A Dance of Princes (The Heir...

By Abreadcrumbie

There's nothing extraordinary about Vincent Stronghold. Bullied by pesky jocks, living in poverty with his si... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
An Author's Note

Chapter 14

7K 314 35
By Abreadcrumbie

I wasn't able to sleep that much last night; so many things were bouncing back and forth in my thoughts that I ended up watching television in the living room even though my mind wasn't with the program. There were things I had to consider before taking the crown, that was if I really wanted it.

The main thing that I focused on was Mom. For years we've been living through the minimum wage we both were making bi-weekly, and the apartment we were living in was at a decent rental rate that was included with free Wi-Fi and 24hour electricity & water. Minus that expense along with the food that we buy every two weeks to stock the cupboards, cabinets, and refrigerator and we have just about enough to allow us to at least go out for one night and have dinner at a good three-star restaurant.

And then when they raised the apartment rent, it threw everything that was stable off course. With the extra two hundred dollars that was supposed to go to our food added to the rent, Mom had to start taking night shifts at the hospital. We said goodbye to the once-a-week night outs and ordering pizzas. We stuck to canned foods, fried chicken, and soup. Lots of soup, and also an array of different salads.

If I were to accept this crown, I could help Mom a whole lot. I could even try to convince her to retire into that condo she always dreamt of buying. But most importantly, I could help her pay off all debts and expenses for the rest of her life. She wouldn't need to be paying anything else anymore. She wouldn't have to result in borrowing money from the bank (which she has considered lots of times even though I keep advising her not to). Ultimately, the only positive outcome I could think of if I decide to accept the crown is that I could pull Mom out of destitution and barely ever getting by.

Then there was the choice of rejecting the crown. There would be a lot of possibilities and outcomes that would come out of this. If I do reject the crown, I would be known as a coward, a disgrace to the bloodline of the family. I would be like Jason: someone who steps down from the throne, someone who seems to not care about their country even though they do but was too much under the pressure that it drove them over the edge.

I didn't want to reject the crown for one of two reasons; one: I would be able to start over and live a new life even though there would be a lot of things that I'd have to carry on my back, and two: I'd show all those people back home, those people who constantly kept pulling me down and tearing me apart because they thought I was weak, that I wasn't weak at all. I'd prove them wrong and show them just how far I am from cowardice.

There was also the reason of wanting to make Dad proud. I wanted to carry on his image, to let his memory live through me and remind the people that he wasn't gone, but just watching over them, over me, over Grandma. I wanted to keep his memory alive even though I never got to know him.

After putting on a fleece sweater and jeans, I walked towards the living room to get the phone, dialing my home's phone number. It took a couple of rings before Mom answered the phone.

"Hello?" She sounded tired.

"Mom?"

"Vincent?" Her voice was hoarse and I heard rustling of bed sheets. She must've been sleeping.

"Hey mom."

"Vincent, oh my goodness, I miss you, honey!"

"I miss you too, mom. Sorry if I'm calling this late."

"No, it's totally fine. How's uh, how's Allyria?"

"Well, it's fancy, I'll give you that. But it still doesn't feel like home. They don't make breakfast like you do."

She laughed softly. "Nothing's better than a mom's home cooked meal." There was a few seconds of short silence. "Your boss called me the other day. He sent in your last pay check through the mail."

I sighed softly. I totally forgot about work. They probably fired me already; maybe they saw or heard the news going around about me. It would've been funny to know that even if I rule the City of Gold that they would forget my last pay check, but I realized that it was probably for Mom. Jimmy, my boss, knew of our situation and was probably doing one last good deed.

"So you're really going for this thing, aren't you?" It didn't end like a question, more like a realization. I was quiet on the line for a few seconds, not knowing what I was supposed to say.

"I don't know, mom. I mean, I've thought about it a lot. There are pros and cons that could come out of this." A maid walked in, curtsied, and bid herself to do her morning duties.

"Yeah, but Mason misses you, I miss you, heck even Mrs. Crawford misses you. God knows what you do over there at Mason's house that got her thinking she has the right to call you 'darling'."

I laughed softly and smiled. "Grandma calls me that too."

"You're calling her Grandma now?"

"Well, I never knew any of my grandparents since they both passed away before I turned one. It would feel nice to finally have one, someone who can guide me with wisdom."

"I know, I just thought that she'd prefer to be called Elise. But if that's what you call her, I have no problem. I really miss you, honey. It's really quiet around her without you. Well, other than Norm who keeps shouting at his wife next door. They really need to divorce because seriously, she's crazy enough to forgive him after what she did and I'll say..."

Mom's voice tuned out. It was really good hearing her voice. It made me feel better than I've ever been ever since the first day I came here. Her voice was my light to go to in the darkness and it was my voice of reason. I don't know what I'd do without her. I've lost one parent. I can't afford to lose both.

"Hello," she dragged.

"Huh? Oh, sorry mom. Guess I'm a bit sleepy too."

"But isn't it morning over there? Have you been sleeping well lately? It's not like you to be up all night."

"Yeah, I just have a lot on my mind."

"Is there a boy involved?"

"What?"

"Uhuh, there's two boys involved."

"How did you-"

"I watch the worldwide news, honey. I saw the broadcast of the charity event and Mason did as well and oh my god you did not tell me that there were guys falling before you! They're so attractive, especially that Octavian guy. He seems really good for you-"

"Oh my god, mom, we are not having this conversation!"

"Come on! We gotta talk about boys! Are you being safe?"

"Mom, I have not had sex like ever. And Octavian's sweet, charming, confident..."

"Oh. My. God. You are in love with him. I knew it! My baby's in love!"

I blushed furiously, and I could tell I was because the maid was smiling at me so I turned away to hide it. My mom could get really loud on the phone. "Shhh, mom lower your voice or Norm is gonna be the one knocking on our door this time."

"I'm sorry, it's just that the last boy you got with was a complete jerk and let me tell you how much I wanted to slap his mother's face for telling me that it was your fault for not giving him what he wanted."

"I know mom, you've told me over a hundred times. But Octavian's different, so you don't need to worry."

"Oh, I can't wait for the Masquerade Ball!"

I blinked. "The what?"

"Hello, the Masquerade Ball? Your grandmother invited me and Mason to attend it. Must be a Halloween thing that they do over there, except there's no costumes. Just people with fancy clothing wearing masks drinking really expensive drinks and eating really expensive food and I will tell you this, I'm taking some of that home with me."

"No way, Mason's coming?"

"Yeah, I knew you'd be happy to have him over for a few days so why not? I told Elise that it would mean so much to you if he came."

I couldn't help but grin. "Thanks mom, I appreciate it. Okay well, I'll let you rest now. I'll see you then, alright?"

"Alright, honey. Take care of yourself. I'll see you soon. I love you!" She puckered a kiss over the phone and I laughed genuinely and told her I loved her too before hanging up the phone. Having the phone call with Mom was enough to jump start my day to a good start.

During noon, we had lunch in the Conference Room as the Chief of Finance, Arthur Holden, explained about our current economic state, which he explained was running along the line of the production possibility curve meaning that we're right where we should be in terms of cash flows and income. He also stated that many entrepreneurs, more particularly fast food and restaurant tycoons, would like to open up shop internationally in our country because of our high sources of income and the abundant flow of money that circulates around this place. Plus, it will also benefit our tourism industry here, greatly improving it if we allow them to open their businesses filled exotic cuisines that people can't find anywhere else. Grandma allowed me on the final decision that we were all trying to make. I was trying to remember what I learned in Economics class and apply it to this scenario. When Mr. Holden presented the business plans on the table, there were many agreeable remarks being exchanged, and we ended up approving the business licenses for the entrepreneurs to begin opening their franchises around the divisions.

I was exhausted by the end of the day. I loosed my striped tie and unbuttoned the first two buttons of my dress shirt as I walked towards the elevator in the center of the palace. As I pressed the Ascend button, I heard boots thumping on the marble flooring.

"Vince!" Octavian called from across the hall just when the elevator chimed. I held the door open as I let him approach me.

"Hey, Avian," I greeted. "Need something?"

His head looked shiny which was probably from the thing sheet of sweat that covered his forehead. I raised a brow at it, wondering where he had gone for the day. "Yes, as a matter-of-fact I do."

"Cool. What's up?"

"It's a surprise. Just let me get you back to your room to change and clean up first. You look like you've been run over by corporate giants."

"Something like that. But where are we going? I was planning to rest in my room for the rest of the night."

"No no, you're coming with me." He ushered me into the elevator and stood beside me.

"Do I have any choice in this?" I asked as we ascended four floors up into the wing where my room was located in.

"Nope, you're just going to have to trust me."

I sighed in defeated, nodding. "Alright, I'll play along. May I ask what's this all about?"

Octavian smiled cheekily and took my hands into his as the elevator chimed, the doors winding open. "I'm taking you out on a date."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Author's Note: Sorry that this chapter was shorter than usual! I wanted this chapter to convey the relationship he has with his mom and how they speak to one another, to establish a solid relationship with them. I hope I didn't bore you this chapter! And omfg, Octavian and Vincent on a date? Pinch me, I must be dreaming. I'll see you all in the next chapter for some naughty goody goodness. *wink*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 648 30
UNEDITED [Rich Kids, Book 1] Randall "Randy" Rockefeller is the king of Rockefeller High School. He has everything. The looks, the brain, the money...
470 76 21
Vanessa is a typical 18 year old girl, she goes to school and maintains a balanced life, her family struggles to make ends meet but that doesn't stop...
863K 46K 45
** story is triggering** His pleads for help were desperate as he watched his mates eyes flutter close and her chest stop rising. Her grip on his han...
8.1K 273 18
A closeted young man from a Caribbean country moves to America and ends up in the same college as his online crush yet unable to come to terms with h...