A New Beginning

By CrystalScherer

Sequel to Upon Wings Of Change. The dragonets are flourishing; both those in the park and those helping the K... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 55.5
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 2

19.3K 1.7K 820
By CrystalScherer

Tasha's POV:

I was inside the hut again when the doorbell rang. I hissed fiercely as my head swung around to face the entrance of the fake stump. I heard Keegan echo my hiss from a perch on the wall above. Taureen remained sitting on the couch next to the table, although I heard Aeria's footsteps heading down the hallway towards the door.

"Tkael, Soranto, thank you for bringing the new scratching post. I would invite you in, but I doubt you would even get through the doorway at the moment."

"I assume the eggs are hatching?" The deep voice belonged to Tkael.

"We think so," she replied, "or else they are so close that Tasha won't even let Taureen touch them."

Soranto joined the conversation. "Well, if she isn't letting him touch them, then I certainly don't want to see how she would react to my presence. We'll leave the scratching post here. If you need anything else, just let us know."

"Thank you very much. Have a good evening."

"You too. Send some pictures when you get the chance. I can't wait to see how cute they are, and it'll probably be weeks before I will get a chance to see them if Tasha has any say in the matter."

I snorted faintly as the door closed – he wasn't getting near my children. I turned my head to nuzzle the eggs once more, humming deeply to them. In response, they resumed their rocking. They could hear me and had instinctively become motionless when I had hissed.

They had apparently been much closer to hatching than I had realized at lunchtime. Shortly after our evening meal, they had started trying to break free. Even as much as I trusted Taureen, I simply couldn't bear to let him touch the eggs at this moment. He had been perfectly understanding and was content to sit on the couch beside the nest, watching through the entrance.

The hatching process could take several hours, and they had been going at it for at least an hour. I wasn't about to leave the nest anytime soon and simply stood guard over them like a broody hen.

And heaven help any person who tried to stick their hand in the entrance...

The eggs were rocking and rolling to some energetic beat known only to them. The slightly larger egg had a few cracks in it, and I suspected that it wouldn't be much longer before the hatchling inside freed himself.

The other egg was rolling all over the place – even managing to somehow roll up and out of the nest several times, causing me to gently guide the egg back into nest before pushing more sand around the rim of the nest to make it higher.

I seriously hoped that my daughter didn't have that much energy when she finally hatched. Even in the egg, she was trying to get into mischief.

Time passed slowly as I thrummed encouragement to the two eggs. They paused occasionally to rest, but both eggs had several cracks marring their shells.

A crack announced the arrival of my first child; the larger shell finally split open, letting the blue dragonet squirm free, his oversized wings sprawling in all directions. Like any baby, he cried out in distress and confusion. Thrumming louder, I nuzzled him in reassurance while I used my tail to flick the two empty shell pieces out the entrance.

Keegan and I already had several names picked out, with the color of the hatchling's scales being the determining factor.

I mindspoke the three in the room, "Dirk just hatched."

Keegan trilled his happiness from under the heat lamp beside the stump. Joy colored his voice. "Now all that remains to be seen is what our daughter's name will be."

Taureen's fancy scanner was able to determine their gender, but not the color of their scales. There were three possible colors for a female; gold, red, and green – and thus, three possible names.

I moved my tail to form a shield around Dirk as his sister's egg exuberantly careened right in his direction, almost as if she had him on her radar. My tail gently deflected her egg even as I started to lightly rub warm sand across Dirk's damp wings to dry them. His scales would be very soft and delicate for the next day or so until they hardened.

His neck seemed far too flimsy to hold his head up, and his head bobbed unsteadily when he tried to move it. The soft, blunt claws would soon harden, although it would be a few weeks before they got sharp.

He had the appeal that most young creatures had, and like most mothers, I was convinced that he was as cute as a button. His over-sized and uncoordinated wings made him look particularly adorable.

It didn't take me long to clean up Dirk and help him settle down for a nap. He managed to curl up into a tiny ball all on his own, although he had needed some assistance with his wings.

His sister's egg was currently rolling around me in laps.

Her laps weren't exactly intentional. I had curled up around her sleeping brother, using my tail, body, and wings to form a barricade, and she was simply rolling against my scales since the now-raised sides of the nest finally kept her contained in the nest.

I bumped her egg with my snout, humming more deeply. She responded with a few more rather-energetic rolls before pausing, likely to rest. Keegan poked his head into the entrance, and I stretched out my neck to bump noses with my mate.

He reached further in to gently nuzzle the blue hatchling before backing out of the entrance momentarily. There wasn't enough room in the stump for both of us to fit comfortably, but it wasn't long before Keegan returned with a small bowl of fruit and stuck his head and shoulders in the entrance.

I ate a few pieces while Keegan nudged Dirk awake with a croon. Dirk may have been soundly asleep, but the sound had an immediate effect as he woke up and began creeling for food.

It was kind of surprising how much food he managed to eat before instantly falling into a sound sleep. Keegan reluctantly backed out of the entrance; he didn't want to leave, but even though his head and arms fit in the entrance, the small opening pinched his wings and sides. My daughter's egg did another lap around me.

Several laps later, I finally pinned her egg between my hands. The activity inside stilled, as if in shock that I had curtailed her movement. It didn't last long though, and shortly afterwards, she resorted to knocking around inside the egg once more. With her efforts no longer being converted into momentum, the cracks spread rapidly across the egg.

Finally, at long last, one corner of the shell broke open, and a scarlet snout stuck itself out of the hole as she took her first real breaths of fresh air. The small egg tooth on the end of her nose would fall off within hours, but it was needed to break out of the hard shell. I sent a mental image of it to the others, trying to include them as best I could when my protective motherly instincts were in overdrive.

Tessa's nose withdrew into her shell as she began rocking and banging around again. I carefully broke a few pieces away from her air hole as I enlarged the opening somewhat.

It was as much assistance as I dared to give her. Forcing the hatching of any bird or reptile was often detrimental to their health, and I wasn't about to take a chance with my daughter when she was doing a fine job on her own.

Before too much time had passed, she managed to break free, squeaking in alarm at the sudden lack of confining walls. I quickly dried her off as Keegan brought more fruit. She ate just as much as her brother had before falling asleep.

I finally stood up with a tired sigh, regarding the two tiny balls of blue and red scales that were curled up side by side. My wing muscles were stiff, and I really wanted to stretch – something that wasn't possible in this small shelter.

Considering that they were sleeping soundly and shouldn't wake for at least another hour, I decided to take a break while I could. I squeezed through the narrow entrance before spreading my wings in a wide stretch, arching my back as my claws sunk deep into the sand. Finished, I shook my scales until they chimed as I looked around.

Taureen was still on the couch beside the end table, as he had been since the eggs had first started seriously rocking. The sun hadn't set yet, so I assumed that roughly three hours had passed, which was about average according to the other dragonets.

The long wait didn't seem to bother the ever-patient Kymari as he asked, "How are they doing?"

"They are sleeping at the moment. Although I doubt that will last long." I looked at the bowl of fruit on the edge of the table. "We are going to need more fruit than that before the sun rises."

He looked at the bowl in mild surprise; it currently held more than what I normally ate in one sitting. "I'm not sure how they can possibly eat that much, but I will bring more out before I go to bed."

Having previously helped feed several nestlings, I knew what I was up against. Thankfully, there was always a large stockpile of fruit in the kitchen, so it wasn't as if we would run out. I was capable of getting the fruit out of the preservation shelves and cutting it up, but I knew that Taureen preferred to do it.

I asked Keegan, "Can you watch the nest for a moment?"

"Of course."

After three hours, I really needed a bathroom break and quickly flew to the bathroom. The Kymari lavatories were fairly similar to the old human ones, and it was possible for the dragonets to use them. A shallow dish of water and a soft towel on the counter allowed us to rinse off our hands and feet.

The youngsters would use a litter tray filled with sand until they weren't so clumsy, although I would be cleaning the nest for the first couple of days. Taureen had been kind enough to sew small scraps of leather into gloves so I didn't have to touch their 'presents' with my bare hands. The wild dragonets usually used leaves for this chore.

I was just thankful that I would only have to do it for a couple of days. They would be mobile enough to walk within two days. By the end of the week, they would be able to fly; a clumsy flight, but flight nonetheless.

Dragonets grew up quickly. From what we had seen so far, by the end of their first year, they were basically young adults and almost as big as their parents, although it would be about five years before they were fully grown and mature.

But that was a long way into the future; they weren't even an hour old yet, and they had a lot of growing ahead of them.

------------------

Author's Note:

Please note, if you are reading this anywhere other than Wattpad, then it is a pirated copy.
Please go to Wattpad.com to read it for free.
Thank you for your time. Happy Reading!  :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 338 70
[Wings of fire - Evolution AU] What if Darkstalker listened to Fathom? The dragonets of destiny never had a destiny. They were hatched just lik...
557 18 11
NOTE: The following is a fanfiction inspired by Tui T Sutherland's "Wings of Fire" saga. "Wings of Fire" does not belong to me, and much of the mater...
5.1K 171 41
*THIS BOOK MIGHT BE DELETED* When the Dragonets of Destiny, have defeated the war, The next generation will come, Soon to be savors and hero's, the n...
114K 6.8K 25
Missy's life had never been an easy one. Between getting abused at home and being bullied at school, she can never catch a break, and to make matters...