Forever yours

By radkam80

This story is of Sameer and Naina from Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai. Naina Agarwal is a quintessential girl who f... More

The Gamechanger Night
Pyar ka Ehsaas
Thodi si Jalan
Nok Jhok
Amar Prem
Saat Vachan
Khoobsurat Raat
The Doomsday!
Kuch Dabe Hue Sach
The Heartbreak
Jija Saali ki Dosti
The Care of Love
Revolution!
Pyar Toh Hai!
Bacha Liya!
Ek Naya Adhyay
Grih Pravesh
You are Beautiful
Maidan-E-Jung
Dhobi Ghat
"Naina sang Sameer"
Thank you!!!
Isstriwale Jija
The Stylist Lover
The Handsome Chauffeur
Responsibility
Regaining the Trust
Tera Saath Na Chodunga
First Love Letter
Shuru se Shuruat
Sapnon ka Saudagar
Please note!
Bromance
Thoda Sa Pyar Hua Hai...
Dooriyan Duur Ho Gayi
Ek Vachan
Sharing the Bliss
The Challenge
Fugly

....Thoda Hai Baaki

1.9K 173 147
By radkam80

Part 33

Ssmeer stood in the row with other 29 participants, of which only 12 were to be selected to form the school team. Naina, Munna and Pandit waited on the perimeter of the grounds from where they had a clear view as well as could hear the game. The strict Sports Sir, Mr. Rajendra Singh, a stern Rajput with upward peaked moustache, was a proud ex-football player in the army team. But due to field injury, he had to accept early retirement and now he exerted his army discipline as a sports coach on the students of PVKM. He started stating the rules of the game and selection process.

"Har ballebaz ko 2 over khelne milenge, ek fast bowler aur ek spinner. Usi tarah har bowler ko ek ya dou over daalne ka mauka milega. Aap logon ne fitness test pass kar li hai issliye aaj aap yahan khade hai. Par aajke pradarshan ke dauran aapka fitness bhi observe kiya jayega. Selection panel par main, Lochan sir, aur dou external selectors hai jo Gujarat ke bahar se hai. Aap mein se kinhi 12 vidyarthiyon ka sarvsammati se chunav kiya jayega.

The batting and bowling lists were read out separately and Sameer was placed at third position for batting. Coach Sir also decided who would field where and who would be benched till their turn. The lists were organized and shuffled such that all batsmen and bowlers also got a chance to field and demonstrate their fitness, agility, strategy and alertness. Sameer had to field till his turn to bat. Although Coach Sir never showed any partiality, Sameer's reputation preceeded him, and hence, he was being tested hard. Some players fielded half and half before and after their turn to bat or bowl, but Sameer's full stamina was tested whether he could bat immediately after field diving and running. Also, he had to face Tarun as the fast bowler, their classmate but one of the members of the bet boys gang.

Sameer smiled when he came on, trying to convey that all should be cool, but he was still taking offense that Munna Pandit got in a brawl with them in Mt. Abu and also Sameer had several times warned them to stay put and away from the Agrawals. Tarun bowled such that Sameer barely dodged an LBW on his very first ball that could have ended his candidacy right there. Then, he managed to throw a Yorker. Sameer was lucky as Arjun had drillled it into him to always have one foot in the crease when you are not sure about your opppnents tactics.

"Yaar Ponga, yeh shartwala toh Sameer ki lutiya dubaye bina manega nahi".

"Haan Chenu. Use dekhke laga raha puraa khunnas mein hai".

Naina heard the boys worry over Sameer, but she didn't need to be a cricket expert to see what was going on on the pitch. It was clear as a day that Tarun was out there trying to hurt Sameer under the pretext of bowling strategies.

He was over to his third ball and while Sameer was trying to gage from stance and posture, what would he throw at him next and a way to score inspite of the dampener, Tarun changed his line at the last minute such that the ball came straight at his face hitting his nose and colliding with the shoulder and straight in the hands of the waiting wicket keeper. Thank God for his presence of mind despite the excruciating pain, he collapsed with one foot still resting in the crease.

The game was called to an instantaneous halt and all players rushed to his side except Tarun. Coach sir and Lochan sir also hurried to the field. Munna Pandit also rushed from the sidelines but were halted by the committe remembers as the viewers or anyone other than the players and selectors were not allowed in the field area until the process was over. Naina also seemed extremely worried and she wanted to rush to his side as nothing was now visible from the sidelines as a crowd had gathered around Sameer. She tried to crane her neck and move around to at least sneak a peek and see if he was alright but her short height didn't allow any distant glances from over the shoulders of tall boys and teachers.

"Munna Pandit, yahan khade rehke kya kar rahe ho? Wahan jake dekho na. Sameer theek toh hai, kahi use tez chot toh nahi lagi". Concern was written all over her face and tension evident in her voice. She had shed all inhibitions about keeping a distance and was openly displaying her genuine feelings without even realizing her actions.

"Hume koi jane nahi de raha hai Naina. Warna ab tak hum yahan khade nahi hote. Kab ka apne bhai ke paas hote", Munna explained why they had to just be speculators. "Tum chinta mat karo, sab theek hoga". Pandit tried to assure her but he himself was not confident about the situation.

Meanwhile, Coach Sir cleared the area around Sameer as everyone took a step back and Lochan Sir also bent down to check him. Sameer was lying on bis back, eyes closed, his palm flat on the bridge of his nose and he was writhing in some agony. Lochan sir gently lifted his hand from the nose while Coach Sir examined the damage. His nostrils were bleeding profusely.

"Sameer, tumhari naak se toh khoon beh raha hai". Coach sir tapped and touched gently on both sides of the nose bone to check for the extent of damage and then reported. "Naak ki haddi tuti hai ya bahi pataa nahi, ho sakta hai sirf andaruni chot ho ya halka sa fracture".

"Sameer, tumhe abhi doctor ke paas chalna chahiye". Lochan Sir stated the obvious.

"Haan Sameer....tumhe doctor ki zaroorat hai. Par agar tumne iss waqt field choda toh mujhe majbooran tumhe disqualify karna padega aur tum team selection mein apna chance kho doge". Coach Sir stated the repercussions.

"Kaisi baatein kar rahe hai Sir? Yahan bachche ko chot lagi aur aapko iske selection ki padi hai?" Lochan Sir almost condemned him. Sameer, who was still reeling from the haze of pain, "nahi Sir, main field chodke kahi nahi ja raha hoon. Aap buss mujhe koi painkiller de dijiye, main khelunga, disqualify nahi hona chahta".

Coach Sir pursed his lips, but again firmly stated the rule, "sorry Sameer par jab tak tumhara game pura nahi ho jaata, main tumhe khanewali koi dawai nahi de sakta. Drug ingestion rules ke khilaaf hai".

"Par khoon rokne ke liye barf lagana toh tules ke khilaaf nahi hai na Sir?" A meek voice but bold tone spoke from behind. She couldn't bear the distraught of waiting on the outer edge and from what could be gathered from silent voices and tensed faces and mixed reactions, she had hurried off to the school canteen beckoning Munna Pandit along in case their illicit aid was required. The boys were more than happy to play accomplice. However, it wasn't needed as the canteen was half-open to accommodate the need of cold drinks and some snacks, as directed by the Principal and Sports Sir, due to the delayed selections. She hurriedly requested for some ice that she carried in a bowl and upon reaching the accident spot, wrapped a large block in her clean handkerchief and extended it for immediate application abiding the allowed treatment rules.

Lochan Sir looked at Coach Sir and he nodded in approval. So, he grabbed the cold pack from her hand and pressed it on Sameer's nasal bone with slight pressure. The searing pain hadn't allowed him to open his eyes that were clenched shut but he was well aware of the happenings around him. He knew what Naina had done for him, like usual coming to his rescue when others didn't care as much or were focused in following the norms and rules. She wouldn't mind breaking a few or definitely bending them if it was for him. He smiled to himself but it hurt to do so. After a couple of minutes, the ice numbed the nose and dulled the ache. The blood clotted and he opened his eyes to the mid-afternoon sunrays piercing straight on the ground. He sat up slowly from his lying, still holding the cold pack in position.

"Sameer, tum theek ho?" Lochan sir asked as his pain lines were still clearly visible.

"Sameer, kya tum aage khelna chahoge? Kyonki tumhari wajah se already sab delay ho chuka hai. Mujhe lagta hai tumhe retire hokar doctor ke paas jana chahiye!" Coach sir commanded.

Sameer looked at Naina. Her face was scrunched up in worry. He knew her well that at the moment she least cared about whether he was selected or not. She would rather accompany him to a doctor. But he had promised her that he would always stand by her and promised himself that he wouldn't ever let her down. His win today would he her win. Even if he didn't, he would be damned if he left without trying.

Sameer got up, dull ache still bothering him, but he had the confidence that she was with him. "Main khelne ke liye taiyyar hoon". He stated while letting the remaining melting ice slip to the ground and while everyone was dispersing, he tied the small ladies hankie to his wrist. Munna Pandit grinned and side hugged each other while a tiny smile curved at the corner of Naina's mouth af his gesture. She knew what he exactly meant; that physically, she might have to wait afar on the sidelines but mentally and emotionally she was with him, his guiding light holding his hand in case he was dubious.

Within seconds everyone assembled on the ground and continued with the game. This time Sameer was prepared, all other thoughts put away and reading and gaging his opponent's stance well. The next three balls were measured line and length but Arjun had helped him work on his cover drives and he was able to hit a 6 and two boundaries. Tarun was washed off and Sameer forgot his pain. Tarun gave him a devious looks but at the moment there was nothing more he could do except feeling satisfied that he avenged whatever his petty cause in three balls.

Next was a spinner who had some problems as the pitch didn't spin aptly but he still bowled quite well. However, Sameer was able to garner runs at every ball including a boundary. The game continued and Sameer continued to field even not leaving the slightest iota of chance for a non-selection or disqualification coz he didn't fulfill all criteria. Whenever he dived or jumped high to stop a ball, the light throb would return but he was unmindful of it. He didn't let it deter him from the task.

A few others had waited for their friends like Munna Pandit and everyone cheered whenever there was a boundary or a ball was stopped or there was an LBW. However, among girls, it was only Naina who stayed out so late and Sameer was overjoyed everytime when their eyes met from across the field and she smiled at him. He was determined to make it worth that she had broken all norms today to support him.

After the game was completed, the players waited in limbo in the changing room while the committee debated over the team. After what seemed like a never-ending agony, the players were asked to assemble back on the ground where the team would be announced. The players filed in a single row and waited for their fate to be decided like those waiting on the sidelines. Munna Pandit were hobbling over leg to leg unable to keep steady while Naina unknowningly had her hands clasped in prayers and her heart praying fervently that God cast his favor on Sameer.

Coach Sir came around with a chart sheet in his hand and started lecturing. "Aaj ka chunav aapke overall performance pe aadharit hai. Aapka game, stamina, pressure mein performance, team playing or netritva karne ki aur kisike netritva mein khelne ki kshamataon ko parkha gaya hai. Ab main jin jinke naam padhunga, weh aage aayenge". Sameer gave a quick furtive glance towards Naina to boost his morale which was equivalent to crossing fingers.

Coach Sir started calling names and boys stepped forward. At every name that was not his, Sameer's heart sank, drawing disappointment close. After calling out 9 names, Sir stopped and his heart started racing. There were only 3 more spots to be filled and only 2 of those would be players, as 12th man was only a necessity as per the rules, and hence, there would be one extra player but mostly benched. He hadn't thought he played so bad that he couldn't secure even a 10th or 11th position. Well, he was definitely trying for a batsman position that was way up the order but for the moment, he would be happy to be a tailender if it secured him a place in the team. Then, he could try again to convince the committee and display his skill again and move up on the rungs.

"Ab baari hai iss team ka captain chunne ki". Sameer closed his eyes as disappointment settled in him. "Iss team ka captain hai, Sameer Maheshwari!" Coach Sir simply declared.

While there was some applause in the gathering, Munna Pandit cheered and hooted loudly jumping with joy but Sameer couldn't believe his ears. He opened his eyes and they were rounded seeing the reaction around him. Indeed he had heard it right. He could see the joy on his friends's faces but most importantly, his Naina was delighted and couldn't stop smiling and clapping lightly with one hand drawn close to the other still in a sling to reduce movements and her eyes welled up.

"Yahan aaj sabhi ne bahut achcha pradarshan diya hai par tumne sabse achchi performance di hai. Batting toh tumhari best hai hi, par fielding mein jo strategies suggest ki thi tumne, woh bhi kamaal ki thi. Batsman ke hisaab se field set karna achchi tarah aata hai tumhe". Sameer mentally thanked his guru Arjun for endless advices and tips and tools for strategising. "Issliye Committe ne tumhe captainship ke liye chuna hai. Aur tumhe dou adhikaar milte hai. Team ke baaki ki dou positions tum khud bharoge, apni pasand ke players chunke".

Sameer was very appreciative that his talent was not discarded due to his minor injury but was rather given previleges. He chose wisely. A batsman with skills such as his own. He had observed the other players and their tactics to score maximum with stringent field sets. But what shocked everyone was when he chose the bowler as Tarun, the same who had purposely injured him. Even Coach Sir warned him, "Sameer, ek baar fir soch lo! Ek baar team declare ho gayi toh koi changes allowed nahi honge!"

"Ji SIr, yeh perfect team hai!" Sameer smiled and replied confidently justifying his decision.

"Theek hai. Fir tumhara dusra adhikaar hai apna vice captain chunna".

Sameer though for a moment, looked at each member, and selected wicket keeper as his vice captain. It was a very unusual decision but Coacn Sir could read his mind very well. The wicketkeeper could bat decently but was best at his job and a neutral person was good as vice captain who could lead but also follow. Some were confused but some applauded his decision. When the selection was over, the friends in the team hugged each other while the Committe congratulated them and encouraged for the hard work laid out for them further. It was going to be toughest for Sameer coz now he was leading the team as well as had to do his Agrawal house duty and also continue to support Naina for the other endeavours.

After almost everyone left, Tarun came up to him and glared him in the eye and asked point blank. "Tumne mujhe kyon select kiya?"

Sameer matched his glare but answered calmly and truthfully with a sight smirk, "kyonki aaj tumne jaisi bowling ki hai, agar waisi ya usse aadhi bhi competition ke din ki, toh cricket ki trophy toh pakka hamari hai".

Tarun stared for a moment longer but then realised that Sameer was confident about his decision as it was about the game and not vengeance anymore. The bet was over and done with. He chuckled softly still at Sameer's audacity to risk being injured again but it proved that he meant business. He too smirked, confirming his suppprt to the new captain and left.

Finally, the ground was almost empty or so as at least the teachers had all left. Munna Pandit ran upto him and hugged him tight and each lifted Sameer from either side mounting him on their shoulder and almost jumping and making loud cheerful noises. While he was excited about his win, what mattered most was the look of contentment on Naina's face. He had definitely risen higher up after what he had achieved today. But when the boys plonked him down on his feet with a thud, a light hiss escaped his mouth and lines of worry were etched immediately on her face.

"Sameer, pehle tujhe doctor ke paas chalna chahiye", Munna voiced finally as both had noticed the return of pain.

"Nahi yaar, main theek hoon. Ab itna dard nahi hai. Khoon bhi ruk gaya hai. Ab bahut der ho gayi hai, hume ghar jaana hoga". Sameer showed that he was ok but was more worried about reaching home late, lest a few Agrawals created any ruckus about it.

"Pehle doctor ke paas jaayenge, fir ghar. Jise jo sochna hai soche aur jitna daantna hai daant le", Naina declared which immediately halted all the bickering among the boys and all three stared at her. She turned around and started walking towards the parking. Pandit drove with Munna in the front so that Sameer could settle comfortably in the back. Of course Naina joined him keeping some distance between them but continuously stated outsude the window with s million thoughts crushing her mind.

Something had changed this afternoon between them. He had gone lengths to prove himself to her. She knew, understood and acknowledged it but couldn't articulate it with worthy words. She knew he was gazing lovingly at her continuously but she couldn't look him in the eye coz that might give away her true feelings.

They stopped at the doctor's, who examined his nose and nasal bone. The pain had considerably subsided to a dull ache and the physician's test confirmed the absence of any hairline fracture. However, he still stuck a small bandage to isolate it and gave him some to bring down the little swelling around the nostrils and in case if the pain elevated. He was advised to steer clear of any injuries to the nose for a couple of days. While Sameer was relieved that the injury was a minor one and would not hinder his continued preparations, Naina was pleased only about that he was unharmed.

Finally when they reached home, Taiji caught them at the threshold as she too was going over to Bela's. "O bai, aa gayi Maharani. Itni shaam tak andhera hone ke baad bhi bahar bhatak rahi thi. Main kahe deti hoon Bela, ek din yeh ladki pure khaandaan ki naak katwakar hi dum legi. Yeh besharam ladki hamari mitti palit kar degi".

"Bhabhiji, Preeti ne hume bataya tha, ki aaj Sameer ka selection hai, issliye inhe der jo jayegi. Aur fir dono saath hi the, toh chinta kis baat ki. Sameer apni zimmedari theek se nibhana janta hai". Chachaji defended both of them. To prevent Taiji from ranting further, he asked Sameer, "yeh naak pe kya hua Sameer?"

"Kuch nahi Chachaji, woh khelte samay ball lag gayi thodi si. Ek dou din mein theek ho jayega". Chachaji only nodded and Chachiji instructed when Preeti came scampering in the room. "Selection mein kya hua?" She asked excitedly before anyone else had a chance.

"Sameer ko team ka captain select kiya gaya", Naina delivered the news excitedly but Sameer saw something more. He could see the content in her eyes and hear the pride she felt for him in her voice. The scolding of a moment before was simply brushed away. There was not any melancholy she felt, only joy for his success.

"Congratulations", someone wished from behind. Arjun had heard it when Naina was sharing it and he too came forward and hugged Sameer openly displaying his satisfaction. Sameer only thanked him butvhis eyes conveyed enough of his gratitude. Both knew that he couldn't credit him in public as their coaching sessions were yet a secret. They shared their own top classified bond.

"Achcha chalo sab log haath muh dhoke kapde badal lo...thoda aaram kar lo...thodi der mein khana taiyyar ho jaayega", Chachiji instructed.

The girls disappeared inside and as soon as they were in their room, Preeti locked the door, turned around and looked at Naina. Her mouth started curving slowly and Naina mirrored the image and Preeti read her feelings. Naina was much more happy than she could be for her Jijaji. The sisters hugged and Naina's eyes teared.

Later in the night, long after everyone retired and she was sure Sameer would also have been asleep by now due to exertion and the effect of pain meds, she got up from the bed. She couldn't sleep a wink. Her heart was full and her mind restless. A lot had changed but she didn't know what to do or say or how to act. All that she could think of was him.

After much deliberation, she tiptoed to the hall and stood over him on the deevan, his sleeping abode. She bent down slowly and sat on her haunches. He was curled up on his side and a pillow clutched tightly in the other arm and her hankie clutched in his fist. He slept peacefully like a baby. Naina was overwhelmed with emotion. He had promised that come what may, he wouldn't leave her side and he hadn't. She couldn't control herself, her eyes welled up and she reached out and her fingertips brushed around his nasal bandage with a featherlight touch that wasn't even there.

But when it was Naina, her single breath didn't go unnoticed by him. He couldn't miss her touch even in his deepest sleep. As if on cue, he opened his eyes and smiled at her gesture. She was startled and stood up abruptly wanting to put distance betweeen them for the fear that her emotions would be all over the place. But he was quick on his feet too and blocked her way. "Agar kuch kehne aayi thi toh bina kahe kyon ja rahi ho?"

She was embarrassed at having been caught red-handed adoring him in sleep, but now that she was, she replied patronising him, "tumne aaj ko kiya, woh bahut himmati tha. Par agar chot zyaada lag jaati aur kuch ho jaata toh? Agar naak tut jaati toh? Aur kahi sar pe gehri chot lag jati toh?" He had known all along that she was always concerned for him, but after a very long time, she had expressed it so freely on him.

"Ab chup kyon ho? Jawab do. Aisa kyon kiya tumne?" She demanded an explanation.

He leaned a bit close to her and whispered with a smug face, "tumhe nahi pata kyon?"

His close breath gave her goosebumps and more than she could bear in such proximity. She met his eye and clearly saw all that he felt for her. It was the same she felt that could cross any hurdles for him and move heaven and earth to make him happy. But fearing that he would read that, she lowered her gaze and skirted around him to leave.

But his words on her back halted her, "main tumhare liye kuch bhi kar sakta hoon Naina. Kisi bhi hadd tak ja sakta hoon, koi bhi hadd paar kar sakta hoon". She was astounded that he had articulated her exact same feelings. How did he know what she had in her heart.

She turned around and their gaze met. Both stared at each other for a long moment, he with all his love in his eyes and though she felt the same, there were no words to form. But Sameer looked deeply in her dark oceans and he knew, he just knew!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.2K 2.1K 35
Sameer, a former state level cricketer has now left cricket and is engrossed in drinking and smoking. He deteriorated his career and life as he lost...
16.5K 2.1K 49
Sameer Maheshwari, CEO of Maheshwari Industries, living With his Nanu in Ahmadabad is a very charming, Lovable person. His three lifelines are Nanu...
149K 11.2K 43
Once touched by love, our lives can never be the same. Sameer Maheshwari, though born in India, grew up in London. Whereas, Naina Agarwal's world ha...
41.3K 3.9K 32
Arrange Marriage story of Samaina...πŸ’– Look how Sameer experienced love at first sight when he saw a girl's photograph. He kept her in his dreams but...