Wolf at Heart

By Whisper486

. : Book One : . Melody is a member of one of the five tribes of animal shapeshifters who live beyond the hum... More

Notice
Prologue
Chapter One: The Ceremony
Chapter Two: First Encounter
Chapter Three: Friendly Fire
Chapter Four: Sea Serpent Scandal
Chapter Five: Remembering Them
Chapter Six: Fight in the Forest
Chapter Seven: Bandit Trouble
Chapter Eight: The Message
Chapter Nine: Silent Escape
Chapter Ten: The Lupine Camp
Chapter Eleven: Midnight Feast
Chapter Twelve: A Hunter's Advice
Chapter Thirteen: Left or Right
Chapter Fourteen: The Instructors
Chapter Fifteen: Stable Life
Chapter Sixteen: Training
Chapter Seventeen: His Perspective
Chapter Eighteen: Into the Woods
Chapter Nineteen: Surprise Attack
Chapter Twenty: The Hunters
Chapter Twenty One: The Predators
Chapter Twenty Two: Meeting Him
Chapter Twenty Three: Wolf and Raven
Chapter Twenty Four: Visions
Chapter Twenty Five: Yes or No
Chapter Twenty Six: Paranoid
Chapter Twenty Eight: Problems
Chapter Twenty Nine: Sun's Chosen
Chapter Thirty: His Memories
Chapter Thirty One: Discussion
Chapter Thirty Two: Flashback
Chapter Thirty Three: Aftermath
Chapter Thirty Four: Confusing Feelings
Chapter Thirty Five: To Think
Chapter Thirty Six: Plans
Chapter Thirty Seven: Sharing
Chapter Thirty Eight: Captivated
Chapter Thirty Nine: Wrong Captive
Chapter Forty: Stolen Property
Chapter Forty One: Last Warning
Chapter Forty Two: Another Perspective
Chapter Forty Three: The Raven's Claw
Chapter Forty Four: Dominance Game
Chapter Forty Five: Alpha's Command
Chapter Forty Six: Bandages
Chapter Forty Seven: Tomorrow Night
Chapter Forty Eight: The Deal
Chapter Forty Nine: Scars
Chapter Fifty: His Worries
Chapter Fifty One: Tight Boundaries
Chapter Fifty Two: Mistakes Made
Chapter Fifty Three: Double Crossed
Chapter Fifty Four: Unexpected Help
Chapter Fifty Five: A Mysterious Man
Announcement
Chapter Fifty Six: Awoken
Chapter Fifty Seven: Training Begins
Chapter Fifty Eight: Unspoken Promises
Chapter Fifty Nine: Hidden Waterfall
Chapter Sixty: Heated Moments
Chapter Sixty One: The Festival
Chapter Sixty Two: Secrets Revealed
Chapter Sixty Three: A Day Off
Chapter Sixty Four: Risky Assessment
Chapter Sixty Five: Icy Barriers
Chapter Sixty Six: Earthen Explosion
Chapter Sixty Seven: Lost Relations
Chapter Sixty Eight: Final Oblivion
Epilogue
Afterword
Notice

Chapter Twenty Seven: Welcome Home

21 6 6
By Whisper486

Dakota had been scouting ahead while Ash and I walked in human form behind. I'd taken a sip of water but nearly spewed it out when I saw him heading in our direction.

The said person stopped dead in his tracks. "Mel?"

Sputtering, I incredulously replied, just as bewildered as he. "Erin?"

For a few stunned seconds, we just stared at each other.

Then Erin rushed forward and crushed me in a bear hug. He stood back to get a good look at me. "You've grown a bit from last time. Your new clothes look better than the Feline's plain pre-Ceremony ones."

I took him in as well, backing up. "You're looking great too. What're you doing out in the forest?"

Erin shook the hair from his eyes. "I'm checking the garden out back. Speaking of that, who's your raven friend?"

Ash had been standing stiffly to the side, but now he gripped Erin's hand in greeting, a faint smile on his face. "I got permission to come to visit the Feline's renowned markets. I met Miss Melody on the way here. We're going to the harbors with one other friend of hers. Ah, there he is now."

Dakota jogged back to us and I introduced him to my brother. "Hey. Dakota, this is Erin, my older brother. Erin, this is Dakota. Ash just told him that we're here to visit the markets and harbors."

Understanding shone in his eyes at my emphasis. He was on board.

"Uh, yeah, I'm here to accompany her on her journey here. Would you happen to know where we could stay? We've been traveling for quite a while now."

I was surprised at how polite Dakota was being. Then again, we were on a mission and we did need a place to rest. Soggy tents just didn't cut it.

Erin's face lit up. "No problem. You guys can stay at my place while you're here! I'll have to drop by Mother's house to first for something though. I'm sure that they won't mind."

I involuntarily winced.

Oh, but they would. Very much so.

I was going to see my parents again and get a lecture for who knows how long. We still had to find the Sun's Chosen one, aka the backstabber. On top of that, apparently, Erin and Mike were still oblivious to the full extent of our parent's ways.

This trip was steadily turning into a nightmare. If the fate of the world hadn't hung in the balance, I would've high-tailed it back to the Lupine already.

At least Ash had been able to come up with a good alibi on the spot. Things could've gotten complicated.

The Feline were famous for their exotic markets and harbors. Tribes would constantly send people to buy various supplies. All of the tribes were on friendly terms with each other, so visitors weren't uncommon. The Lupine didn't receive as many, considering that they lived in the mountains, but they still came now and then.

But now that it was half destroyed and abandoned, the news would soon spread...And the other tribes would soon suffer the same fate unless we trapped the Predators back in their Underworld prison. Hopefully for good.

Except that we still had no clue how to do that.

Just a minor setback.

Snapping back to the present, I trailed after Ash while Dakota and Erin chatted.

With every step, my dread mounted.

"Hey," Ash said, glancing back at me and slowing his pace. "Any tips on how to talk to your parents? I don't want to get kicked out on the first day."

Disguising my fear, I grinned. "And I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Be on your best behavior or sleep on the streets."

It wasn't an exaggeration.

Ash acted grim. "Yes ma'am, no worries. I know my manners like the back of my head. Which I happen to not know at all."

I laughed. "That wasn't funny. Nope. Not at all."

Raising an eyebrow, Ash stuffed his hands in his pockets.

With a sudden realization, I grudgingly smiled at the raven. "Oh, I see. You said a bad joke just to cheer me up. Making light of the situation per se."

Ash shrugged. "Anything to get you to smile. You're too...You shouldn't frown all the time."

Heat rushed to my face and I looked away, pretending to study a nearby house. 'I was too' what?

I didn't have time to ponder much, because we had arrived at the streets of the Feline city. Erin led us through the winding roads to an ordinary looking house bordering the sparse forest.

Bracing myself, I strode to the front and stood tall as Erin knocked on the door.

My mother's stern face appearing as she opened the door. When she saw me standing there, her face went slack.

"Hello, Mother...I'm home."

We sat in a quaint living room that I knew well. Our house didn't boast luxury as others did, but it kept out the rain. It also held me captive as a child.

My father and mother sat ramrod straight on their rickety chairs. Father wore plain brown trousers and a shirt that marked him as a farmer. Mother wore clothing of the same fabric: tan, worn skirt, ordinary shirt, and a woven shawl. Both commanded an air of respect that I was painfully familiar with.

Though they hadn't said a word yet, their expressions said enough in themselves. Don't speak unless first spoken to. Get back to work. Why is my Lupine disgrace of a daughter back in my house?

Our father turned to Erin, clearing his throat. "Please explain why you have brought these three to our home."

I closed my eyes briefly. 'These three.' Not a whisper of affection from him. What did I expect from my dear, loving parents?

Erin could hardly contain himself. "I found Melody while tending the gardens. They said they were here to visit the markets and harbor."

Father turned to Dakota, disapproval written all over his face. "And you are? What is your trade?"

Dakota stood and made a slight bow. "Dakota. Hunter for the Lupine. Pleased to meet you, sir."

My father's face softened slightly. "At least this one has manners." His expression froze over again as he moved his attention to Ash. "Who are you and what do you do?"

Ash remained stoic as he spoke, but his eyes reflected my own annoyance. "My name is Ash. I was...I am an apprentice carpenter for the Avian, sir."

"And why is an apprentice carpenter wearing rags like this?" Father gestured, not noticing the irony.

"Believe it or not," Ash said, an apologetic smile on his face that I knew was fake. "I ran into bandits on the way here. They robbed me of most of my valuables."

I nearly breathed a sigh of relief. Thank goodness the boys were polite. We were going to need it.

Father looked at me for the first time since we'd gotten here. "And what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to gather supplies for my instructor," I lied fluently, not missing a beat. "We've run out of certain items, so they sent me to collect them at the market and the harbor."

Mother spoke up. "What trade have you chosen?"

Swallowing, I stare straight ahead. "Stablehand for the Delphai."

For a few seconds, the room was silent, and a bead of sweat trickled down my neck.

Then my mother said dryly, "Well, it's a step up from being a farmer. Well done, Melody. I hadn't expected you to make a life for yourself without us."

The compliment came like a slap in the face.

My father dismissed us with a wave of his hand. "You three can share the spare guest room upstairs. Ash, you'll find a set of Avian clothing in the closet. Take it and make yourself presentable. I have no use for it. Dakota, as you are staying in my home, I expect you to have hunted some game by the end of the day. It shouldn't be too difficult, considering what I've heard about you. Melody, you and Ash will help Erin tend to the garden. Erin, direct them to their rooms. You may leave once you have done so."

A little puzzled by how the conversation had gone, Erin obeyed, leading us up the stairs. "I don't know Mel, they seem a bit stressed today. Usually, they aren't as strict about this kind of thing."

I had to refrain from kicking him in the shins.

Erin was by no means stupid, but my parents only acted cold around me. They'd hid it well from him, as did I. I'd always make up excuses about why I would show up with bruises and scrapes.

It was better this way.

He left us in the room and called over his shoulder as he walked out. "I'll be back in half an hour to show you and Ash the garden."

Dakota claimed the bed closest to the door first, laying his items out. "I don't know what to say...but..."

Ash closed the door and looked at me, completing Dakota's thoughts. "Mel, your parents are something alright. Whew. You lived here for sixteen years?"

I laughed bitterly. "Yeah, I know..."

"When you explained the thing about your parents forcing you to fight, I thought you were kidding," Dakota said, running a hand through his hair.

Sighing, I muttered, "Welcome to my life."

Dumping my satchel on the bed next to the window, I put my hands on my hips, surveying the room.

It was the same as when I'd left it.

Remembering the conversation, I called to Ash. "Didn't my father say that there was a set of clothing in the closet? Go try it on, your own is almost falling apart."

Ash went over to the closet door and opened it. He took out the clothing and we all shared a look. A moment passed and we all burst out laughing.

Father had been mistaken about the clothing.

Yes, it was distinctly Avian...suit for an Avian lady.

A full-length dress lay on the bed, lace and embroidering covering it.

Dakota snickered. "Mhm. Yeah, go ahead and try it on, Ash. It'll fit perfectly."

I shook my head, still laughing and took the dress from Ash. Carefully slipping it back onto its clothes hanger, I hung the dress up, shutting the door with a grin.

Ash snorted. "Make myself presentable. Uh huh."

"In the meantime," I said, rummaging through my satchel, "We can try to think out our next step. We know what we're here for, but how is the question."

Nodding thoughtfully, Ash scratched at his temple. "If they let us, tomorrow we'll go down to the harbors to find her. If not -- worst-case scenario -- we'll sneak out somehow and go from there."

Ash looked at us expectantly, and I raised my hands. "This is your territory, not ours."

"Yeah, not all of us come up with escape plans in our free time," Dakota said, casually polishing his dagger before sheathing it. I thought I saw him glare at Ash for a second before cooly returning his gaze to his dagger.

"On the contrary..." Ash replied, "I do believe that Mel would have, judging on how you've been treated. Based on common instinct, I think you would've considered it at least a couple of times."

Dakota glanced at Ash and I several times, sarcastically questioning, "Gee, how did an apprentice carpenter figure out all this?"

Ash bristled visibly. "Well this apprentice carpenter happened to pick a few tricks, just so you know."

I felt the tension brewing in the room and quickly snapped at both of them. "Hey, people! Aren't we supposed to be focusing on the mission? Instead of yelling pointlessly at each other, how about we get something done for once?"

Both boys stared at me, anger completely defused for the moment.

Clearing his throat, Ash agreed. "Yeah, so where were we again?"

He was about to continue when Erin entered the room, cheerfully clapping his hands together. "Time to get gardening guys. Dakota, I left the back door unlocked so you can get back in later. Now let's get going."

That foils our plans.

I just hoped that he hadn't overheard anything.

(Side Note: I might not be able to draw all the characters, but I'll try. So...Ray, Isaac and Selina, and maybe Melody? I gotta get a response before I draw though.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75 15 13
*Wings Book 1 If you are expecting a nice main character who does as she's told and is the picture of virtue... you're reading the wrong book. But i...
96K 4.3K 54
Ayn is a witch with healing powers. Shapeshifters have killed her parents and the only animals she cannot speak with are wolves. When she graduates...
153 0 42
What happens when a shape shifting girl gets adopted? What happens when her dead sister tries to help her? What happens when her adopted brother fall...
3K 131 23
I look as she yells at my beta for making her friend mad, and I can't help but think about her. She is always going to be my world, no matter what. W...