The Lonely God (Rosekook)

By Dreamofshadows

Jeon Jeongguk is an arrogant magician who bows down to no one, not even the Gods of Olympus that reside on th... More

Author's Note
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
Eureka (How TLG got its name)

19

798 70 38
By Dreamofshadows

"You do understand that you might not meet one another in your new life Jeongguk. You will have no memory of each other."

"I understand," said Jeongguk stiffly. Next to him Chaeyoung fidgeted with her sleeves, worrying her bottom lip.

"And you're prepared to leave all the titles and honours Olympus was planning to bestow upon you?" Hecate asked, her voice soft as the tone one used when addressing small children.

Jeongguk gritted his teeth. "For the last time, yes, I am prepared. My mind is made up." He flashed the Twelve Gods and Goddesses gathered a quick smirk. "After all, Jeon Jeongguk always relished beating the odds, and I will do so again, I know it."

Zeus snorted. "Cocky bastard as always. Take care of yourself out there. Same goes for you, Park Chaeyoung. You have my blessings."

"Me as well?"Jeongguk asked brightly.

"Unfortunately yes," Zeus growled.

"One moment if you please?"

Everyone turned to face Apollon who stood up to address the Council.

"Apollon? What are you doing?" Poseidon asked curiously.

"Giving them hope," Apollon said easily then turned to the boy and girl. "Prometheus!"

A crack and then a puff of smoke as a young God appeared in front of Jeongguk and Chaeyoung. He had his long hair tied back, hands cradling all manner of scrolls, with a travel pouch hanging at his side. He was also holding a mallet in hand.

"Apollon really?" Prometheus exclaimed, "I was in the midst of important business!"

"It's time," Apollon told him simply. Prometheus' irritated expression quickly morphed into delight.

"Oh! Why didn't you say so?" With a flick of his wrist, all the accessories disappeared and he was now robed in the God's standard dress.

"Prometheus?" Chaeyoung whispered nervously. "Isn't he the trickster Titan supposed to be chained to a rock and having his liver torn out daily by an eagle?"

"Ohhh a mortal who knows my tragic life story? Ma I made it, I'm famous!" Prometheus swooned.

"Prometheus," Apollon said in warning. Prometheus waved a hand dismissively.

"Oh don't get all hot under the chiton my dear Apollon, all in a good time." He clapped and turned to Jeongguk. "Ah, I had my eyes on you for a long time Jeon, you're a man after my own heart."

"Except for the fact that Zeus almost fried me that time you told me it would be alright to sneak into vaults to get you his lightning bolt." Jeongguk said casually, "we kind of fell out after that, huh?"

Prometheus laughed, eyes shining with mischief. "No hard feelings eh Jeon?"

Jeongguk shrugged. "I had been close to being fried before so no big deal, but it kind of stung when you didn't show up alongside me during the trials."

Prometheus was unperturbed, laughing again. "I might have been too busy discovering science."

He clapped his hands again. "But now...I have some tidbits of information concerning you and the demi-god AND your collective futures that might be of interest."

"No tricks," Zeus interjected sternly, "I know your tendencies, Prometheus."

All traces of mischief had disappeared from the trickster God's eyes and he bowed. "You have the word of a fellow God, my Lord," he said respectfully before whirling back on the boy and girl.

"Well, to cut a long story short and simply put: these two are soulmates, joined by the red thread of destiny. They are fated for one another."

A stunned silence followed his proclamation, in which Apollon's smile broadened as he nodded along to what Prometheus said.

"It's true," Apollon concurred, "I have seen it for myself."

"A vision?" Athena guessed shrewdly.

"Multiples," Prometheus said, "Apollon seemed to be troubled by his daughter's predicament and came to me for counsel. Together, we used our combined gifts of prophecy to explore more about this lovely couple here." He turned to a frozen Jeongguk and Chaeyoung. "Would you like to see?"

"Yes," they answered simultaneously. Jeongguk's mouth had turned dry.

Could it be possible....

Was that the reason why they felt so comfortable around each other?

The reason why Chaeyoung said it was as if she had known him all her life?

Prometheus waved a hand and suddenly Jeongguk's mind was flooded with an avalanche of images, all about him and Chaeyoung:

there they were hugging on a smoky plain as terrible noises of war raged around them; 

there they were running together in a meadow beneath the sun; 

there they were dressed in outlandish clothes with smoking sticks stuck between their teeth;

dancing in a crowd in a dark place with flashing lights; 

hugging each other in white beds in a stark white place;

him pointing something black and heavy in his hand as she held her hands up in terror; 

him crying as she locked lips with a stranger;

them running hand in hand in a strange shiny city as menacing, stilted soldiers chased them;

them shouting at each other as they threw plates at each other;

them floating upside down in a cylindrical space as shooting stars passed them by;

them waving to each other as he boarded a huge vessel belching smoke;

her crying as he slammed the door;

them holding on to each other at the edge of a cliff—

Jeongguk jolted back to the present with a deep inhale, his mind spinning from the influx of emotions he had gone through in such a short period of time: he had felt it all—euphoria, melancholy, rage, betrayal, disgust, affection, adoration....

Chaeyoung looked similarly disoriented as she held on to Jeongguk's arm.

"Those would be past, present and future lives from other dimensions," Prometheus explained, "and as you can see, although in some of them you do meet, yet you still do not end up with each other through some circumstance or other. So my parting advice to you would be—have hope and if you do meet...I hope you make the right choice. Got that?"

Jeongguk's knees were weak but through sheer will he responded, echoed by Chaeyoung: "Yes."

It was clear now—if Fate brought them together, it would be up to them to choose to stay together.

A quick glance at Chaeyoung confirmed the same thoughts were running through her head. There was a new meaning in her grip now, a different aspect to the way she leaned closer, brushing ever so slightly against his arm.

His soulmate.

He had to smile, unable to believe his luck. 

Or lack thereof—they had found each other from across dimensions and now they were about to be thrown headlong into the unknown, separated once again.

"Well then, my work here is done," Prometheus announced, "good luck you two!"

And in another puff of silver smoke he had vanished.

Apollon was smiling down at his dumb-founded daughter. "I wanted to at least give you some hope, as my last parting gift to you."

She returned the smile and bowed deeply. "Thank you, Father."

"Only a few moments until the Equinox," Athena announced, sounding unusually excited. She and Hecate directed Jeongguk and Chaeyoung towards the centre of the space before holding their hands out.

An archway materialised in front of them,

Darkness slowly fell, shrouding the other deities from view as Jeongguk assumed they were working their magic in preparation for the Equinox. Chaeyoung pressed closer to him, her cheek brushing against his arm. He patted her on the top of her had before turning his attention back to the portal, the faintest traces of unease swirling in his gut.

Of course it had all been a show of bravado from his end when he was speaking to Zeus: the odds didn't look good at all and in fact he was very much sure that he'd lose.

What if they did meet and it ended in heartbreak, like in other universes?

Should he stay behind and cherish the memories he had, instead of risking it all over again?

Unbidden, the temptation to stay rose up from the depths of his mind even as he struggled to quash the thought.

No. He reminded himself with one recollection of her laughter, that is nothing compared to being with her.

He was going to find Chaeyoung in the new world.

They were soulmates.

He would trust in their bond.

A tug at his sleeve and he looked to his side to find Chaeyoung was smiling bravely up at him, only her eyes giving away the hidden apprehension.

"If you want to stay, it's okay," she said quietly, "I understand perfectly, so go ahead."

He took a deep breath. "I don't go back on my word: I will find you again." he said solemnly, "That is a promise."

The darkness seemed to brighten up with her happy smile as she squeezed his hand tight. "I will find you too," she whispered softly.

Her arms wrapped around his neck and she pulled him close until their lips met and molded together seamlessly, like two puzzles pieces finally slotted together

He was numb, his limbs frozen in shock but he then he realised he was kissing back, pressing closer against her mouth, intent on consuming her scent, her everything; intending to make her a part of him.

It felt like centuries later when they parted and Jeongguk 's heart immediately burst into a skittering rhythm once he pulled back far enough to rest his forehead on hers, drowning in the tenderness pooling in her eyes.

"Maybe this will help us remember each other," she whispered, " perhaps it can help us find our way to one another.

"Perhaps," he replied, pressing his mouth on hers in another lingering kiss. His whole body thrummed with adrenaline and his brain protested when he had to pull away for air—he was already addicted to her, already wanting more. He regretted wasting so much time.

 "Chaeyoung—"

And then he felt invisible hands pushing him towards the portal, much much stronger than he was as he resisted and dug his heels into the ground but to no avail.

"Chaeyoung wait!"

He spied her being pushed towards the portal as well, turning her top half of her body to reach out to him. He leaned forward and caught her hand, fingers just barely brushing as he was pushed forward too.

"I'll find you Kook, I'll look for you!" Chaeyoung promised as she disappeared into the swirling white mist.

"So will I," Jeongguk whispered as the mist took him. There was dazzling whiteness all around and then he was

                                         falling

                                                                               falling

                                                                                                                                   falling....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

iris By grace

Fanfiction

764K 43.9K 53
Kim Taehyung was born with abnormal eyes that changed colours in sync with his emotions. Shunned by his father for his curse, his childhood was spent...
14.6K 943 47
Dark hair, toned body, sharp eyes, and smart enough to hide his fears and his secrets. A ruthless devil, blessed with the face of an angel, JEON JUNG...
186 33 13
"Don't believe anyone." "Why?" "They're monsters." "I don't believe you.... I'll save them...from this hell" A girl who thought she is normal, met a...
3.7K 199 15
"How do you know what I feel?" She said, trying to control her cries. "Your eyes tell lily." He replied. He's right, she indeed was as pure as a lil...