Lifemates and Kindred Spirits...

By DontYouWantToKnow

[COMPLETED] I do not own any of these characters. All rights go to Lucy Maud Montegomery Based on Anne of Gre... More

Introduction
After Thoughts
Morning Surprises
Afternoon Comes
Old Times Sake Part 1
Old Times Sake Part 2
Love is a Strong Word
Over The Hill
The Plan
The Changes Within
The One Who Got Away
Josie's Apology
Destiny Determined
Arrangements
The Concert Part 1
The Concert Part 2

Evening Winds

519 32 16
By DontYouWantToKnow

Credit goes to L.M Montgomery for the passage from Anne of Green Gables. And special thanks to @ImanOfGreenGables for supporting my story.

Anne's POV

I was sitting outside, watching the sun go down slowly. It was a beautiful sight indeed, like a canvas painting. There were a mixture of colours in the sky: oranges, pinks and dark blues. The sky chose it themselves. The soft glowing ball, which was above the land in front of me, was all the oranges you can think of, and with a yellow outline. One can admire it for hours, you would wish it stayed still, so that you can look at it forever. And indeed it made me want to stay there forever, however as the sun was also going down I had to commence my plan to go to Matthew's grave and go find Gilbert afterwards, so I left with the sun disappearing for human's eye for the day.

As I made my way across the Lake of Shining Waters, I had a memory of mine and Matthew's drive along here when he first came to get me from the train station...

"That's Barry's pond," said Matthew.

"Oh, I don't like that name, either. I shall call it—let me see—the Lake of Shining Waters. Yes, that is the right name for it. I know because of the thrill. Why do other people call it Barry's pond?"

"I reckon because Mr. Barry lives up there in that house. Orchard Slope's the name of his place. If it wasn't for that big bush behind it you could see Green Gables from here. But we have to go over the bridge and round by the road, so it's near half a mile further."

"Oh, here we are at the bridge. I'm going to shut my eyes tight. I'm always afraid going over bridges. I can't help imagining that perhaps just as we get to the middle, they'll crumple up like a jack-knife and nip us. So I shut my eyes. But I always have to open them for all when I think we're getting near the middle. Because, you see, if the bridge did crumple up I'd want to see it crumple. What a jolly rumble it makes! I always like the rumble part of it. Isn't it splendid there are so many things to like in this world? There we're over. Now I'll look back. Good night, dear Lake of Shining Waters. I always say good night to the things I love, just as I would to people. I think they like it. That water looks as if it was smiling at me."

I smiled thinking about the memory, and then tears came to my eyes. I remember it so vividly, oh dear how much I used to ramble! But Matthew loved it, and he was my first kindred spirit. He will always be missed by me. I heard someone say once that if you don't forget someone's they aren't truly dead. So I shall keep on remembering Matthew for as long as I live. Oh, how much I miss dear Matthew! Tears started to spill quickly, and I quickly wiped them away. Matthew wouldn't want me to mourn him like this all the time, he would want to be remembered with a smile and laughs. So I shall do that, smile and laugh for him. Because that is what he would have wanted.

As I was thinking about Matthew, I saw a lovely rosebush out of the corner out of my eye I saw a yellow rosebush. I immediately walked over to it and started to admire the beautiful flowers. I thought to myself 'I must take these somehow to Matthew's grave'. I started to pluck some of the flowers, and then I started walking to Avonlea's graveyard again.

When I reached, I spotted Matthew's grave and ran over to it. I put the roses and watered them. I lingered there for a little while longer, thinking of the memories associated with Matthew. I smiled and laughed for him, as I promised myself I would do. The memories of Matthew shall be cherished forever by me, because that is all I have left of him.

As I remembering him, little did I know someone was watching me for a little while now...

Gilbert's POV 

I have been watching Anne for the past ten minutes now. I didn't know how to go up to her. We only just became friends, the idea is still very fresh to me. I also realised I was standing there as I was also admiring her red hair (as her back was towards me). She was also started to chuckle softly, as she was probably remembering some memory associated with him. Her chuckle sounded like gold to me, a chuckle I would never forget. 

I realised I was staring at her, and I told myself off for not going up to her. I can't just stand here like this if I actually wanted to speak to her, so I decided to 'man up' and go talk to her. How bad can it be? I imagined for a few minutes worst case scenarios, and then I started to walk up to her...

Third Person POV

Gilbert walked up to Anne and asked politely and in a very 'gentlemen' manner whether he could join her and Anne accepted graciously. They sat there for a few minutes, lost in their own worlds, until Gilbert spoke up and asked "How has your week been?"

"It's been very hectic that's for sure. How about yours?"

"Same as yours."

They sat there for a few minutes longer, a comfortable silence lingered for a little while. Neither of them were used to the idea of them being friends and neither of them knew what to talk about either. Gilbert decided he did not like the silence as he actually wanted to talk to Anne. So he asked her "What is your favorite season?" He wanted to get to know more about her and if he wanted to believe they were meant for each other, he needed to ask these sorts of questions. Of course, knowing Anne a little bit, he knew she would have loads to say about the subject. And boy he was right. Anne responded with:

"Oh I do love all the seasons I really do. With autumn the colours so varied and vibrant gives me such a thrill and the leaves crunching underneath my feet. When the leaves are undisturbed though their soft rustling is like music to my ears. Oh then there is winter with everything frozen, it looks so tranquil. Everything looks like it can be blown away in a breath. Oh and summer, with the world so warm and cosy, and everything outside being happy for the heat. And the sun makes everything shine so much more. But I have to say spring is my favourite one, with everything blooming and coming out for a fresh new start again. It's like the world is re-growing. And my favourite flowers come out of that time of year; mayflowers. I have loved them since I can remember. I like smelling them, oh their scent is ever so sweet. And the colour is beautiful to me. I don't think there is any other flowers better than mayflowers, do you Gilbert? Oh I am so sorry Gilbert for my rambling I do apologise! Some people do find it quite annoying."

"Anne it's alright!" Gilbert exclaimed but he thought to himself 'I actually enjoy it, that's one of the many things I love about you' but of course he didn't say this aloud because of the fear of scaring Anne away. Anne asked:

"What's your favourite season Gilbert?"

"Well I, myself, fancy winter because as you said because of the tranquil. How the snow looks as white as a sheet. When it is undisturbed, it is quite a sight. Everything does look like it can be blown away with a breath. Also, the fact I enjoy the cold makes me love winter even more."

Anne chuckled at this. Gilbert chuckled as well. They carried on with their conversation for quite some time more, both of them enjoying each other's company. They both learned a bit more about one another, their past, their favourites, with Anne realizing more and more Gilbert truly was a kindred spirit (she also had that weird feeling in her stomach again which she decided to ignore), and Gilbert realizing more and more how much he was falling for Anne. The conversation came up to a point where they recalled the same day with one another. Gilbert told her about his meeting with the board of trustees and Anne telling him about her and Marilla's meetings with everyone in town. With that they thought ended their conversation with:

"Good luck Gilbert with the White Sands school post. I am sure you will get it."

"And good luck to you too Anne, I hope everything works out at Green Gables."

"I hope so too. Thank you for stopping by."

"It is my pleasure. See you soon Anne."

"See you soon too Gilbert."

Anne started to walk away when Gilbert called her.

"Wait Anne," he said running up to her, "you said you were keeping up with your studies by correspondence right? So am I, so can we, um, maybe study together?"

"Oh Gilbert that would be very helpful, thank you! We can rub off our smarts on each other I guess. After all, I need help with Geometry as I am a dunce at it, may you please help me with that?" Never would have Anne admitted that a few weeks ago, especially not to Gilbert Blythe! However, many thing have changed, some for the better and some for the worse. 

"Of course Anne. Anything to help a friend." A friend, that's all they were, for now. However friendship is better than nothing at the moment for Gilbert so he was ecstatic at the moment. If you saw him smiling you would say he looked like a moke. However, all good things must come to an end, so their conversation came to an end for the night, and they started to part ways...

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys hope you enjoyed this chapter <3. As usual please don't forget to comment and leave a vote, and thank you for reading (please don't be afraid to criticize but not to harshly). Thank you <3.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.4K 1.3K 33
"Evelyn you will not talk to that girl. She is too much of a bad example for you." "But father you hardly know her if only you can-" "No Evelyn!" W...
218K 4.5K 52
relationships, breakups, frenemies. all in a modern avonlea with the modern 'anne with an e' characters!
49.9K 428 20
Just random Anne with an E imagines I do requests: instructions in book <3 (closed!) please do not request smuts! All rights go to the Anne with an...
69.3K 1.9K 31
"Tragical romance and all?" "Remains to be seen." ------------- There was a boy, There was a girl, There was a place called Avonlea. started august 2...