Something New |Connor x reade...

By 1LittleWolf2

Jeffrey Fowler was a family friend, someone your parents were close to and who was basically part of the fami... More

Ch.1
Ch.2
Ch.3
Ch.4
Ch.5
Ch.6
Ch.7
Ch.8
Ch.9
Ch.10
Ch.11
Ch.12
Ch.13
Ch.14
Ch.15
Ch.16
Ch.18
Ch.19
Ch.20
CH.21
Ch.22
Ch.23
CH. 24
Ch.25

Ch.17

3.6K 112 91
By 1LittleWolf2

You jolted awake when loud knocks came from the front door. Your heart was beating loudly in your ears and you couldn't register what was happening. You groaned quietly against Connor's chest and pushed yourself up on your elbows. "What the fuck?" You said groggily. You looked up and saw that Connor was still asleep, apparently not hearing the front door. Memories of last night flooded your thoughts, a light blush rushing to your cheeks. You jumped again when more loud bangs came from the door.

"(Y/N)!! It's 8:00!" Hank yelled. You blinked for a few seconds before you rolled your eyes, today of all days he's the one to tell you you're late. You glared over at the front door and glanced down at Connor as you slid off of him. You looked down at him, wondering why he wasn't waking up. More bangs came from the door.

You huffed and stomped over to the door, swinging it open and glaring at the man in front of you. "I heard you the first time!" You said in a gruff whisper.

He raised his brow. "Why are you whispering?" He looked you over. "And why do you barely have any fuckin' clothes on?" You looked down at yourself and crossed your arms over your chest. Sudden realization came over his features, he gasped. "You didn't!"

You groaned as heat started to over take your face, walking away from the door to try and hide it. "You're right, we didn't." You continued to speak in a quiet tone, sounding completely annoyed.

"Why are you whispering?" He asked again, walking in and closing the door.

"Connor's sleeping." You said. Hank furrowed his brow, looking completely confused when he saw the android indeed asleep on the couch. You walked over to your room and pulled open your closet.

"What did you do to him? He's out cold." Hank snapped his fingers in front of the android's face. You pulled out an outfit, and started undressing. Throwing your pajamas across the room and pulling on your other ones. You walked out of your room, checking if you had any notifications on your phone. Confirming that Hank called you three times and sent fifteen text messages. "Has this happened before?" Hank asked, looking at the candy and popcorn on the coffee table.

"No." You replied, standing next to him in front of the couch. "I'm kinda worried." You confessed.

"I'm sure he's fine. You just over worked him last night." He teased.

"Shut the fuck up." You growled out.

You kneeled down and grabbed Connor's shoulder. "Wait." Hank stopped you from shaking him by grabbing your arm. "Can I smack him?" You glared at him, pushing his hand off your arm.

"No... " You hesitated for another moment, actually contemplating the question, but shook the thought from your head. "No." You repeated, your tone a little more firm. Hank sighed and crossed his arms. You shook Connor's shoulder, a little less than gentle. "Connor?" You made up for it with how soft you said his name.

His LED went yellow as his eyes fluttered open. His brow furrowed and he turned his head so he could look into your eyes. You smiled down at him. His face relaxed and he reached forward with his hand to wrap it around the back of your neck. He leaned forward but you stopped him with a gentle hand on his chest. "Connor, Hank's here."

He looked confused before he quickly sat up, pulling his hand away in the process. "Lieutenant!" Hank arched his brow, not surprised at all.

"Connor." He replied with a nod, motioning towards the couch. "You usually sleep like a rock?" Connor thought for a moment, a frown appearing on his face. His eyes inspected the couch as if the answer to Hank's question was on it.

"I must've lost track of time." He said, sounding puzzled. You stood up straight, brushing off your pants.

"No big deal. It's good that you slept. How do you feel?" You pat his shoulder, a small smile on your lips. The android still looked puzzled, pushing up off the couch.

"My system is running at a faster rate. I feel good." He flashed a small smile before he looked down at the coffee table and leaned down to grab his jacket.

"That could've been from your de-stressing session last night." Hank mumbled. You blushed, smacking Hank's arm hard enough for it to make a noise. Connor paused as he was pulling on his jacket, tilting his head and furrowing his brow.

"De-stressing?" He questioned, going over what had happened the night before. There were many relaxing aspects of it... but he considered it mostly exciting. He raised his brow, shook his head and finished putting his jacket on. "What would be considered as de-stressing?" He asked. Hank shook his head, rolling his eyes in an exaggerated way and walking over to the kitchen.

"Never mind. Hurry the fuck up and get ready." You and Connor watched as he left, looking at each other once he turned the corner. You took a step forward and wrapped your hand around the back of his neck, brushing your lips lightly against his cheek.

"Good morning." You whispered, stepping back.

He blinked a couple times before responding. "Good morning, (Y/N)." He had a small smile on his lips again. "Would you like it if I made breakfast?" He asked. You bent down and grabbed his tie, rubbing the fabric between your fingers before wrapping it around his neck.

"Why don't you make something for Hank? I'll cut up some fruit." You pulled the end of the tie through a loop and tightened it against Connor's throat. He grabbed your wrist, getting you to look up at him.

"What should I cook?" You thought about it for a minute, chewing the inside of your cheek.

"He likes omelettes. I have all the stuff that you need in the refrigerator." You replied, sliding your wrist from his hand to grab onto his fingers. You squeezed his fingers lightly. The android's hand lost its skin, lifting your right hand between the both of you. You gazed down at your joined hands, content with the way his hand made yours look small.

"Where did you learn how to tie a tie?" He asked, his other hand going up to touch the fabric.

"My dad taught me. He always said it was a good skill to have..." You frowned and pulled your hand away. "I guess it was useful." Connor ran his hand down the fabric of his tie. When he looked into your eyes he saw the sudden shift in your mood.

"He sounds nice." He said.

You nodded, smiling sadly. "He was."

-

Hank had been against Connor cooking for him but after you gave him a serious death glare he gave in. Which resulted in him shoveling eggs into his mouth. You rolled your eyes and popped a piece of strawberry into your mouth.

"I'm glad you're enjoying your breakfast, Hank." Connor said, washing the pan he used to cook. "Breakfast is a very important part of the day. I wouldn't want you to go without." You smiled around your fork, looking over at your partner.

"Yeah, whatever." He stabbed at a wilted piece of spinach on his plate, scooping up the last of his eggs with it. You finished the last of your fruit, grabbing Hank's empty plate and bringing it to the sink.

"You know you didn't have to do those." You said quietly between the two of you, taking the sponge from the android. You stood close enough to him that your shoulder was flushed against his. "You don't have to do anything." The android looked down at you, brushing his fingers against your arm.

"I know." He said, enjoying the small smile that pulled at your lips. Hank, stood up and stretched his arms above his head.

"Are we heading out?" The old man questioned, checking his phone for the time. "It's already 9:30."

"Yeah, we can go." You rinsed off the last plate and dried off your hands. "Who's driving?"

Hank pulled out his keys. "Me. Who else would?"

You thought about the few times Connor had been behind the wheel of that car but didn't suggest the Android should drive for your own good. "I don't know, me?" Hank laughed, walking away to the front door.

"No, your driving sucks." He yelled from across the room. You frowned, rushing to follow your partner.

"My driving does not suck." You said, offended. Connor's hand landed on the small of your back when he came up next to you, the weight of it a comforting presence.

The old man scoffed and threw open the front door. "Sure. Whatever you say."

-

You had fallen asleep on the way there, your head resting against the cold glass of the window. Hank and Connor were silent for the first ten minutes of the drive. Connor simply stared out the window, observing everything that flew by as he determined how he'd approach Kamski.

"What did you and (Y/N) do last night?" Hank asked, breaking the silence. Connor turned his attention to him, feeling his pump regulator speed up. He suddenly felt uneasy, he didn't know why.

"We watched a movie." He replied honestly, going back to looking out the window.

"Really? What movie did you two watch?" Hank continued to question.

"Avatar." He said, not adding anything else.

"What'd you think of it?" Connor found it strange that Hank was chatting with him willingly.

Now that he thought about it for a few seconds, he only remembered the beginning of the movie. "The beginning seemed to be very interesting. (Y/N) showed clear signs of interest in the film despite its age." He couldn't really remember anything from the night before, only how your skin felt and the noises you made. The movie was just a faint memory.

Hank hummed, glancing up into the rearview mirror. "Anything else?"

Connor looked up at Hank in the front seat. "No, just the movie. (Y/N) went to bed right after it was over." He didn't notice how he sounded just a bit defensive but Hank definitely did. So the old man dropped it, deciding that he'd talk to you about it later.

Connor chose to change the subject. "How was your drive home, Hank?" He asked. Hank shrugged, not answering the android. Connor frowned and decided staying silent would get this uneasy feeling to go away.

-

You jumped when the car went over a pothole on the road. A grunt came from you as your eyes fluttered open. "Fuck." Hank said. You glanced over at your partner. "I'm gonna pop my fuckin' tire." He muttered to himself, shaking his head.

You chuckled and rubbed the palms of your hands over your eyes. "How far is it?" Your voice sounded tired still.

"We're a few minutes away." Connor replied. You smiled sleepily at him over your shoulder in a silent thank you.

Sure enough after about three minutes you were parked in front of the expensive looking house, the walls appeared extremely perfect on the outside. The snow around it made the place appear whitewashed and outlandish. It looked surreal.

"What's the plan?" Hank asked.

You shrugged, a bit intimidated by the place all together. "Knock on the door?" You didn't mean to sound so sarcastic, really it was sort of a habit.

Hank opened his mouth to say a smart ass reply but his phone started ringing. He looked down and answered, pushing his car door open and getting out without another word. You sighed and unbuckled your seatbelt, turning in your seat so you could look at Connor.

"Are you still tired?" He asked.

"No, I'm good now. Hank just woke me up before I was ready earlier." You smiled at the android as you replied.

You two stared at one another for a moment in silence. He was the one to break the eye contact to look down at his hands. "Do you think we'll get any information?" He sounded desperate and you suddenly felt like this was your last chance to solve this case. You frowned, unhappy at the desperation in his voice.

"I'm not sure, Connor. But if we don't it'll be fine, we can always find something else." You reached forward and grabbed his hand. "We'll figure this out. I won't let them deactivate you." You had faith in your team, and you weren't going to lose it anytime soon. Connor gripped your hand, his face not showing you much. You gave his hand a light squeeze before you slid your hand from his and turned back around. "Let's go."

You pushed your door open and stepped out of the car. It felt nice to get out of that seat, all of the sleep finally leaving you when the cold rushed against your skin. You stretched your arms above your head, taking in a deep breath. Connor got out beside you, observing you for a quick moment before walking over to Hank.

You walked up to Hank right when he ended his call. "Is everything alright, Hank?" Connor asked.

Hank nodded. "Chris was on patrol last night. He was attacked by a bunch of deviants..." You raised your brow.

"Is he alright?" You haven't heard much on group deviant attacks but having one now, and the victim being a police officer wouldn't look good for androids.

"If you'd let me finish." He said a bit agitated. You raised your hands up in surrender. "He said he was saved by Markus himself... And he's fine, in shock but unharmed." Hank seemed surprised that the deviant didn't cause some kind of disaster. It was good he was hearing about it. You followed after him when he started walking towards the front door of the house.

You could hear Connor's feet crunching the snow behind the two of you. "I have a bad feeling about this." Connor said, getting you to look back at him. "We shouldn't have come here." You furrowed your brow, confused as to why now he was having doubts.

"Should get your program checked. Might be a glitch..." Came Hank's snarky reply.

"We'll be fine, Connor." You said as the three of you came up to the door. Connor wasn't sure he believed you, he still felt uneasy. "If he doesn't know anything we'll leave, simple."

Hank pressed the doorbell. The simple tune that came from it didn't fit the place. Hank went to ring it again but the door opened before he could. A pale android stood in the doorway, a polite graceful look to her. You thought she was pretty. "Hi, uh... I'm Lieutenant Hank Anderson, and this is my partner detective (Y/N) (Y/L/N), Detroit police department. We're here to see Mr. Elijah Kamski." He sounded formal, something you haven't heard in awhile.

The android smiled "Please, come in." She said in a soft voice, stepping back and gesturing with her hand for the three of you to enter. Hank paused for a second, surprised that it was this simple.

He glanced quickly over to you before saying "Okay." He walked in, you and Connor following after him. The android held her hands in front of her, a formal gesture.

"I'll let Elijah know you're here. But please, make yourselves comfortable." She gave a tentative nod and briskly walked out of the room. You stared at the large portrait of Elijah at the end of the room, it captured your attention immediately. A narcissistic touch to the hospital like mansion.

"Nice girl." You dragged your gaze towards Hank, nodding your head.

"Yeah, she's so pretty." You commented, walking over to the chair next to him. You plopped down into it, running your hand over the maroon fabric.

Connor was still observing the various items around the room. "This is a nice place too. Guess androids weren't a bad thing for everybody." You arched your brow, looking at him again. "What?" He questioned.

"They weren't bad for everyone."

He chuckled. "Yeah, that hickey peeking out of your shirt proves that." You furrowed your brow and grabbed your phone, checking your neck in the camera. Rolling your eyes when you caught his bluff and shoving your phone back into your pocket. He caught you.

"Ha-ha." You glared at him. Lowering yourself in the seat, and crossing your arms over your chest. Connor, who had been listening to the conversation, glanced over in your direction. His posture and face just screamed nervous.

"I won't say anything." Hank mumbled. You went to say something but Hank changed the subject, not wanting to talk about it. "So, Connor, you're about to meet your maker. How does it feel?" The android flickered his gaze towards Hank, quickly going back to looking around the room.

"Kamski is one of the greatest geniuses of the 21st Century. It'll be interesting to meet him in person." Connor paused in front of one of the pictures, recognizing the person posing in it. You noticed him falter but it happened so quickly you thought it was in your head.

"Sometimes I wish I could meet my creator face to face... I'd have a couple of things I'd wanna tell him." You locked eyes with Hank, a frown resting on your lips.

"Ditto." You both looked sad, the two of you knowing exactly what the other would say. Connor glanced over again, a small frown on his face as well.

"Elijah will see you now." You all turned towards the door when the girl spoke. You pushed off the seat and followed behind her. Right as you entered the room you registered it was an indoor pool. Two androids were conversing in the pool, each one looking the exact same as the android guiding all of you to the other side of the pool.

"Mr. Kamski?" Hank said in a firm voice.

Kamski was still in the pool "Just a moment, please." You busied yourself with looking out the giant window, silently wishing you had a view like this. You were annoyed when Elijah took another lap, not even acting like any of you bothered him in the slightest. Connor stood in between you and Hank, watching Elijah's every move. You would have thought it was strange if it were anyone else, but you knew Connor was only scanning him.

When Elijah finally got out of the pool was when you looked away, going back to staring out the window. The billionaire walked slowly in front of all of you, taking a moment to look out the window before turning around to finally address the three of you.

"I'm Detective (L/N). These are my partners, Lieutenant Hank Anderson and Connor." You started, not liking the way his eyes dug into yours.

"What can I do for you, detective?" He asked, complete and utter confidence apparent in his tone of voice.

"Sir, we're investigating deviants. We know you left CyberLife three years ago but, I was hoping you'd be able to tell us something we don't know..." He was silent for a few seconds after you spoke, making the air all the more tense.

He dragged his gaze from you to look over Connor. "Deviants. Fascinating aren't they? Perfect beings with infinite intelligence, and now they have free will..." He paused again and glanced over at the pale android next to him. "Machines are so superior to us, confrontation was inevitable... Humanity's greatest achievement threatens to be its downfall." He chuckled. "Isn't it ironic?" You glanced over at Hank, your brow arched.

"If a war breaks out between humans and deviants, millions could die, Mr. Kamski. It's quite a serious matter." Connor too was annoyed with the carefree way Elijah was speaking of this, his voice clearly showed it.

"All ideas are viruses that spread like epidemics... Is the desire to be free a contagious disease?" You squinted at the man in front of you. What was he getting at?

"Listen, we didn't come here to talk philosophy. The machines you created may be planning a revolution." Halfway through Hank's speech Kamski seemed to lose interest and locked his gaze on Connor. "Either you can tell us something that'll be helpful, or we will be on our way."

Connor stared right back at Kamski. "What about you, Connor?" The man took a few steps forward so he could be right in front of Connor. "Whose side are you on?" Connor had this stone cold look, not letting anything show.

"I'm on the humans' side, of course." He replied.

Kamski scoffed, shaking his head. "Well, that's what you're programmed to say... but you..." You and Hank watched, you getting even more uncomfortable with the way Elijah got in Connor's face. "What do you really want?"

Connor finally broke, quickly glancing away before locking eyes again. "What I want is not important." He shook his head slightly, sounding almost sad.

Kamski smiled, looking over to his android. "Chloe?" He motioned her to come towards them. The pale girl walked briskly over. "I'm sure you've heard of the Turing test. Mere formality, simple question of algorithms and computing capacity." Kamski grabbed 'Chloe' by her shoulders, standing her only a few feet in front of Connor. "What interests me is whether machines are capable of empathy." The man smirked and glanced at you and Hank. "I call it 'the Kamski Test', it's very simple, you'll see..."

Kamski turned to Chloe, staring at her for a moment. "Magnificent, isn't it?" He stepped towards her. "One of the first intelligent models developed by CyberLife." He brought his hand up to her face, and turned it to look at him. "Young, and beautiful forever." You bit the tip of your tongue, wanting to jump in the pool to get away from this. "A flower that will never wither..." he dragged his finger across her jaw. "...But what is it really?" He abruptly turned towards the three of you again, shrugging his shoulders. "Piece Of plastic imitating a human?" Kamski turned away and leaned over to open a drawer. You and Hank were obscured, unable to see what he was getting. "Or a living being... with a soul."

He turned around with his hands in the air, his right holding a pistol. Your fingers itched to reach for your gun. Kamski pushed Chloe to her knees and walked forward to shove the gun into Connor's hand. "It's up to you to answer that fascinating question, Connor." Kamski brought Connor's hand up, aiming it right towards Chloe's head. "Destroy this machine and I'll tell you everything I know. Or spare it... if you feel it's alive, but you'll leave here having learnt anything from me." You were shocked, only to be pissed a few moments later.

"Okay, that's enough. We're done here." You took a step towards Connor, "Come on, Connor, let's go." reaching for the gun.

"STOP." Kamski all but demanded, bringing his hand up in front of you. Blocking you from reaching Connor. "What's more important to you, Connor? Your investigation, or the life of this android?" You glanced up at Connor's face, not seeing any reaction. Connor's LED flickered yellow, he quickly glanced up at Kamski. "Decide who you are." Kamski walked behind Connor. "An obedient machine... Or a living being, endowed with free will..."

"That's enough!" You jumped at Hank's aggressive tone. "Connor we're leaving."

"Pull the trigger." Kamski encouraged, placing his hand on Connor's shoulder.

"Connor!" You gritted, glaring at Kamski.

"And I'll tell you what you want to know." Kamski's voice set your hair's on end. But there was no hesitation, Connor shoved the gun into Kamski's chest. Looking away from him to stare coldly at that ground."Fascinating... CyberLife's last chance to saving humanity... is itself a deviant..."

Connor shook his head "I'm..." he hesitated. "I'm not deviant..." you knew otherwise.

"You preferred to spare a machine rather than accomplish your mission." Kamski said, helping Chloe to her feet. "You saw a living being in this android." He smiled up at Connor, in a smug kind of way. "You showed empathy." There was a moment of silence before Kamski pushed Chloe to get her to walk off. "A war is coming... you'll have to choose your side... Will you betray your own people or stand up to your creators?" Elijah tilted his head. "What can be worse than having to choose between two evils?"

Hank slid himself between Kamski and Connor, pulling Connor away from the other man. "Let's get out of here..." They walked away quickly, you jogging to follow them.

Just before you were out of the room Kamski shouted. "By the way, Connor!" Connor stopped, causing you to bump into him. You looked back at Kamski, glaring daggers into the back of his head. "I always leave an emergency exit in my programs... you never know..."

You furrowed your brow and gently gripped the back of Connor's arm, pushing him out of the room.

-

"Why didn't you shoot?" The question broke the long lasting silence that had been held between the three of you. Connor started to shake his head, looking back at Hank. The old man noticed the sudden conflict in Connor.

"I just saw that girl's eyes... and I couldn't." He said, waving his hands in the air. "That's all..." He looked away. You stepped forward and grabbed his arm, trying to reassure him.

"You're always saying you would do anything to accomplish your mission. That was our chance to learn something, and you let it go..." You turned to Hank, giving him a questioning look.

Connor whipped back around "Yeah, I know what I should've done!" He yelled, making you jump. "I told you I couldn't." He took a few steps forward pushing you along with him. "I'm sorry, okay." You could hear just how distraught he was by the tone of his voice. How confused he sounded.

Hank smiled, puffing out some air. "Maybe you did the right thing." He walked off towards the car, Connor turning to watch him leave.

He dragged his worried gaze to you, looking for answers. "You did the right thing, not shooting her." You squeezed his arm. "She didn't deserve to be shot and you knew that. Nobodies mad at you." You smiled up at him and walked off. Wanting to get as far away from that house as possible.

-

Right when the three of you got into the car, Connor had gone into stasis mode. Leaving you and Hank to talk.

"What are we going to do?" You asked.

Hank gripped the steering wheel, glancing into the rearview mirror. "I don't know."

Ever since Connor had mentioned it, you had been a bit worried about him being taken back to CyberLife. After everything... you couldn't imagine what that would do to you. You looked away from your hands, resting your worried eyes on Hank. "We have to figure out something."

Hank glanced over at you, sighing. "You of all people. You're really tryin' to force me to like him aren't you." Hank shook his head, hating how sad you looked. "I have no idea if there is anything we can do. To be completely honest with you, (Y/N)..." he sighed again. "That was our last big plan." You frowned and stared out of the car window. "As much as I don't want to admit it, Kamski was right. This is going to be a war, something much bigger than the two of us."

You nod. "I understand." You wrapped your hands together. "I just wish this entire thing didn't escalate so quickly, we'd have more time."

"Things haven't blown up yet. We still have time." Hank said, patting your shoulder. "I'm sure your boyfriend will be fine."

You rolled your eyes and shook your head. "He better be." You played along, not having the energy to deny anything.

-

Connor immediately registered the low temperatures within the garden. Snow had been falling steadily, leaving a thick white blanket all over the serene garden. His feet made audible crunching sounds as they flattened the freshly fallen snow. He was hesitant to cross over the bridge, knowing he had failed his last mission. He hadn't consulted or spoke to Amanda since he had come to terms with his... feelings towards you.

He stepped onto the bridge, spotting Amanda standing in the middle of the now frozen lake. She stared straight at him. A cold look on her face. Connor slowed slightly, wishing nothing more than to be anywhere else. He stopped right in front of her, glancing down at the ground when it made a small cracking sound.

"After what happened today, the country is on the verge of a civil war. The machines are rising up against their masters. Humans have no choice but to destroy them." Amanda said, her voice unforgiving.

"I thought Kamski knew something... I was wrong." Amanda didn't accept his explanation, her frown deepening when she started to speak.

"Maybe he did... But you chose not to ask..."

"I chose not to play his twisted little game. There was no reason to kill that android." Connor snapped. Amanda only stared, her frown never letting up. Connor found it hard to care. "I saw a picture of Amanda at Kamski's place. She was his teacher."

"When Kamski designed me he wanted an interface that would look familiar... That's why he chose his former mentor. What are you getting at?" She sounded agitated, more so than she had already been.

Connor chose to keep prodding "Where does CyberLife stand in all of this, what do they really want?." He needed to know, he wasn't sure why but... he just needed to.

"All CyberLife wants is to resolve the situation and keep selling androids." the way she said it was off, it almost sounded programmed. He knew she was hiding something.

"You didn't tell me everything you know about deviants, did you?" He accused her, feeling anger settle in his biocomponents.

"I expect you to find answers, Connor. Not ask questions." She said, not giving him enough time to continue asking questions before she continued speaking. "You're the only one who can prevent civil war. Find the deviants or there will be chaos. This is your last chance, Connor. Don't let anyone get in your way." His eyes shut on their own, ending his stasis mode.

-

Connor's eyes fluttered open, his audio processor began to process the music playing in the car. 'When I'm Sixty-four' was the song, and it sounded pleasant. Your humming caught his attention once he noticed it. He smiled and gazed at the back of your head, you had yet to notice him. Connor hadn't noticed that Hank wasn't in the car or that they were parked at a gas station. All he could focus on was you.

When the song came to an end was when he spoke. "Did your father like every Beatles song?" You jumped, whipping your eyes to Connor.

"How long have you been up?" You asked, not answering his question. A small blush covered your cheeks.

"Not long, did he?"

You stared at him for a second before shaking your head. "Well no... not all of them. Some of them were just too strange for him." You replied, looking forward again and turning the volume of the radio down. "The Beatles aren't the only music he listened to though. Him and my mom... they liked a lot of music." You frowned, biting the inside of your cheek. "The Beatles are the only musicians I can still listen to without feeling like..." you trialed off.

"Will you name a few that your parents listened to?" Connor was interested, wanting to know more about your parents.

A sad smile formed on your lips "My dad used to sing to my mom. When they first met he apparently would always sing 'You got lucky'." A small sigh came from you. "I have a list I could show you later, after all this."

"After?"

Your blush came back, now spreading to your ears. "Yes, after." You repeated, finally daring to meet his eyes. The only sound in the car was 'Mother nature's son' playing in the car. You wanted to ask him if we wanted an after, but when your lips parted Hank chose that moment to get back into the car.

You both turned to him. "I got you a snack." He threw you a small bag, smacking you in the face. The moment was ruined and you glared at your partner as he laughed.

"Thank you, you overgrown toddler." You said, grabbing the bag and opening it. "Are we ready to go?"

Hank nods, his mouth full of chips. "Yeah." He shifted the car and drove off towards the precinct. It was silent between the three of you. The music being the only thing filling the silence.

It was so peaceful that when your phone started ringing you practically jumped ten feet in your seat. You checked the caller ID, immediately answering it. "Hello Captain Fowler, how can I help you." Hank smiled at your obnoxious tone of voice, knowing quite well how much that would annoy Jeffrey.

You had a smile on your face too, that is until the Captain started to speak. "Please, (Y/N), address me professionally." You mumbled a quiet sorry. "I need you and Hank to report to my office when you get here, immediately." He stressed the last word, sounding urgent.

"May I ask why, sir?"

"I'll inform you when you arrive." He replied, getting an eye roll from you. "How long do you expect it to be, before you get here?"

"Not long, sir. About five to ten minutes." Hank had a curious look glancing your way, a silent question. You held up a finger in a 'just a moment' gesture.

"Alright, I'll see you all then." He hung up before you could say goodbye. With how long you've known him, you had expected working with him to be less professional, you were sadly mistaken.

"What's up?" Hank asked when you didn't speak the first second you hung up.

"Fowler wants to see us right when we get to the station. Maybe to yell at me some more for not getting Connor's LED fixed yet." You shoved your phone back into your pocket.

"I'm fine with it being broken." The android spoke up from the back.

"I know. It's the Captain that's not okay with it." You looked over your shoulder at him. "You can keep it, he won't fire me for it." He smiled slightly, reaching up and running his finger over the crack.

"He'll just yell." Hank said in a flat tone.

You looked forward again. "Probably."

-

"Good to see you two." Fowler said, setting his pen down on the table and getting up to walk around his desk. When he leaned on his desk was when he said. "Where have the two of you been? You plan on coming into the office at all today?" He definitely had a stick up his ass.

"Cool It, Jeffrey. We were questioning Elijah Kamski, we planned on comin' in." Hank said, not having Fowler's attitude.

"God, Hank, you watch it." Fowler pinched the bridge of his nose. "Just, both of you sit the fuck down." He shook his head. Both you and Hank sat down, glancing to one another.

"Can we know why we're here now?" You asked, getting a very annoyed look from your friend. "Sorry." You lowered yourself in your seat.

Fowler sighed. "You're off the case."

"What?!" Hank shouted, sitting up in his seat. You frowned, pushing up off the seat.

"What do you mean?!" You stammered. "You can't do that, we're so close!"

"We just need more time." Hank stood as well. "You can't Jeffrey."

"I have no choice in this. So, please take a seat and stop yelling at your goddamn boss." The two of you did take a seat.

"Why ar-" Fowler held up his head. Effectively getting you to shut up.

"The FBI is taking over."

"But we were onto something Fowler! You can't do this." You said, standing again. Hank stood as well.

"You two don't get it." Fowler motioned with his hands. "This isn't just another investigation, it's a fucking Civil War. It's out of our hands now... we're talking about national security here."

"Fuck that! You can't just pull the plug now. Not when we're so close." You felt sick.

"You're always saying you can't stand androids! Jesus, Hank, make up your mind." Hank shifted his jaw, shaking his head. "I thought you'd be happy about this!" Fowler sounded genuine, it made you frown.

"We don't get a say at all?" You asked, getting a sympathetic look from Fowler.

"No." He said.

"But we're about to crack the case!... I know we can solve it! For god sake, Jeffrey, can't you back me up this one time?" Hank did want to solve this case. As much as he didn't want to admit it Connor had grown on him.

Fowler sighed, glancing to the ground and shaking his head. "There's nothing I can do." He gave you and Hank an apologetic look. "The two of you are back on homicide, and the android returns to CyberLife." You felt like throwing up again, a knot forming in your throat. Connor, who had stayed silent the entire time, furrowed his brow slightly, another uneasy feeling settling in his system. "I'm sorry, but it's over."

Hank quickly walked out of the room, You hesitating for a second. The sick feeling getting worse as you realized once you left, so would Connor. Your legs seemed to carry you to your desk. Connor watched you leave, looking to Fowler and uncrossing his arms from behind his back. Hesitating as well before walking out after you.

You rushed to your desk, a wave of nausea rolling over you. You sat down and looked over at Hank. He frowned over at you, not helping you feel better.

Connor walked up and leaned on the end of Hank's desk. He too seemed frustrated. "We can't just give up like this!..." he looked over at you. "I know we could have solved this case." Your frown deepened, and you looked away. Biting the inside of your cheek.

"So you're going back to CyberLife?" Hank asked.

Connor glanced to the ground "I have no choice..." he shook his head "I'll be deactivated and analyzed to find out why I failed..." you glanced up at the picture of your parents, dreading the painful truth.

"What if we're on the wrong side, Connor?" Hank said, leaning forward a little in his chair. "What if we're fighting against people who just want to be free?..."

Connor leaned forward, an all too serious look on his face. "There is going to be a Civil War. We could've stopped it!..." he sighed "But now it's too late."

"Connor" The android looked over to you, feeling relief when his eyes met yours. "When You didn't shoot that android at Kamski's place... you showed empathy." You shook your head "You've shown signs of numerous human emotions... what do you think that means"

He furrowed his brow, knowing exactly what you were trying to say. "I know... I don't know why I've done anything. It's all very confusing." Silence fell over the three of you again, for a quick moment you wished it stayed like this. That Connor didn't have to leave. "I'm not programmed to say things like this, but... I really appreciated working with the two of you." He looked over to Hank. "I think with a little more time, Hank, who knows... we might've even become friends..."

Your gaze locked with his, the two of you looking at each other with broken expressions. "Well, well, here comes Perkins, that motherfucker... Sure don't waste time with the FBI..." Hank said. You quickly brought your gaze to the dipshit himself. Just seeing him made you angry.

Connor shook his head and looked away from Perkins. "We can't give up... I know the answer is in the evidence we collected... if Perkins takes it, it's all over." Connor seemed so determined to figure this out.

"There's no choice! You heard Fowler, we're off the case." Hank stated the obvious.

Connor pushed off the desk, waving his hands out in front of himself. "I need help, please. (Y/N), Hank you have to help me. I need more time so I can find a lead in the evidence we collected. I know the solution is in there!" He looked over at you, clearly begging.

You and your partner looked at one another, you looked away first. "Connor..."

"(Y/N), if I don't solve this case, CyberLife will destroy me!" He furrowed his brow and suddenly your job didn't seem so important. "Please, I just need five minutes."

Hank sighed and glanced over at Perkins at the other side of the room. He shook his head, clearly going to do something stupid. He stood up and motioned you to stand up as well. The three of you leaned in close as Hank whispered. He pointed to you. "You have the key to the basement. Figure this out, Connor." He walked away, pausing when the two of you didn't move. "Get a move on! I can't distract them forever."

You quickly pulled out your basement key and went to hand it to Connor. "Here, you can-" he grabbed your wrist.

"Come with me. We can figure this out quicker if we go together." Connor squeezed your wrist, his skin retracting and glowing against your wrist.

"Perkins!" You jumped, Connor letting go of your wrist as you did so. "You fucking cocksucker."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 319 17
Story-driven insert of the reader into Connor's storyline. Chapters are long, that's why there are not many. Slow burn romance - no smut. Quick Backg...
1.7M 56.2K 105
"Miss (L/n), you and Anderson have been assigned with an android from Cyberlife for these cases." "Really? Well...alright. When will he or she arrive...
4.8K 150 11
Detective (y/n) (l/n) was recently assigned to investigate deviant cases with lieutenant Anderson. But things get interesting when an android, sent b...
24.7K 929 24
(Y/N) is a 22 year old woman who firmly believes in the concept of justice - if you commit a crime, you will have to pay for your mistakes. She was o...