Wolf at Heart

By Whisper486

. : Book One : . Melody is a member of one of the five tribes of animal shapeshifters who live beyond the hum... More

Notice
Prologue
Chapter One: The Ceremony
Chapter Two: First Encounter
Chapter Three: Friendly Fire
Chapter Four: Sea Serpent Scandal
Chapter Five: Remembering Them
Chapter Six: Fight in the Forest
Chapter Seven: Bandit Trouble
Chapter Eight: The Message
Chapter Nine: Silent Escape
Chapter Ten: The Lupine Camp
Chapter Eleven: Midnight Feast
Chapter Twelve: A Hunter's Advice
Chapter Thirteen: Left or Right
Chapter Fourteen: The Instructors
Chapter Fifteen: Stable Life
Chapter Sixteen: Training
Chapter Seventeen: His Perspective
Chapter Eighteen: Into the Woods
Chapter Nineteen: Surprise Attack
Chapter Twenty: The Hunters
Chapter Twenty One: The Predators
Chapter Twenty Two: Meeting Him
Chapter Twenty Three: Wolf and Raven
Chapter Twenty Four: Visions
Chapter Twenty Five: Yes or No
Chapter Twenty Seven: Welcome Home
Chapter Twenty Eight: Problems
Chapter Twenty Nine: Sun's Chosen
Chapter Thirty: His Memories
Chapter Thirty One: Discussion
Chapter Thirty Two: Flashback
Chapter Thirty Three: Aftermath
Chapter Thirty Four: Confusing Feelings
Chapter Thirty Five: To Think
Chapter Thirty Six: Plans
Chapter Thirty Seven: Sharing
Chapter Thirty Eight: Captivated
Chapter Thirty Nine: Wrong Captive
Chapter Forty: Stolen Property
Chapter Forty One: Last Warning
Chapter Forty Two: Another Perspective
Chapter Forty Three: The Raven's Claw
Chapter Forty Four: Dominance Game
Chapter Forty Five: Alpha's Command
Chapter Forty Six: Bandages
Chapter Forty Seven: Tomorrow Night
Chapter Forty Eight: The Deal
Chapter Forty Nine: Scars
Chapter Fifty: His Worries
Chapter Fifty One: Tight Boundaries
Chapter Fifty Two: Mistakes Made
Chapter Fifty Three: Double Crossed
Chapter Fifty Four: Unexpected Help
Chapter Fifty Five: A Mysterious Man
Announcement
Chapter Fifty Six: Awoken
Chapter Fifty Seven: Training Begins
Chapter Fifty Eight: Unspoken Promises
Chapter Fifty Nine: Hidden Waterfall
Chapter Sixty: Heated Moments
Chapter Sixty One: The Festival
Chapter Sixty Two: Secrets Revealed
Chapter Sixty Three: A Day Off
Chapter Sixty Four: Risky Assessment
Chapter Sixty Five: Icy Barriers
Chapter Sixty Six: Earthen Explosion
Chapter Sixty Seven: Lost Relations
Chapter Sixty Eight: Final Oblivion
Epilogue
Afterword
Notice

Chapter Twenty Six: Paranoid

25 6 9
By Whisper486

Early Update ;)

Ash, Dakota, and I traveled in silence through the bleak snowy forest.

We'd come to a swift decision after Alpha Micha had hesitantly come up to our mismatched group.

Brooke and Jerry would stay behind to help sort out the camp and its now terrified residents. Alpha Micha would have to finally step up to his role as leader and guide the Lupine into hiding. Though it was unlikely the Predators would strike again, no one was willing to take any chances. After a few goodbyes to my remaining friends and a hug from Carter, we had left.

Dakota had insisted on coming with Ash and me, saying that he'd be more useful with us. Plus the Predators were still hunting us so added protection would help.

Truthfully, I thought that Dakota just didn't want Ash and I out of his sight. But neither of them needed to know that I knew.

And I'd like to keep it that way.

Dakota and I loped under the trees, relying on Ash's distant form to guide us. Ash flew above the frozen forest, cawing every once and a while so we didn't lose him in the clouds.

The farther down we went on the mountainside, the heavier the rain poured. Eventually, everyone was soaked and irritable.

Well, at least Dakota and I were.

Ash had waterproof feathers. Lucky.

We set up our bedrolls under a rock outcrop and Dakota went off to hunt. I still had the herbs from the journey before so I lay them out to dry. Ash got a crackling fire going with some flint and stone.

Rustling in the bushes caught my attention. Still jumpy after the attack, I slowly unsheathed my knives. Ash caught my drift and narrowed his eyes, still appearing relaxed.

The sound soon faded away and I let the tension ease slightly from my shoulders.

"Someone's a little paranoid," Ash spoke lightly.

We both knew that I had a good reason to be.

I shrugged, putting away my knives. "Can't blame me for being."

Ash glanced thoughtfully behind me after a few moments. "There's something over there."

I looked behind my shoulder quickly before turning back, about to say that nothing was there when I saw how close Ash had gotten.

He reached out a hand and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

Suddenly I couldn't breathe and my thoughts turned sluggish. All of my attention was focused on his hand, how it cupped my cheek.

"There we go," he said and withdrew with an insufferable smirk that told me he had tricked me on purpose.

Refusing to let myself be flustered, I waved dismissively at him. "How you manage to be endearing and infuriating at the same time I have no idea."

The corner of his mouth twitched. "All part of the charm."

I was about to respond when Dakota appeared out of the gloom of the night, dragging behind him four pheasants. He looked at both of us suspiciously then settled down. After plucking the feathers off and cleaning them, I took the birds from Dakota and set them above the fire.

Ash took a bite of his pheasant and made a face. "Now I know why you didn't choose to be a cook. If food could kill I'd be dead by now."

Apparently, Dakota shared similar thoughts, but he stayed unusually quiet. Something like disgust flickered over his face before it became neutral again.

I glared at Ash. "Alright, next time you cook and I'll make the fire unless you want to go hungry."

"I think I will," was all he responded.

Taking a bite of my own portion, I realized he was right but still ate. It was better than nothing and I had to keep my strength up. I'd sooner fight a Predator than admit that Ash was right.

Finishing up with what passed as 'dinner,' the three of us lay on our respective bedrolls. No need for tents as of now. The rock shelter would suffice as protection.

The fire slowly died, the burning embers flickering out, one by one. Ash and Dakota were fast asleep, but I lay wide awake. Hours passed by, but my eyes refused to grow heavy. Instead, I counted the constellations in the dark sky.

Finally giving up on sleep, I got up quietly, making sure not to wake the others.

The rain had stopped over the course of the night, and I cautiously ventured out. Scaling the hill above the rock outcrop, I reached the top of the hill. The fresh breeze gently played across my face.

Unbid, my mind flitted back to Adrian's brother. Covering my mouth, I held in a sob building in my chest. Silent tears flowed down, dripping onto my neck and clothes.

My fault.

I should've been faster.

I could've saved him.

Like a whisper, the soft wind dried my tears. A warm jacket slipped over my shoulders. Turning my head, I saw Ash behind me, his expression showing a hint of concern. His arms encircled me, and I rested my cheek on his shirt briefly, enjoying his comforting presence though I had only met him less than a day ago.

"I thought I heard you come up here," Ash sighed, his breath ruffling my hair.

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words would come. Closing my eyes, I said nothing, just held onto Ash's jacket. The only thing we could do right now to help was comfort each other as, maybe not friends just yet, but allies. While our losses stung, we had a single goal: to see the Predators gone from this earth.

His embrace tightened, and he murmured, "I know. I know it hurts. It still does."

Blinking open my eyes, I stared at the moon's waning form. The one who was responsible for all of this. But now I found strength in its bright, distant form.

I took in a deep breath, steadying myself. Ash didn't react, and I looked up at his stormy gray eyes. He was taking in the lay of the land, eyes flickering from one point to another. Ash's gaze met mine and I quickly looked away. I felt my face grow warm and expected him to comment, but he stayed silent.

Eventually, he led me down the hill without a word. I nodded my thanks to him, trying for a smile but faltering.

Ash jerked his thumb behind me, indicating that he was going for a flight. After confirming that I understood, he shifted, taking off.

I watched him for a bit, then lay back down, finding myself weary. Cushioning my head in my arms, I fell into a dreamless sleep.

"Melody, wake up. We have to get going."

Dakota's stern voice reached me and I rubbed my eyes. Propping myself up, I yawned.

Looks like I overslept. Shoot.

Quickly packing my items, Ash handed me my breakfast, his face not indicating that last night had ever occurred.

Eating on the run, Ash briefed us while we traveled, flying dangerously near the ground for our benefit.

"The first place is the Feline's camp. If we really push it, we can make it just before the new moon. According to the texts, the Feline represent fire. Predictions in the scrolls say that the sun's choice is almost always a female. She comes from a specific family of Feline. The same one each time actually. It won't be too hard to find her then. The family name is Leonari and they only have two heirs. They're twin sisters, so that complicates things a bit. We'll scout out and try to get the Chosen to come before the Predators strike again."

The overload of information shocked me. Leonari, no...it couldn't be. It couldn't possibly be her. She'd left me alone in this world...anyone but her.

Not the one who tried to kill me.

While I was still trying to process this, Dakota expressed his skepticism."How did you find out about all of this? What are you, a stalker?"

Ash's exasperated reply shot back, "No, I'm not that low. You'd be surprised how easy it is to find lists on this in your library and my scrolls. I had a lot of time to kill. I always research this stuff in my spare time."

Dakota rolled his eyes. "So you're a bookworm on top of being a stalker. Okay then, not exactly any weirder than this whole thing is already."

An annoyed caw was all that Dakota got in reply. Ash beat his wings, rising once more above the forest. He gave Dakota a look before flying ahead.

All that I got out of that conversation was that increasingly more difficult challenges were coming our way. I was going back to face my parent's wrath. I had to save my brothers' lives or souls by the time the Predators attacked again. And the next of the five happened to be the very one who stabbed me in the back.

Figuratively, of course. Or maybe not.

No worries, I would deal with this.

We kept the hard pace up, occasionally taking a break for a couple of minutes before hitting the road again. Ash insisted on diving us on, even though we could both see how tired he was getting. Dakota was slightly lagging behind me as well. I stayed on course, but my stamina was running out.

The journey to the Feline camp was rather uneventful until we met the most unlikely person on the final day of travel.

(Side Note: Kind of a filler chapter, sorry. But hey, no worries, cause I'm still updating tomorrow! And just a question, who do you want me to draw/sketch beside Ash, cause I already drew him? I can't guarantee that the pic will be up by, say, tomorrow, but I'll try.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 4.9K 25
'Book 1 in the Shifter series' My name is Celina Birch and until yesterday me, and my siblings; Sydney and Alexander but Alex for short, thought we w...
55.2K 4.2K 47
Finding out that your parents, the people that raised you your whole life, weren't your actual parents was hard. Being told at the ripe ol' age of e...
3K 131 23
I look as she yells at my beta for making her friend mad, and I can't help but think about her. She is always going to be my world, no matter what. W...
33.4K 1.4K 49
He came into my world like a hurricane, unpredictable, dangerous and out of control, destroying everything I had built in his wake. There would be no...