The Psychic

By KhaleesiMomofDragons

Reader!Sherlock x Edward Nygma Reader is new at the Gotham City Police Department and she discovers what work... More

Personal E.Nygma
The Psychic
The Penguin
The new Nygma
Arkham
The new life

The new mayor

169 7 5
By KhaleesiMomofDragons

Someone knocked on your door but you didn't answer.
You heard voices through the door and put a pillow on your head.
Then the door shut open and you recognised Penguin's limp running to the curtains and opening them. The sudden light blinded you and you groaned.

"It's time to get up."

You muttered some insults as a gentle hand caressed your arm.

"Come on Pep, we've got some job do be done."

That voice was flowing in your ears like sweet honey.
You turned around and glared at everyone.

"Out of my room. Now," you added as no one was moving.

You shut the door and immediately took a shower.

-

Half an hour later, you met everyone in front of the breakfast and were welcomed with some giggles.
You murdered with your eyes the person who dared make fun of you this early in the morning -aka Zsaaz- and ripped a piece of bread with your teeth before chewing it silently.

"Can we address you now that your stomach is filled ?" Oswald demanded presumptuously.

"My stomach is far from being filled. You may speak," you added with an indifferent gesture of your wrist.

"Perfect. The elections are today. I have to attend to some conferences and you're coming."

You nodded, your mouth full.

"What time is it ?" you asked.

"6 am. I know, it's early. It's all Victor's fault if you really need to know. He suggested we'd start sooner."

You glared at him and without a word, you ordered the closest guy to stab him with a knife on the table. Knowing what was coming, he dodged the attack and shoot you, missing you. You heard a scream from behind you.
Ed was watching you, horrified and scared.

"Little rusty, huh ?" you provoked Victor.

"Believe me, if I wanted you dead, you would have been, darling," he replied with a smirk.

"What the hell was that ?" Ed asked.

"Come on Ed, they're just playing ! Though they ruined my beautiful still life painting..." Penguin sighed.

Victor rose his shoulders with a smile and you pushed him.

"Next time I'll get you."

"Keep dreaming doll !" he snapped back.

Everyone was getting ready to leave. Ed approached you and you smiled.

"Morning Eddie !"

"You're insane. He could have killed you !"

"Zsaaz never misses his target," you said, with a sign of your chin.

He turned around and saw a minuscule black spot on the wall behind you, pierced by the bullet.
He stared at you with an impressed smile.
You stared back, contemplating his long body, his shape highlighted by the suit he was wearing, his hair pulled back with some gel and his cologne enveloping him sweetly. You couldn't resist touching him and put your hand on his right shoulder, rubbing it gently.

"You look stunning, the tux suits you," you winked.

He smiled awkwardly.

"How was your first night out of Hell ? Slept like a baby ?" you asked.

"This expression is ridiculous. Babies are well known for being unbearable at night because they always cry instead of sleeping. Why would I sleep like a crying mess ?"

You squeezed his hand.

"I've missed you."

"You're in a good mood," he stated gleefully.

"Thanks to you," you told him with a smile.

-

You clapped your hands as soon as your boss's speech was done. He was standing in front of a mic, receiving proudly the applauses.
Ed whispered in your ear "Come with me", and took your hand. You followed him, surprised.

"Butch is plotting something."

You frowned, suspicious.
He inspected him and your faces both lit up.
Butch was giving an envelope to some man.

"He is buying the votes !" you exclaimed together.

Ed approached the man and asked to check what was inside the envelope. You exchanged a look when you discovered money.

"I need to speak with Oswald," your friend stated.

You blocked him.

"Actually, I have a better idea. Just trust me..."

You waited, staring at Ed and Oswald talking. You joined the conversation smoothly.

"...I know, which is why you need to call of Butch."

"I still don't get why you cut me out of this boss," you declared.

Oswald rolled his eyes.

"Because I know you would have tried to stop me !"

A little girl patted his shoulder and he turned around.

"Mr Penguin ?" the cute little girl called him.

"Hello there !" he answered with a smile.

"I wanted to thank you, for getting rid of all the monsters."

You winced at the name used by the girl and Edward faced you, trying to understand what you had planned. A mischievous smile displayed on his face when he got it.

"Well played," he murmured in your ear.

"Do you see ?" Oswald turned back. "People look at me differently now. For the first time in my life, I feel wanted."

"Nice doing business with you," the little girl added as she extended her hand for you to pay her.

Penguin stared at you, shocked.

"How does it feel now ?" Ed asked.

Oswald's gaze navigated from you to Ed angrily.

"I feel like I've misjudged someone who was supposed to be my friend."

"We are your friends," you stated.

"I can't be bought but I can be stolen with a glance. I'm worthless to one but priceless to two. What am I ?" Ed added.

You nodded.
Of course he had to invent a riddle...

"I don't care. I do not need a stupid riddle right now ! I know what I want. I want to be mayor. Stay of it. Both of you. I'm warning you."

And he stormed out.

"The Hell I'm staying out of it," your partner stated.

-

"Did you manage to take it all ?"

The room was filled with underground people and they all looked very chic.
You were holding your cocktail and sipped a bit, rolling your eyes.

"Yes Eddie, I've got it all."

"Good."

You stood silent and he stared at you.

"By the way, you look amazing tonight."

You shredded.

"Took you long enough."

"What ?" he asked, puzzled.

"You generally notice that in the 30 first seconds I walk in the room," you replied playfully.

He laughed, amused. He passed a hand in his hair and you smelled his good perfume.

"Had by few but treasured by all,
I'm on the inside and outside and I make men fall. What am I ?" he questioned, staring at you in the eyes.

Beauty.
You flushed. The realer things Ed said were always his riddles. It was something to say you looked amazing but something completely different telling a riddle about beauty.

"I wish I could..."you started, caught up in his eyes.

"Yes ?" he replied, knowing exactly what you wished.

"This is it. The moment I've been waiting for."

Penguin's limping brought you back to reality.

"Am I interrupting something ?" he asked, probably noticing the tension between you.

"No," Edward answered for you, as you pinched your lips and shook your head negatively.

"You ! You ruined everything !" Butch voice sounded from behind you.

You turned around and he pinned Ed on the wall. You stepped closer to him and touched Butch's forearm.

"Butch ! Let him go this moment ! What is going on ?"

"I'll tell you what's going on. He just cost you the election ! He went to every district official and took the money back ! Said you wanted to run a clean election," Butch yelled angrily.

"Tell me this is not true," Oswald pleaded sadly.

"Let him go !" you screamed, half using your power, half pushing Butch apart. "That was my idea."

Penguin turned to you.

"I'm afraid Butch is right. For once," Ed declared.

"Why ? After everything I've done for you. Both of you ! Everything we could have done together...you betrayed me. Butch, Zsaaz," he ordered and they both aimed their gun at you.

You rose your eyebrows at Zsaaz, as his gun was touching your chest.

"I told you," he whispered.

"Give me one good reason I shouldn't let Butch kill you where you stand," Oswald groaned.

"Well, there are about 30 witnesses...", Ed started.

"I don't care !"

"...and there's that," he declared with a gesture of his chin.

The crowd from the TV cheered and the journalist announced Oswald's victory. You clapped your hands happily, along with the room and Penguin shut you all.
He was watching the TV, still not believing it was possible. He turned around, tears in his eyes.

"I still won," he murmured. "They really want me as mayor."

"Yes !" you and Ed declared.

You were smiling proudly.

"You did it, Oswald."

"I can't be bought but I can be stolen with a glance. I'm worthless to one but priceless to two...Love !" your boss said, moved.

He put down the two guns pointing at you.

"They love me."

"If you would have bought it, you would have never knew it," Ed stated.

"And now you do," you echoed.

"Feels good, doesn't it ?"

"How did you know I would win ?"

"We believe in you, Oswald," Ed declared, taking your hand and you nodded, putting a gentle hand on Penguin's shoulder.

"Even when you don't believe in yourself. I've always had," you added.

"You. You never believed I could win on my own. I think maybe you're not cut out for this, after all," your boss claimed, glaring at Butch.

"What ? You've got to be kidding me !"

Ed was smiling mischievously.

"Don't worry ! I still need someone to crack skulls. Come on my friends, we have plans to make."

Ed walked in front of Butch with a smirk and you pushed Zsaaz.

"You wish you could kill me !" you declared.

"Naaah, it would be way less funny."

You smiled and followed your boss.

You went out of the room but Penguin stopped you before.

"Psychic !"

You turned around.

"Yes ?"

"I'm about to name Edward my chief of staff."

A smile lit up your face.

"That's an amazing idea. He will be more than proud."

"I didn't tell you this to ask for advice, I told you this because I don't want you to feel left behind."

You gasped.

"I could promote you to some important position-"

"Oswald," you stopped him. "I don't need anything to know I'm your favourite monster."

He smiled and you put a hand on his arm.

"I'm your loyal sidekick."

"I'm lucky to have you Pepper," he declared.

It was the first time he used your actual name.

"Now go, it's Ed's time to shine."

"You care about him, huh."

"Yes, a lot."

He nodded and left the room.

-

The moment was amazing. You were on his left when Penguin named Ed and he couldn't believe it. You squeezed his hand and he jumped on stage, smiling under the spotlights.
All you could think about, watching the two men you probelably cared the most about, was that they were going to be an amazing duo.

-

The next morning you woke up just as early as the previous one and after a quick breakfast and a shower, you jumped in your clothes.
You accompanied the new mayor and his chief of staff in the car as they paraded. You helped your friends to feed some poor people, you were by their side when Oswald inaugurated a new school bus, this went without saying, always under the flash of dozens of cameras.
And you were there when Oswald talked about his mother, in front of the city hall, her statue next to him.
You've liked Mrs. Cobblepot since the first moment you had met her and she deserved to be whorshiped by her son and be under everybody's eyes.
You were smiling happily when you noticed a car approaching the city hall. It was going fast and men jumped out of it and shoot in the air to scare the people. The crowd screamed and ran under cover.
You tried to use your power but the men were hooded and you couldn't reach them. They shoot the statue and a guy with a hammer hit its head and it fell on the ground.
They left without another word, you running behind them, insulting them.
When you turned around, you saw Oswald reaching for the statue's head and you ran back to him. You wrapped your arms around him and gritted your teeth.

"Whoever did this, they're gonna pay," you swore.

-

You were back at the mansion and Oswald was walking in circles.

"You need to go to the GCPD," he said to Edward. "You go with him," he added to you. "Now !"

You left without another word.

"I'm gonna kill whoever did this !" you ticked off. "This is so...unfair !"

Ed took your hand and squeezed it. You breathed to calm down.

"I'm excited to go back there," he declared.

"Huh ?"

"The GCPD. Do you know what it will look like, to see all their primate faces, mouth opened ?" he chuckled.

You thought. It was now more than 2 years that you hadn't stepped in there. Probably a lot of things might have changed.

"Come on ! It's gonna be fun."

You sighed and forced a smile.

"I'm getting in first, alone," Edward claimed.

"Huh, no way !"

"Yes way ! Then you'll join me and it will be like a second bomb for them !" he exclaimed excitedly.

You giggled.

"You're having way too much fun about this... I'm in," you replied with a devilous smile.

As planned, Ed went in first.

"...everything goes through you," you heard the captain say.

"You mean through me."

Perfect timing.
The room went silent.
You went in and the audience gasped even more.

"That was hot," you murmured in Ed's ear with a playful wink.

"Wow !" he exclaimed.

You both laughed.

"Isn't it good to be back !" you blurted out.

"I have missed aaaaall of you," he added, with a gesture of his arm.

You inspected them with an amused smile. Ed was right, this was fun.

"Harvey. Still a stranger to a haircut and a shaver I see."

Your smile faded a bit. Harvey was your friend and you missed your relationship. Unlike Edward, you felt well at the GCPD and even if you tried to hide it, it ached a little to come back here.
You put back a mischievous smile and stared at the crowd.

"What are you both doing here ?" Captain Barnes asked.

"As Mayor Cobblepot chief of staff and assistant, I'm going to be your liaison on the Red Hood investigation. My beautiful Pepper here is going to give me hand," he added, wrapping an arm around your shoulder.

You smiled.

"We want to see all the reports and we're gonna need access to all your forensic lab," you demanded.

"You think I'm just gonna let you waltz into my precinct ? You're cop killers, you should be in the loony bin. I'll be damned-" Barbes started.

"You'll be fired," Ed stated coldly.

"The mayor can't fire me !"

"No but he can appoint a Police Commissioner who will. So, you will carry out the Mayor's orders without question or the GCPD has a new captain. How does that sound ?" you explained calmly.

Ed displayed a proud smile.

"Every dog has his day, freaks. Enjoy yours."

He left angrily and Harvey stepped out.

"And where is our lord mayor ? Hiding under his desk ?"

You were ready to slap him for disrespecting your friend but Ed interfered.

"Careful there Harvey, Pep is an uncontrollable and fierce beast, you don't want to be on her bad side," he turned around and winked. "As for the Mayor, he's meeting with constituents."

He grabbed your hands and escorted you out. You exchanged an odd look with Harvey. One stating how you still cared about him but explaining that you had changed now and that whoever would come in your way would pay for it.
And he understood.
Ed brought you to your old office which was empty.

"That was hot," he quoted you back.

He noticed that you seemed down.

"What's wrong, Pep ?"

"It's just...Don't you miss the old you ? Your old life, in here, when everything was easier ?"

"Not at all," he sighed, understanding what was off.

"Well I do."

He seemed to think a bit than retorted :

"Don't you feel... freer ? And true to yourself ?"

"I honestly don't know. Maybe ? I'm not even sure who I really am."

"You're Pepper, the Psychic, the most powerful and intelligent person I know."

You smiled sweetly.

"You are amazing," he added, caressing your hair. "Come on."

He took your hand and you squeezed it hard.
He displayed an amused smile.

"Try to enjoy this moment. It's not everyday you can walk in a precinct after you've killed one of them and give orders !"

You smiled.
Indeed...

-

Ed was leaning on the wall next to the opened door of Lucius's office. He knocked insolently.

"Mr Fox, just the man I've been wanting to see."

"Oh joy..." he sighed. "You usually knock before coming in. What can I do for you Mr Nygma ?"

"Miss Culpepper is here too," he snapped.

"Pepper ?" he called you, noticing you.

"Hello Lucius."

You've only met him a couple of time but you knew he was a good man.
He seemed to wonder what you were doing here but he didn't say anything.

"We have questions. Hopefully you have answers," Ed giggled.

"Or what ? Are you going to poison me with gaz ?"

Ed laughed.

"That gaz was a sleeping agent. And to be fair I was not in the best place in my life."

"To be fair, if you ever threaten my life or the life of Bruce Wayne again, I will find a way to end you."

"Now, now, who is threatening who l, huh ?" you stated.

"Mr Fox, we both know you're not a man of violence," Ed replied with a smirk.

"No I'm not. If I was I would haced some piece of lab equipment, one you were sure to touch, with some toxin. Ricin, maybe," Lucius snapped back.

"I would use Tabun, classier," you intervened.

"I'd use Saxitoxin. Harder to trace. But I like your style," Ed claimed amused.

"You are insane," Lucius sighed.

"We are insane," you corrected him.

"We have a certificate," Ed added. "So, the Red Hoods ?"

"See for yourself."

You walked to the microscope but Ed stopped and stared at Lucius with a smirk.
He nodded and you smiled.

"The gang's vehicule was abandoned in the Narrows."

"What's close there anyway ? A detergent factory ?" you asked, puzzled.

Lucius rose his shoulders.

"As you'll notice, its carpet fibers has elementals of dirt, oil and, oddly, potassium chloride."

"A halide salt..." you thought out loud.

"Fascinating," Ed exclaimed.

-

You were back at the mansion and Oswald was walking back and forth, holding a glass of wine in his hand.

"Someone is testing me !"

"What if we are wrong about it ? What if it's not about you but about the statue ?" Ed suggested.

"Of course it's about me !"

By yelling, he moved his glass and some wine stained his sleeve. You got on your feet and grabbed the salt, pouring it on the sleeve.

"What are you doing ?" he demanded.

"It's an old trick I've learned in the lab. Most solvents have as their base- Ed !" you exclaimed, understanding.

"Pepper ! I am the son of water but if water touches me, I die. What am I ?" Ed jumped up.

"Again with the riddles ?" Oswald sighed.

"Salt !" you blurted out.

"Most people think of it as a food additive-" Ed continued.

"But potassium salt is found in detergents, soap..." you completed for him.

"You're a genius !" Ed proclaimed.

"Well, duh !" you fakely bragged.

He kissed your forehead and you clapped your hands victoriously.

"I really don't like this," he said, pointing a finger to the two of you jumping around excitedly. "What is your point ?"

"I know where the Red hoods are !"

-

You jumped out of the car and rushed to the entry of the factory. Butch was already there, holding a shotgun.

"What happened ?" Oswald asked.

"I did it boss, I got em for you."

You examined the place and Butch. Something was off.
Oswald smiled proudly.
You noticed Ed seemed suspicious too.

"He's lying," he whispered in your ear.

"He is, but why ?"

"We'll come back here with the police, he better not be suspecting us."

-

As planned, you were back with the police. You inspected the place with a lamp.

"Listen Ed. Even before you went crazy I didn't like you," you heard Bullock say behind you.

You turned around, lightening coming out of your eyes, ready to defend your dear Ed.

"Your zipper's down," he simply stated.

You giggled.
Harvey watched his pants and added :

"Butch did us all a favour. Red Hoods go bye-bye, case closed."

"Look at the way the bodies fell. As if they were just standing there, waiting to be killed," Ed told you.

"Butch had to come all the way down here, how come no one pulled out his gun before ?" you completed.

"I guess they weren't threatened..." Harvey commented.

"By a 300 pounds gorilla ?"

You chuckled, shaking your head.

"Wait, Eddie ! What if he's right-"

"Please ! Bullock being right ?"

"Yeah, yeah," you smiled lightly. "Just think about it ! He is jealous of you. What if he was the one behind this ? That would explain the position of the bodies."

Ed thought and something caught his sight in the back of the room.

"What do we have here ?" he said taking a suit from a pile of them.

You exchanged a knowing look.

-

You went back to the mansion and locked yourself into Ed's room.
You were laying on his bed, a pillow held close on your chest.
You had found the name of the tailor on the suits and a phone number for his shop.

"Alright, call him and we will be fixed."

He nodded and used his cellphone.

"Mr Fugi ?... Hello, I'm Edward Nygma, chief of staff. Your suits were found on a crime scene and I need to ask you a few questions... As I told you, 6 suits were found on the scene, is there someone who ordered them today ?... A big man with a metal hand you say ? (You rose up)... That will be all, thanks... You've helped me, on the contrary, goodbye Sir."

He hung up and you blurted :

"He did it. He actually did it. I never trusted him anyway, I don't even understand why Oswald trusted him again..."

Ed nodded, thoughtful.

"We have to tell Oswald."

"No," he stopped you. "Let me handle this...perfectly !"

He was smiling excitingly.

"Okay...I guess," you answered with a puzzled smile.

"Thank you," he stood up from the bed. Then turned back and reached you. "You're the best, really. I couldn't have made it without you."

You sighed, amused.

"Of course you could have, silly. You are the brain of our duo," you chuckled.

"Huh, you're both the brain and the muscles. Really Pep, you're impressive."

You smiled.

"What I'm saying is : you are the best partner I could ask for. We really are invincible together. We could rule Gotham !" he exclaimed.

"Easy there," you joked.

"I need to go."

"Hey, you can't say that only to play solo after !"

"I guess not, but you need to prepare for tonight. I just need to put on a suit."

"What are you insinuating ?"

"Sorry, this came out wrong," he laughed. "Let me handle this, and just worry about getting ready."

"Alright, tempting offer," you declared, standing up on your knees, closing the gap between you.

He stared at you and kissed your nose.

"See you there, cute face. I expect you to be stunning tonight !"

"Huh, as if I wouldn't be..."

-

You took a long hot shower and examined your face in a mirror. Your hair were now fully gray and extremely long, considering that you hadn't walked in a hairdresser for over 2 years. They were softly cascading in your back, caressing your naked skin, cold drops falling on the ground. You smelled two perfumes and decided to go with the orange blossom one. After having cleaned your face with some rosewater, you started to put on some makeup. You decided to do a grey smokey eye with a black lipstick. You put on some silver nail polish.
Back in your room, you threw the dress you wanted to wear on the bed and examined it. It had a knee long silver Tull skirt and heart shaped white corset with silver embroideries.
A pair of white heels were waiting next to the mirror.
You slipped in it and took a look at yourself in the mirror.
There's just one little think missing...
You grabbed a serpent necklace in a drawer. It was wrapping your neck just the way you needed it.
Now we're good !

It was already time to go and Oswald was waiting behind your door.

"I'm not the only one who has played smart tonight I see ! You look ravishing Pepper."

You tightened the tie of his knot and smiled.

"It wasn't in my intention to steal the show !"

He chuckled and you grabbed his left elbow as he held a cane in the other hands.

-

When you arrived at the Sirens, you recognised some faces but were only looking for one.
As you stepped in, searching in the crowd, you heard a whisper in your ear as a hand was slipping around your waist.

"I believe I told you 'stunning' not 'astonishingly beautiful' !"

You chuckled as you turned around and he handed you a drink. You took a sip of it while examining him as he pulled you to an isolated corner.

"You're not bad yourself !" you exclaimed, devouring him with your eyes.

He had his usual slicked back hair and a green tuxedo, highlighting his height and his longilineal body.

"You've changed so much..." you whispered, realising how he was the first time you saw him.

He laughed.

"You were adorable and goofy and now you've become so charismatic and... hot,"you stated, stealing him another look.

"I hope it's for the best."

"I may sound cheesy, but all the versions of you are the best. Though I preferred the non murderous one," you giggled.

You noticed he wasn't laughing and immediately felt bad.

"I'm sorry, I was joking, I didn't intend-"

"Are you scared of me ?" he asked seriously.

You sighed.

"I could beat your ass in a second if I wanted to so, no, I'm not scared of you, and I wouldn't be even if I didn't have my powers to 'protect' me. I trust you with my life Eddie," you explained, staring at him.

He leaned in and kissed you sweetly, catching you by surprise.
It was too short in your estimation but you appreciated it anyway.
He took a look at his watch and kissed your cheek.

"I'm late for my plan."

You sighed. He just had to run away after kissing you, as always.

"You don't want to tell me anything I suppose."

He shook his head.

"Just trust me."

He winked and rushed away.
You took another sip of your cocktail as you rolled your eyes.
You headed back in the main room and went to the bar, in need for another drink.

"You look amazing tonight, Ed probably couldn't keep his hands off you."

You turned around, noticing a ginger girl, slightly younger than you, holding a glass in her hand and displaying a smirk.
Your brain spaced out.
Was it...? How...?

"Ivy ?" the name formed on your lips.

"I knew you would recognise me, I would have been disappointed if-"

You jumped in her arms, tears clouding your sight.
Then anger took over.

"Where the hell have you been ? I spent hours looking for you or Cat ! And why are you so old ? What happened ?"

She displayed a little smile.

"I'm sorry if I worried you...it's a very long story and-"

"And, we have all the time in the-"

You were interrupted by the applause of the crowd.

"I'll tell you everything, I swear, but not now."

"Alright. Where are you staying ?"

"Ed's old studio."

You nodded and focused on Oswald's speech, intertwining your fingers with Ivy's.
Suddenly, gun shots sounded in the room and a Red Hood appeared, pointing his gun on Oswald.
You ran to him but it was too late, the man had already shot.
Ed was holding Oswald still and you understood.
You're a genius !
Zsaas appeared and shot in the legs of the man.
You approached the hooded Butch as Ed jumped down the stage to reveal his face.
There were exclamations and gasps in the crowd.

"I will kill you for this ! After all that I've done for you !" Oswald spitted. "I gave you a job."

"I gave you everything ! I used to be somebody in this town, and then you and that sniveling little son of a-" he yelled.

Oswald slapped him before he could finish.
Ed was most definitely appreciating the show while you weren't really sure about this incredible plan.
Oswald walked back on stage, pulling himself together in front if the paparazzi.

"I am shocked and grieved that one of my dearest friends has betrayed me."

You rolled your eyes. Dearest friends, really ?

"But let it be known that Oswald Cobblepot will prosecute anyone who threatens Gotham !"

Everyone clapped their hands happily but Tabitha arrived, holding a man hostage.
Butch freed himself from Zsaas and threw him over the bar rack.
Ed came in between him and Oswald and Butch grabbed him in his hands to strangle him.

"Ed !" you cried and jumped on Butch.

Obviously, strength wasn't working on giant like him and he was chocking Edward as you were hitting him with all you got. You decided to use your power, knowing that you will probably find yourself restricted by the same barrier as last time. You took a deep breath and threw your power on him, in him, through his nerves.
Sleep ! you were ordering him.
Butch collapsed on the ground and you threw yourself on Ed, examining him.

"Ed ! Ed !" you and Penguin screamed at the same time, having no response from him.

He suddenly gasped and coughed and you sighed, relieved, cupping his face with your hands.

-

Back in the mansion, you were trying to process what had happened tonight.
Ed's kiss, your reunion with Ivy, Ed almost dying... That was a lot.
You walked on Ed and Oswald hugging and you narrowed your eyes.
Your boss was getting a little too close of Edward. You've seen the way he looked at him lately and suspected something. But seeing their faces inches away from each other...you didn't like it.
Was Penguin suspicious of you and Ed ? Could have he understood there was something between you ?
You sighed.
Ed and you weren't a thing, therefore you couldn't be legitimately jealous. But he had kissed you...
You walked back and didn't notice that Ed was staring at you.

-

You heard someone knock at your door 30 minutes later and offered them to enter.
Ed opened the door and stared at you from there. You put down your book and looked at him, your reading glasses on.

"May I ?" he asked, already coming in.

With a gesture of your hand you invited him to do so and to sit on your bed, next to you.

"I wanted to thank you. You know, for saving me," he added with a smile.

"You would have done the same for me," you simply answered.

He frowned.

"Are you okay ?"

"Yes...just a little shocked."

"I'm still here," he laughed.

"That's not it. Or at least not only. Ed...Ivy was here tonight," you confessed.

"What ?" he jumped.

"She joined me and...and she's older, like 2 or 3 years younger than me !"

"How ? Why didn't you tell me sooner ?"

"I don't know. She told me she was staying in your studio. I will join her tomorrow and I hope she will explain everything. I tried to find her after all the mess, but she was gone."

"This is amazing ! I don't understand, we should be celebrating !"

"You haven't seen her, she has changed and, I don't know, I have a weird feeling about it."

He kissed your forehead.

"Don't worry about it, we will find her tomorrow and everything will be just as when it was just the three of us," he comforted you.

You leaned your head on his chest, his hand wrapping the back of your neck and rubbing his thumb on it.
You sneak your nose in his neck and he retracted.

"I'm sorry, I had forgotten about it."

He shook his head. With a delicate hand, you followed the recent scars. He coughed.

"Does it hurt ?"

"No, actually the touch of your cold hands is...reliving," he stated.

You let your fingers run on the scars and he closed his eyes, appeased.

-

You woke up, still half-asleep. Your curtains were shut but you didn't recall doing it.
You rose up and after you've put on your gown, you went downstairs.
You were surprised to notice it was already 10 am and the mansion was empty. You found a note next to your mug.

I wanted to come with you to see Ivy, but my work as chief of staff was calling for me ! I accompanied our dear mayor (he says Hi, btw) and we will be out for at least 8 hours.
Can you wait for me to get to Ivy ? And, as I suspect, if you can't wait to see our favourite flower, can you tell her I say hi and I miss her a lot ?
See you later !

Love, Edward.

PS : I welcome the day with a show of ligh, I steathily come here in the night. I bathe the earthy stun at dawn, but by noon, alas ! I'm gone. What am I ?

You smiled. You used to tell each other riddles everyday when you were at the precinct. You knew the act wasn't genuine; the fact that you felt nostalgic yesterday was probably the reason why he did this, and it made it even more adorable and thoughtful of him.
You turned the paper and wrote your own riddle.
You ate your breakfast quickly and dressed up. You indeed wanted to visit Ivy the soonest possible.
You took your car and parked it outside of the loft, in the regular place. You knocked at the door and Ivy opened, still wearing her pyjama.

"I'm not the only one who slept in I see," you greeted her.

"I wasn't expecting you this early !"

"Ivy, it's 11 am ! In what universe is that early ?"

You took a look at the apartment that was now looking like a green house. Plants were everywhere their smell was filling the air.

"I've missed you," she giggled and hugged you.

You were still intrigued by her new look and she noticed it.

"I'm sorry if I trouble you."

You shook your head.

"Don't be. But I swear, if you wait one more second to tell me what happened to you, I'm going to explode !"

And that's how she started her story. She told you she left to join Selina, who was working with Fish Mooney, how she followed her and was touched by the creepy guy absorbing the life out of people, how she nearly died, falling in a hole and was rescued by a guy working far away from Gotham.
You were staring at her, listening very carefully, absorbed by it.

"Wow, that's crazy."

She rubbed her head nervously.

"Indeed."

"But you are alright now, right ?"

She nodded with a smile.

"Good."

"Your turn now. Tell me how exciting things turned out with Penguin," she said sarcastically.

And you did. You told her how Oswald rescued Ed and how he became mayor.

"What's the deal between you and Ed ? Are you finally dating ?"

You laughed.

"We certainly are not. I don't get him, I can't understand what he truly wants," you sighed.

She took your hand.

"Hey, remember that he killed his last girlfriend. Maybe he's scared about hurting you..."

That was actually very clever...

"You know what ? You're right ! I'll tell him how I really feel when we'll be back !"

"We ?" she asked.

"Yes ! You don't intend to stay here, right ? You're coming with me ?" you declared but it felt like you were asking or even begging her.

"Pep, I...I'm not the same. You can't expect me to act as I did before. I've changed and I feel like I need to understand who I am now before I come back to you..." she said delicately.

"I understand," you simply stated.

"Well, that's all ? No yelling ? No trying to stop me ?" she asked, surprised.

You thought for a few seconds before answering.

"It didn't work out very well last time, did it ? I won't make the same mistake again. Even if you clearly weren't ready to be left alone last time, I think it taught you a lesson and I can't stop you to live your life. I know- we know, more than anyone, what it is to change into something new. I won't stop you from spreading your petals into the sun, my beautiful little flower."

Ivy's eyes were clowded by tears.

"Thank you for understanding me."

"But please, do not leave me behind ! And whatever you are doing, I want to know it. I'm still your big sister and therefore your legal tutor," you demanded.

She jumped in your arms and hugged you tight.

"I'm sorry for all the horrible things I've told you. You didn't deserve that," she whispered in your silver hair.

"It's okay green bean."

You caught up all the lost time and spent the afternoon together. By the time you wanted to go home, you noticed it was the evening. You decided to spend even more time with Ivy and you had diner together.
You left against your will, but were happy to be back; you absolutely needed to speak with Ed.
Oswald was waiting at the table, a glass of whine in his hand.

"Hey...what are you doing ?" you asked.

"I was supposed yo have dinner with Ed but...I suppose he ditched me ?"

You had a weird feeling about this.
Why were they supposed to have dinner together ?

"Do you know where he is ?"

He shook his head.

"Where were you all day ?" he asked.

"With Ivy."

"You found her ? Why didn't you tell me ?" he exclaimed.

"You had other things to worry about."

"How is she ? I'm glad to hear she's back ! Where is she, by the way ? How come she is not with you ?"

You silently asked if you could sit and he invited you to do so.
You told him all the things she told you and he was astounded.

"Wow, it must be a lot to process !"

"It is. I still can't believe she looks 3 years younger than me..."

You stood in silent for a second than you rose up.

"I really need to sleep, I'm exhausted. Please call me when Ed will be back, there are so many things I need to tell him."

"I can only imagine. Sleep tight, my little Psychic."

You kissed his cheek and smiled.

"Good night, King Penguin."

You left and reached your bedroom where you only had the time to change into your pyjamas before you collapsed on your bed.

-

You woke up suddenly and probably early, given the fact that no lights were filtering from behind the curtains.
You went downstairs and discovered an extremely tired Edward.
He looked as if he hadn't slept all night, his clothes all wrinkled and his hair messy.

"...I met someone, I think I'm in love !" you just heard him say.

Your heart stopped.
Wh-what ?
When your brain processed what you had just heard, you stormed out. You shut the door behind you and rushed to Ivy's place.
She was holding a book in her hand when she opened the door and was ready to make a joke, but when she saw you, she closed her mouth. As soon as she let you in, you started to cry.
Last time, when Ed chose Kringle over  you, you were just angry a man like him could love a woman who wasn't respecting him and loving him as much as she should have, but you weren't in love with him.
This time...it hurt twice as much. You wanted to kill him for how he dared fooling you and run in his arms to rip him off that poor woman who probably didn't love him the quarter of how much you did.
Ivy patiently caressed your hair, still not knowing what had happened, but knowing it was much likely linked to Ed.
You stood there, on her lap, for minutes, maybe even hours. Sometimes you were crying, sometimes you were just quiet and calm, the delicate hands of your sister passing through your hair.

"He said he met someone, that he is in love," you murmured.

Ivy gritted her teeth.

"I stormed out when I heard that, he was talking to Oswald."

"I love Ed but he's just...hugh. I really want to strangle him."

You chuckled and she kissed your forehead.

"How old are you supposed to be ?" you asked her, staring at her.

She laughed.

"I don't know, how old do you think I am ?"

"You could be my age, but you look younger. I'm 26...I would say you're 23 ?"

She seemed satisfied.

"We should change your ID, Penguin will help."

She simply nodded.

"I love you, little sis."

She smiled, touched.

"Me too Pep, you really are the best."

-

Once again, you spent all morning in her studio and it helped you change your thought.
In the afternoon, she suggested you would go shopping and you agreed gladly.

You were trying on another outfit and you realised you needed to talk with Oswald. You didn't want to spend time at the mansion anymore, not now that you risked to bump into Ed and his new doll.
You walked out of the cabin and Ivy gasped.

"You look amazing !"

"I should head back to the mansion. I was thinking...I don't want to stay there. I will move in with you for now, find a job and get my head right. I need to tell Oswald."

Ivy nodded and you walked back in the cabin and took off the clothes.
When you exited, Ivy stopped you.

"Do you have to go right now ? You could go this evening."

It seems as if she was begging you and you capitulated. The rest of the afternoon went on but you didn't have the heart to have fun. You grabbed a hot dog in the streets and headed back to the apartment.
You hugged Ivy and left with your car for the house.
When you arrived, you took a deep sigh and opened the door quietly. You stepped in and heard the noise of laughter in the dining room. Expecting to find Oswald eating you went in, sure of yourself. Instead, you discovered Ed eating with a blonde... Kristen ?
She cleared her throat and Ed turned around. His eyes lit up when he saw you and he smiled, he seemed relieved.

"Pepper ! Where have you been ? Why didn't you leave a note ?"

He was coming closer to you and you took a step back, your mouth opened. Ed looked puzzled but didn't say anything, instead, he introduced you to the woman.

"Isabella, this is Pepper...I care a lot about her."

You scuffed ironically.
You were staring at her. She was the exact sosie of Kristen !
I get it now...

"Nice to meet you," she timidly said.

You ignored her and faced Edward.

"I- I can't believe that. I thought...you had moved on and yet, you still manage to stay in the past. Yesterday you told me you were happy with who you were now, with your new life. How- You know what, live your life, be happy, you will be a lovely couple and everything but don't ever, ever come close to me once more."

You were heading out but turned around.

"If you want to see Ivy, which I believe you're too busy to do, please call before, I wouldn't want to bump into you undesirably," you spit, cynical. "Oh and, not likewise !" you snapped at Isabella.

Ed was speechless but he still managed to grab your wrist.

"Pepper-"

You turned around, your eyes as grey as a tempest.

"Do not touch me", you ordered him through your power.

He let go of his grip as if your skin was on fire and had burned his fingers. You glared at him and left.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 175 14
As Eliza continues to battle with her internal feelings of being good or bad, an old lover returns, friends become foes, foes become friends, territo...
247 14 4
After hearing stories about one of Oswald's former friends Martin goes on a search to find a way to make the Penguin truly happy again. After encount...
336K 5K 53
Characters I'll be doing James (Jim) Gordon Oswald Cobblepot Jerome Valeska Edward Nygma Bruce Wayne Victor Zsasz I've written all of this down and...
1.3K 18 43
After so many years the sisters are finally out of Arkham Asylum and now they must adapt to the life in Gotham. Book 2 of the Arkham Sisters Series O...