The Golden Princess (#4 in th...

By StephRose1201

♦YOU MUST HAVE READ THE PREQUEL, THE GOLDEN DUCHESS, TO READ THIS BOOK!♦ BEWARE--spoilers in this blurb, for... More

•WELCOME BACK!•
•GIROMA•
•O N E•
•T W O•
•T H R E E•
• T H R E E pt. 2 • Bonus
•F O U R•
•F I V E•
•S I X•
• S I X pt. 2 • Bonus
•S E V E N•
•E I G H T•
•N I N E•
•E L E V E N•
•T W E L V E•
•T H I R T E E N•
•F O U R T E E N•
•F I F T E E N•
•S I X T E E N•
•S E V E N T E E N•
•E I G H T E E N•
•N I N E T E E N•
•T W E N T Y•
•T W E N T Y - O N E•
• T W E N T Y - T W O•
•T W E N T Y - T H R E E•
•T W E N T Y - F O U R•
•T W E N T Y - F I V E•
•T W E N T Y - S I X•
•T W E N T Y - S E V E N•
•T W E N T Y - E I G H T•
•T W E N T Y - N I N E•
•T H I R T Y•
•T H I R T Y - O N E•
•T H I R T Y - T W O•
•T H I R T Y - T H R E E•
•T H I R T Y - F O U R•
•T H I R T Y - F I V E•
•T H I R T Y - S I X•
•T H I R T Y - S E V E N•
•T H I R T Y - E I G H T•
•T H I R T Y - N I N E•
•F O R T Y•
•F O R T Y - O N E•
•F O R T Y - T W O•
•F O R T Y - T H R E E•
•F O R T Y - F O U R•
•F O R T Y - F I V E•
•F O R T Y - S I X•
•F O R T Y - S E V E N•
•F O R T Y - E I G H T•
•F O R T Y - N I N E•
•F I F T Y•
•F I F T Y - O N E•
•F I F T Y - T W O•
•F I F T Y - T H R E E•
•F I F T Y - F O U R•
•F I F T Y - F I V E•
•F I F T Y - S I X•
• F I F T Y - S E V E N•
•F I F T Y - E I G H T•
•F I F T Y - N I N E•
•S I X T Y•
•S I X T Y - O N E•
••THANK YOU/MERCI••
•CHARACTER AESTHETICS•
•GENERAL AESTHETICS•
••BEHIND THE SCENES••
♫PLAYLIST♫
••FAN ART/ALTERNATE COVERS••
•S E Q U E L•

•T E N•

3.5K 284 31
By StephRose1201

"But how did she come across so much information?" Gazing at her charming companion—her wonderful fiancé—Céleste sipped on her second chamomile of the afternoon, desperate for its herbs to soothe her nerves.

The Dining Room was calm, near empty; two noblemen were in deep discussion by the doors, and maids dusted and swept by the window.

"It is Charlotte." Sébastien lifted another biscuit to his mouth. "She is sly, and navigates these halls of rumors better than anyone, from what Jules has claimed. She wants to test you, ensure you are not holding out on her." He chewed, then washed down his bite with coffee.

Céleste sniffed in the precious scent that always reminded her of Prudence. She then hunched over, concealing herself behind Sébastien. She expected Charlotte to show up, as if summoned, to request her presence for some annoyingly long bridesmaid gathering.

"Do you not find it fishy that she would be aware of something still so up in the air? I doubt the Queen confided in her about it, nor did the King, and Jules is not in on this secret, is he?"

"This is why I wanted you to befriend her." Sébastien, unfazed by his fiancée's demeanor, sipped more of his beverage. "To report all these findings so I am informed of what spreads within the castle and who spreads it."

Céleste nearly slammed her fists on the table, but refrained at the last second, unwilling to draw attention. "Charlotte does! She is always spreading rumors! It was her fault I figured out Maggie's situation when she—" she winced, "—well, you know."

"I have not seen you so passionate and awake in days!" He perked up and took her hand in his. "Are you hungry? Will you eat something now?" Céleste growled at him, and he chortled. "Oh, you are cute when angry."

She held in the urge to swat him away. "So how does she know? Who told her about Antoine wanting to dissolve the marriage if she hates your mother and never spends time with Adelaide?"

Sébastien replaced his mug on the table and leaned in close. His coffee breath washed over her cheeks, once more plunging her into memories of Prudence.

"Think harder, my sweet. You seem to forget one important figure in her life. You mentioned him earlier, and I did not reply to your query about him, do you not wonder why?"

She racked her brain, weeding through the names she'd thrown out since she'd perched on her seat, wishing to drown in her drink.

"Adelaide, Antoine, your mother... oh." Her eyes widened, and she sensed her cheeks heating. "Jules? I thought... were you not keeping him out of things? Is he not on our side now?"

"Oh, he is." Sébastien adjusted his napkin before it fell from where he'd affixed it over his collar. "But he cannot be trusted with pertinent information, as it often slips from his mouth when he is distracted." His eyebrows wiggled suggestively as he lowered his chin. "He disliked Charlotte, at first, but now it appears she has her ways of getting him to open up, and I assume he tells her everything. So while Antoine and I have not informed him of anything regarding Adelaide, he may have overheard, and he may have mentioned it to Charlotte."

This was the second time in one day that someone implied Charlotte used her charms on Jules.

Céleste wrinkled her nose. "I see." She gaped at the biscuits as her face continued to overheat. "I understand why he would have disliked her. She is insufferable."

"Yet she is a good match for him, for our family." Sébastien's nostrils flared, and he flinched, trying to fix his expression before it revealed his true thoughts. "Her family holds solid control of her county, and they have a reputation for class and dignity. Her father is a well-bred man, and her sisters have found fine matches in Spain. Totresia could do without more," he slouched, "drama. Removing Charlotte would displease Jules, and we do not want that."

Céleste sat up straight. "I said she is annoying, but I never said—"

"—your tone said it for you, dearest." He fixed his posture and snapped at a passing butler to whisper something in his ear. Once the butler hurried out of the room, Sébastien wrapped a hand over Céleste's wrist. "Be careful around Charlotte. She aggravates your temper, and I worry you will let essential facts slip. Hate her if you must—most of us do—but be on your guard, all right?"

Céleste's gaze dropped to her half-finished tea. "I will be." She stared at the liquid as it swirled, steam still rising from its depths. "But does this mean... so it is happening? Antoine will prompt a vote to annul the marriage? He sort of clued me in on it the other day, but I was not sure."

He cocked his head. "I told you this when Prudence left, but I realize it was not quite confirmed, was it?" Céleste nodded, eager for the truth, thirsty for real news. "Right, well... it is still planned."

Céleste dragged her chair closer to Sébastien's. "Planned? But not set in stone?"

Sébastien was correct—she hadn't felt so alive in days.

He peeked left and right, assuring himself that no one was within earshot. "Antoine is trying, but he needs unanimity from the nobles, and as of now, he does not have it."

Céleste scrunched her nose as she picked up her cup. "Who would block this from happening? Did you not mention most were not pleased with the union in the first place?"

Sébastien grunted. "Indeed, few like her at court. But one family refuses to negotiate, refuses to attend the meetings he has been holding since Romain departed." He crossed his arms and sent a quick glance at the side-door. "A family loyal to Adelaide's family, actually. Close to the French border, providing for Totresia and France. They will not budge."

"That is the only family declining?" Céleste groaned. "Can he not ignore them, then? He is the King! Surely he does not need everyone's approval—"

"—he does." Sébastien seized another pastry and squeezed it so tight, its layers flaked into his lap. "It is a law as old as time. No marriage annulments without complete unanimity."

Earlier that day, Céleste had questioned her ability to blend in with the ladies at court; now, she wondered if she could ever understand all the intricacies of its politics. It was all so complicated, so riddled with unspoken rules and stern laws and charged with the drama Sébastien claimed he wanted to avoid. Would she ever be comfortable living in this castle, swimming in the gossip, having to hold her tongue at all times for fear her words would be misinterpreted? Could she ever be happy in such a deranged atmosphere?

As if reading her mind, Sébastien drew her in for a gentle embrace. "Do not let this overwhelm you, my love. All will be well. You are joining the family in a bad time, but I have your best interests at heart and will always protect you from their schemes."

Céleste scoffed. "Schemes that have left the castle with your mother. Schemes that Adelaide still orchestrates, no? She will never stop."

"I agree." He squeezed her tighter and kissed her temple. "But once out of court, and out of Totresia, she is no longer our problem. Can you imagine?" He pushed her away and held her at arm's length, his chocolate eyes glistening, his lips widening into a heartfelt smile. "With her and Mother gone, we will not have to tiptoe around corners and eavesdrop to get by! We will not have to fear that Adelaide will maneuver some scandal against us! How delightful does that sound?"

Too delightful, in Céleste's opinion. She wanted to return his smile, but wasn't convinced he was right. There were always scandals at Torrinni Court, and sending Clémentine and Adelaide off wouldn't change that overnight.

He opened his mouth to add something else, but when he glimpsed the side-door, he shot to his feet, waving.

Céleste wasn't expecting others to join in on their conversation, so she swiveled in her seat to see who he motioned at, her gaze landing on the butler Sébastien had whispered to moments ago.

The man pranced up to them, with a platter piled high with—

"Macarons?" Céleste clapped a hand over her mouth and fixed on Sébastien, whose grin took over the entire lower part of his face. "How did you know?"

He accepted the plate from the butler and set it before her with a wink. "Because you never say no to macarons." He was about to sit, but the butler slanted forward and muttered into his ear, slipping something into his hand. "Ah, thank you. That will be all."

Céleste rubbed her hands together, gawking at the cream and pink-colored pastries that screamed her name. "Oh, I love this. And I love you. You are truly the best!"

Sébastien settled beside her and placed a sealed letter next to the delicacies. "I love you, and this came for you, and it appears to be urgent." He pointed at the scroll. "Perhaps open it now, before you indulge in your favorite snack, yes?"

Rolling her eyes and ignoring her stomach as it gurgled, she picked up the note. The owl-like sigil stamped on it gave her heart a start, and she gasped.

"It is from Father." She'd recognize that emblem anywhere; but her father never wrote to her. "This cannot be good."

Sébastien moaned in agreement as she unfolded the letter.

Dearest Daughter,

I am pleased to hear that despite all the issues at court, you are still betrothed to His Highness Prince Sébastien, and thriving, according to my sources. Your mother would be proud.

I must ask a favor of you, however, in the name of our dignity. I am aware of your ongoing friendship with Her Highness Princess Prudence of Giroma, but I do not condone it. In fact, I wish for you to deny, publicly, any further associations with her, or any of her kin in Giroma, for the sake of House Richel and its pride.

Please respond as soon as possible with your decision—though I expect you to heed an old man's orders as a good daughter would.

Regards and love,

Lord Barnabé Richel

"He wants what?" She threw the note into Sébastien's grasp and pushed the plate of delicious delicacies away.

Sébastien read, lips moving as he scanned the words, arms tensing and twitching. "Oh... oh dear."

A tear trickled down Céleste's cheek. "Renounce my friendship with Prudence?"

Until that moment, she'd believed tea withCharlotte was the worst part of her day.

•••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 5.5K 23
Ranked #12 in girlxgirl |03/23/20| Ranked #6 in Updates |08/20/20| Ranked #2 in kingsandqueens |3/20/22| Trapped inside castle walls, heiress Aless...
436K 31.7K 85
Marguerite, the former Duchess of Torrinni, receives two letters that will change the course of her life forever; and that will impact young Céleste...
1.3M 68.1K 63
*Book 2 in the Soulmates Series* After Malekh's startling revelation about the deal he'd made with Ashton, Elizabeth's blossoming relationship seems...
38.4K 4.8K 59
**THE BRAZEN SERIES is part of the GOLDEN UNIVERSE** ♦YOU MUST HAVE READ BOOK TWO, A BRAZEN DUTY, TO READ THIS SEQUEL!♦ ♦♦It is ALSO recommended tha...