Deserter

KnittedKneeHighs द्वारा

"I'm sorry, they found a what?" The five years after the passing of King Victor had been very harsh on the ki... अधिक

PREFACE
CHARACTERS AND BASIC COUNTRY DESCRIPTION
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
ENDING AUTHOR'S NOTE
Hi Again Kids

TWENTY-SIX

557 53 16
KnittedKneeHighs द्वारा

{Chapter Triggers: weapons, character in danger, the k word, stealth attack, terror and admitting to lying, mention of stabbing attempt. Those are all I can think of/figure out from reading through the chapter, I apologize if I missed any and feel free to inform me.}    

"Running off on us again?"

Virgil grunted, adjusting his horse's saddle. "No. What do you want?"

Roman leaned against the door of the stable. Guessing from the other man's tone, the (sort of) gentler moment the two of them had shared earlier that day was to be ignored. He wasn't going to argue that.

"I heard movement. Wanted to make sure we weren't being attacked."

He eyed Virgil's horse. The animal was completely still and silent, head turned to watch him with one dark eye.

"What are you doing?" He asked after a moment.

Virgil sighed loudly from the other side of the horse and walked into Roman's view. "I'm going scouting."

Roman frowned. "We have scouts sent out already."

"And when was the last time you heard from them?" Virgil began to check the weapons he was carrying.

The knight straightened up. "Well I- we- they haven't had enough time to find their posts and get information back to the castle."

"Your scouts are dead." Virgil said flatly, taking his horse's reins and beginning to lead him out of the stable. 

Roman followed him, indignant. "You don't know that!"

"Deceit has a very specific way of moving with a large group, that involves his best stealth attackers spreading out in a wide web in front of the army. Your scouts wouldn't even see the main force before they were found."

"Were you part of that force?" Roman asked sharply.

Virgil just shot him an irritated look.

"Fine. So perhaps they have been stopping our scouts. What makes you think a single man like  yourself can outsmart that whole web that you were talking about?"

"Who do you think came up with the idea?" The former Trickster swung himself up into his saddle. "I know how they move, and what they'll be looking for."

"Well you aren't going alone." Roman said with finality. "Stay there."

He disappeared into the stable again and Virgil bit back a groan. Every moment they wasted with this was precious time lost to Deceit.

Roman reappeared a few moments later, leading a dark horse wearing a simple saddle. He swung himself up to sit and nodded to Virgil. "Lead the way."

Virgil clicked his tongue and Drifter began to walk. He turned the horse carefully and headed towards the western gate.

"Why this way?" Roman asked, frowning. "Speira is in the east."

"The servant gate is this way." Virgil said, holding up a key. Roman didn't ask where he got it. "And I know Deceit's plans."

"Are you sure you do? He has to know you have turned on him by now."

"Maybe he knows. Maybe he doesn't. But he's moved too quickly to have formulated new strategies. His play will be to hit fast and hard and hope that I'm not ready."

Virgil dismounted at the servant's gate and unlocked it, pocketing the key afterward. Roman jumped to the ground as well and they carefully led their horses through the small opening. The creatures fit, but just barely.

After re-locking and re-mounting, Virgil clicked his tongue again. It sounded the same as the first to Roman, but Virgil's horse rocked into a canter. He tapped his heels into his own horse's flanks to follow.

They rode in silence, Virgil's head swiveling slowly as he scanned the area for something that he would recognize that meant danger. They checked two towns to the west of the castle, then began to work their way around to the eastern side.

Virgil pulled his horse up short just outside of Osmil. Roman opened his mouth to ask what was happening, but the former Trickster suddenly dismounted and quickly led his horse to a shadowy corner, draping his reins over a railing there.

Unsure of what was happening, Roman followed. He tied his horse next to Drifter and looked at Virgil.

The man made a motion to be silent and follow him. His boots made almost no sound on the wooden deck as he climbed over the railing and crept around the building to the front.

They slipped inside what seemed to be a combination tavern and inn. Virgil headed straight for the stairs, while Roman looked around. His hand dropped to his sword, but he followed the king's brother without drawing it.

"What is going on?" He finally demanded quietly when Virgil had slipped into the room at the end of the hall, overlooking the main street.

"I heard movement. This town should be empty."

Roman nodded slowly.

Virgil peered out the open window. "We're too close to the castle for the web to be out, Deceit draws it in when he gets closer to his target. That means the main force is here."

"We need to warn the castle then!"

"Wait. I want to see what he's mustered."

Roman growled under his breath, but hunkered down and waited.

The army became visible, marching five abreast on the wide main street. Virgil had no doubt that there were more groups of men moving along the side streets, keeping time with the main force.

"I want you to go downstairs, take your horse, and run for the castle." He told Roman.

"Are you mad? They'll have archers!"

"Exactly." The prince removed his crossbow from its holster strap and selected a bolt from his hip. "I want to thin some long range firepower."

Roman grunted and disappeared. Virgil waited, keeping his eyes on the force moving towards them.

There was a burst of movement in the spot they'd left their horses. Virgil didn't look, taking aim as he saw a bow come up in the center of the group. The crossbow shot rang out, followed by a cry. 

He took two more shots, then ran for his own horse.

Roman was a dozen feet or so away.

"What the hell are you doing? I told you to go!"

The knight shrugged. "Didn't want to tell the king I lost his brother."

Virgil growled, then froze as he heard a voice ringing out from the town.

"Quite the shot, my boy. You're getting better."

"Deceit." He gritted his teeth and pushed Drifter into a gallop, wanting to put as much distance between them as possible. Roman raced after him.

The guards at the main entrance of the castle were surprised to see the two, but let them in. Virgil unsaddled Drifter as quickly as he could, then he and Roman began to run towards the castle.

"I need your help." Virgil said suddenly, grabbing Roman's arm to stop him in the hallway before King Thomas's quarters. "Meet me in the library after we warn everyone that they're here."

"What? Why?"

Roman could see wild terror in the former Trickster's eyes. "Virgil, what's wrong?"

"I wasn't completely truthful when I told my story." Virgil spoke quickly. "I may have left out a few things."

"You lied?"

"No! I-" He pinched the bridge of his nose. "I just skipped over a point... When I woke up in Deceit's castle, I had complete amnesia. There isn't time to explain the whole situation but Deceit is a notoriously smooth talker and if I do not have complete, concrete proof that I am who I am when he arrives, I could- he could-"

Roman connected the dots. "You think he could convince you that you're not who you are."

"Exactly." Virgil dragged a hand over his face. "If he managed to turn me on Thomas again - I can't imagine the pain that Thomas would go through. Seeing his brother twisted into something evil."

"It's not fun." Roman said quietly. He could remember his own brother, merely eight at the time, disappearing into the woods for hours. After a week of it, he'd tried to stab Roman and run off into the woods again. They found his body days later.

It wasn't fun at all.

{the end is nigh}

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

40.6K 2.3K 17
[COMPLETED] "Princess - reality has never been your strong suit. LET ME GIVE YOU A HEALTHY DOSE." "Maybe you didn't lie... but you didn't tell the tr...
241K 12.7K 73
♥ C O M P L E T E D ♥ * Written long, long before Deceit's name reveal! Please bear with me. I would love to change each of the names but there are s...
24.3K 1.1K 13
The anxious side had a major mishap with the creative one during one of Thomas' videos. That happened again the next day, and the day after, and agai...
8.5K 488 20
PLZ READ BROKEN BOOK 1 AND SHATTERED BOOK 2 BEFORE READING THIS ~^@ Virgil's gone dark, Deceit's gone missing, and Patton's locked himself away. Ever...