He's My Husband

Por SiobhanJK

RAW VERSION. Undergoing editing. "Thank you for warming my husband's bed while I was away Lisandra but now th... Mais

ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
Six
SEVEN
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two

Seventeen

26 4 0
Por SiobhanJK

       It was hotter than usual. It felt as if the sun was on a mission to fry everything under it including him. As much as Max loved summer, it had its disadvantages too. Exhibit A: sunburns. For someone as forgetful as him, he couldn't stay outside for too long or he would end up with nasty burns. Nash teased him all the time about how sensitive his skin was. As if only girls were the ones allowed to have soft sensitive skin.

But in all honesty, that wasn't the reason he'd decided to come back to that restaurant. True, it provided shelter and good food, not forgetting cold drinks. But the real gem was the stunning mouthy waitress who'd flat out told him to go to hell yesterday after he'd asked for her number. Being a Carter, he was used to girls following him around and doing whatever he wanted. It was the first time someone had turned him down and he'd never been happier.

At last he had found a challenge. Wooing her and getting her to fall for him would be the highlight of his summer. It was also his last free summer. After that he would start working at Carter industries. He was ready to take on the responsibility so his mother could be at ease. With all the hours he was required to put in, Max thought that it would be a little easier if he had some good memories to take with him. They would be so much better if they involved a certain beauty who was currently walking towards him.

"Hello, what can I get you?" she asked taking out her pen and notebook. Pretending not to know him only fueled Max's desire to conquer her.

"A glass of lemonade and your number"

"Okay. I'll be right back"

"Does that mean you've finally agreed to give me your number?"

Raising her eyebrow, she retorted "Do I look like one of those groupies who follow you around?"

"No way. You're more prettier than they are"

"Thank you. I accept really big tips but that doesn't mean I'll sell myself to get them. I especially abhor rich kids like you who think they can have whatever they want. So please order anything you want then leave" looking over her shoulder, she called another waitress "Gigi, get this customer a glass of lemonade. I'll take the family that just walked in" then she left without a backward glance. 

It would be sick to say that her uncaring attitude turned him on but it was the truth. The fact that she knew he was rich and wasn't throwing herself on him tipped the scale in her favor. Max was sure that if his friend found out about her, they would definitely fight over her. It was the reason he'd lied to Nash, telling him that he wasn't going to London because Carter industries needed him. This girl was only going to be his alone. There would be no passing her down when he was done.

The next day he decided to go around the back where the kitchen was just to see if she would reprimand him. It seemed like that was the only way he could get her to talk to him. He'd thought of asking if they were hiring so he'd be close to her but discarded that idea. First because he knew nothing about working in a restaurant and second because if his mother caught wind of it, he would end up spending his summer in London like Preston. Aside from the horses at the farm, nothing was worth spending his last free days in that big empty place. As he was about to take a corner, he heard two people arguing. Max would have left if he hadn't heard her voice.

"I'll have to deduct your salary to pay for those broken plates" an older woman said.

"But I wasn't the one who broke them. Why do I have to be the one to pay?"

"Because it was your responsibility. Ever since we took you in you've given us nothing but trouble. Now that I'm left all alone, this restaurant is the only thing I have. If you keep this up, I won't have anything. I'm begging you for the last time Emilia, please find someone else to trouble. I'm tired of this"

"If you stop deducting my salary maybe I'll be able to save enough money so that I can leave. It's not as if I want to keep staying here. You've made it very clear that I'm not wanted here"

"You ungrateful child. I took care of you after your parents died and this is what I get in return?"

"What do you mean took care of me? If it weren't for Freddie you wouldn't have taken me in. Now that he's gone, you can't wait to get rid of me. The feeling's mutual Chrissie. The second I save up enough money, I'll leave. You won't even have to kick me out"

"Yeah, well, until then, you're going to work your ass off because you'll be buying for two sets of plates now. How about that?" the older woman asked going back inside. Max leaned against the wall wondering why he had the sudden urge to take her away from that place. From what he'd heard, her parents had died when she was young. Whoever Freddie was, he'd taken her in and raised her but his wife didn't like her.

Emilia. That was her name and it suited her. He tried to picture her life, imagining what she might have gone through. When his father died, he felt as if the world had ended. Luckily he still had his mother who had been there for him. Max didn't want to think what she might have felt when she lost both parents and was left all alone. How lonely had she been?

"Don't make a habit of eavesdropping on people's conversations. It's rude" she said startling him. He moved away from the wall smirking.

"I didn't want to interrupt you guys"

"How noble of you"

"What can I say? My mom taught me well"

"Did you want something or are you just a creep looking for your next victim?"

"I... Uh...."

"Cat got your tongue?"

He scratched the back of his head looking for something to say. He couldn't ask for a job or keep pestering her for her number. So he blurted out "Are you busy?"

"No. But I also don't feel like spending my free time with spoiled rich kids so have a nice day" she tried to leave but he caught her hand

"Come with me. I'm going to show you something"

"What part of..."

"Stop arguing with me for once and just come. I promise you'll like it"

"I still have a job to do"

"I'll buy you ten sets of plates if you spend the day with me"

"I don't need that many plates"

"But your boss does. Look at it this way, if I buy them, your salary won't be deducted and you'll actually be able to save the money"

"I don't need your help" she snapped snatching her hand away from his. Max sighed.

"I have a theory. It doesn't matter how much money you save. She'll never let you leave. Today it's broken plates, tomorrow it'll be cups and the day after that something else. She won't let you save enough money. It's what people like her do. They don't want you but they can't bear to let you go either. I don't know if buying the plates will solve the problem but let me do it. In return you just have to spend the day with me. That's all I'm asking for"

She hesitated. He was getting ready to deliver another big speech but then she nodded. They spent the day going around the city. He took her to a museum then an aquarium and let her pick a cheesy romantic comedy when they went to the movies. Every time she laughed, Max felt as if he'd accomplished something. Every time she looked at him he wanted to kiss her. But he'd promised to behave so he controlled himself.

By the end of the day, he realized that he didn't want to let her go. She was beautiful, smart and didn't deserve to work in that restaurant. He wondered what she would do if he asked her to go work for him. He could get her a job at Carter industries. One that would pay her enough so she wouldn't have to rely on anyone. He was about to ask her when it occurred to him that if she worked for him then he couldn't be with her. And he badly wanted her.

So he ended up going to the restaurant everyday and leaving her big tips. Stubborn as she was, it was the only way she would accept his help. As days went by he became possessive of her. He glared at any of the male customers who tried to talk her until they gave up. Other waitresses teased him about being her bodyguard. The nicer ones called him Emilia's guardian angel. When he couldn't take it anymore, he asked her to marry him. Of course she thought he was insane and told him that. But he came back everyday...

She had finally accepted his proposal after having another big fight with Chrissie. Her reasons for marrying him hadn't mattered. He knew that she had feelings for him back then but not enough to call them love. Either way, Max had never regretted marrying her. Even when he was busy blaming her for his mother's accident, he'd never once regretted marrying Emilia. His only hope was that she felt the same way too. This party was either going to be a success or a failure. It made him nervous to think that things could go wrong. But it was too late to back out. He had to go through with his plans no matter the outcome.

Now more than ever he needed to get Emilia back. Finding out that she wasn't going to rely on him like she'd done in the past was a setback. He'd been counting on taking care of her to show her how much he loved her. Turns out she didn't need him at all. Of course he wasn't one of those men who didn't like it when their wives had a career. On the contrary, he was proud that she had found a job and could provide for herself. It was just a shame he wasn't the one doing it.

"Hey bro. What should I get Em? I'm thinking a diamond bracelet or earrings or necklace" Darren asked walking towards him. Max was just getting home from the office.

"Why do you need to buy my wife jewelry or anything?"

"She's my sister in law and I want to show her how happy I am now that she's back"

"I'm sure she knows how ecstatic you are Dar. In fact everyone knows"

"You don't have to sound so jealous. I love you too but just between us, I love her more"

"Ditto little brother" when Darren lingered, Max figured he had more to say "What is it Darren?"

"I need to talk to you about something but I don't know how you'll take it"

"Out with it then. Stop acting like a teenager"

"Promise me you won't get mad"

"No. I've fell into this trap before. Say whatever it is you want to say or leave me alone. There is no way I'm promising you anything"

Darren ran his hand through his hair while shifting from one foot to the other. Immediately Max guessed it was something to do with a girl. "I like someone"

"I figured"

"No, I mean I really like her. Actually I've liked her for a while but she wasn't available so I didn't say anything"

All Max heard was 'a while and not available'. Connecting that to what Darren had said earlier, he dropped his suitcase to the floor and grabbed him by the lapels of his jacket "If you're talking about Emilia then I suggest you don't say another word or you'll end up losing your front teeth"

"What?" Darren asked wheezing.

"Emilia! She's my wife Dar and if she's the one you like then forget about her"

"What... What are you talking about? Emilia? Let go of me you idiot. I wasn't talking about her"

"You came here to ask me what you should buy for her. Who else could you be talking about?"

"Jesus Max, can you relax. I was referring to Lisandra"

"What?" he asked taking a step back.

"Don't tell me you are going to be possessive over her too. As far as I know, you've never loved her"

"You like Lisandra?"

"Yeah. Why do you sound as if it's a crime to like her?"

"I.... I'm just surprised. You're the last person I expected to say that"

"Yeah, well, now you know"

"What am I supposed to say?"

"That you don't like her and that I'm free to pursue her"

"I've been with her Dar. Doesn't that bother you?"

"I'm willing to overlook that fact because I like her so much. I'll treat you as one of her ex boyfriends"

"If that's the case then go ahead. I can't do anything since you already like her"

"Thanks bro. I knew you weren't a selfish asshole"

"I can still change my mind" Max said bending to pick up his suitcase. When Preston found out that Darren liked Lisandra, he was going to have a field day. Aside from being a gossip, he also had some kind of beef with Lisandra. Every time Max asked about it, all he got was 'I'm late for a meeting' then Preston would rush out. Whatever it was, he'd given up on ever finding out the details. And maybe it was for the best. Because he had a wife and son to worry about. No need to add.....

"You're actually going to let Darren pursue your mistress?" Emilia asked standing at the top of the stairs.

"Were you eavesdropping on us?"

"No. I was just passing by when I happened to hear your conversation. You really won't stop him?

"Why should I?"

"Because she's a..... You know what, forget it. I'm sorry for meddling in things that don't concern me" before he could reply, she left in a hurry. Max wondered what she was about to say. He knew that Emilia and Lisandra had never been friends but judging from her attitude, she didn't approve of Darren going after Lisandra. And that was what puzzled him. Shouldn't she be happy that his 'Mistress' as she called her, was being pursued by someone else?

*****************************************

Men are really slow sometimes. Don't worry Max, soon you'll find out what Lisandra is made of.

I thought that it would be appropriate to have an insight of how Mr and Mrs. Carter met before the party.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

39 0 8
Summary: "We can't keep doing this, Harry to Amy." I said and felt his lips on my skin, pinning me against the Laundry room door. "She loves you." I...
398K 16.9K 60
She heard a low growl rumble in his throat and turned her head, shooting him a teasing smile before quickly testing the water again with her toe. It...
79.5K 1.2K 9
Arabella Lucia, A scarred wife that fantasises about being taken by Werewolves. An emotionally distant husband who is never home. A sexy new boss wit...
137K 709 3
WARNING R-RATED Disaster-in-Waiting was a dream come true for me. Firstly writing it and then sharing it on here and receiving such a wonderful respo...