to discuss." She looped her arm with mine.

Damien shot me an 'I told you so' look as his mother guided me towards the table.

"You sit here, cara mia." She pointed to the seat beside Olympia who had yet to spare me a glance. Taking my seat next to her after Damien had pulled it out for me, I dared to take a glimpse over at the withdrawn woman.

"Olympia, I'm sure you've already introduced yourself to our guest." Yvonne's accented voice sounded. She was seated across from me, adjacent to her Husband I assumed, who took the head seat.

"We are acquainted." Olympia sipped from her glass.

There was a momentary silence after Olympia's chipped response but it was quickly broken before it could fester by Yvonne who cleared her throat.

"How forgetful of me, Papà—this is Mina." She introduced me to Damien's grandfather who sat at the other end of the table. "Mina, this is Vito, Damien's grandfather."

The elderly man who sat hunched in his seat had a pleasant smile on his face while he eyed me. The look in his eyes held a spirit of reminiscence as well as an air of admiration. Overall, it was welcoming.

"Ah yes, I've heard many things about you, cara mia—all good things of course, though they don't seem to do you justice. Damien here can't stop talking about you..." Vito croaked out sweetly making Damien roll his eyes playfully.

"Nonno.." his cheeks grew warm slightly at the fact that his grandfather was exposing him.

I let out a light laugh, commenting. "That's good to know." I lifted the glass I'd been given which was filled with water.

Taking a sip, Vito chimed once again. "So, you are his girlfriend? Soon to be his wife, I hope?" Vito stated. I almost choked while Olympia let out a snort beside me.

"Nonno.." Damien once again spoke up.

"Damien desidera.." Olympia muttered into her wine glass, earning a scowl from Damien. (Damien wishes.)

"Oh no, uh, we're just um.." I looked over at Damien awkwardly, not knowing what to say. "We're just talking."

Vito hummed lowly at my response. "Well talk faster." Yvonne added. "Devin hasn't seen an event in years..." she hinted at marriage and my face grew increasingly warm.

"Really ma?" Damien deadpanned.

She only lightly shrugged her shoulders, a coy smile gracing her rouge lips. Our attention soon shifted to Damien's father who cleared his throat.

Having not yet been introduced, Yvonne spoke again. "Sorry, this is Salazar, Damien's father. My very quiet husband." She took a hold of his hand which rested on the dining table.

I took note of the large rings on his fingers that were similar to Damien's.

"Anche mio padre, nel caso ti fossi dimenticato che ero qui.." Olympia interjected. Yvonne glared disapprovingly over at her daughter before shaking her head dismissively. (My father too, just in case you forgot I was here)

"Pleasure to meet you." I respectfully nodded over at him.

"Welcome to our home." His voice was low and raspy like Damien's but much colder and sharp. Every word dripped from his lips like a command and I would be lying if I said his scrutinising stare didn't intimidate me.

"Thank you. It's beautiful." I replied warmly.

He hummed in response, a brief silence washing over the table afterwards. "So, how did you two..meet?" He asked, curious to know.

I didn't know why I felt like he already knew the answer. It was in the way he looked at me, like he knew everything there was to know about me.

"Pa-"

"Le ho chiesto." Salazar's gaze didn't leave me as he addressed his son. Giving me a nod of confirmation, he urged me to speak up. (I asked her.)

"I work at Loretta's and that's where we met." I answered. "Damien's a regular customer and we saw each other a fair amount."

"I'm sure his regular visits were because of you, rather than the food." Salazar quipped and I let out a light laugh. Damien on the other hand stared his father down.

I sensed tension between them.

"Loretta's dishes are a hard contender." I said.

"That they are." Salazar agreed. "Do you enjoy working there? I hear it's growing increasingly popular following its renovation."

"I do. I mean working with Loretta is great, she's like a mother to me and I'm grateful to have her in my life. I've learned so much from her these past months that I've been in Devin."

"What of your own mother?" My smile faltered at his comment.

"Papà." Warning oozed from Damien's lips but his father did well to ignore him.

"It's just a question. If she's not comfortable answering it, she has the freedom to do so." He chimed.

"It's fine." I shook off. "I'm not really on speaking terms with my parents."

"That's a shame. Family is very important." He frowned. "-but you are always welcome here." He said.

"Thank you."

"Speaking of Family, where is Roberto?!" Vito chimed in, taking note of the middle child's absence.

"No idea. He wasn't at mass today, so I assume he is elsewhere." Yvonne frowned, not pleased with the fact Roberto was missing out on lunch. "Hopefully, he will show face later today but for now we eat!"

Lunch went smoothly with the Moretti's. It was strange seeing how mundane they were despite their family business. It was like a normal family.

Jokes were being made and even more surprisingly, Olympia was somewhat warming up to me. Was it too good to be true?

After lunch, Yvonne had invited me on a tour of the manor to which I agreed much to Damien's disapproval.

"I like you Mina..." Yvonne spoke after a moment of silence.

We had been walking around their mansion for what felt like a good hour. She had given me a grand tour, stating countless times she couldn't wait for me to come visit again to show me more.

We were currently in one of the indoor gardens located in the right wing of the manor. It was quiet here and there wasn't anyone around, aside from a few guards who lingered around.

"Thank you." I bashfully returned.

"I see how my son looks at you and I must say I'm taken. He's very private when it comes to relationships and you would be the first he's introduced to us, despite you saying that you two are just..talking." She said,

"I'm going to be frank with you, cara mia. I'm sure you are aware of what he does and of what we are and the consequences that come with that?" She paused in her stride, turning to face me.

"Are you willing to put your life behind for the sake of a relationship with my son, because I want to remind you that being hot and cold with your decision will do more harm than good." She continued.

I pondered for a few minutes, my throat running dry as I came to the realisation that this was indeed it. My life would no longer be the same with Damien and I had to get it wrapped around my head if we pursued things further.

"This isn't a fairytale, this is real life and in this life, in his life people like us die. It's harsh, I know but it's reality. You will not get to live in a big blue house with a white picket fence while you sit on a clean porch, watching your grandchildren run around you in circles with Damien beside you." She lectured me with a fierce but warm look.

"You will live to see him come home late at night with the blood of your enemies on his hands, not his enemies but also yours, because what is his will be yours. You will go to more funerals than weddings. You will bury friends and family along the way but you will do so with a smile on your face and a gleam of everlasting vengeance in your eyes." She continued to speak and I couldn't help but to drink every word as though I had been deprived of any means of water.

"You will wake up during the nights, clutching him close when you feel him slip away and you will be forced to let him go." Yvonne stated with this knowing look of sadness as she eyed me. "You will become everything he needs and vice versa. He may be the head, but you are the damn neck and you can turn the head in every direction possible. Do you understand me?"

I nodded my head, quickly answering her.

"You must make that choice and when you do, you better stick with it because there is no going back either way."

"I understand." Was all I could muster. It was a lot to take in.

She was right. I couldn't be hot and cold about how I felt with Damien. If what I wanted was to be with him, that came with accepting every adversary that came our way.

Including the cops.

I trusted Damien and I was equally falling hard for him.

"Good." She hummed, tapping my chin up. "Don't be in a rush to decide. These things take time and I'm sure Damien will be patient enough and wait for your decision."

"Onto other things. Are you aware that Damien's birthday is coming up?" She informed me and I nodded my head.

I remembered his birthday was in late November.

"Well good because I'll be throwing a bash for him, you must come."

"I'd love to but I'm not too sure what to get him." I sheepishly replied.

My words made her laugh. "Oh cara mia, you being there will be a present enough. In his eyes, you're all he needs."

"Today was eventful." I smiled after Damien parked his car in front of Melissa's apartment. "Your family—they're very..welcoming." I recalled Yvonne's warmth and Vito's kindness as well as Salazar's curiosity.

"That it was. Sorry about my father, he's always trying to figure people out to get a better feel for them."

"I figured—with the mini interrogation, though—cliché, I expected it to come from your mother."

"I'm surprised she didn't but I'm sure she quizzed you well when taking you on that tour."

"She did her job." I quipped. "About your birthday, I'll go." Recalling Yvonne's invite.

"Having you there will be the best birthday gift a man could ask for." I shook my head at his charms.

"Shut up." I playfully pushed his arm. My sights flickered from him to the time which showed on his dashboard. It was almost 8pm?!

I'd spent a majority of the day with him and his family without really realising it. "It's etting late." I commented. "And I'm sure the girls are pacing back and forth waiting for me."

"I can't keep them waiting can I?" He suggested, wanting to spend more time with me. I fought a smile.

"It wouldn't be a wise choice. I'll see you around, Damien." I laughed, exiting the car.

After closing the door, Damien stepped out on the other side, calling out to me. "Wait Mina." I looked over at him, watching as he circled around the front to meet me on the path

"Are you free tomorrow?" He asked with a toothy grin.

"You couldn't ask me that in the car?" I shook my head.

Leaning back against the door of his car with my arms crossed, he closed the gap between us, resting one hand on the roof of his car and the other to my hip.

"Well it only came to mind after watching you leave and I figured it would be a smart move to buy more time with you." He answered.

"You're not sick of seeing me?" I laughed, gazing up at him.

"Never." He rasped and my knees almost buckled underneath me. "Seeing you makes my day."

"Only day?" I teased and he chuckled lowly. My coy smile faltered and a shy one took its place when he drew closer to me, my confidence now crippling and my nerves taking centre stage.

"Every second is more like it." He corrected himself. "Being around you, takes my mind off things. Time has no place when I'm with you."

God, this man.

"I'm a distraction then?" My voice a gentle murmur as I peered up at him through my curtained gaze.

"Distractions are temporary and that's not what I'm looking for, tesoro." His dark eyes flickered from my own to my lips before meeting my gaze again. "You're more than that to me."

"What're you looking for then?" I uttered softly.

"A relationship." He answered truthfully.

My head tilted coyly to the side, a small smile gracing my lips. "With who?!" I teased earning a chuckle.

"You're going to make me say it?" He played along. I nodded my head, readjusting my arms which were crossed over my chest as I awaited a response. "With you."

"Little ol' me? I'll have to think about it." I grinned. He playfully rolled his eyes, lifting his free hand to rest against his chest.

"You're breakin' my heart again, tesoro." His face was just centimetres away now and if I leaned up just a tiny bit more, we would meet.

"I'll do well to fix it," I slipped from underneath him, circling around him to approach the stairs to Melissa's apartment building. "-on our next date." I added quickly after.

Drawing me near to him again, he took a hold of my hand. "Tomorrow then?"

"Tomorrow." I agreed, smiling ear to ear. When I made the move to pull away from him, he tugged me back gently into him, wrapping his arm over my shoulder.

"Lemme walk you in." He gazed down at me and I found myself transfixed. Wordlessly I nodded, allowing him to accompany me into the building.

He had me grinning constantly during our short walk to Melissa's floor. My stomach erupted with butterflies and my heart was doing backflips due to his endless charm.

I was falling and I knew he'd catch me.

"This is my stop." I peered up at him from his side. Lowering my hand down from his chest, he lifted it back up again to bring it to his lips.

My cheeks grew increasingly warm.

We stared silently at each other, words didn't have to be spoken to know that what we both felt in that moment was real.

My gaze lowered to his lips for a moment before darting up to meet his own which had lowered to mine. Gradually we drew closer, gingerly closing the gap between us as his hands fell to my hips and mine to his chest.

Just a breath away now, I felt my stomach flutter again before his lips fell to mine. I melted into the warmth of his touch, a sigh of content passed my lips as his grip tightened around my waist. He claimed me in that moment as his own, his tongue diving into my mouth, parting it open.

I gripped his shirt, tugging him closer while he emitted a throaty groan. The fiery kiss was everything that I imagined and more, I didn't want it to end but I knew better.

Pulling away breathlessly, my cheeks remained warm as I shifted my gaze down. "Cori and um Melli." I blurted out, not knowing what to say after our kiss. "God they're going to freak out when they see you—if they're not already at the door watching." I glanced over at Melissa's door.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were hovering over the peep hole. I briefly imagined them running back to the living room, pretending to act normal, the thought making me laugh to myself quietly.

God that kiss had me daydreaming and rambling all at once.

Damien licked his lips, savouring the taste of our kiss and I almost passed out on the spot. Turning away from him in hopes of gathering myself, I reached into my bag to get Melissa's spare key.

About to unlock the door, my giddy smile fell once I realised the door was already open. Slowly pushing it, I was greeted with a sight that made me gasp in shock.

I slowly entered Melissa's apartment with Damien in tow, where we saw her things had been trashed. The adjacent kitchen near the living room had plates on the floor and Gio's high chair had been flipped over.

The rest of the apartment followed suit in a tornado of destruction.

"What happened?!" My voice broke as I took it all in. "Melli!" I called out, racing down the hall to her room but she wasn't there.

"Melli! Cori?!"

Running my hands over my face in distress, I looked around frantically for any sign of her or Cori or Gio. "Mina." Damien drew close to me but my mind was elsewhere.

I patted myself down in search of my phone, which I retrieved from my back pocket. Unlocking it, I was met with ten missed calls and text messages from both Melissa and Cori.

The guilt ate away at me.

I tried calling Melissa but it went straight to voicemail. "Please, please pick up." I pleaded quietly. Nervously gnawing on my bottom lip, I began to pace after I tried calling Cori too.

It went to voicemail too.

"Shit!" I exclaimed, my voice cracking slightly. My eyes began to water and my throat hurt from closing up. I was scared out of my mind, worried about what happened to Melissa and Cori and Gio.

Damien drew me into his arm, his warm embrace calming me for a moment before panic set in. "It was the cops, it had to be?! I mean Melissa she um, she said to me that something like this could happen and I just allowed it?! I led them here—"

"It's not your fault Mina." Damien reassured me, titling my chin up to look at me. "Those cops are dirty and they'll do anything they can to get at me through you."

"But it is?!" I sniffled, leaning into his touch as he wiped away the traitor of a tear that trickled down my cheek.

"Look, they could be somewhere else. Maybe they came after the cops did this and went to Cori's place."

"Or Melissa's mom's place—" I chimed in. "I have to try and reach them."

"We can't do it here." Damien said. "They might come back." He was right.

"Let me just get my stuff and then we can go and check Melissa's mom's place?" I wiped my face, after pulling away from Damien. "God, this is so unfair." I muttered meekly.

"I'll have things taken care of. Lemme make some calls, ok?" I only nodded wordlessly in response, watching as Damien retreated down the hall.

I moved to Melissa's room, stepping over the broken glass and knocked over furniture in search of my duffel bag.

I searched high and low but it wasn't here, so I assumed Melissa probably took it with her. My assumption was proven right when I noticed how empty one section of her closet was.

She'd packed a bag for herself and Gio too.

Reaching for my phone to call her again, I waited anxiously as the dial tone rang. "Please pick up Mel.." I whispered in desperation.

"Hello?! Mina!" My heart dropped and my nerves momentarily dwindled at the sound of Melissa's voice.

"Melli?! Are you guys okay?! I'm so sorry I missed you and Cori's calls, I left my phone in Damien's car and I just lost track of time—" I blurted out.

"We're fine." She sighed. "Just shaken up—look I'll explain everything in person. Me and Cori are at my mom's right now. Meet us there, yeah?"

"Yeah, of course. I'm sorry again Melli, I really really am." She didn't respond and the silence between us made my guilt worsen.

"Just be careful." Was all she said before the call ended.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

504K 7.9K 15
โ”๐“๐‡๐„ ๐Œ๐€๐…๐ˆ๐€ ๐๐”๐„๐„๐ ๐€๐๐ƒ ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐ˆ๐“๐€๐‹๐ˆ๐€๐ ๐‚๐€๐๐Ž โ›They call you the temptress of the night. A woman trained to kill; a weapon equi...
72.7K 2.2K 31
The billionaire, The discreet submissive, The hurt, The lies, So blindsided by lust, So blindside by hurt, Will they survive?
958K 18.8K 18
๐€ ๐œ๐ก๐ข๐ฅ๐'๐ฌ ๐ข๐ง๐ง๐จ๐œ๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐ง๐จ ๐จ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ Book Two in The Bittersweet Series. Created: 04/01/20 Published: 05/01/20 Completed...
324K 6.5K 45
A lot can happen in the span of five months. But will she allow her feelings and emotions to change? For him? [Editing] Copyright ยฉ 2022 secretlyyxur...