Only A Boy

By Musebunny

Merlin had fulfilled his destiny. Albion was alive and beautiful, and magic was no longer feared in the land... More

The Summoning
An Added Name
The Acceptance Letter
Slippery Floors
Happy Birthday
What Was Lost
A Wand Fit for Merlin
A Spark of Propriety
Leaving Wool's Orphanage
Thoughts Hidden From View
The Prejudice of a Father
The Art of Apologizing
Collapsing Bookcases
She's my friend
The Red of Dusk
The Letter From Silas
Samhain
Thought You Ought To Know
Don't Do Anything Stupid
Christmas
Norberta
Unicorn Blood
Long Way Down
Checkmate
Only A Boy

The Hogwarts Express

5.1K 315 188
By Musebunny

"Merlin?"

Someone poked his face and within a heartbeat he was awake. He couldn't help it, not after living for so long as a servant of Arthur and all the times he had needed to be on his guard. His first instinct was to reach down and grab the wand he had strapped against his leg, but he didn't. He had recognized the voice that had spoken.

"What, Silas?" he groaned, rolling over and pulling his blankets tighter. He had never slept in a bed this comfortable in his life. It was as though it were made out of feathers.

"What do you think of them? Of Mr.—er, Popeye and Granny Audrey?" He swallowed. Merlin had a feeling that the kid felt strange calling the elderly couple something so familial.

Merlin sighed and sat up. The silver chain around his neck clinked as he moved, the cool of his ring against his chest a comfort. The orange light from the street lamps filtered through the window, casting shadows onto Silas's face. His room was just across the hall, but Merlin wasn't at all surprised by his midnight visit. Hell, he wouldn't be surprised if the kid camped out on his floor for the next two days, trying to be with him as much as possible before he had to leave for Hogwarts.

He hoped Silas would manage all right without him.

"Um..." Merlin rubbed his eyes, buying himself time to think more than anything else. "I think they're really nice." A lot nicer than anyone in Camelot, in any case.

"Yeah. Hey, did you know that Granny Audrey asked me if I wanted warm milk before bed?" He looked thoroughly bewildered. "And then she asked if I wanted a bedtime story!"

"Well, did you?"

Silas started to squirm. "Hey – she offered, okay?!"

Merlin laughed and then clamped a hand over his mouth, glancing toward his door. In a quieter tone he said, sniggering, "You got tucked in."

Silas frowned. "And what, you didn't?"

"Er..."

"You did!" Silas punched his shoulder, now giggling. "I bet Granny Audrey even gave you a kiss goodnight on the forehead!"

"What? She did not!" Merlin said, trying to sound offended as he reached behind him and grabbed hold of the corner of his pillow.

"Oh, she totally did!"

Merlin laughed and smacked Silas in the face with his pillow. The kid sat there stunned for a second before grinning broadly and tackling him right off the bed with a loud crash and a squeal of laughter.

"Merlin, is everything—"

Not a minute later, Mr. Haddock or rather, Popeye opened the door and peaked his head inside. Upon seeing the two boys, fighting over a pillow on the floor however, his sentence gave way into low chuckles.

"C'mon lads, the Mrs. is already in bed. There'll be plenty of time for horseplay in the morning."

"Right, sorry—" Merlin started to say but Popeye shook his head.

"First night in a new home, it'd be strange if you didn't stay up talking." He paused a moment, surveying Silas. "If you want, I can put a mattress on the floor. I know Merlin's leaving in a short bit."

"R-really?" Silas glanced quickly at Merlin and the warlock saw the smallest sign of panic at the mention of his leaving.

"Sure. Just keep it down some, all right? Elderly folks like to sleep a bit earlier than others."

And, fifteen minutes later, Silas had his own makeshift bed on the floor. They didn't stay up much longer after Popeye left. They still hadn't fully recovered from the previous night, despite the various brief naps they'd taken. After a few mumbled words, Silas fell asleep. Merlin sighed and tried to get comfortable again, willing to bet all he owned that Silas had been too anxious to sleep alone.

He really hoped the kid would be okay without him.

Merlin wished he could use a spell to slow down time, because for some reason it had decided to zoom by as fast as it could.

The following morning, Granny Audrey had awoken them for a breakfast of pancakes and then had taken them both out shopping. According to her, they were both in dire need of new clothing. Merlin managed to convince her that he didn't need much since his school had uniforms, but Silas wasn't so lucky. Afterwards, she dragged them both to a toy store and asked them to pick one thing each, a sort of welcome home present.

Needless to say, both boys felt awkward.

"No, really, I don't need anything," Merlin tried to say.

"Oh come now, it's fine. Anything you want," Granny Audrey said and she gave him a pat on the head. "I don't expect you've had many toys."

"Yeah, but—" Silas said chewing on his bottom lip. Merlin caught him glancing toward the Star Wars Lego set. "We haven't gotten our allowance yet."

"Oh please, that's Popeye's idea. I personally don't see the purpose of an allowance until you're at least thirteen but," she sighed. "Go on. I gave away all my children's old toys to charity a few years ago. We've got nothing but board games, and I wasn't sure whether to get boy or girl toys. You know we didn't know whom we were going to get. Took them forever to approve our application."

Merlin nudged Silas and gave him a meaningful look. They were not getting out of this toy store without buying something and honestly, what kid didn't want a new toy? Granny Audrey gave them a little push and they went off to explore the shelves. Silas made a beeline for the Legos.

"You know my brother used to have some of these," he muttered to Merlin in an undertone. "I don't remember much, but I remember he used to build these really awesome ships and then play with them. He used to tell me stories with them too."

Merlin shifted, unsure of what to say. "How old were you?" he finally asked.

"I dunno. Maybe six or seven?"

"How did he d—"

"Anyway, I want one of these." He picked out a box with an Empire Fighter Ship on the cover. He gave Merlin a smile, but it didn't completely reach his eyes. How had Silas ended up an orphan? What had happened to his family? But at the same time, he knew Silas had every right to keep his history to himself.

He did, after all.

"So, what do you want?"

"I don't actually know." Merlin had never seen toys like these before. In Camelot a wooden carving of a dragon had been his idea of a toy. Here there were balls, fancy dolls, small cars, stuffed animals, and a bunch of other stuff he wasn't sure about. "What is that?" he asked, pointing toward a bunch of egg shaped things with the words Silly Putty on them.

"Oh! That's like this soft non-sticky gum stuff that you can make into different shapes." The real smile was returning. "Come on, I'll show you some stuff you might like."

There were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Cabbage Patch Dolls, Transformers and playing cards. Merlin honestly would rather have a book than any toy – he remembering being an adult, after all. But, that wasn't exactly an option – any books in the store were obviously for much younger children. Eventually, he found a small handheld maze where one had to get a small metal ball to the end. As they stood at the counter, waiting for their turn an outburst behind them made Silas and Merlin turn around.

"But I need it! My last one b-broke!"

An enormous boy with a mop of blond hair and small watery blue eyes was wailing to his mother in a loud shrill sound that filled the store. A thin horse faced woman immediately crooned and took something down from the shelf.

"Oh, don't you cry, Duddy-kins, Mummy's going to buy you a new Gameboy and a few games. Will that be all right?"

Merlin wanted to hurl.

"Now boys," Granny Audrey said in an undertone. Her face had darkened. It was the first time Merlin had seen her look so serious. "I don't think I have to tell you that, that behavior is not okay. If you want something, you ask for it politely and if I say no, it's for a good reason."

"Trust me, Granny," Silas said turning to her. "I don't think that'll be a problem."

They dashed to the car after paying as the boy had started demanding a computer game as well. Merlin hadn't like the way the boy had glanced at them either, the way his little eyes were laughing even though he was crying for toys. The way he had looked at the two of them as though they were just some toys and he would have fun playing with them later. Merlin had seen that look before.

"Hey, Silas?" he said after a moment. Granny Audrey was driving them back to the house. "Can you promise me something?"

"What?"

"If you run into that kid again, just turn around and walk in the opposite direction. I think it'd be better if we didn't get tangled up with him."

Silas gave him a very strange look but nodded. "Sure, I guess."

But just like that, what was morning was now evening. And then in the blink of an eye, it was the evening of Merlin's last day. It was more painful than he wanted to admit. He could see the look in Silas' eyes when he looked at him, this almost pitiful expression that told him exactly how much he would miss him.

"Popeye, would you mind if we went for a walk around the neighborhood?" Merlin asked. Silas glanced curiously at him, but jumped on board without a moment's hesitation.

"Yeah, we won't go far."

Popeye gave them both a steady look before nodding. "All right. There's a park at the end of the street, actually. Just be back in time for dinner."

"Will do!" Merlin called out and he was out the door, Silas on his heels.

"So?" Silas asked after they had been walking for a few moments. He had stuck his hands into the pockets of his new jeans, which were clean and undamaged. He looked almost strange after wearing only ripped trousers for so long.

"It's my last day." He swallowed. "I wanted to see the neighborhood before I left."

"Oh." Silas was quiet for a long moment. "Right."

Merlin glanced at him, his heart twisting in his chest as the boy beside him stared fixedly at his sneakers. They didn't speak to each other again until they had reached the park. It was rather small, and the age showed despite of the good condition it was kept in. They headed for the sing set and sat down, the steel pipes creaking as they moved.

"I have no siblings," Merlin said after a moment. Silas looked at him. "My mom raised me on her own. My dad left when I was little in order to keep us safe – there had been some people who knew he had magic, and we weren't living in a magic-friendly place. I didn't even know that until later. But, then my mom thought it'd be safer if I lived with her brother. So, to try and protect me I went to stay with Gaius."

"Why are you telling me this?" Silas asked blankly, now staring at Merlin.

Merlin took a deep breath. "Because we're brothers, and I want you to know about my family." He gave a very sad smile. "And because I want you to know that it's okay to tell me about yours too."

Silas turned his head very quickly, looking at his feet swinging in the air a few inches off the ground. Merlin watched him for a moment before looking straight ahead.

"You don't have to say anything. Not if you don't want to. But," Merlin bit his lip, "just know that whenever you do, I'm here for you."

Merlin stepped off the swing, straightening up. The sun was starting to set. He knew they would have to head back to their new home soon.

"I don't know what happened to my brother."

Merlin turned around. Silas got to his feet as well, and when he looked up into Merlin's face his expression was fixed, a solemn grimace. Silas shook his head, his jaw tight. He clenched his fist, and then turned around, hiding his face.

"I don't remember my parents. My mom died when I was just a baby and my father went after her a few years later. My brother raised me, but then one day he disappeared. He just didn't come back, and I lived on the streets looking for him for nearly a year before I got to Wool's."

"Silas, I—"

"I know he's probably dead. And if he isn't then that's even worse." His shoulders had started to shake, his voice cracking. "So, you have to promise to come back. Because I-I can't—I can't lose—"

Merlin gave him a tight hug. "I'll write you every week. You're not going to lose me."

Silas didn't reply. He sniffled loudly and Merlin let him out of the hug. He turned around, hazel eyes watery and bright. "Okay." He wiped his nose on his sleeve. "Okay," he said again.

"I'll be back before you know it," Merlin told him, smiling. "And the Haddock's are good people, you'll be okay."

"Yeah." Silas smiled and then glanced around. "We should probably head back. Dinner will be soon."

"Right. Let's go."

"You sure you don't need to bring anything else?"

Granny Audrey was eyeing Merlin's small bag with doubt, her frown adding lines to her already wizened face. Merlin nodded and slung the backpack over his shoulder. Inside he had stuffed the toy she had bought him, all his scarfs and some clothes. He didn't really need much as he would have to wear his wizard robes most of the time anyway.

"I'm sure. My materials are already at school." Snape had decided to keep possession of his stuff, to prevent any sort of breach in the statute of secrecy. He was very aware of the wand he had strapped to his leg. He hadn't taken it off except to shower since the moment Snape had given it to him. And, with his ring securely around his neck, he was ready to go. "Really, I have everything."

"All right." Granny Audrey still seemed to have misgivings but she opened the door to the truck all the same. "Well, let's go then. Don't want you to be late. I don't know how you would get to school then. Do you know where it is, even?"

"Uh—"

"Audrey, stop pestering him." Popeye gave her a look. "Ms Martha all ready told us everything she knew."

"Well," Granny Audrey huffed slightly. "When you do get to school, make sure to mail us. Or give us a ring, you have the number I gave you?"

"Uh, yes. I do."

Merlin highly doubted there would be any telephones at Hogwarts, but he didn't tell her that. He merely smiled and squeezed into the truck with Silas and off they drove. It was really lucky, how small he and Silas were. It was cramped now, and he didn't even want to think about what it would have been like were he his normal size.

They got to the station with ten minutes to spare, but there was no spot for them to park. Plus, and of this Merlin was pretty positive, they wouldn't take his walking straight into a barrier very well. "Just drop me off here, Granny, I can go in by myself."

"What? Honey, I'm not sure I—"

"I don't feel so good." Silas leaned over, putting his head between his knees. He turned his head toward Merlin and winked. They had talked about this the night before.

"Silas?!" Granny Audrey now turned her attention to the small boy beside her. "Are you all right?"

"Silas, are you okay? Can you walk?" Merlin asked, feinting concern.

Silas shook his head, clamping his mouth shut.

"Merlin, you sure you can find the right train by yourself?" Popeye asked. He looked worried, his brows bunching together. Merlin nodded.

"Yeah, I'm sure. I have a ticket. Will Silas be—?"

"You're going to be late! He'll be fine, just go."

"Bye, Silas!" he said and he gave him a tight, but brief hug.

"See you, Merlin." Silas looked up at him. His eyes were shiny with unshed tears, but he was doing a good job of keeping himself under control.

"Merlin—"

"Thanks for everything!" Merlin said to the Haddocks. "Take care of him, please," he said his voice thick and then he jumped out of the car and ran inside the station. He swallowed the lump in his throat and made his way through the crowd. Everything would be okay. He could not let himself cry – he was the adult. Silas would be just fine, and he would send him loads of letters. This wasn't Camelot. The post here was much better.

When he reached the platforms, he stopped and caught his breath. He glanced at the clock and relaxed. He still had upwards of seven minutes to get onto the train, and the platform was right there. He took out his ticket. Platform nine-and-three-quarters. Snape had told him to walk at the barrier between nine and ten.

He felt it before he saw it.

There was a tug of magic, a pull that led him toward the block of bricks. It was emanating not from the stone itself, but from a point beyond it. He blinked and cocked his head, noting the odd shimmer that the pillar gave off. Well, at least he didn't have any misgivings about walking straight into it. He looked around and, hoping that no one saw him, casually strode into a brick wall. For a second, it was black and then the world returned. The previous station had vanished, replaced instead by a single large red steam engine. The platform before him was packed with students, some already clad in black robes, others saying goodbye to parents in coloured cloaks. A mother with flaming red hair was saying goodbye to a whole crowd of children with the same vibrant hair.

"At last Mr Evans, for a moment I thought you would miss your only means of getting to school."

Merlin jumped and turned around, too startled to reply with a sarcastic remark of his own. "Professor Snape? What are you—?"

The black-robed professor moved aside to reveal a trunk, and Merlin had no doubt about what was inside. He blinked, stared at the trunk for a moment before looking back at Snape – who was enjoying the look of surprise on his face.

"You brought me my stuff?"

"I see we are still stating the obvious." Snape rolled his eyes. "Yes, I do believe you will need your equipment and robes. Muggle clothing is not permitted in class."

"Right." Merlin crossed over to him and ran his hand over the top of the trunk. "I just thought you would be giving it to me at school."

"You will need to change into your robes on the train. And," Snape's lip curled. Merlin saw his eyes flicker briefly to a spot behind him before turning to his face. "I had no desire to hold onto your things longer than necessary."

"I see. Uh, thanks, I guess. Sir."

Snape gave him a long hard look before nodding. "You're welcome. Now, I must return to school." And, before Merlin even had time to say goodbye, the man had disapparated with a crack.

"Are you Snape's son?"

Merlin turned very quickly. In front of him were two boys, both with flaming orange hair and identical wide grins. He recognized them as part of the crowd that had been around the red-haired lady just a few minutes before. The twins were ogling him as though he were some sort of rare treasure.

"What?" Merlin blinked and then, almost comically, glanced toward the spot where Snape had vanished. "Snape? No—no! I'm not his son."

"What do you reckon, Fred?" one asked the other, as though he hadn't just heard Merlin's dismissal.

"I suppose if you look hard enough you can see some sort of resemblance," his brother, Fred answered. "Mind you, that's probably a good thing. Wouldn't want those facial features."

"Or allergy to shampoo."

"In fact, he's actually rather all right, for the spawn of the git."

Merlin folded his arms, narrowing his eyes ever-so-slightly. "No, please, go right ahead. I'm not standing in front of you or anything."

That seemed to snap the twins out of their exchange. Fred opened his mouth and then closed it before turning to share an expression with his brother.

"Oh, he's most definitely related to him."

"I'm not!" Merlin tried to protest, but Fred held up his hand and smiled.

"Don't worry, Snape Jr. Your secret is safe with us."

Merlin knew there would be no point in trying to persuade him otherwise. He heaved a sigh and turned back to his trunk. The train blew steam and whistled, indicating that it was probably high time he stowed his possessions on board. For a second, the twins watched him and then without saying a word to one another, stepped forward to help.

"Want some help with that?" It was the second brother who spoke this time. He gave Merlin a kind smile, somehow devoid of the mischievous glint that had possessed him not a few seconds before.

"Uh—" In all honesty, he didn't need the help. With a muttered spell, he could make the trunk much easier to carry but he supposed that this way was better. It was more discreet, in any case. The twin must have picked up on his hesitation because he continued.

"I'm George Weasley, and this is my brother, Fred." He stuck out his hand. "What's your name?"

And, after a split second, Merlin shook it. "Merlin Evans."

"He named you after Merlin?"

"We aren't related!" Merlin managed not to roll his eyes. He had a feeling that no matter how many times he'd say it, they wouldn't believe it.

"All right then, Merlin. Let's get your trunk onto the train before it leaves without us."

After a few minutes of laborious pulling and lifting, his trunk was finally inside the train. He smiled, glancing at the two brothers. "Thanks," he said. Fred blinked, but before he could actually say anything someone called out his and George's name.

"Coming, Mum!" he called back. He turned to go but paused. "Hey, you're a first year, right?"

"Right..."

"Why don't you come with? I have a brother that's going to be in your year."

Merlin stared. "Uh... okay." He wasn't quite sure what to make of these Weasley twins. They gave him a clash of vibes, a light-hearted mischievous aura and a genuinely kind elder brother. It made the air around them feel as warm as their hair. George beamed when Merlin accepted – though he expected Fred would've dragged him along even if he'd refused. George placed an arm on his shoulder.

"C'mon, let's go meet ickle-Ronnie-kins."

"That sounds like the name of a cat," Merlin said as he was steered forward, walking toward the woman with hair just like the twins.

Fred snorted with laughter. "Oh, I'm so remembering that one for whenever Mum calls him that again."

"Fred, here's your lunch and—well, who's this?"

Mrs Weasley had a warm smile, with lovely dimples and crow's feet. She was on the heavier side, but her robes artfully accented her better points. She was holding a bag filled with brown paper bags with names on them. From the look of it, she had upwards of five children that she was sending off.

"This is Merlin Evans, Mum. He's a first year we ran into."

"Pleasure to meet you," and Merlin inclined his head just barely to the woman in the soft semblance of a bow. The action was met with stares all around. "What?"

"N-nothing." Mrs Weasley said brushing it aside. A young girl at her side was still gazing at him, her brilliant green eyes wide. "First year, you said? Well, you ought to meet Ron."

"Which would explain why these two kidnapped me," Merlin replied, a small smile playing about his mouth. He tried to look annoyed though, in a mocking, light-hearted sort of way.

"Whose gotta meet Ron?"

Merlin turned around. The boy was about his height, maybe an inch taller with a swarm of freckles on his nose and cheeks. He could see something dark right on the bridge of his nose that looked somewhat like a smudge of dirt. Immediately, Merlin knew he wasn't the prankster type, nor did he seem particularly interested in him.

"Whose this?"

"I'm Merlin."

He stared at him, and then looked up at the twins. "Very funny. Who are you, really?"

Merlin narrowed his eyes. "Spawn of the devil." Behind him, Fred snorted with laughter again. "Seriously, my name is Merlin Evans."

"Really?" Ron gave him a once over. "Ever think that's a bit much to live up to?"

"Not really."

"Okay," George cut in, seeming to be withholding laughter as well. "Change of plans."

"We are most definitely not handing this piece of comedic gold over to you," Fred finished.

"Mother," another boy spoke, joining the group. He was already in his Hogwarts robes. "The prefects are all meeting up front, so I'm off."

"Oh, are you a Prefect Percy?" George said turning to him with a look of mock surprise. "You should have said something."

"Hang on, I think I remembering him mentioning it once, or twice."

"A minute."

"All summer."

"Enough!" Percy glared at them before turning and pecking his mother on the cheek. "Goodbye."

"Take care, dear," and Mrs Weasley handed him one of the bags. She then turned to the twins, her hands on her hips. "Now, you two. Behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me—telling me you've blown up a toilet or—"

"Blown up a toilet? We've never blown up a toilet. Great idea though, thanks, mum."

"It's not funny. "

Merlin thought it was hilarious. He was trying very hard not to let his smile increase in size.

"And look after Ron."

"Don't worry, we'll look after ickle-Ronnie-kins."

"Shut up!" Ron snapped, his ears going red.

Merlin and George exchanged expressions of hidden laughter. The little girl was still ogling him, and Merlin felt a strange desire to wave his hand in front of her face. The train blew a whistle, and they knew it was time to go. Merlin stood back as he watched Mrs Weasley kiss all her sons goodbye. She tried to rub the dirt off Ron's nose, but with little success. And the next minute, they were all clambering onto the train.

Their sister began to cry.

"Don't Ginny, we'll send you loads of owls!" Fred called out to her through one of the windows.

"Yeah, we'll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat!"

"George!"

"Only joking mum!"

Merlin smiled and then waved as well. She smiled back, though her cheeks were wet. As the train started moving, Ginny ran after it – half laughing, half crying – until it picked up speed and she fell back, waving.

"Careful Merlin, that's my sister you're smiling at," Fred said, apparently having noticed.

Merlin quickly dropped his hand. "I didn't—"

"Relax." He laughed. "Well, come on, mate."

Ron had vanished from behind them. Merlin didn't mind though and he didn't ask where he'd gone, supposing he'd gone to find his own compartment. Merlin liked the twins a little more than he did Ron. They were more similar.

He followed them through the hallway. "So, how many years have you been at Hogwarts?" Merlin asked.

"Three," the twins replied in unison.

"Although it feels like longer, doesn't it Fred?"

"No idea how we'll survive all seven. Filtch will probably kill us during detention if the bludgers don't get us during practice."

"Um, a what?"

"A bludger." They both stopped, turning to look at him. Fred raised an eyebrow while George adopted a more surprised expression. "You know, Quidditch?"

"Uh..."

"You cannot be serious. How don't you know what Quidditch is?"

Merlin frowned and folded his arms. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe because I didn't grow up in the magical world?"

"You didn't—"

"How is that possible?" George asked, seeming horrified. "Your dad—"

"For the last time, he's not my dad." He had a father. A father that he was very proud of.

"Seriously?"

"Yes, you dollop head!"

Fred gave him a strange look while George seemed to be trying to decide whether or not he should laugh. "You sure you're not like... distantly related or something?"

Merlin rolled his eyes.

"Okay, okay. So are your parents muggleborns, or something?"

Merlin shifted uncomfortably. George must have seen the movement because he suddenly elbowed his brother in the side and gave him a meaningful look.

"Oh, oh. Sorry. I—" Fred stammered but Merlin cut him off.

"It's okay."

"Was your dad's name Balthazar?" asked George, keeping his face perfectly serious.

Merlin gave him a gentle shove. "Shut up." He didn't entirely understand the reference, but he didn't want them to know that. George laughed and put his arm on his shoulder again.

"Well, fear not. We—" and he exchanged looks with Fred, "—will teach you everything you need to know about Hogwarts."

"Especially how not to get caught."

"Yes, definitely how not to get caught."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

440K 24.3K 166
Featured at Wattpad's Editor Picks list. Luna, an overworked Engineer, had an unfortunate end. Her spirit, feeling wronged, fights Death for a second...
558K 9.8K 35
Percy is betrayed by his friends and the person he loved the most..he decides to leave ,to change the environment.what happens when he Hecates offers...
63.8K 1.1K 33
'I see your broken self reflected in my eyes and feel my heart clench in pain as if I were the one so hurt.' Harry Potter x Percy Jackson crossover
158K 9.9K 45
Elizabeth has been ruling her kingdom for 3 years now. She's gone through countless advisors in those 3 years. When she's finally ready to give up on...