Mark My Words

By linkever

Due to an instance of sabotage, Rosalie loathes Joanna Spencer. Suffice to say that Rosalie would, if she cou... More

| prologue |
| the characters |
1 | The Betting Pool
2 | Soccer Camp Mishap
3 | (Non)Existent Lovelife
4 | Oy Vey
5 | Taming The Devil
6 | Deal With The Devil
7 | "I Don't Flirt"
8 | Sleeping For The Wrong Team
9 | Partners In Crime
10 | He Ain't Shit
11 | Ball-Kicking Extravaganza
12 | Unstoppable
13 | 20/20
14 | Carpool Gal
15 | Talkin' 'Bout The Car Wash
16 | Think Of Me Fondly
17 | Vibe
18 | Red Flag
19 | Fight The System
20 | The Berry Residence
21 | Gay Crises
22 | Romance Professional
23 | Guardian Of The Dance
24 | Strange Naked Strangers
25 | Bi-Curious
26 | Finally Facing My Waterloo
27 | Kidnapped By Bradshaw
28 | No Date List
29 | Training For Glory
30 | Awkward...
31 | Bi-Bros
32 | Jamie's Day
33 | Jamie's Defenders
34 | The Getaway
35 | Deal Breaker
36 | Last Shot
| Part Two |
37 | What's The Plan?
38 | Pittmen Party Crashers
39 | Bait
40 | Putting On A Show
41 | Going Downhill
42 | Thievery
43 | Send-Off
44 | Eagle Sighting
45 | Right Swipe, Left Swipe
46 | Blackmail
47 | Who Do You Think I Am?
48 | Coven Contract
49 | Matching Set
50 | Basic Geometry
51 | The Rat
52 | Dignity
53 | Back With The Madness
54 | Aftermath
55 | Game Plan
56 | Delaware Beware
57 | Sisterhood
58 | Confession
59 | Care About Her
61 | Preparing For Battle
62 | Practice Makes Perfect
63 | Kissing Contenders
64 | Sneak Attack
65 | Intruder Alert
66 | The Darling Dilemma
67 | Sanity, Or Lack Thereof
68 | Position of Power
69 | Naughty Or Nice
70 | Pics Or It Didn't Happen
71 | Deal With It
72 | Joanna, The Lieutenant, and I
73 | Seattle Awaits
74 | Bad News
75 | Ruin Her
| Part Three |
76 | Pick A Side
77 | Her Scar
78 | Intimidation Tactics
79 | Badassery
80 | Conspiracy Theorizing
81 | Partners? Not Anymore
82 | A Little Reminder Required
83 | Mamma Mia, But Make It Gay
84 | Codependency Contract
85 | Spruce Up
86 | Special Guest Star
87 | It's The End Of The World
88 | The In-Law
89 | Bet
90 | Audience of One
91 | Stupid Decisions
92 | Funeral Preparations
93 | We Need To Talk
94 | And... Break!
95 | No Harm, No Foul
| character profiles |

60 | Party Favors

4.7K 230 137
By linkever

"I'm worried about Ray," Rosalie confessed to Sami that Sunday over a mug of hot apple cider. Tante Bee made an excellent homemade cider, and as Rosalie stirred it with a cinnamon stick, Sami sat on the far edge of his bed, legs crossed, a paint brush in hand.

Sami laid a thick stroke of acrylic paint onto the canvas sitting on his easel. He hummed in acknowledgement, head tipping to the side. "She seemed happy in Delaware," he said.

"I know, but... she doesn't smile all that much, but she was so smiley in Delaware. I think she just didn't want us to know she was hurting."

"Over Lennie? Yeah right," he scoffed.

Rosalie pushed her cheek against her knee as she muttered a pitiful, "I guess..."

Sami twisted around to look at her, and groaned at the sight of her sad-looking form. He took a sip from his mug before setting his cider aside. He twirled his paint brush in a jar of water. "I suppose there's the chance that Ray's torn up about the guy, but this is Pittmen we're talking about. Not exactly the catch of the day—I'm talking about his personality. Physically, he is quite the specimen..."

"Your point," Rosalie grumbled.

"Ray's just gotta find a new hottie. Take Mark, for example."

"Does Mark even like Ray?"

"Mark likes everybody," Sami said, as though it was common knowledge. Rosalie had to admit, Mark was a delightful guy. She was certain she never once saw him in a bad mood. He was rational, sweet... a little like Ray, in that aspect. Though, Ray was aggressive, and Rosalie couldn't picture Mark arguing with her. She couldn't date a guy who didn't have an argumentative backbone.

"What about Dylan?" Rosalie offered.

Initially, Sami snorted at the idea, but then they both got to thinking about it. Dylan would certainly be competition for Ray. Rosalie could picture them as gym buddies, but perhaps... not romantic buddies.

"He's too much of a knucklehead," Sami said.

"Yeah, you're right. Michael Lancaster's also a bit of a knucklehead," Rosalie sighed, scratching at her hair. Michael, the idiot who scraped his arms up on the pavement catching a goose, was hilarious but dimwitted. Ray would definitely be looking for humor in whatever guy she dated, so in that aspect, Michael was still in the running.

"I guess we wouldn't know unless we set up some speed-dating shenanigans," Sami said.

"They'd probably go for it," Rosalie said. She brought her mug to her lips and asked, "Do you know of any Adam kids who would date Ray?"

"Absolutely," he said. He dragged the bristles of his brush over the curve of Ray's neck on the canvas, defining the highlight on her skin. He had the photographed portrait pinned on the wall, and he looked at it as he said, "I would definitely be down for hosting a meat-fest in Ray's honor."

"Please don't call it that," Rosalie said. "And maybe she is into girls. We should invite some girls, too."

"Ray isn't vegetarian, hunny."

"You realize there's vegan meat, right?" Rosalie said.

Sami turned around to stare at her. Rosalie lifted her eyebrows at him, and he put a hand to his heart and whispered, "Rosie."

Since Sami would be little help with enlisting girls of Ray's type, Rosalie decided to go to Joanna, but not before doing research. She spent Monday scanning the rows of desks in her classes and penning a list of people she thought were appropriate for Ray. In English class, she met Juliana early to ask for opinions.

As she held out the paper, Juliana pursed her lips and studied it with an intensity Rosalie only saw as competition across the centerline. Rosalie raised her eyebrows as Juliana picked up her pen and scratched out several names on the list.

"Trust me—we aren't looking for pushovers," Juliana said, leveling Rosalie with her pen. Rosalie nodded in agreement. "And honestly, if we're just, like, testing the waters, then I think you should ask Joanna."

"I know, I was planning on asking her for help," Rosalie said. Juliana huffed a little, and Rosalie frowned as she realized it was surprise. "What's so weird about that?"

Juliana eyed her, and Rosalie shrugged. "Rosie, I mean ask Joanna to make out with Ray," she hissed.

Rosalie gasped so hard she choked. She coughed into her elbow, face red with horror. She slapped a hand over her face.

Juliana leaned across her desk to whisper-shout, "It's not like you two are a thing yet! Besides, haven't you heard of platonic kissing?"

"No! Kissing is never platonic!" Rosalie cried, squeaking when several heads at the circle turned to her. The teacher wasn't in the room yet, but somehow, Joanna was, and in that moment, Joanna leaned in between them, coming into view.

"Are we talking about kissing?" Joanna asked. "Because I know a thing or two about that."

Juliana scoffed and stuck Rosalie's list in the air. Joanna plucked it up as Juliana explained, "Rosie, Sami, and I are planning a party. We're only inviting potential suitors for Ray."

"Oh, interesting, I love this exclusively female list," Joanna said.

"We're trying to decide who to ask," Rosalie rasped out, still traumatized. "Sami's calling it a meat-fest because all we have right now are guys." She looked to Juliana, who lifted her eyebrows at Rosalie and looked pointedly at Joanna and back. Rosalie swallowed hard before saying, "And... Juliana suggested... since Ray doesn't know whether or not she likes girls... that you should..."

"I should... what, exactly?" Joanna said.

Juliana shimmied in her seat, a pompous smile on her face. "Make out with Ray a little."

Rosalie covered her cheeks, but she couldn't take her eyes off of Joanna. Joanna kept on staring at Juliana until the teacher walked into the room, at which point, she realized she needed to take a seat. Joanna folded up the paper and flicked it onto Rosalie's desk. Rosalie scrambled to catch it before it could fall, and she stared after Joanna.

Joanna took the last empty seat a few people over. She was still staring at Juliana, who looked like she was ready to make trouble. Once class commenced, Joanna scoffed a little and looked away, propping her chin up on her hand as lecture started.

Rosalie couldn't stop thinking about it all through class. It took that entire time for her to actually visualize it, and the image in her head stuck with her past the threshold of the English classroom and into the hall where Juliana tugged Rosalie to a halt so they could wait for Joanna's response.

Joanna emerged from the crowd of kids from the room. She looked down the hall and back to them before sidling up, a hand stuffed in her pocket. Her button-up shirt was rolled up to her elbows, an entire three buttons undone. Rosalie sucked in a deep breath and held it as Joanna opened her mouth.

"Sounds like fun," she said.

"Really?" Juliana said, suddenly sounding less interested in the idea.

Joanna shrugged. "Yeah. No strings attached. Just to see if she likes kissing chicks. Then you idiots don't have to bother a bunch of other girls if it's all for naught."

"Yeah, I guess that makes sense," Juliana sighed.

"I thought you were into it," Joanna said with a laugh. "Now I'm just gonna do it out of spite, Miss Lane."

"Please don't," Rosalie said with a grimace.

Joanna looked instantly at her. Rosalie sucked in her breath, eyes wide, and in the next moment, Joanna shrugged and said, "Alright. I won't kiss her."

"What? But you just said you would!" Juliana shouted.

Joanna brought her fist up like she was about to strangle Juliana. Juliana shrieked, cowering behind Rosalie as Joanna hissed, "Make up your goddamn mind."

Juliana stepped away. Joanna took a threatening step towards her, and in a panic, Juliana fled. "I change my mind! I don't want to be a part of this anymore!" she shouted back at them as she ducked into the current of students and ran off to her next class.

Rosalie stared at Joanna, who cursed under her breath as she fixed the sleeve on her button up. Joanna met her eyes, and Rosalie couldn't help but scowl at her. Joanna didn't seem surprised, though, and followed up with a toothy grin. "You're jealous," she said.

Rosalie swore her blood pressure skyrocketed. "Yeah right!" she seethed, but the venom in her voice was enough evidence against her.

She spun away and started off, hoping to avoid the flare of jealousy scorching her chest. She rubbed her hand against it, furious with herself for overreacting.

They had less than three minutes to get to their next class, but Joanna ignored it. She caught Rosalie by the hand and tugged her to a halt in the middle of the hallway. Rosalie squeaked as Joanna yanked her to the side, cutting between a crowd of sophomores to get to the girls restroom.

Rosalie protested, saying, "We have to get to class—"

Joanna kicked the bathroom door shut and pushed Rosalie by the shoulders into the wall next it. Rosalie gasped, her hands going to Joanna's arms and holding tight.

Joanna captured Rosalie's breath with an open kiss, her tongue laving against Rosalie's mouth as she pulled at her bottom lip. Rosalie shut her eyes to the motion, caving instantly, the tension expelling from her body as Joanna held her by the neck and dragged her forward. Their lips collided with more fervor, and Rosalie was certain she could have missed the bell if it weren't for the toilet that flushed several paces away.

Rosalie leant back, her shoulders slumping against the tiles. She stared at Joanna, contented by the intense way Joanna searched her eyes. Joanna, it seemed, was looking for the answer to a question she didn't want to speak aloud.

"Tell me what you want from me," Joanna whispered against Rosalie's lips.

Rosalie pushed off of the wall. Joanna took a step back, only to still as Rosalie only came closer. Their foreheads touched, and Rosalie caught a hint of Joanna's perfume, or perhaps it was leftover aroma from her shampoo.

Whatever it was, Rosalie closed her eyes against the scent as she said, "Don't do that again, please." Given her current euphoria, it was obvious that she was talking about Joanna and Juliana conspiring, about hinting at the idea of kissing other people.

Over all of this, she decided one thing: There's no such thing as platonic kissing, at least not to her.

"Are we monogamous then?" Joanna said. Rosalie opened her eyes, and Joanna kept her gaze steady, waiting for the answer. "If we aren't, then tell me why."

"We are," Rosalie said, quickly. "If... you want us to be. I don't—I don't want whatever happened in Delaware to end just because we're back in Montgomery."

"Good," Joanna agreed. She nodded firmly, her expression set. She stepped away from Rosalie, who let out a relieved sigh. "Glad that's cleared up. Now let's get a move on, Killer."

***

Ray didn't show up to study hall that day, or the day after. Likewise, Lennie looked glum again. Well, as glum as he could be. The guy had an impeccable reputation for being the most stoic-looking guy in the grade. Rosalie wouldn't have noticed had Jamie-Lee not pointed it out after French period as they walked to the cafeteria that Tuesday.

"This is bad," Jamie said. "He only ever sighed this much after Harper. I think he's seriously depressed. He's so distracted, too. He almost ran a red light this morning on the way to school."

"Did he actually like Ray?" Rosalie asked. Jamie blew out his breath and coupled it with a shrug and an uncertain nod. "Really?"

"We're talkin' about a guy who's never asked a girl out in his life. Harper asked him out. And he pours his heart and soul out to Ray? That's gotta mean something," he said. He slapped his hands down on his legs and shook his head pitifully. Lennie was way ahead of them, and the chaos in the corridor prevented him from eavesdropping.

Rosalie withered a little, heartbroken. Lennie never would have gone through this emotional agony had she not tampered with Ray's Tinder account. "Well, I think Ray really likes him. We're planning on setting up a party exclusively for Ray's suitors."

"Maybe Lennie should go," Jamie suggested. "I mean, if they just talked it out... it's not like they've gotten to know each other. Maybe they'll change their minds if they had an actual, casual conversation."

"That makes sense," Rosalie confessed. "I'm worried, though. What if he turns down the invite?"

"Then I'll make him come," he promised, and the glint in his eyes merged with the way he turned his chin up reassured Rosalie that Lennie Pittmen was on the attendee list.

Since Ray officially renounced her lunch room study sessions, Rosalie was left with Juliana, Jamie-Lee, and Lennie. She pulled out a notebook the moment Juliana joined her. She wrote in blue ink, "When should the party be?"

She turned the paper over to Juliana. Juliana took one glance at it and shook her head. Rosalie tapped her pen to the paper, and Juliana fervently pushed it away. "Come on, it'll be fun," Rosalie insisted.

"No. I relinquish my position," she insisted.

"Why?" Rosalie whined.

Juliana wrinkled up her nose at Rosalie. She took Rosalie's pen and put it to the paper. Rosalie watched as Juliana wrote out angrily, "Why should we convince her NOT to like Lennie?"

"Lennie's invited," Rosalie wrote. Juliana's jaw dropped. She took to staring at Lennie then, who had his arms wrapped around his knee, a book from French class in his hand. He looked up from the pages to meet Juliana's eyes.

"What," he said.

"Nothing," Rosalie said. Lennie narrowed his eyes at her as he reached for his water bottle.

"Absolutely everything," Juliana replied. She turned back to Rosalie. "Who else is invited?"

"What're you talking about?" Lennie said before taking a sip from his water bottle. Beside him, Jamie made a cutting motion across his throat for Juliana to shut up.

Juliana, however, reclaimed her role as the host of the event. "We're organizing a lineup of suitors for Ray."

Lennie nearly sputtered up water. He held the back of his hand to his mouth to keep the water in, and Jamie was instantly gasping, looking entirely too thrilled by Lennie's reaction. Juliana looked far too proud of herself, even when Rosalie glared at her. Jamie gave Juliana a thumbs up when Lennie bent over the side of the table, gasping.

"What did Sami call it?" Juliana hummed, tapping a finger to her chin. "A Meat Fest?"

"You're kidding," Jamie gasped. He clapped his hands like a child on Christmas. "This is amazing. You guys should serve exclusively sausages."

Lennie recovered enough to say, "Dare I ask why this is happening?"

"Well, we want to help Ray decide if she's into girls or not. I suggested Joanna make out with Ray, but—"

"Jesus Christ," Jamie said, hands over his face. He peeked between his fingers as he whispered, "What did she say?"

"It's still up in the air," Juliana said.

"It's officially no," Rosalie said. She glared pointedly at Juliana, who pouted at her. "If you want to find out so badly, do it yourself."

Juliana clasped a hand to her throat in horror. "I'll do no such thing! I'm her best friend."

"We were literally just talking about platonic kissing this morning," Rosalie insisted.

"You've never kissed anyone, so what's it matter to you?" she whined. Rosalie's jaw dropped as Juliana went on. "This is for science. We are doing this—as her friends—to get her over this initially daunting moment in her life where she's unsure and confused and lonely—"

"I say you should just make up an excuse to make out with her," Jamie said, nodding eagerly at the idea. When Juliana cried out in horror again, her voice echoing across the lunch room, Jamie said, "It could be a party game! Everyone gets to kiss Hartley! It'll be fun!"

"No," Lennie said, and Jamie retracted as if struck. Jamie put a hand to his cheek and stared wide-eyed at Rosalie, who thought her heart was about to give out.

Realizing his mistake, Lennie collected himself. He closed his book and slapped it on the table, saying, "Why are you planning this without Ray anyway? How many guys are you planning on inviting?"

"It's a very exclusive event," Juliana said, and Rosalie wanted to say, "Since when?" Juliana stuck her nose in the air as she unfolded the list Rosalie had been working on that day. She flattened it out and cleared her throat. "As of right now... Mark Villaneuva, Michael Lancaster, and Kevin Davis—from Adams High—are on the list."

"Yeah, and you've ixnayed all the girls," Rosalie muttered, flipping over the page. It was absolutely butchered with crossed lines and hastily scrawled names.

"Why the hell is Michael on the list?" Lennie said, leaning over the table. Jamie was in a fit, his hands in his hair, mouth open in amazement.

"Michael's... good-looking. And he's funny," Rosalie said with a shrug.

"And he's in a few of Ray's classes," Juliana added. She stuck the pen in the air, as if this fact meant everything, and Lennie rose his eyebrow at her, unimpressed.

He turned the page around. He studied it for a moment before turning it back down and pointing to a familiar name that had yet to be crossed out. "My name is on here."

"Recent addition," Rosalie said, withering a little at the cutting look he gave her.

Lennie nabbed the pen from Juliana, who watched eagerly as he added a number four after Kevin Davis' name. Juliana squealed eagerly, only to halt when Lennie added the number five.

"What are you doing?" Juliana demanded, attempting to take the pen back.

Rosalie leant forward to watch, and Jamie followed soon after. Juliana shrieked so loud, Rosalie's ear rang afterwards. Juliana gasped, "Oh my God, I'm so sorry—give that back! You heathen!"

"What? What did he put down?" Jamie demanded.

Juliana held the paper to her heart, freckled cheeks turning pink. "No one! Nothing! I have the final say!"

Lennie picked up his book again and went back to reading. Juliana vaulted from the table when Jamie climbed on top of it, reaching for the list. Rosalie leant out of the way as Jamie raced after Juliana, chasing her between tables. Rosalie stared after them before looking back to Lennie, whose impassive expression cracked into a pleased grin.

a/n: I am v excited for Meat Fest 2k19

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 357 24
Growing up is not easy. Growing up in the early 2000's as a closeted lesbian- even harder. This is Bella Jameson's story- growing up in the closet...
98.9K 4.3K 81
She wanted to change and that's what she did. 17 year old Bailey Skeels has been one to follow rules and go by the book. But after getting accused f...
886K 14.3K 30
[COMPLETE] Elle and Aurora absolutely hate each other but once forced to spend time with each other for a school project, will that all change?? Just...
611K 15.2K 45
"You're a headfuck, a complete headfuck." Red's back is turned as she breathes before heavy raindrops meet her face. "Where is this coming from?" Lay...